Early 2018 Oscar predictions

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The Oscar race will begin very soon. Goldderby has made a very long list of predictions, but I looked up only what their editors are predicting. Otherwise the long list can drive one crazy.

http://www.goldderby.com/video/2018...dictions-slugfest-editors-track-frontrunners/

I have not seen most of these movies, which is not surprising. Most contenders are released in late December/January. The list gives me some ideas for which movies to put on my 'to see' list. I have already placed 'The post' and 'The darkest hour' on that list. Also Molly's game, Shape of water, Lady Bird may be worth seeing.

My very limited list of possible Oscar nominees (This will grow by a mile as we approach January):

Best Picture: Dunkirk; Stronger; Only the brave

Best director: Christopher Nolan- Dunkirk

Best actor: Jake Gyllenhaal- Stronger; Woody Harrelson - LBJ (poor box office results will hurt his chances); will likely add Gary Oldman, Daniel Day Lewis

Best actress: Jessica Chastain - The zoo keeper's wife (but I am seeing her mentioned for 'Molly's game' which I have not seen); Emma Stone (Battle of the sexes);

Best supporting actor: Mark Rylance (Dunkirk); Steve Carrell (Battle of the sexes); Miles Teller (Only the brave)

Best supporting actress: Tatiana Maslany - Stronger (could be in the Lead actress category, but has a better chance of winning in this category); Jennifer Jason Leigh (LBJ)

Cinematography: Dunkirk, The mountain between us, Murder on the Orient express; The lost city of Z

Costumes: MOTOE; The lost city of Z; Battle of the sexes

Art direction: Dunkirk, MOTOE

Make up: LBJ; The darkest hour

Original screenplay:?

Adapted screenplay: LBJ; Only the brave; The zoo keeper's wife

Jay42

Between the click of the light
In relation to Best Actress nominees, if Jessica Chastain gets nominated it will be for Molly's Game, The Zookeepers Wife came out too long ago and didn't get enough positive attention overall to get a possible Oscar nomination for Chastain. Molly's Game on the other hand has Oscar written all over it and has received mostly positive reviews.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
In relation to Best Actress nominees, if Jessica Chastain gets nominated it will be for Molly's Game, The Zookeepers Wife came out too long ago and didn't get enough positive attention overall to get a possible Oscar nomination for Chastain. Molly's Game on the other hand has Oscar written all over it and has received mostly positive reviews.

Yes, Godderby has listed her for Molly's game. I plan to see it. Also Saoirse Ronan is mentioned for Lady Bird (not Johnson).

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Yes, Godderby has listed her for Molly's game. I plan to see it. Also Saoirse Ronan is mentioned for Lady Bird (not Johnson).
Lady Bird is Greta Gerwig's directorial debut. It's the best reviewed movie of the awards season so far. I've been seeing early buzz for Laurie Metcalf in supporting for Lady Bird as well.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I have only seen the trailer with Gary Oldman playing Churchill and am already predicting he will win the Oscar.

screech

From what I've heard, Gary Oldman is the frontrunner for best actor (yay!) and Allison Janney is currently getting the biggest buzz for Supporting Actress for I, Tonya (though Laurie Metcalf's name is on the rise).

Though people are predicting Gary (who I adore), I wouldn't be surprised to somehow see Daniel Day Lewis sneak in there, since the movie he has coming out in time for awards season is his 'last movie' because he's announced his retirement. He's the most successful actor ever in the lead actor category (winning lead actor 3 times).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
From what I've heard, Gary Oldman is the frontrunner for best actor (yay!) and Allison Janney is currently getting the biggest buzz for Supporting Actress for I, Tonya (though Laurie Metcalf's name is on the rise).

Though people are predicting Gary (who I adore), I wouldn't be surprised to somehow see Daniel Day Lewis sneak in there, since the movie he has coming out in time for awards season is his 'last movie' because he's announced his retirement. He's the most successful actor ever in the lead actor category (winning lead actor 3 times).

I don't think they will give DDL Oscar number 4 when there are strong contenders like Oldman in that category. No retirement is permanent.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Anyone who can play Churchill, Elvis, Sid Vicious, Beethoven, Joe Orton, Lee Harvey Oswald and Dylan Thomas (to name some of the real life people he has portrayed, let alone Sirius Black and George Smiley in fiction) certainly has range.
For me is one of those actors that just fits in any role he is given. I didn't even realise he played Commissioner Gordon in Batman until the end credits the first time I saw him in that role. You also have to remember Zorg in The Fifth Element.

Gary Oldman roles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf6AiFW8wk4

I love that we are talking about Gary Oldman. He never has to be the leading man but he certainly makes an impact when he is on the screen.

meggonzo

Banned Member
Oldman IMDB entry - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000198/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Been nominated for one Oscar. He is certainly very versitile actor.

I looked him up right after I posted. :duh: I remember him being nominated a few years ago, but was surprised that was his only nomination.

Anyone who can play Churchill, Elvis, Sid Vicious, Beethoven, Joe Orton, Lee Harvey Oswald and Dylan Thomas (to name some of the real life people he has portrayed, let alone Sirius Black and George Smiley in fiction) certainly has range.

and Dracula!

screech

Whenever I hear of Gary Oldman + Oscar, I think of his guest starring role on Friends (as a co-star of Joey's) when Joey insists his character has won an Oscar (which I believe was an 'in' joke about Gary having never even been nominated to that point for some ridiculous reason).

He also played my absolute favourite Harry Potter character (books AND movies). And he looked really sexy as Dracula, somehow.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I always think of Oldman as a very old actor- may be because of his name? :lol:

He was very good in Immortal beloved in a lead role, but I somehow think of him as a character actor. I would like to see his portrayal of Churchill.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I really liked Dunkirk. I hope it will get many Oscar nominations, including best picture and best director, cinematography. It's not really an 'acting' movie though all the actors did very well.

I am rooting for Jessica Chastain to win an Oscar finally. Haven't seen Molly's game yet. I was not all that thrilled with other front runners like Three billboards.... and Lady bird. Good, but not worthy of BP Oscar, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information