Dancing with the Stars - Season 32

screech

Details about the new season of DWTS are starting to trickle out before the official cast announcement to take place on September 13th.

As announced a few months ago, Julianne Hough is rejoining the show, this time as Alfonso’s co-host. I believe Alfonso will be the ‘floor’ host, while Julianne will be the skybox co-host (I may be wrong, though). Derek, Bruno, and Carrie-Ann are the judges, with Derek as the head judge.

Confirmed ‘stars’:
Charity Lawson (The Bachelorette)
Ariana Maddix (Vanderpump Rules)

Announced but not yet officially confirmed:
Mira Sorvino (Academy Award-winning actress).

SAG-AFTRA actors are allowed to participate in DWTS while the strike is going on, as DWTS has a different kind of ‘code’. Though don’t expect too many actors, as they may think it looks bad to be participating in a show on one of the major studios that they’re striking against. It'll probably be a reality show-heavy season.

Kristyn Burtt reports that there are 13 teams this year, with 7 male pros and 6 female pros. Apparently there is no troupe. Witney Carson has confirmed that she will not be participating this season. Based on social media, it is speculated that Rylee Arnold (Lindsey’s sister who participated on DWTS Juniors) will be announced a pro. I’m guessing that since she’s 18, there’s probably a younger male ‘star’ taking part.

In non-Season 32 news, Derek and Hayley were married this past weekend.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Yes, with the strikes I would imagine that DWTS will have even less starry 'stars' than in previous seasons.

screech

The full cast announcement is tomorrow, but today it was confirmed that Jamie Lynn Spears is on the show, paired with Alan. I just really hope that they don't let her dance to a Britney song. She says she plans to donate the salary she gets each week to SAG-AFTRA, which is good for her, but also likely a way for her to try to get some positivity around her, instead of focus on her troubled relationship with her sister.

vgerdes

There are actually a handful of names on this list that I recognize, which hasn't been the case for the past couple of seasons. I just don't know if I can bear to watch without Len there. (RIP, Mr. Goodman.) I certainly won't miss Tyra though.

love skating

Clueless American
I was looking forward to watching again now that it's back on ABC, but I don't know half these people. That's okay though - many of my favorite contestants in the past I didn't know who they were to begin with. However, no one (of those that I actually know) really excites me. I just hope it's not a Bachelorette winning again - yawn.

vgerdes

I was laughing because USA Today listed her as the "American Pie and How I Met Your Mother actress" and my first thought was the only reason I cared about her was because of Buffy!
Same. Loved her on "Buffy." I don't think I ever saw "American Pie," and I wasn't a big fan of "How I Met Your Mother."

Desperado

I completely forgot AH was on HIMYM. In my defence, I’ve been trying to forget that show ever since I saw its finale.

I also know Matt Walsh from his Veep work and that’s it for knowing contestants.

As always, I’m willing to give the show a shot especially now that it’s back on TV and my dad can watch. I hope they do Len proud.

vgerdes

Alyson Hannigan is irrelevant enough to be on DWTS now?? Wow.
She really hasn't worked a whole lot since HIMYM went off the air, in all honesty. Small roles and voice-over work, mainly. That might have been deliberate -- she and her husband Alexis Denisof have two daughters who are just entering their tween/teen years.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
It's a good cast IMO. Jamie Lynn will certainly be one of the first to go-- I'm shocked she's actually there with all of the stuff that has come out about Britney's family.

I'd say Ariana Madix will probably win. The amount of endorsements and opportunities she's gotten since the Vanderpump Rules scandal has been incredible.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Oh, wow, I know tons of these people. And many of them are real actors, singers, etc., not just reality TV stars. I think this is a great cast. Now I have to figure out how to watch it since we ditched cable.

nickp

this strike might bring back spring seasons I mean ABC ain’t got nothing else going for them right now so why not bring back 2 seasons a year

screech

I'm kind of surprised about Xochitl Gomez, since she's an actor who's career is on the rise. But I guess being a Marven actor, she fits the Disney requirement. They must have high hopes for her since she's paired with Val.

I could have sworn Jason Mraz had already done DWTS, but looking at the cast lists, I was thinking of Gavin DeGraw

While Jamie Lynn's 'controversy' is the most universally well known, I think the worst controversy this season is regarding Adrian Peterson, and I'm incredibly disappointed that he's on the show.

