2018 TV Emmy nominations announced

Jenny

From the Bloc
I do think there are simply too many shows and performances these days that the Emmys have become like the Grammy Awards and have become unmanageable.

Agree. With all the cable programming now, there's only so much people can watch, and as a result, I think that voting is heavily influenced by name recognition, whether the actors/producers/directors or just the general buzz. Even if you've never watched Game of Thrones, you know what it is. Perhaps we can thank the Hollywood publicity machines for some of these nominations, if not most.

I think there's also a lot of good material out there, hard to narrow it down. We could all spend 24/7 watching tv and still miss out on some good work. Scheduling is also all over the place - long gone are the days of the "season" in which you could look at a finite period and a known quantity of shows and go from there. Now shows make their own schedules, and it's possible that in our content-rich world, people simply forget when they saw something really good but then it's off air for a full year or more before its next "season."

At least make the number of nominees the same across program type, or across gender!!

Technically, anyone can enter any of the acting categories. The Emmys have said very recently that nominees/their nominators may choose any category they wish.

I think there are just a lot more nominees, because the Emmys are trying to make sure it's not all confined to a handful of shows, leaving many viewers not caring at all because they don't watch those particular shows. Same reason the Oscars now of 8/10 Best Picture nominees.

Since they are different they belong in different categories.

You were referencing comedy here and I agree. IMO it's a different set of skills to be able to develop a character over time, follow a script and have the help of editors to tell the story. SNL is live, with scripts often not more than a few days old, lots of improv. Even though in many cases they are doing the same characters over time, they are also doing many other characters (for the most part, Baldwin only does one) at the same time. Very different.

Even the multicamera shows that shoot before a live audience (Roseanne, Big Bang Theory) will take hours to film a half hour show because they do multiple takes, the actors work with the writers and directors as they go, and of course there are weeks if not months of post-production to clean stuff up, make it work.

Anyway, I'm about as interested in watching the Emmys as the Grammys. Pretty much irrelevant to me since the shows/music I like and appreciate never seem to get the love of the masses, or at least the industry insiders who run this stuff.

topaz

I was a little sad that Starz' Outlander did not get any nominations. I thought Caitrona Balfe and Sam Heughan's performances were excellent last season.

Also, I think Rose Mciver should be nominated for IZombie. Her performance this season was nothing short of fantastic.

VGThuy

I was a little sad that Starz' Outlander did not get any nominations. I thought Caitrona Balfe and Sam Heughan's performances were excellent last season.

Also, I think Rose Mciver should be nominated for IZombie. Her performance this season was nothing short of fantastic.

Would you recommend Outlander? I heard it's a show that just gets better every season.

topaz

Would you recommend Outlander? I heard it's a show that just gets better every season.

Goodness yes girl. I would highly recommend.

Right now, as for the programming on traditional cable premium channels goes;Starz has the best programming.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Technically, anyone can enter any of the acting categories. The Emmys have said very recently that nominees/their nominators may choose any category they wish.

Some shows are conveniently ignored, such as "The Walking Dead". I think it has only been nominated for (and won?) 'best prosthetics'. It's going into its 9th season and been hugely successful - IMO definitely deserves more nominations than it has received.

Would definitely recommend. But I'd start from the beginning, if possible, rather than jump in to the next season.

VGThuy

Would definitely recommend. But I'd start from the beginning, if possible, rather than jump in to the next season.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm a "completionist" in terms of my TV watching and video game playing.

screech

The Creative Arts Emmys are going on this weekend. A bunch of awards were given yesterday, and day 2 is today. Some notables:

- The first ever female winner for stunt coordination (Shauna Duggins for GLOW. She was previously nominated as a stunt coordinator for Alias)
- All of the guest actor awards were won by black actors: Comedy actor Katt Williams (Atlanta), Drama actor Ron Cephas Jones (This Is Us), Comedy actress Tiffany Haddish (SNL), Drama actress Samira Wiley (Handmaid's Tale)
- Alex Borstein won her first ever Emmy for her voice work on Family Guy. She's also nominated for supporting actress in a comedy for Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

The link to today's awards is being updated live. John Legend, Andrew Lloyd Webber, and Tim Rice are up for the final pieces of the EGOT with their work in Jesus Christ Superstar, which they'll all get if it wins tonight for outstanding variety special (they're both producers). John is also nominated for actor in a limited series/movie)
I kind of feel that since its actors are nominated in the limited series/movie category, the production itself should be up for best limited series/movie, but ah well. It's likely to win tonight, and it was a pretty spectacular production (which I say as someone who does not like JCS)

Last edited:

screech

So the big show is tomorrow. Didn't the Emmys always previously take place on a Sunday?

