72nd Emmy Nominations 2020

pat c

Even being Canadian, I didn't actually watch the entire series until this past year. I tried to watch it a few years ago and just could not get into it. Last year I decided to give it another go and just binged the first 5 seasons and was caught up right before the final season began. IMO what was hard to get into was that I didn't like the characters. But then they grew as people and I grew to love them. They didn't immediately become good people overnight, it was a realistic gradual thing that made me more engaged in them.
Though Moira was brilliant from the start. I hope the Rose family is enjoying a lot of Herb Erlinger wine tonight in Toronto. And huge Kudos to them for following Ontario's social distancing guidelines (apparently they've all been self isolating after testing negative for *********, so that they could gather, all 6 feet apart and with masks, for tonight).

I tried and gave it up the first season as well, but started watching it again a couple of years ago. They were all amazing, and good for them. :)

manhn

I never gave it a shot either (I have given other CBC shows a shot, like Kim's Convenience and Burden of Proof), the title title made it seem too kooky and the idea of rich people moving to a small town is not something I thought I would enjoy. So, I came after all the hoopla. Netflix has the first five seasons (really enjoyed them), looking forward to final season.

But I was a pretty big fan of The Good Place (the finale was truly great), so I'm sad that they didn't win anything.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I feel like I have totally missed out on Schitts creek even though our good friend is involved in it and is their official photo/publishing something or other? Actually don't quite know but see his pics all the time on my FB and instagram of those characters. I will give it a shot on Netflix as feeling like a bad Canadian missing it LOL

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I watched the pilot of Schitts Creek at the beginning of YKW and was underwhelmed - it was fine, but didn't stand out and felt like a slightly more functional Arrested Development, so kind of a retread. So many people love it that I meant to give it a try and just forgot. I watched 2 eps last night and will continue watching.

@manhn even though I haven't seen S4 yet, I'm also sad for The Good Place. What a great show. Did they ever win anything for the previous seasons? S1 was a masterpiece.

gkelly

I've watched the first 6-8 episodes of Schitt's Creek at various points in the last several months and find myself more annoyed than amused by most of the episodes. Neither the characters (so far) nor the sense of humor are to my taste at all. Even if, as fans here have said, the characters improve over the course of the show, I'm still not sure that this show is something I will enjoy in later seasons.

On the other hand, I gave up on The Good Place after the first two episodes when it premiered, then came back to it last year after recommendations here, and then I enjoyed it.

So word of mouth helps, but so does actually becoming likable early in the first season, if not already in the pilot.

In general, I'm just not a sitcom kind of gal any more.

VGThuy

Honestly, I never found the characters unlikeable (except for Roland) in the first seasons of Schitt's Creek. I thought the absurdist humor was the best and Moira had the best lines and costuming. Like when after Johnny and David were fighting over whether David should help Johnny nail their doors back together for their horrific motel rooms, Moira just screams out "Pick up a hammer and nail this coffin shut!" was simply the best.

What I love about this show was how risky they were by allowing the characters to be so "unlikeable" because their growth later on wouldn't be as good as if they started out with "some" good. I think North American audiences are so used to having their characters have likable characters that when a show like this comes out that is more-or-less has unapologetically "bad" characters, it takes some re-conditioning. British sitcoms are much more like what we get in Schitt's Creek.

That said, the first few seasons are the characters at their bottom with their whole world unexpectedly being taken away from them...and it was a world that made them so out-of-touch and semi-nasty...so it only makes sense that the writers don't pull any punches when it shows how despicable they find everything.

The amazing thing is that when I rewatched season 1 recently after being so used their growth by season 6, it was so clear how much these characters grew. They actually call back to certain things where one character in season 1 cannot even comprehend or is able to do something that they do later on.

I think Schitt’s Creek might have benefitted from the world being crazy right now too. I know I don’t have much of an appetite for shows that are aggressive or even remotely dark right now. Schitt‘s Creek and the idealistic world it exists in is especially refreshing within the context of world events.

Cachoo

I think Schitt’s Creek might have benefitted from the world being crazy right now too. I know I don’t have much of an appetite for shows that are aggressive or even remotely dark right now. Schitt‘s Creek and the idealistic world it exists in is especially refreshing within the context of world events.

Something like how watching "Friends" was oddly reassuring right after 9/11....

clairecloutier

I really liked Schitt's Creek. I can't say I completely loved it with the intensity that some people seem to. But I did like it a lot. And yeah it was great how the characters grew over the show. I loved David, Alexis, Patrick, Stevie, Jocelyn, and Alexis's veterinarian. And I really liked how they showed a gay romance from its very beginning, because it seems like a lot of times on TV, gay characters are introduced already in established couples. My least favorite character was the most celebrated (Moira), but still, even Moira had a lot of good moments.

We started watching The Good Place, and I did enjoy the first season, but lost interest pretty early into the second season. The show was just too high-concept. I can only buy into that kind of contrivedness for so long.

pat c

We started watching The Good Place, and I did enjoy the first season, but lost interest pretty early into the second season. The show was just too high-concept. I can only buy into that kind of contrivedness for so long.

I listened to a CBC interview with the writer of the Good Place. They used a lot of philosophy/ethics people when they were writing a lot of the episodes. It was quite interesting. I never saw the episode or I've forgotten, and they used the trolley scenario for instance.

screech

I never gave it a shot either (I have given other CBC shows a shot, like Kim's Convenience and Burden of Proof)
I tried to watch Kim's Convenience after Simu Liu was announced as Shang Chi, but I just could not get into it at all.

I watched the pilot of Schitts Creek at the beginning of YKW and was underwhelmed - it was fine, but didn't stand out and felt like a slightly more functional Arrested Development, so kind of a retread. So many people love it that I meant to give it a try and just forgot. I watched 2 eps last night and will continue watching.
I'd say give Shitt's Creek another go, though it's not to everyone's tastes. From what I've read online, a lot of people didn't get into it until after the first few episodes or even first season. That's how I was. I was also that way with Parks and Recreation - did not like the first season at all, but then completely binged and watched the entire show in one week.

And I really liked how they showed a gay romance from its very beginning, because it seems like a lot of times on TV, gay characters are introduced already in established couples.
I loved that there was never any homophobia shown, because that always seems to be the main things with shows/movies - they have to have a big coming out, and then someone being against it... but Schitt's Creek purposefully didn't include any of that, which Dan Levy said is a political statement in and of itself. And the wine metaphor...

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I tried to watch Kim's Convenience after Simu Liu was announced as Shang Chi, but I just could not get into it at all.

I'd say give Shitt's Creek another go, though it's not to everyone's tastes. From what I've read online, a lot of people didn't get into it until after the first few episodes or even first season. That's how I was. I was also that way with Parks and Recreation - did not like the first season at all, but then completely binged and watched the entire show in one week.

I loved that there was never any homophobia shown, because that always seems to be the main things with shows/movies - they have to have a big coming out, and then someone being against it... but Schitt's Creek purposefully didn't include any of that, which Dan Levy said is a political statement in and of itself. And the wine metaphor...
The first season of Schitt's Creek is kind of hard because the Rose's are so unlikable at first. I know that's the point but it can definitely make it harder to get into.

I always tell people that even though the first season of Parks & Rec isn't great, it's necessary for the show and it's only 6 episodes so just blast through it and remember that season 2 is better. It's even better after Mark leaves though.

VGThuy

I really like Kim’s Convenience. It’s not the greatest show but I find it good enough to keep watching and has enough going for it to make it better than good for me. That said, my brother can’t stand it because he worked at my aunt’s convenience store in the French Quarter in New Orleans and said there’s no way a store has that much down time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information