I'm surprised about the number of actors. I swear I read that actors are not permitted to discuss completed projects as part of the strike rules, so I wonder how that will work. OR, since DWTS has different rules as an unscripted reality show, maybe they have permission? If permission is granted, I really hope that Mira Sorvino recreates the iconic dance from Romy and Michelle (hopefully on a week with a trio dance, so someone can fill the Lisa Kudrow role)

vgerdes

While Jamie Lynn's 'controversy' is the most universally well known, I think the worst controversy this season is regarding Adrian Peterson, and I'm incredibly disappointed that he's on the show.
Eh. DWTS has always thrived on controversial contestants and letting them attempt to rehabilitate their image by being on the show. They usually have at least two per season, with decidedly mixed results. It's part and parcel of the show at this point. I'm never surprised anymore. I mean, they tried to get Lance Armstrong for years.

screech

Eh. DWTS has always thrived on controversial contestants and letting them attempt to rehabilitate their image by being on the show. They usually have at least two per season, with decidedly mixed results. It's part and parcel of the show at this point. I'm never surprised anymore. I mean, they tried to get Lance Armstrong for years.
Lance Armstrong is different than someone (Adrian) pleading no contest to assaulting their 4-year-old child (Trigger warning if clicking this link to TMZ. It includes details and images). This link, discusses a different incident with another of his young children, including justifying his actions saying 'I felt so bad. But he did it to his self'.

vgerdes

Lance Armstrong is different than someone (Adrian) pleading no contest to assaulting their 4-year-old child (Trigger warning if clicking this link to TMZ. It includes details and images). This link, discusses a different incident with another of his young children, including justifying his actions saying 'I felt so bad. But he did it to his self'.
It's not that I'm indifferent, I'm just... utterly unsurprised. Mike Tyson appeared on the Argentine version of the show, and the Italian one as well. They're just shameless in that regard. Anything for ratings.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm surprised about the number of actors. I swear I read that actors are not permitted to discuss completed projects as part of the strike rules, so I wonder how that will work. OR, since DWTS has different rules as an unscripted reality show, maybe they have permission? If permission is granted, I really hope that Mira Sorvino recreates the iconic dance from Romy and Michelle (hopefully on a week with a trio dance, so someone can fill the Lisa Kudrow role)
They won't be allowed to talk about their current projects and any struck projects (which are basically the same list). However, I doubt recreating a dance from a very old movie would be a problem based on what I am reading.

The actors are probably available because of the strike and DWTS has benefited.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
It's not that I'm indifferent, I'm just... utterly unsurprised. Mike Tyson appeared on the Argentine version of the show, and the Italian one as well. They're just shameless in that regard. Anything for ratings.

Mike Tyson is actually a big star in Argentina - he had a TV talk show there for a while. I don't quite understand it myself, but I was told that people there admire him because he came from a poor family and had a tough childhood, and made something of himself despite all that.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I really lost interest in this show eons ago, but with nothing on TV until a long time after strike is settled - if it is - I'll be watching fake reality shows.

Only a couple of "stars" I recognize.

screech

So apparently DWTS is a WGA-covered show, and the WGA will be picketing. The individuals we see on screen are authorized under SAG-AFTRA rules due to being under a different SAG contract, however the WGA is involved in the show, and does not have a different kind of contract. So participation in the show is getting a bit of negativity for SAG members, who are expected to show solidarity with the WGA.

screech

The strikes are causing a real mess with this season:
  • The WGA is picketing the show as DWTS has one unionized writer. The celebrities did not know it was a WGA show when they signed on, and thought the SAG agreement was enough. One of the celebrities, Matt Walsh, is a member of both SAG and the WGA. He has announced that he's 'paused' his involvement with the show in solidarity with his union.
  • The WGA wants the other actors on this season to leave the show, as SAG and WGA are supposed to be in solidarity. HOWEVER, SAG is saying that if the actors leave the show they are in breach of their SAG contracts, despite that they'll be crossing a picket line. Note that DWTS is under a different SAG contract than scripted TV/Movies, so they were permitted, by SAG to participate in the show (though following the strike guidelines, such as not discussing any projects)
There is speculation that DWTS will postpone its premiere if an agreement is not reached before the currently scheduled premiere date (next week) but as of right now, no announcement has been made on ANY of the issues. They're still promoting a premiere of next week, they've not commented on Matt Walsh's departure, and they've not commented on the SAG contracts.

screech

With the Writer's Strike over, DWTS is set to premiere as planned tonight. AND, Matt Walsh rejoined the show after the strike ended.
Apparently there will be a week one elimination...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information