'Yellowstone' and the prequel & spin-off shows

Sylvia

TBD
Here's a thread to discuss 'Yellowstone' (the series debuted in 2018 and now its 5th season on the Paramount Network) and any of the prequel & spin-off shows on Paramount+. :)

'1883':
The prequel premiered in December 2021 and told the story of how the Duttons came to own the Yellowstone Ranch land.
The cast included Sam Elliott, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Isabel May, LaMonica Garrett and Marc Rissmann. It also featured Audie Rick, Eric Nelsen, James Landry Hébert and Noah Le Gros.
In February 2022, [Taylor] Sheridan confirmed that the series would not have a second season. That same month, Paramount announced that there would be additional episodes of 1883 but denied that it was a season 2 renewal.
Three months later, the network clarified that there is a planned follow-up with a new story line and different cast members. The limited series will be titled 1883: The Bass Reeves Story and will star David Oyelowo.
'1923':
The upcoming series explores the Dutton Family during Western Expansion, Prohibition and the Great Depression. In May 2022, Paramount+ confirmed that Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren are set to lead the drama, which is slated to premiere in December 2022. One month later, the streaming service announced that the series, originally titled 1932, would now be called 1923. The new name also came with a slight plot change, with the series now focusing on the decade before the Great Depression and the end of Prohibition.
'6666':
The second spinoff, which will be released on Paramount+, is set to focus on the Four Sixes Ranch during present time.
The official synopsis reads, "Founded when Comanches still ruled West Texas, no ranch in America is more steeped in the history of the West than the 6666. Still operating as it did two centuries before, and encompassing an entire county, the 6666 is where the rule of law and the laws of nature merge in a place where the most dangerous thing one does is the next thing."

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
For those who need a Dutton family tree refresher, Ford’s character is the brother of James Dutton (played by Tim McGraw in 1883), the great-great-great-grandfather of John Dutton III (played by Kevin Costner in the modern-day Yellowstone series). James Badge Dale stars as John Dutton Sr. (portrayed in 1883 as child by Audie Rick), Darren Mann plays his son, Jack Dutton (modern-day John Dutton’s grandfather) and Brandon Sklenar is John Dutton Sr.’s brother, Spencer Dutton.
This Dutton era’s leading women are Cara Dutton (Mirren), the wife of Jacob Dutton (Ford), and Emma Dutton (Marley Shelton), the wife of John Dutton Sr. (Dale).

Review of '1923' (premieres today):

By Ani Bundel, cultural critic:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the Binge Watching thread:
Watched the first two episodes of 1923 on Paramount+. It's very good, and as you'd expect Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren are amazing. It does a good job of not glossing over how tough things would have been on the land in that period (or indeed any period). Looking forward to seeing how the story develops.
Wait until you watch episode 3! One of the best hours on TV I’ve seen in awhile.
I wonder how long the month-long Paramount+ free trial will last?

Now the long wait for the 2nd half of Season 5 of Yellowstone to return this summer... (guess I should check out the podcast):

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Re-posting here from the Binge Watching thread:

I wonder how long the month-long Paramount+ free trial will last?

Now the long wait for the 2nd half of Season 5 of Yellowstone to return this summer... (guess I should check out the podcast):
I cancelled my subscription a few months ago and they never unplugged me. Hope they never figure it out. 😁

love skating

Clueless American
When they posted Yellowstone will return in the summer, I was like "What?!" They kept calling it the midseason finale so I thought it would pick up in February or March or something! I assume they showed Jimmy again to get us to watch the 6666 spinoff.

I kind of hate watch Yellowstone since it's hard to find a redeeming character in the show. I have the first two episodes of 1923 on my dvr but not sure I want to watch because I have no intention of subscribing to Paramount+ to watch the rest.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
When they posted Yellowstone will return in the summer, I was like "What?!" They kept calling it the midseason finale so I thought it would pick up in February or March or something! I assume they showed Jimmy again to get us to watch the 6666 spinoff.

I kind of hate watch Yellowstone since it's hard to find a redeeming character in the show. I have the first two episodes of 1923 on my dvr but not sure I want to watch because I have no intention of subscribing to Paramount+ to watch the rest.
I’m surprised they haven’t even given a hint of when/if the 6666 spin-off will be announced. I keep thinking there won’t be a spin-off and they’ll find a way to bring Jimmy and Emily back to Montana.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I still haven't watched Yellowstone, just 1883 and now 1923. I guess I'm watching them in chronological order. :lol:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
A friend is Wes Bently's (Jamie) aunt. He's been worried he'll be out of a job. The cast doesn't get to see the scripts until they start filming. After the midseason finale, I'd be worried too. Both of his parents are Methodist ministers as was his grandfather. My friend says they all watch the show with the sound turned down so they sort of mute the language and remind each other he's acting. :lol:

smurfy

I was reading a thread in FB - and seems like Taylor Sheridan may have said the show was for 6 seasons.
And I read in an interview with Josh Lucas that when he was hired back in the beginning - Sheridan spoke about things in season 5. I have enjoyed Sheridan's movies - so it makes sense to me that he might have a plan. As much as it can be sad when a show ends - better to end on a highnote / at a good story point, than keeping them on to keep making $$.

I have only watched Yellowstone, not the others - yet. It is a guilty pleasure - don't like anybody - but can't take my eyes off the train wreck. I did enjoy learning in the last episode about the actual lack of legalities at the Train Station. I appreciate this show like I do 'Succession' - rich people behaving badly and not liking anyone. With Yellowstone I think I really am enjoying the scenery and the issues in Montana - sort of like how I enjoyed Longmire - the conflicts with out of towners / natives etc and developments.

Yes - when is 6666 starting - I feel like I read about before I read abt the other 2. Not a big fan of Jimmy.

rfisher - I get the worry for Wes Bentley. I have seen him on some interview - and what a good actor he is - in person he is so different - seems really nice and not wound tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information