2019 Oscars Red Carpet & Ceremony - All Awards Lead To Roma

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm personally just expressing my opinion on the show. People talking about people's heads exploding are being 'extra.'

Allskate

It was a broad performance in The Favourite. I didn't like the picture nor the acting. Interesting way of approaching the subject matter though.

I didn't care for The Favourite, but I thought the acting was appropriate to the writing and that it was really good. I'm kind of glad that a more humorous performance was rewarded because we don't often see that.

Now, if Coleman takes the same approach in "The Crown," I'll be very unhappy. And very surprised.

chantilly

I just said this might be the other surprise of the night.
Good on the academy for not giving two best film awards to one movie.
I don’t give a shit I loved Greenbook.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Come on. Green Book was not that good to receive Best Picture. If that's the case, then Mortensen should have won Best Actor.

It looks like BlackKlansman, Black Panther, and If Beale Street Could Talk cancelled each other out. And we see the kind of African-American history-themed picture approach that the Academy prefers to reward. Bleh. Right, we all just need to get along to go along. Sure. I'm sure the picture was fine. It certainly WAS NOT as groundbreaking as Black Panther and BlackKlansman, period.

Allskate

Huh. I liked Green Book and can't say I'm surprised that it won. But, it would not have been my choice. When I saw this movie, I thought it was well done and the kind of thing that the Academy likes, but not groundbreaking movie making.

VGThuy

Roma unlike what others said, was not the typical Oscar Best Pic winner. It was a foreign film (no foreign film has ever won), black and white (last one was The Artist and Schindler's List), had foreign film like pacing, and was a subject many Americans didn't relate to. Green Book fit the bill much more safely. No one movie swept the precursors so it was always between Green Book, Roma, The Favourite, and Black Panther with maybe Bohemian Rhapsody sneaking in. Oh and the Netflix thing was playing heavily against it, but I was unsure how heavy it would play.

peibeck

Simply looking
I guess all roads did not leave to "Roma" afterall. I guess the voters got delayed at one of those "Green Book" hotels. :p

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Ever since they expanded the BP nominees to 8-10, we started seeing shocking results. This is the third year in a row. Spotlight, Moonlight, Greenbook. None of them was expected to win.

I am relieved that Roma did not win both best foreign language film and BP. I didn’t expect a Greenbook win, although I had enjoyed that movie.

VGThuy

To be honest, looking at the last few Best Picture winners, it makes Moonlight's win even stranger. That ultra indie ultra low budget from an unknown director who had no history in the industry about a low-income black gay man in Miami really pulling off that win was the exception not the rule.

jenny12

Sad for Glenn Close. Bit thrilled for Olivia Coleman. She's been one of my favourites for a few years. I love her.

Agreed. And she was so charming in her acceptance speech!

Green Book winning...ugh is all I can say.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'd have been okay with Bohemian Rhapsody winning over Green Book. As I said, GB is a nice film, but nothing transformative. It will NOT be remembered as a touchstone in the history of American filmmaking.

peibeck

Simply looking
Come on. Green Book was not that good to receive Best Picture. If that's the case, then Mortensen should have won Best Actor.

It looks like BlackKlansman, Black Panther, and If Beale Street Could Talk cancelled each other out. And we see the kind of African-American history-themed picture approach that the Academy prefers to reward. Bleh. Right, we all just need to get along to go along. Sure. I'm sure the picture was fine. It certainly WAS NOT as groundbreaking as Black Panther and BlackKlansman, period.

"If Beale Street Could Talk" wasn't nominated. Although I felt it was more deserving of a nod than "Black Panther " or "Green Book."

And picture voting is weighted, unlike all the other categories, where highest vote tallies take all. So vote splitting isn't so possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information