DWTS Season 21 cast rumors....anyone?

ross_hy

I'm confused about the rules regarding Kim. When people have been unable to dance before, they haven't had to withdraw have they?

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
I'm confused about the rules regarding Kim. When people have been unable to dance before, they haven't had to withdraw have they?

I know in cases where there was an injury or such, the judges judged the most recent full run-through via video tape, but [I believe] it must be from a studio run-through. And since they weren't in Los Angeles to attend any of the rehearsals, the judges had nothing to go by, unfortunately.

ross_hy

I know in cases where there was an injury or such, the judges judged the most recent full run-through via video tape, but [I believe] it must be from a studio run-through. And since they weren't in Los Angeles to attend any of the rehearsals, the judges had nothing to go by, unfortunately.

Makes sense. I had forgotten that the rehearsal footage was judged. I wonder if they would bring Kim back for a future season? I don't remember them doing that previously.

jkl

I guess that was more for dramatic affect but that was rude and mean to tell Andy and Alison and Paula and Louie they were in jeopardy.....then tell them they weren't.:eek:

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
Makes sense. I had forgotten that the rehearsal footage was judged. I wonder if they would bring Kim back for a future season? I don't remember them doing that previously.

Probably not. If they haven't extended an(other) invite to Jewel and Nancy O'Dell, both who had to withdraw before the competition even started, then I don't think they'd brink her back.

Kind of stinks, I wish they'd allow some that had to withdraw due to injury another shot (Misty May, Dorothy Hamill, etc), but I can see now how a lot of people would be screaming unfairness over it.

screech

The rules were a bit open to interpretation. Tom said 'if someone cannot dance due to illness or injury...' and Kim can't compete because she couldn't get there - if she'd lived closer she could have driven. So this is making it equivalent to if, for example, Andy's flight from wherever he's touring is grounded, he'd therefore have to be eliminated (which they wouldn't do).

It's a crappy situation all around.

Anyway,
I personally thought Bindi had the best dance of the night. Did I see something that the judges didn't? And the opposite, the judges must have seen something in Alek that I didn't because I didn't find his dance that great.

Alexa and Mark were great, though I was distracted by the clothes. I thought Nick and Sharna were really good. I thought Tamar was good from the knees down, but the upper 2/3 of her body wasn't that great tonight. For Gary and Anna, I was more focused on 'Wednesday and Pugsley' fighting over the chair in the background.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
The rules were a bit open to interpretation. Tom said 'if someone cannot dance due to illness or injury...' and Kim can't compete because she couldn't get there - if she'd lived closer she could have driven. So this is making it equivalent to if, for example, Andy's flight from wherever he's touring is grounded, he'd therefore have to be eliminated (which they wouldn't do).

It's a crappy situation all around.

Anyway,
I personally thought Bindi had the best dance of the night. Did I see something that the judges didn't? And the opposite, the judges must have seen something in Alek that I didn't because I didn't find his dance that great.

Alexa and Mark were great, though I was distracted by the clothes. I thought Nick and Sharna were really good. I thought Tamar was good from the knees down, but the upper 2/3 of her body wasn't that great tonight. For Gary and Anna, I was more focused on 'Wednesday and Pugsley' fighting over the chair in the background.

It's not the same. If Andy's flight was grounded but he had rehearsal footage there would be something to judge. In Kim's case there was nothing to judge. I think it was completely fair because it was obviously by the rules, according to Tom. I haven't watched every season so I don't know if they have ever had to cut someone who couldn't perform but if so they would be opening a can of worms to bend the rules for Kim & not do it for others.

I thought Alexa & Mark were the best of the night & deserved some 10's. My next favs were Alek & Lindsey & Nick & Sharna, followed by Bendi & Derek (her foot was hurt & she made several visable mistakes). I really like Carlos & Witney but they were kind of forgettable.

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
Harsh but by the letter of the rules, fair. And we don't know if they've never invited Jewel or Nancy O'Dell back and they've declined or been unable to make the schedule work, so we don't know if they would invite her back or not.

Bindi looked a little 'meh'---her upper body was rather sloppy. Alek and Alexa were the best numbers of the night, I though, then Nick and Bindi. And I suspect the reason they did a "You are in jeopardy" thing despite knowing they weren't going to eliminate anyone to do a vote scare--remember to vote or else! Next week no saves!

madm

Why would anyone want to compete after having a TIA scare? Kim should be resting and on medication to reduce the chances of this happening again. My brother-in-law, who has a stressful job as a spine surgeon, had a TIA while performing surgery a year ago (where he turned things over to another surgeon), and he had to take 3 months off work to recuperate and make some major lifestyle changes.

According to Wikipedia:
"Having a TIA is a risk factor for eventually having a stroke or a silent stroke. A silent stroke or silent cerebral infarct (SCI) differs from a TIA in that there are no immediately observable symptoms. An SCI may still cause long lasting neurological dysfunction affecting such areas as mood, personality and cognition. An SCI often occurs before or after a TIA or major stroke."

It's entirely too risky for Kim to return to dancing on the show.

