Dancing With the Stars - Season 30

Barbara Manatee

I'm glad Maks was able to get out. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at the number of keyboard warriors giving him grief for it. Too easy to play hero from a world away.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
In his videos he's mentioned that he's luckier than others in that he has ways out and a passport. Having US citizenship (he became a citizen in 2019) is likely really helping him a lot.
I'm glad he is safe, but I feel for those who aren't as lucky. My heart goes out to all the families separated during all of this.

Johnny_Fever

I'm glad Maks was able to get out. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at the number of keyboard warriors giving him grief for it. Too easy to play hero from a world away.
Are they suggesting that he should have stuck around and fought? At this point, I have some doubts that he would have made it out alive.

pixie cut

In his videos he's mentioned that he's luckier than others in that he has ways out and a passport. Having US citizenship (he became a citizen in 2019) is likely really helping him a lot.
Peta became a citizen in 2019. Maks has been a citizen for more than 15 years.

mackiecat

Ukraine does not recognize dual nationality. Local authorities will treat dual nationals entering the country on Ukrainian passports as citizens of Ukraine. This may include fulfilling requirements for mandatory military service. In addition, individuals who do not relinquish their Ukrainian citizenship upon acquiring U.S. citizenship face potential fines.
so Maks would no longer hold a Ukrainian passport and would have been in the country as an American citizen

screech

Peta became a citizen in 2019. Maks has been a citizen for more than 15 years.
Maks has resided in the US for almost 30 years, but according to every article or mention I can find, his citizenship became official in 2019

While I understand people's frustration at him getting out while the remaining Ukrainian men are called to fight, I've seen a lot of comments online calling him a coward and berating him for taking advantage of his dual citizenship, which the other men are unable to do.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
While I understand people's frustration at him getting out while the remaining Ukrainian men are called to fight, I've seen a lot of comments online calling him a coward and berating him for taking advantage of his dual citizenship, which the other men are unable to do.
Criticizing while they sit in their comfortable homes. Maybe they should walk a mile in his shoes.

pixie cut

Maks has resided in the US for almost 30 years, but according to every article or mention I can find, his citizenship became official in 2019

There are photos online of a naturalization ceremony in 2019, which was when Peta became a U.S. citizen. Maks has been a U.S. citizen since before he went on DWTS.

mackiecat

According to the research I have done, one can not hold a Ukrainian and US passport. The Ukrainian government rules is that you need to give up your Ukrainian citizenship. So Maks would have been there solely as a US citizen. He did say he felt terrible being the only man leaving.

mackiecat

Right from US Embassy site
Ukraine does not recognize dual nationality.
Individuals who do not relinquish their Ukrainian citizenship upon acquiring U.S. citizenship face potential fines.

screech

According to Wikipedia:
According to the Constitution of Ukraine, Article 4, only one citizenship exists in Ukraine. This does not explicitly deny dual (external) citizenship, so there are citizens of Ukraine who hold dual citizenship.

Also on that same Wikpedia page, on 20 December 2021, President Zelensky signed a bill into law allowing dual citizenship.

Desperado

I'm quite sorry about the move to Disney as it means my octogenarian dad won't get to watch it anymore. On my end, I rotate my streaming subscriptions every 1-2 months to avoid paying for things I don't watch and still haven't found a strong pull to try Disney+ for CA$13/month. They also don't offer free trials to change my mind, so it ends for me at Season 29.

Oh well.

BaileyCatts

30 seasons. Its been a great run. Seen some great dancing. Had a lot of fun watching. Too bad I won't be watching it anymore. Maybe I'll read the thread and catch some youtube videos if there are some standout dances y'all will be talking about, but I'm not watching on my computer or paying extra to watch one single show when I already pay for cable and can watch all the shows I want for that.

So bu-bye Dancing with the Stars. I'm out. :blah:

Last edited:

Lemonade20

How disappointing!!! They're keeping Tyra? I have Disney+, but I don't think it's a smart move. Not unless they drop Tyra and bring it back to ABC.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Double whammy - keeping Tyra & moving to Disney+. I would be willing to pay if Tyra was gone.

