2023 World Athletics Championships (Budapest, Hungary - 19-27 August)

ilovepaydays

Marco Arop 🇨🇦 had a FANTASTIC win! Shallow note: He must bench at least 250lbs. 💪

Hoppel 🇺🇸 literally did every dumb tactical move possible EVER in one race. 🤦🏻‍♀️

skatingguy

decently
Sifan Hissan 🇳🇱 won the bronze in the 1500m, and silver in the 5000m at the World Championships, and won the London Marathon this year. When I grow up I want to be Sifan Hassan.

Last edited:

Jammers

Why is the US so bad now in the relays when it comes to the handoffs? For a country with the wealth of world class sprinters to have gone 23 years since last winning gold in the 4x100m relay is really embarrassing especially considering how many times they got a DNF not because another team was faster.

Last edited:

Tesla

Whippet Good
Why is the US so bad now in the relays when it comes to the handoffs? For a country with the wealth of world class sprinters to have gone 23 years since last winning gold in the 4x100m relay is really embarrassing especially considering how many times they got a DNF not because another team was faster.
Because handoffs are hard, and I don’t think US athletics focuses on them.

Cachoo

I don’t know the process. Did they name the participants before leaving for Budapest so they might practice? Or do they decide who gets the relays after they see them perform at Worlds in other races? You could make a rather long video with all of the mistakes over generations of relay teams. It is mystifying.

ilovepaydays

Because handoffs are hard, and I don’t think US athletics focuses on them.

I don’t know the process. Did they name the participants before leaving for Budapest so they might practice? Or do they decide who gets the relays after they see them perform at Worlds in other races? You could make a rather long video with all of the mistakes over generations of relay teams. It is mystifying.

American relays teams do focus on handoffs - but that’s on each college team and those athletes train, practice, and compete together regularly. Problem is, I don’t think most of the relay members train with each other and they don’t have “relay camp” until the relay pool is decided after U.S. Nationals.

Some countries do fairly regular “relay camps” throughout the year among their top sprinters - that’s the best explanation of how counties like Japan 🇯🇵 and Italy 🇮🇹 have ranked so high despite individually not placing as high in the 100-400m as countries like the USA 🇺🇸, Great Britain 🇬🇧, and Jamaica 🇯🇲.

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Some countries do fairly regular “relay camps” throughout the year among their top sprinters - that’s the best explanation of how counties like Japan 🇯🇵 and Italy 🇮🇹 have ranked so high despite individually not placing as high in the 100-400m as countries like the USA 🇺🇸, Great Britain 🇬🇧, and Jamaica 🇯🇲.
Not sure about Jamaica, but the British teams do regular relay camps as well.

The excuses that get trotted out about US relay teams (the same ones we have heard for years and years) really go to show that there is no real desire to fix anything in the US system. It seems to really be a cultural thing where there is an unwillingness to change even when it is clear that other countries have better ways of doing things. :shuffle:

Finnice

I am getting nervous for the Finnish javelin guy, Helander. He is not MY javelin guy - he has retired - but I know Helander and he is able to throw over 90... if only. Javelin is a kind of national sport in Finland, and they have lots of pressure.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Last night so finals all the way:

Women High Jump
Men Javelin
Men 5000m
Women 800m
Women 3000m steeplechase
Men 4x400m
Women 4x400m

ilovepaydays

At some point, Mu is going to figure out that’s it a really bad idea to stay on the outside of lane 1, right? RIGHT?! 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information