BaileyCatts

If Kim wouldn't have been the one voted off last night due to last weeks votes (and if she was, they would have called it via the votes, right?), she would be the the next 1-3 to go anyway. Its not like she was going to win and thems the rulz. :p First 5 to be eliminated, in any random order, would be Chaka, Victor, Paula, Kim and Gary anyway. Although, someone might be a shock elimination and Gary sticks another round due to the crazy factor. :lol:

It was nice to see Tony be able to dance with a real partner though! :cheer2:

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
I just don't think some housewife on a reality show is a "star". The show isn't called Dancing With the Wannabe-Celebrities.
While I might agree with you, DWTS has always had a very wide range of who/what they put forth as their "stars." There are plenty of former athletes -- some of them former "stars" of their sport, but others not so much. And the Bachelor/Bachlorette alums get a chance because of their show's ABC connection. Ditto for former Disney performers.

Twizzler

While I might agree with you, DWTS has always had a very wide range of who/what they put forth as their "stars." There are plenty of former athletes -- some of them former "stars" of their sport, but others not so much. And the Bachelor/Bachlorette alums get a chance because of their show's ABC connection. Ditto for former Disney performers.

Slightly off topic, but who would you say is the biggest star that has ever appeared on the show?? It does seem like mostly "wannabes" from season to season with a few big names sprinkled in.

michiruwater

I hate to say this, but Kim Kardashian would probably be the biggest star who ever appeared.

Other than her, I looked through the lists and can't really decide. Denise Richards? Vivica A. Fox? Jane Seymour? Bill Nye? (Who doesn't know Bill Nye?) There's no one really super famous, currently, except Ms. Kardashian, but several competitors were quite famous for an extended period of time in the past and are still fairly well-known.

Last edited:

screech

Kim wasn't nearly as famous when she was on the show(season 7 way back in 2008!!) as she is now, since that was in season 7, way back in 2009 (according to wikipedia, her sex tape and Keeping Up with the KarTrashians both happened in 2007, so she wasn't 'huge' yet). I'd say her brother Rob was a bigger celebrity when he competed than she was when she did.

At the time they competed, 'stars' who were popular, or at least relevant to the general population (IMO)...
- Erin Andrews (popular with the sports crowd, plus her peeping tom scandal had just happened)
- Billy Ray Cyrus (he was on Hannah Montana at the time)
- Mel B (was touring with Spice girls at the time)
- Penn Gillette
- Kelly Osbourne (their reality show was either still on or had just ended)
- Donnie and Marie (I don't think they've ever really been unpopular...)
- Nicole Scherzinger (I think the Pussycat Dolls were still relevant)

I'd have to say though, I think the biggest celebrity while competing was probably Amber Riley, since she was on Glee when it was still somewhat relevant when she competed.

michiruwater

I suppose if we look at it from the context of that year rather than from now looking back, that is true.

I'd disagree about Glee though. By the time season 5, which was airing at that time, was on, its ratings had dropped precipitously. By the end of that season it wasn't even seeing 2 million viewers per episode.

Kelly was on DWTS 4 years after The Osbournes ended. Do people who watch Hannah Montana also watch DWTS? I have no idea. Erin Andrews, totally true.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I don't care how big or not athletes, minor actors, models, etc are, at least they DO something. Their talent brought them into the spotlight in order to be asked, not playing themselves on a voyeuristic show. Or starring in a sex video.

skatesindreams

I appreciate those who work hard and get the most from the experience.
Occasionally, you'll find someone who discovers a talent they didn't know they had.

That's why I watch.

screech

So I was reading a bit more (from different gossip sites) about the withdrawal rules. It seems that if a competitor has rehearsed in the actual ballroom the footage can be used to judge. Since Kim only rehearsed in Atlanta (and it seems the film crews were there to record it), it's not usable, since it wasn't in the ballroom.

So it does seem like my earlier example is valid, when I compared it to, for example, if Andy wasn't able to make it back to LA because his flight is grounded - he would be required to withdraw. Because he would have no rehearsal footage in the actual ballroom.

In any case, it's a sucky situation. I'm not a fan of Kim or her dancing, I just think that there is the possibility for them to fight the rules, if they really want to.

skatfan

I think the producers were really wanting kim to continue, but the lawyers saw the liability side of things regarding future strokes and then there are the rules, which are a good thing.

It's surprising that with all the. Celebs who travel while doing the show, I can't think of one who missed the show because of airplane issues. I guess they'd pay for a jet if need be.

my little pony

polishing Madison Hubbell's OGM
if the rules say she has to have rehearsed in the ballroom and she didnt, how is it possible to fight the rules?

Cachoo

So who do you think is going to win? Who do you think should win? My mother said every time the train hero is on there is a ton of applause even if he is not the best. And she's giving him her votes. One person who would have me GLUED to DWTS should he appear is Adam Lambert. And of course any figure skater and I want to see the Shibs on DWTS.

screech

I guess my point is that if someone had just been unable to travel (without illness), the show probably would have found a loophole and made it a non-elimination week, because it was out of their control. Especially if that someone had the new 'darling' of the show as their partner. Kim was able to dance, but just couldn't travel. Oh well. It's over and done with.

Based on what I see so far, I think Bindi, Alek and Hayes are probably the big vote-getters. Hayes has the kids, Alek has the patriotic crowd, and Bindi is just so charming. I wanted to cheer for Nick, but so far he's not doing it for me. I think Tamar is one of the better dancers, but I don't know if she has the following. The PenaVegas are probably the best dancers on the show, but I don't know what their followings are like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information