Decisions of the ISU Council: Stockholm Worlds (March 22-28) still on; Synchro Worlds cancelled; 2021 Grand Prix schedule/Beijing test event announced

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Wow, really? I heard about the weight room thing but not that. That's quite something.
I don't think the players knew, but when the press jumped on the weight bench (only one is hardly a room) they found out about the testing. They had no excuse to offer so they're now using the same tests for them that the men are getting. Title IX alive and well.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
well, they do now, :lol: After the complaints, they fixed that problem. The bigger problem there was the women got the cheap, less accurate testing than the men.

Wow, really? I heard about the weight room thing but not that. That's quite something.
Hey, at least with the ISU, they're all getting the same tests!

Sonata

And @Sonata - please note here that all skaters have had to undergo several PCR tests.
Yes - my concern was that someone might already have gotten covid and no longer be contagious but not allowed to compete because they will test positive before boarding the plane, as a person may test positive for up to 3 months after contracting the virus, even if they have done their quarantine and no longer be contagious. That could have eliminated a lot of Russian skaters, for example.

For the athletes who made it on the plane, the assumption would be that if they test positive in Sweden, it is a new infection, because they would have tested negative a multiple times in their home country before traveling. I feel bad for whoever it is that tested positive, let’s hope they and their team are okay.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Yes - my concern was that someone might already have gotten ********* and no longer be contagious but not allowed to compete because they will test positive before boarding the plane, as a person may test positive for up to 3 months after contracting the *****, even if they have done their quarantine and no longer be contagious. That could have eliminated a lot of Russian skaters, for example.

For the athletes who made it on the plane, the assumption would be that if they test positive in Sweden, it is a new infection, because they would have tested negative a multiple times in their home country before traveling. I feel bad for whoever it is that tested positive, let’s hope they and their team are okay.
I understand what you mean. Luckily, I think these people who have experienced CV would've tested again 10 days to 2 weeks after initial positive test to make sure they no longer were testing positive. Also, many skaters (not just limited to Russia) have traveled from A to B over the last 6 or so months and many if not all of them required some kind of testing prior to that. If someone was positive a month or so ago, I would think they were testing as often as possible to make sure the PCR or antibodies was showing something good.

tony

The wedgie-data table is up. Tech panelists listed. Still waiting for list of judges. No starting orders yet.

I see the stunning :summer: Filip Stiller on the technical panel for the men. He's a former Swedish singles skater. Draws and judging panels are never determined until 24 hours before the (first) segment, I believe.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I see the stunning :summer: Filip Stiller on the technical panel for the men. He's a former Swedish singles skater. Draws and judging panels are never determined until 24 hours before the (first) segment, I believe.
Yes, I see. The USA’s Troy Goldstein is Tech Controller for Pairs...for what that’s worth. Good ol’ David Santee, operating the data left & right! Remember when he used to do the ABC Kiss & Cry interviews...the Andrea Joyce of his time.

Sonata

I understand what you mean. Luckily, I think these people who have experienced CV would've tested again 10 days to 2 weeks after initial positive test to make sure they no longer were testing positive. Also, many skaters (not just limited to Russia) have traveled from A to B over the last 6 or so months and many if not all of them required some kind of testing prior to that. If someone was positive a month or so ago, I would think they were testing as often as possible to make sure the PCR or antibodies was showing something good.
Yes, fortunately, it looks like everyone who got CV has had enough time to subsequently test negative. But it would have been a dilemma had they kept testing positive. It’s another layer to consider in the event planning and I was curious about it.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I'm happy to say Philip Hersh has returned to full Hershedness:

1/ From photos circulating on Twitter and Instagram, it appears that a lot of people at #WorldFigure don’t understand the idea of wearing a mask in the presence of others and of social distancing.

2 / I wonder if @ISU_Figure has thought through what happens about Oly place qualifying rules if a skater has to withdraw after short / rhythm because of either Covid positive or contract tracing.

3 / My colleague @LynnRutherford pointed out to me last week there is a complicated new rule applying to countries who earn 2 to 3 Oly spots but don’t have every entrant qualify for free skate / free dance. What if one if them can’t do the free because of Covid?

4 / And, almost on cue, just go a statement from ISU saying there has been one positive PCR test on site. Person not identified. https://mailchi.mp/isu.ch/media-accreditation-isu-european-figure-skating-championships-2019-minsk-blr-4745749?e=3b570eb293

5/ It is this simple: To be socially distanced is to be socially conscious.

