2018 TV Emmy nominations announced

Sylvia

TBD
Official site: https://www.emmys.com/events/70th-emmy-nominations-announcement

Nominees in all the awards’ major categories are listed at the end of this article: https://www.vox.com/2018/7/12/17562018/emmy-nominations-2018-full-list-nominees

[Opinion] 2018 Emmy nominations: Sandra Oh makes history, but TV's biggest awards show promises few surprises: https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...ndra-oh-makes-history-tv-s-biggest-ncna891056

Anthony Bourdain Posthumously Nominated for 'Parts Unknown': https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/anthony-bourdain-posthumously-nominated-emmy-1126534

Full list (68 pages): https://www.emmys.com/sites/default/files/Downloads/70th-nominations-list-v3.pdf?180712=

Cachoo

Cumberbatch was AMAZING as Patrick Melrose and snagged a nomination.
But bummed that Alison Brie not nominated for Glow.
Loved that "Godless", Michelle Dockery and Merritt Weaver were all nominated. It was a good series.
But I have wondered why Anna Faris is rarely recognized for her work in "Mom."

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
[Opinion] 2018 Emmy nominations: Sandra Oh makes history, but TV's biggest awards show promises few surprises: https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...ndra-oh-makes-history-tv-s-biggest-ncna891056

Indeed, the biggest story this week will be the nomination of Sandra Oh for her role of Eve Polastri in BBC America’s “Killing Eve.” She is the first Asian-American woman to ever be nominated for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama. It’s a huge milestone for Oh and a step in the right direction for Asian American representation — which remains severely lacking.
Someone should tell Ani Bundel that Sandra Oh isn't Asian American. She's from Canada.

screech

I was so happy to see a guest acting nomination for Cameron Britton for Mindhunter. He was absolutely brilliant as serial killer Ed Kemper. But on the flip side, REALLY disappointed that Miriam Shor didn't get a nomination for her role in The Americans this season. She was fantastic.

Happy Ted Danson was nominated for The Good Place, but I also think that the show itself, as well as D'arcy Carden (Janet) were extremely deserving.

Also, very happy that more supporting actors from Handmaid's Tale were nominated this year. I hope that Yvonne Strahovski wins, because she was amazing this season as Serena.

And never thought I'd see Ricky Martin as an Emmy nominee, but huge kudos to him!!

And finally, I think this is the first time that one of the live musical events was nominated for acting. John Legend (Jesus), Sara Bareilles (Mary Magdalene), and Brandon Victor Dixon (Judas) were all nominated for their work in Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert (John for lead, the others for supporting).

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
It is awful that Dancing with Stars got a nomination. I boycotted the show but from what I heard the looks were cheap and immoral, Adam Rippon promoting his "life style" and making the criminal who's name I refuse to type again look like a proper lady at least some of the time.

If the criminal whose name I won't type again is allowed to attend this Emmys, I will boycott! My wife and I are both nervous as watching the emmys with popcorn shrimp is her second favorite TV event beside anything LPGA.

skatesindreams

I think this is the first time that one of the live musical events was nominated for acting. John Legend (Jesus), Sara Bareilles (Mary Magdalene), and Brandon Victor Dixon (Judas) were all nominated for their work in Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert (John for lead, the others for supporting).
All well deserved, IMO.

screech

All well deserved, IMO.
I didn't like BVD as much as most people did. The only time I personally think he really nailed it was when he sung "Superstar". Sara and John were just kind of 'okay' IMO. But to be fair, they are singers first, actors second.

BUT if John wins, he'll have the EGOT (he's nominated as one of the producers too). He'd be (I think) the second youngest person to get the EGOT (Robert Lopez had just turned 39 when he got his, and John will be almost 40). If it wins the award for outstanding variety special (Live), Andrew Lloyd Webber (as a producer) will win his first ever Emmy and will complete the EGOT as well.

And if Sara Bareilles wins, she'll win her first EVER major award.

