Chinese Skating News, Pt. 4: Fresh Noodles for Milan 2026

Status
Not open for further replies.

On My Own

Twitter ain't always wrong.
https://twitter.com/twistandtwizzle/status/1605223166057627650 The QRTs on this are a bit much. I guess @Gris would know better, but I really doubt he chose her as his partner, or that this happened because he couldn't find a partner his own age, or that this is a long term arrangement.

It very much does look like the mother "requested" the coach for this pairing, unfortunately, reading what @otisgear said. That's still very gross, but not exactly a "minor being sought after".

Gris

不做奴才做公民
You may find people on Twitter overreacting, I guess, but such a pairing shouldn't have happened in the first place and they're not wrong in being horrified.

What I find the most disturbing is that Tianci Zhang, Sun / Li's coach, has been very dismissive when being criticized on social media and he proudly shows off their "quintruple twist". :scream:

On My Own

You may find people on Twitter overreacting, I guess, but such a pairing shouldn't have happened in the first place and they're not wrong in being horrified.

What I find the most disturbing is that Tianci Zhang, Sun / Li's coach, has been very dismissive when being criticized on social media and he proudly shows off their "quintruple twist". :scream:
Eh, I don't think the pair should exist. I agree with twitter that she should still be in singles. I do disagree that it has anything to do with minors being sought after in this case.

I am not sure how this is allowed even in domestic competitions. I guess IDK China's rules, but this says "adult" (senior), and it can't possibly be so with a 10 year old in the pairing, in international competition.

otisgear

Eh, I don't think the pair should exist. I agree with twitter that she should still be in singles. I do disagree that it has anything to do with minors being sought after in this case.

I am not sure how this is allowed even in domestic competitions. I guess IDK China's rules, but this says "adult" (senior), and it can't possibly be so with a 10 year old in the pairing, in international competition.
That's the thing, there's no age limit or requirement to participate in the senior category domestically. Which is weird and they should definitely fix it but then there are like 500 things that Cfed needs to fix but never bother so....

I shudder at the thought of Sun/Li showing up at nationals 😵‍💫

raruki

A Chinese KOL who often works as a commentator in many figure skating competitions on Live.qq.com said that Xiangyi An will attend the Barvavian Open but someone who is very close to Nini said that She will not attend anything except for preparing for the Junior worlds.

BTW Xiangyi An has just recovered from COVID recently.

Highly likely that Cheng Jiayin and Angle Li will fly to Romania.

On My Own

A Chinese KOL who often works as a commentator in many figure skating competitions on Live.qq.com said that Xiangyi An will attend the Barvavian Open but someone who is very close to Nini said that She will not attend anything except for preparing for the Junior worlds.
huahua?!

On My Own

Sui/Han, Peng/Jin, Hongyi Chen, and Boyang Jin are all studying at Beijing Sports University right now.
I guess Beverly and P/J could have gone, but I really doubt Sui/Han would have wanted to (isn't Sui studying dance now?). And I thought Jin only had a few credits left and was planning to graduate this year ❓

Anyway, not a loss, lol.

otisgear

Does anyone have the tea on the status of Zhao Hongbo? He's been missing for the last 8 months or so and I've only seen vague one line rumours about him leaving his post so not sure whether there's any truth to that.

Marco

Now that the border is opening up, hopefully more Chinese skaters get to compete internationally from now on.

raruki

Does anyone have the tea on the status of Zhao Hongbo? He's been missing for the last 8 months or so and I've only seen vague one line rumours about him leaving his post so not sure whether there's any truth to that.
Even though it is not official yet, Zhao has already been out of any skating programs in China at the national or provincial level.

otisgear

Even though it is not official yet, Zhao has already been out of any skating programs in China at the national or provincial level.
Seems likely that he is gone at this point. Curious who they have in line to take over (although they probably haven't confirmed anyone at this point otherwise I imagine they'd announce it). Hoping it's not Guan Jinlin. I guess we'll see at 4CC.

raruki

Seems likely that he is gone at this point. Curious who they have in line to take over (although they probably haven't confirmed anyone at this point otherwise I imagine they'd announce it). Hoping it's not Guan Jinlin. I guess we'll see at 4CC.
I have heard that the Chinese sports authority has invited Zhao again to lead the new national team but he refused it. Basically, there is no national training camp for figure skating in China after Beijing Olympics.

raruki

Thank you for that update. Not really a surprise. Is Shen still involved?
Shen is still the chairwoman of CFSA but she has been a figurehead since the Olympic season.
She is emptied by the Chinese sports authority because I heard that someone has accused her of judging unfairly in domestic competitions.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Now that the border is opening up, hopefully more Chinese skaters get to compete internationally from now on.
Absolutely the opposite. Due to COVID hikes in China, barriers going up. As of Jan 5, 2023, two-day no-COVID test required by USA for anyone traveling to US from China. Japan, India others instituting the same rules.

On My Own

Just came across this video compilation of Chinese pairs doing back-to-back throws. I miss the Chinese throws so much. And we always say Chinese throws like it's the same thing but actually every pair does it differently it's so interesting to see it put together.
Personally I just mean "huge and beautiful" when I say "Chinese throws" 哈哈哈哈哈

you know what else is beautiful? Jin Yang in that costume at 4:07

raruki

Many skaters might withdraw from the Chinese nationals as well.
I have heard that many of those who got covid are struggling to recover from the long covid symptoms and find it pretty hard to bring back their stamina and momentums after recovering from COVID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information