6 / I mean, figure skating is hard enough without having thoughts of contracting deadly or debilitating disease in back of your head. And don’t give me the “But they are all young” BS. First, many coaches and officials are old. Second, lot of young people have been very sick

ballettmaus

Yes - my concern was that someone might already have gotten ********* and no longer be contagious but not allowed to compete because they will test positive before boarding the plane, as a person may test positive for up to 3 months after contracting the *****, even if they have done their quarantine and no longer be contagious. That could have eliminated a lot of Russian skaters, for example.
I don't know what tests they're using but when my mom's friend's mother was in the hospital, the mother was tested regularly and the hospital told the friend that her mother was still contagious. So, I'm concluding that they have tests with which the can determine that one is still contagious.

Hope the skater makes a full and quick recovery!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
The third Chinese Team did not go to Sweden. Because the girl is a minor, she cannot be vaccinated with the Chinese vaccine. They decided not to go.
Wthat.they didn'know she was a minor? She isn't registered anywhere in the Chinese federation?

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
Wthat.they didn'know she was a minor? She isn't registered anywhere in the Chinese federation?
I believe she could still have gone to Worlds without being vaccinated. It appears that she (or her parents, or coaches) decided not to risk it?

I guess we could surmise that the skaters do indeed have a choice and not being forced to compete.

Vagabond

I don't know what tests they're using but when my mom's friend's mother was in the hospital, the mother was tested regularly and the hospital told the friend that her mother was still contagious. So, I'm concluding that they have tests with which the can determine that one is still contagious.
"You can be around others after:
  • 10 days since symptoms first appeared and
  • 24 hours with no fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
  • Other symptoms ... are improving*

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Yes, I see. The USA’s Troy Goldstein is Tech Controller for Pairs...for what that’s worth. Good ol’ David Santee, operating the data left & right! Remember when he used to do the ABC Kiss & Cry interviews...the Andrea Joyce of his time.
Back in the day, Troy must have set some kind of event record at the 1992 US Championships. He competed in Senior Men's Singles, Senior Pairs and Senior Dance (in both divisions with his sister, Dawn).

The running joke was that he should have tried to hustle his way into the Synchronised Skating Exhibition as well. Just because.

I loved David's skating, but man oh man, his interview technique was so awkward and stilted. It was painful to watch.

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
JSF will open ticketing for WTT next week. I'm not sure what to think of this,

I assume it's like the Olympics-no international audience? (I cant read Japanese).

There have been audiences at indoor events in the US since the college basketball season (probably other events too). Limited seating.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Uh oh supposedly there’s already a Covid positive test result at the figure skating championships in Sweden. Hopefully everything stays cool. Scroll down to the figure skating topic

Click on the headline that says heard at halftime

Figure Skating ● The ISU World Championships in Stockholm (SWE) started on Monday, but the federation announced a positive test for the coronavirus in the sequestered athlete environment:

“The ISU and Organizing Committee will respect the privacy of the respective person and inform the remaining Event Participants internally of the situation.

“The protocol as set out in the ISU Health Regulations for Event participants is being followed namely:

“– the respective person will not be allowed to participate at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021

“ – the respective person has been quarantined and all the required measures have been followed

“– Close contact persons were identified and isolated for further checks and appropriate measures were taken

“– OC Medical Team/ISU Medical Advisor assessed the situation and followed the ISU Health Regulations for Event Participants in harmony with the Swedish public health guidelines”

AngieNikodinovLove

Oh ANL. Are you talking about the thing that happened yesterday?

I don’t know, what happened yesterday??

It just says an athlete who is sequestered with the skaters in Sweden has tested positive and they will not be competing. Hope it’s an isolated incident and I hope that person stays healthy

tony

The thing ANL quoted was the exact wording published by the ISU yesterday. That person had never left the bubble (ETA- I mean the staying in their room quarantine part until the test came back) once arriving in Sweden because they were awaiting the result of that first test. It's not a doom and gloom situation - it's one that shows the procedure put in place can be used effectively.

AngieNikodinovLove

The thing ANL quoted was the exact wording published by the ISU yesterday. That person had never left the bubble once arriving in Sweden because they were awaiting the result of that first test. It's not a doom and gloom situation - it's one that shows the procedure put in place can be used effectively.

Ok I hope it all stays under control!

AngieNikodinovLove

Yes Looks like it, though the link is broken due to having a forbidden word.

Yeah when you click on the link I posted then click on the next headline under it, “heard at half time…”

And then scroll down to figure skating. Although I copied and pasted most of it in my original post now

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information