I don't think it will win any of the acting awards (though most people were blown away by Brandon Victor Dixon), but I do think it will probably win the variety special category (which used to be called 'special class program') so probably congrats in store for John and Andrew on their EGOTs.

VGThuy

I think when people say Sandra Oh is Asian-American they sort of mean anybody of Asian-descent who is from United States/Canada aka North America. She does consider herself a Los Angeleno and she's probably been living in the U.S. for a long time. That said, they don't even need to qualify it that way. Oh is the first woman of Asian-descent to be nominated for a Lead Actress Emmy. An incredible achievement and one that has really taken over social media and Oh herself acknowledges and embraces what her nomination means for Asian-Americans (all of America) generally.

vgerdes

I was thrilled to see Mr. Cumberbatch's nomination for Patrick Melrose. Well deserved (I am still bummed he wasn't nominated for the last season of Sherlock, which to me showcased the range of his acting more than in the previous seasons).

Loved seeing all the nominations for Ru Paul's Drag Race, and DWTS. :)

Japanfan

I have a bit of a problem with the Emmies in that very often the same series and actors get nominated year after year. It doesn't seem fair to just give the award to the same actor or show/series year after year, even if that actor/show/series does happen to the be the best or deserve it in the eyes of some.

I don't know a lot of the shows that are nominated. I love both Game of Thrones and Handmaid's Tale, but they have both won quite a few awards. Though I think Handmaid's Tale may have gotten more nominates this year than last year, apparently 20 in total.

ETA: Tat Maslany should really win. She plays four entirely unique and different characters convincingly and brilliantly, not to mention a host of minor characters.

'Orphan Black' is now over, and this her last chance.

chantilly

Agreed completely on above. The categories are so limiting based on the amount of good content.
I haven’t been able to watch all these shows because my cable bill would be atrocious.

I’ve only heard amazing things about Maslany though and just based on what she has do in that show she deserves it.

Once again I’m bummed that Rachel Bloom is without a nomination for Crazy ex girlfriend. Or the show for that matter which is not only great but incredibly unique.

But yes so many shows are deserving each year. It doesn’t have to go to the same set of shows or actors time and time again.

Perfect example is Steve Carell never winning and Alec Baldwin winning three times. Ridiculous.

VGThuy

I don't mind. Not every season is the same and these things are supposedly chosen by episode submissions though like all things voters might have other reasons to choose their winner OR they are big fans of the show and chose the winner based on other episodes beyond their episode submission. If we were to prevent a winner from being nominated again, then why don't we prevent nominees from being nominated more than once even if they lose? Logically, it's the same thing.

I do think there are simply too many shows and performances these days that the Emmys have become like the Grammy Awards and have become unmanageable. I also think some of the nominees are random. Maybe they should do a panel like format with nominating committees and separate juries vote for specific categories where they have to watch all submissions. The problem with that is that so many of members are actively working that the only ones who can participate will probably be older, retired members and we know what happens when the voters skew older.

Seerek

A fairly strong, consistent list of nominees, at least IMO.

But bummed that Alison Brie not nominated for Glow.

I agree that Brie was (slightly) robbed, but happy for Betty Gilpin (those two have among the best symbiosis among leads/supporting right now on TV).

screech

ETA: Tat Maslany should really win. She plays four entirely unique and different characters convincingly and brilliantly, not to mention a host of minor characters.

'Orphan Black' is now over, and this her last chance.
Tatiana won the Emmy in 2016.

Apparently this is the first time Modern Family was 'shut out' of the comedy series and acting categories. And I say yay!
But I agree that some are nominated just because they're the the 'old standby' or because of the 'name.' William H Macy is there for me. Same with Allison Janney and Lily Tomlin. I also think Sterling K Brown is reaching that point.

Even though I don't watch most of them, this is why I enjoy the nominees for TV movie/miniseries. You get names that you normally wouldn't expect to be nominated.

