Chinese Skating News, Pt. 4: Fresh Noodles for Milan 2026

Status
Not open for further replies.

raruki

Honestly, they should let Luan Bo charge the whole thing. What else can a guy Like Zhang Tianci can do except for asking a grown-up man to throw a 10 yr old girl in the air to do a crazy quintuple twist? When Zhang was still on the national team, It has already proved that he could not help his teams to maintain the levels of the technical elements, and even teach his teams to do a proper death spiral. LET LUAN BO CHARGE THE WHOLE THING PLZ!

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Honestly, they should let Luan Bo charge the whole thing. What else can a guy Like Zhang Tianci can do except for asking a grown-up man to throw a 10 yr old girl in the air to do a crazy quintuple twist? When Zhang was still on the national team, It has already proved that he could not help his teams to maintain the levels of the technical elements, and even teach his teams to do a proper death spiral. LET LUAN BO CHARGE THE WHOLE THING PLZ!

Luan often pairs up big guys with little girls to do crazy elements too and her training method is part of the reasons why Sui / Han have had so many injuries. Not as jarring as Tianci Zhang's 20-something guy + 10-year-old girl team but they are not that fundamentally different either.

On My Own

Luan often pairs up big guys with little girls to do crazy elements too and her training method is part of the reasons why Sui / Han have had so many injuries. Not as jarring as Tianci Zhang's 20-something guy + 10-year-old girl team but they are not that fundamentally different either.
I mean, she's the only one who's really proven she can make amazing skaters, though, apart from Yao Bin. Is he continuing past Beijing? I think he literally only came back for that one season. (ETA: http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2017/09/yao-bin-blast-from-last.html I didn't know he was this good looking 😵 )

I'm not going to comment on what S/Z have accomplished lol.

By the way, is the Jilin province more open to foreign training simply because of Chen Lu? Whereas all the rest of the world and Olympic medalists have been from Heilongjiang and home-grown.

raruki

The chairman of the Chinese sports authority and the Chinese Olympic committee met the Chairman of ISU in Switzerland regarding the future cooperation and development of skating sports.

raruki

Some updates from Nini's latest interview.
P1
P2
P3

Highlights in the interview.

She didn't set a high goal for herself in Poland’s JGP and thought that she might be in the top 20 barely because her training condition was actually very poor while training in the bubble in Beijing. Overall, she was very happy with her performance in Poland.

She also mentioned that she was so shocked and felt a bit less confident while training with Japanese and Korean skaters because they could jump triple-triple,3A, and even quads very easily while she barely landed one in the training. She also said she loved Shimada so much, and she was so happy because she could take photos with her and get autographs from her.

Nini said that after 13-days-quarantine, She was a bit rushed and overtrained, which led her to get Synovitis and Tenosynovitis, though it had already shown a sign while training in the bubble.

otisgear

Rather this says, "Part 3 Sui Wenjing in their eyes". Just saw a reddit thread about a live stream that s/h did, and it claims these people wrote chapters for Sui, so that must be what it is.

Is that you @otisgear?
Omg I haven't logged in here for ages. Yes that is me hahaha

I got my hands on Sui's book a couple of days and just finished reading it. It's really nice to read more about her journey and growth as a skater and as a person. The parts about injuries were quite horrific though, especially those that were not that well publicised like the one before 2021 worlds and then there was another incident in August 2021. I am in awe of her strength and grit and how they've managed to achieve everything despite all that they've been through.

It's interesting to see the discussion above about Luan Bo's methods. Sui wrote about in her book too, saying that she was a strict but responsible coach. Luan decided to let S/H train quad twists and throws because she hoped that that could become their calling card and make the judges take note of them and S/H went with it. Sui was also super prodigious at landing throws, she said she was learning throw doubles when she accidentally made it a triple and they just skipped doubles all together and went on to triples from then on. She also took just 4 tries (!!?!!) to learn 3FTh and hardly failed on it ever after that. I've always been amazed by their 3FTh and the consistency on that element is unreal, in their 12 year long competitive career she's only ever fallen on that element once and have like 95%+ positive GOEs. It is just insane that some teams practice for years and never even get to a fraction of this success rate or even do 3FTh at all. I get the opposing opinion against training throw quads, but when your team is already that good at the hardest throw triple it does seem like the next logical move.