Firedancer

I have no plans to get Disney+ just for DWTS. I think this is a really bad choice because a lot of people probably feel that way. And the fact that they are still keeping Tyra is even more reason not to watch.

love skating

Clueless American
DWTS dances are uploaded to youtube all the time. ABC doesn't seem to go after them for copyright but I wonder now that it's on paid streaming if Disney+ would have any videos taken down. If not, I could see myself checking out some dances on youtube if they happen to have a celeb I'm interested in (like a skater or something!)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I have no plans to get Disney+ just for DWTS. I think this is a really bad choice because a lot of people probably feel that way. And the fact that they are still keeping Tyra is even more reason not to watch.
The thing I found weird is that the article said rating went UP with Tyra as the host. :huh:

Lemonade20

Tom had personality and a sense of humour. Tyra lacks both and it's painful watching her host. She is awful at interacting with the judges and dancers.

screech

Alfonso Ribeiro will be co-hosting with Tyra this year.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cf_fnsOA9gu/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I won’t be watching because of it being on Disney+ but I still think she should be gone.
While I didn't love Alfonso the instances when he stepped in as host in the past, he's definitely an improvement on Tyra. I kind of wish they'd bring back Frankie Muniz, as I enjoyed him when he was co-host of the kids version, and his love of the show was so apparent.

Also, in other DWTS news, Sharna has had her baby with Brian Austin Green. Their sone, Zane, was born on June 28.

For 'stars' this year, I'm expecting at least one politician, and at least one Olympian. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Amber Heard's lawyer there as well. Maybe Jamie Lynn Spears (or Britney's father, or the ex husband who tried to crash her wedding)

For pros, Sharna is likely out since she has a newborn, and unless anything has changed, Val is likely done. I'm about 50/50 on Peta being there, since this has not been an easy year for her.

ETA I just remembered that Tyra had a recurring role on Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Hopefully with her having known Alfonso for years, he'll be able to bring out some personality in her.

Last edited:

screech

So it seems that Jenna won't be back this year, but Val likely will (despite what he said after last season). Jenna is pregnant with their first child.
In the article it's said she's just shy of her second trimester and due in January, however IMO she definitely looks further along (though that could just be due to her body type).

And I'm doubting Peta will be back, as she and Maks are going through IVF to try to have their second child (she miscarried when he was in Ukraine)

vgerdes

Tom had personality and a sense of humour. Tyra lacks both and it's painful watching her host. She is awful at interacting with the judges and dancers.
I stopped watching after season 29 (which I was watching for Johnny Weir), and I haven't been back. It's just too painful to watch. Tyra and her rampant ego ruined the show for me.

I used to watch America's Top Model, and Tyra was actually tolerable in the early seasons, but eventually she became too much for me on that show too.

screech

The rumours have started about the season 31 cast. Since it's just under a month away from the premiere, we'll probably start having confirmation soon.
In addition to Gene Simmons confirming recently that he turned down the offer to appear, the rumoured contestants so far:
  • GMA’s Dr. Jennifer Ashton (rumoured because she recently 'liked' Alan on Twitter, and he 'liked' her back). Not unrealistic since GMA is an ABC show.
  • Robert Irwin (rumoured because in an interview a couple months ago, he mentioned he'd like to do the show)
  • Real Housewives of Beverly Hills’ Sutton Stracke (rumoured as a 'blind item' was sent to 'Bravo and Cocktails' teasing her participation)
  • Spencer Boldman - I've never heard of him, but he's apparently a Disney actor, which tracks with DWTS casting. (Rumoured because an actress said she couldn’t wait for his next gig, and Spencer commented a dancing emoji)

Confirmed returning pros include Cheryl, Artem, Witney, Brandon, Daniella, and Pasha

mattiecat13

Finished Jennifer Grey's (Season 11 winner) book yesterday. Would have liked to have read some "behind the scenes" juicy tidbits from the show but she wrote more about her neck/back issues while she was a contestant. She did write about how intense the show was and how much time was involved as she says she didn't see her family for weeks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information