My biggest complaint is with the number of nominations. For example:
supporting actor in a drama - 6 nominees
supporting actor in a comedy - 7 nominees
supporting actress in a drama - 7 nominees
supporting actress in a comedy - 8 nominees

At least make the number of nominees the same across program type, or across gender!!

VGThuy

IMO, there wouldn't have been a need for that many nominations in comedy if it wasn't for the Emmy's strange love for SNL which I don't think really deserves any sort of award for anything.

chantilly

SNL is all about the anti Trump material.
SNL never got this much love probably since the early days.
Tina Fey and Amy certainly didn’t get the love of Kate McKinnon as one example and they certainly deserved it.
Especially since they were writing a lot of their own material.
Not sure though how much Kate does. Don’t get me wrong I love Kate, but don’t think she’s more deserving of awards or recognition then either Tina or Amy were.

VGThuy

I think they should back to the old days where SNL actors were not eligible for Comedy Series acting categories.

chantilly

I don’t think that actually.
Comedy live and being funny is waaaaaay more difficult then doing it multiple takes on a sound stage “in front of a live studio audience” or not.
The difference with sketch and sit com performances is mostly subtlety and nuance.

VGThuy

I don’t think that actually.
Comedy live and being funny is waaaaaay more difficult then doing it multiple takes on a sound stage “in front of a live studio audience” or not.
The difference with sketch and sit com performances is mostly subtlety and nuance.

Since they are different they belong in different categories.

chantilly

Don’t think there’s a category for variety/ sketch for actors.
Don’t see the need to create a separate category.
But I’d have to look at all the categories again to be sure.

screech

Since they are different they belong in different categories.
I'd be up for it if they made a variety performance category. This could include SNL performers, as well as hosts of awards shows (Josh Groban and Sara Bareilles would be eligible then for their Tonys hosting this year...)

I have to say, one nomination that kind of irks me is Viola Davis. She's nominated for guest actress in a drama for her appearance on Scandal, BUT for playing the character she plays on How To Get Away With Murder. To me, it's not really a 'guest' role, if it's a role you play every single day on another show.

So I came across some interesting Emmy facts:
- Peter Dinklage is now officially the most nominated supporting actor in a drama series in Emmys history (7 nominations in the category, including 2 wins)
- Joseph Fiennes' nomination for Handmaid's Tale is his first major nomination since Shakespeare in Love (SAG) in 1999!
- Henry Winkler received his 6th nomination, but it's his first comedy acting nomination since 1978 (Happy Days)!!!
- Laure Metcalf has the longest ever time in between nominations for playing the same character on the same show (Roseanne). Her last nomination for the role of Jackie was in 1995
- Darren Criss is only the second actor of Asian descent to be nominated for lead actor in a miniseries (Riz Ahmed won last year)
- If Allison Janney wins, she'll tie Cloris Leachman as the most decorated actor in Emmy history with 8 acting awards. She'd also have a 'grand slam' - she's already lead and supporting in a drama, and supporting in a comedy - lead in a comedy is all that's missing

Allskate

She sure was. So was Justin Hartley![/QUOT

ITA. Justin Hartley did an amazing job in the episode that focused on his character. I was very impressed. Mandy never seems to get the credit she deserves. IMO, she's just as good as Milo and Chrissy Metz.

I'm happy about the nominations for Rachel Brosnahan and Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Great series.

Japanfan

Tatiana won the Emmy in 2016.

Forgot about that. :cheer2:

So I came across some interesting Emmy facts:
- Peter Dinklage is now officially the most nominated supporting actor in a drama series in Emmys history (7 nominations in the category, including 2 wins)

Were both those wins for Game of Thrones?

- Joseph Fiennes' nomination for Handmaid's Tale is his first major nomination since Shakespeare in Love (SAG) in 1999!

