The Fifth ISU Grand Prix and the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final of the 2023/24 Allotted to Espoo and Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So you're saying you don't want a Saving Private Ryan/Stars and Stripes Forever/Party in the USA mashup?
Not if it features choreo by Danny G!

But, just you watch, you've now sent a subliminal challenge out to one Ms. Amber Glenn to find the most emo covers of both Stars & Stripes Forever and Party in the USA to go with the instrumentals from the Saving Private Ryan soundtrack.

SidelineSkater

Nancy Kerrigan and Mariah Bell gave us Born on the 4th of July. Adagio for Strings was also featured in the movie Platoon, used by Jeremy Abbott and others.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
If we are going to do voiceovers right we need to consider other famous 80s movie speeches:

My name is Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride
Johnny's letter (read by Pony) in The Outsiders
Squish like grape in Karate Kid or Yoda there is no try speech (Squish like grape compared to there is no try. I need both)
It's our time in The Goonies
Carpe Diem in Dead Poets Society
All good options - and here's my contribution to the famous 80s movie speeches/monologues -

Detention Letter in The Breakfast Club

Trillian

Olivia Smart & Tim Dieck facing off at center ice while Mandy Patinkin voices over, “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya…”

There has to be a way, choreographically, that a woman can be lifted overhead in such a way that it looks exactly like she’s climbing onto a desk at an all-boys boarding school in 1959. The possibilities are really endless once you decide not to be constrained by things like “artistry” and “good taste.”

VGThuy

Sure, that's what's preventing progress. You're actually willing to make the argument that it's the Constitution that is preventing progress when it's worked pretty damn well for the past 230+ years, give or take... At what point do you think the Constitution stopped working? Do you even realize the assault on the Constitution that you're parroting and perpetuating?
I had a much longer reply, and then I realized this was not a PI thread, so I deleted my post.

I moved the discussion here so this thread can remain a GP thread and we can talk about the GP and related topics to attending or looking forward to the upcoming GP season.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Oh I don't expect this thread to stay on topic. ;) As I mentioned earlier, we can have a new GSD thread as soon as tickets go on sale for Skate America in Allen, TX.

VGThuy

Is someone going to skate an ode to the US Constitution program or something?

ngl that could be fire especially if it's someone not from the US I'd love to see that interpretation
Oh. Em. Gee. It’s been a hot minute since a program has made me cringe, so yes please.
Anissina and Peizerat are no longer skating.
I somehow missed this the first time around, and this is my personal favorite reply in what feels like a while.

mattiecat13

I am surprised at the number of people in my own skating group who are refusing to go to Texas for Skate America, with at least some implying it's for political reasons. I don't like Texas politics or the governor either, but why penalize the Dallas FSC and the people who put in the hard work on the bid and who are excited about hosting the event? It sounds like a great place to have an event with hotels and restaurants within walking distance of the arena and the practice rink right there. The weather should be good, too.

Back in the nineties there were multiple cities bidding to host events but I suspect that doesn't happen these days so USFS doesn't have many options. To penalize a successful bid city because of something they have no control over is short sighted at best. Who is the one who will suffer here - it's certainly not the state's representatives or government. I hope there doesn't come a time where there are no "acceptable" bid cities and the US loses the event.

VGThuy

I think we should just allow people to not attend events for reasons that are very personal to them. In fact, and to borrow language from the Supreme Court (this being a subject of thus thread now), one can say they have personally-held beliefs that should be respected and can’t be separated from their identity.

peibeck

Simply looking
There are a lot of close hotels, but I wouldn't consider most of them ones you might want to walk to the venue from. This is a HIGH traffic area with multilane roads. The suburbs of Dallas and Fort Worth have had big population surges in the last 15 years, so unless you stay at the Marriott next door, I'd recommend having a rental or Lyft/Uber plans.

Just a suggestion from someone who has visited this area often since my best friend lived near there until just recently.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
There are a lot of close hotels, but I wouldn't consider most of them ones you might want to walk to the venue from. This is a HIGH traffic area with multilane roads. The suburbs of Dallas and Fort Worth have had big population surges in the last 15 years, so unless you stay at the Marriott next door, I'd recommend having a rental or Lyft/Uber plans.

Just a suggestion from someone who has visited this area often since my best friend lived near there until just recently.
This is correct. These cities just aren't made for walking. If you're not at the hotel next to the venue, you will have to drive. Other hotels are not that close.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

I think the Home2Suites and the Residence Inn are both walkable as it's 1/2 mile and only one major road to cross (Stacy Rd) which does have a crosswalk.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I think the Home2Suites and the Residence Inn are both walkable as it's 1/2 mile and only one major road to cross (Stacy Rd) which does have a crosswalk.
Idk I wouldn't walk that. It's just not very pedestrian friendly around here, although you certainly could if you're brave.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
I am surprised at the number of people in my own skating group who are refusing to go to Texas for Skate America, with at least some implying it's for political reasons.

Their loss!

To penalize a successful bid city because of something they have no control over is short sighted at best.

I think only a small group of fans feel this way, and the USFS has given no indication that it's wading into the political fray here or otherwise. Ticket sales have been bad and declining for years, so I don't think they're going to miraculously do better in Location A v. Location B.

I hope there doesn't come a time where there are no "acceptable" bid cities and the US loses the event.

Fans probably wouldn't like it, but I think the best thing would be to settle on a permanent home and try to build a local audience who would come back year after year. Ideally the place would have a major international airport and some other tourism for those who do travel in. Vegas didn't seem like a terrible idea to me, even though it wasn't my cup of tea.

I think we should just allow people to not attend events for reasons that are very personal to them. In fact, and to borrow language from the Supreme Court (this being a subject of thus thread now), one can say they have personally-held beliefs that should be respected and can’t be separated from their identity.

I agree with your first sentence, and I don't think anyone is saying people should be forced to go to Skate America. On your second sentence, I think it's fair to question / examine how consistent these personally-held beliefs are before saying that they can't be separated from identity. But that's kind of beside the point: if someone doesn't want to spend $ on going to Skate America for whatever reason (silly or otherwise), so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information