I don't think they were ever 'forced' to train quads as kids like some people would suggest. On the other hand it was Zhao Hongbo who was obsessed with making all of the national team pairs do quad twists and throws in the 2015/2016 season (which imo really destroyed Yu/Jin because they never looked remotely close to landing it and it just messed with their consistency. Yu/Jin never attempted quad throws when they were under Luan)

Also I believe S/H have a good relationship with Zhao Hongbo but yeeesh just from reading a book he comes off as a poor coach. She compares Luan and Zhao very kindly, saying that they are very different but both are valid styles that helped her; Luan will lay out a detailed training plan for them and set out specific tasks/goals that they have to meet, and also be the mediator if there was any conflict between the pair, Zhao on the other hand just leaves them to their own devices to figure out many things for themselves (sorry but this just screams incompetent coaching to me) and let her fight it out with Han if they had any disagreements. Sui said that helped her develop her own problem solving and communication, which I'm sure it did, but boy does it sound like a rough road to get there.

I do think training quads contributed a lot to their injuries, but idk if I would put the blame solely on Luan's methods. S/H themselves were super intense and crazy people when it came to training and improving their skills. Sui admitted that sometimes they get so obsessed that they became irrational with their training and just went on drilling the moves whether it was actually helping or not. This let to them being severely fatigued towards the end of the Pyeongchang season where they were both mentally drained and physically falling to pieces (seriously why didn't Zhao step in, like I would think it's the coach's responsibility to make sure that the athletes don't overtrain themselves to death).

I love S/H and I'm SO GLAD that they achieved all that they did but I really think they did it in spite of Zhao's coaching and not because of it.

raruki

According to the insider, China will send 2 women single skaters to Romania’s senior B.
As for the 4CC, China will send 3 teams in pairs, 3 teams in ice dance, and 2 in men's single skating.
They will wait for the result of Romania's senior B to decide the final spots of women's single skating in 4CC.

On My Own

Woah, so Jin's and P/J's first competition since the Beijing Olympics is the 4CCs... At least we've seen Jin training multiple times, as his weibo fans keep posting all 0.1 seconds of him from various TCC skater instagrams lol.

Stephanie

According to the insider, China will send 2 women single skaters to Romania’s senior B.
As for the 4CC, China will send 3 teams in pairs, 3 teams in ice dance, and 2 in men's single skating.
They will wait for the result of Romania's senior B to decide the final spots of women's single skating in 4CC.
Really hoping Xiangyi An is one of the 2 ladies!

On My Own

Did the club league finals just happen? Is it a substitute for Nationals? Seeing 缇可张 uploading videos to bilibili.

Last edited:

otisgear

Wow great news that the ladies are finally going to go get their minimums!
Did the club league finals just happen? Is it a substitute for Nationals? Seeing 缇可张 uploading videos to bilibili.

Club league finals are today and tomorrow. But it's all online i.e. filmed and uploaded entries so it's kinda blah .
It's not nationals, that's slated to happen later hopefully it happens as planned. Fingers crossed we finally get some in person competitions instead of the lame online ones!

On My Own

It's not nationals, that's slated to happen later hopefully it happens as planned. Fingers crossed we finally get some in person competitions instead of the lame online ones!
Is it? So close together? From what I remember, Chinese Nationals happens towards the end of the year. Well, the more practice the better, I guess, with them not getting to travel internationally for the most part.

Now I wonder if P/J will show up/are even training right now.

otisgear

Peng Cheng is down with Covid right now, she missed a scheduled livestream with Jin Yang and vlogged about testing positive a day later. During the livestream Jin mentioned something like 'coordinating with the local/provincial team for their training' so idk what's going on with the national team (or rather, I don't think there's been an official national team since the olympics ended). Idk if they'll be at nationals since it is normal for the top skaters to skip Chinese nationals. Perhaps they'll use it as a warmup, hope we get to see them soon either way!

On My Own

and yet, they're sending two women to compete in Romania that same week...
Well, I think it's obviously going to be Beverly and An Xiangyi, then. The rest can probably battle it out for the title, which is kind of meaningless in China for all their disciplines.

otisgear

Well, I think it's obviously going to be Beverly and An Xiangyi, then. The rest can probably battle it out for the title, which is kind of meaningless in China for all their disciplines.
I don't think it's Beverly, going to the senior Bs would be to get minimums and Beverly already has her minimums so it's probably someone else who also hasn't competed internationally in a while.

On My Own

I don't think it's Beverly, going to the senior Bs would be to get minimums and Beverly already has her minimums so it's probably someone else who also hasn't competed internationally in a while.
Cheng Jiaying then. Don't even remember who else is competing for China, think Ashley Lin is studying in some big American university now.

(ETA: She competed in the JGP this season, but she needs senior mins to go to 4CC)

Last edited:

raruki

and yet, they're sending two women to compete in Romania that same week...
Normally, the results of the Chinese Nationals are not related to the entries to any major international events.
Still very curious to see who they will send to Romania or whether they will send any skaters to Winter Universiade coz it will also happen in the same week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information