I have not seen any of the actors in this category but think Fiennes is amazing in Handmaid's Tale. IMO he manages to bring a dimension of depth and emotion - even vulnerability - to an entitled, corrupt and arrogant man with all the advantages of power, wealth and status. Though a lot of people don't agree with me and just find him hateful and horrible.

screech

Were both those wins for Game of Thrones?

I have not seen any of the actors in this category but think Fiennes is amazing in Handmaid's Tale. IMO he manages to bring a dimension of depth and emotion - even vulnerability - to an entitled, corrupt and arrogant man with all the advantages of power, wealth and status. Though a lot of people don't agree with me and just find him hateful and horrible.
Yes they were - he won in 2011 and 2015.
And I agree with you on Joseph Fiennes. I feel like I never know what's going through his head. One minute he's really sympathetic, and you think he actually cares for June and Serena, and the next you think he's the most evil bastard in the world.

What I was most impressed with this year, though, was Yvonne Strahovski. Serena was still often absolutely horrible, but at other times, she seemed like a good person who just got herself into a horrible situation (partly of her own making). The moments where she and June showed sympathy and kindness towards each other were heartbreaking to me, because you can see the good inside of Serena. I sincerely hope that she wins this year.
I personally don't get the love for Ann Dowd as Aunt Lydia. Yes, she does a good job playing a despicable character, but I don't think she's *that* brilliant. From the ladies from the show nominated in the category, I'd give the award to Yvonne, followed by Alexis, and then Ann.

The person I'm rooting for most, after Cameron Britton for Mindhunter (guest actor in a drama), is Matthew Rhys for The Americans. He's absolutely brilliant in the show, and has always been such a conflicted character. IMO he has deserved it a few times over the show's run. Keri Russell too! I'd personally give it to her over Elisabeth Moss, but she probably doesn't have much of a chance.

Japanfan

What I was most impressed with this year, though, was Yvonne Strahovski. Serena was still often absolutely horrible, but at other times, she seemed like a good person who just got herself into a horrible situation (partly of her own making). The moments where she and June showed sympathy and kindness towards each other were heartbreaking to me, because you can see the good inside of Serena. I sincerely hope that she wins this year.

I totally agree that Strahovski is masterful as Serena. I'm not sure how much 'good' I can see inside of her, but she's clearly an intelligent woman. When she and June were secretly wielding power by writing orders while the commander was in hospital, she revealed her inner subversive. I think it's possible that she recognizes the error of her thinking as a key architect of Gilead. She helped to write the manifesto for a society in which women are not allowed to read or write, and the irony of that is not lost when she sits down in the commander's chair with the orders she herself has written.

I think it is possible that when the resistance rises up strong - IMO it is bound to, probably in Season 3 - Serena may join it. I don't think she is particularly community-minded or activist-oriented, but she may come to realize that she has much more in common with the handmaids than she does with the men who rule Gilead. I don't think she fully anticipated what oppression and the denial of power would be like for the wives in Gilead.

IMO this theme was explored when the commander strapped her bottom. The humiliation of that was worse than the physical pain, and Serena is unlikely to forget it.

I personally don't get the love for Ann Dowd as Aunt Lydia. Yes, she does a good job playing a despicable character, but I don't think she's *that* brilliant. From the ladies from the show nominated in the category, I'd give the award to Yvonne, followed by Alexis, and then Ann.

I'd give the award to Yvonne as well.

However, I thought Dowd totally deserved it last year.

I think she is brilliant in the role of Aunt Lydia because she is such a multi-dimensional character. Yes, she is a stern taskmaster and can be very cruel. But at the same time she really does believe in the society she lives in, and believes that handmaids serve an important, divinely-ordained purpose. Also, she really does care for her girls. That was clearly evident in the last episode when Emily was sent to her new posting. The commander there seemed to be of questionable character, and Aunt Lydia was clearly concerned for Emily's welfare. It was also evident previously, when the one girl (her name escapes me at the amount) tries to kill herself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information