Anyway, Different sites are predicting winners. For most, who they think will win (popular actors/shows) and who should win (basically The Americans) differ. But in any case, major category predictions from Gold Derby, Vanity Fair, and Vulture are:

Drama Series:
The Handmaid's Tale (all 3)

Drama lead actor:
Sterling K Brown, This Is Us (V, VF)
Matthew Rhys, The Americans (GD, though V also says he should win - I agree! I don't get all the Sterling K Brown love)

Drama lead actress:
Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid's Tale (GD, VF)
Sandra Oh, Killing Eve (V)

Drama supporting actor:
David Harbour, Stranger Things (GD, V)
Matt Smith, The Crown (VF, though they seem to think it could possibly be Harbour as well)

Drama supporting actress:
Yvonne Strahovski, Handmaid's Tale (VF, GD)
Ann Dowd, Handmaid's Tale (V, though VF seems to think they could possibly choose her)

Comedy Series:
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (V)
Barry (VF)
Atlanta (GD)

Comedy actor:
Donald Glover, Atlanta (GD, V)
Bill Hader, Barry (VF)

Comedy actress:
Rachel Brosnahan, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (GD, VF, V)

Comedy supporting actor:
Henry Winkler, Barry (GD, V - surprisingly it would be his first ever win!)
Alec Baldwin SNL (VF)

Comedy supporting actress:
Kate McKinnon, SNL (GD, V, VF)

Limited Series/Movie:
Assassination of Gianni Versace (GD, VF)
Patrick Melrose (V)

Limited series actor:
Darren Criss, Assassination of Gianni Versace (GD, VF)
John Legend, Jesus Christ Superstar (V. Seriously?!?!?!)

Limited series actress:
Laura Dern, The Tale (GD, VF)
Michelle Dockery, Godless (V)

Limited series supporting actor:
Jeff Daniels, Godless (GD, VF, V)

Limited series supporting actress:
Penelope Cruz, Assassination of Gianni Versace (GD, VF - and seriously? I didn't think she was that good)
Judith Light, Assassination of Gianni Versace (V)

I haven't seen many of the shows, but I do agree that The Americans should win ALL the awards, but especially Matthew Rhys, who IMO has been the best part of the show since the very beginning. I'd also love to see Ted Danson win for The Good Place. That show should be getting so much more recognition! It's a crime D'Arcy Carden wasn't nominated.
I'd also like to see Darren Criss win for the Assassination of Gianni Versace, because he's fantastic in the role of Andrew Cunanan. Having previously only known him from Glee and A Very Potter Musical, I had no expectations, but he's amazing in the part.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I don't watch much TV these days, but I did get into TMMM and I'm glad to see that Rachel Brosnahan is the frontrunner in her category. She so deserves it!

oleada

@screech I could not agree more about the Good Place! It’s brilliant and holds up well to repeat viewing. To take philosophy and the after life and make it into such a bright, funny, deep show. D’arcy Carden is a standout and she wuzrobbed of a nomination.

screech

Red carpet is happening now. Pleasantly surprised to see Yvonne Strahovski there, since she's basically ready to give birth. She looks fantastic though (and is favourite to win her category. DESERVINGLY!!)

BaileyCatts

I'll probably watch the broadcast, but I only watch 5 shows that are even nominated for something (This Is Us, The Good Place, Will & Grace, The Amazing Race, and Jimmy Kimmel). I have no clue what most of those shows nominated are! Never seen 'em, and haven't even heard of most of 'em. :wideeyes:

screech

The opening made me cringe at first (when it was just Kate and Kenan), but then I actually kind of enjoyed it once the other performers came out. But then the opening monologue (duologue?) began and it isn't exactly revving up the crowd.
And Ricky Martin is still as hot as he was when he first hit the scene (post-Menudo) 20 years ago!

HENRY WINKLER!!!!!! I love how genuinely happy he was, and how happy everyone else was for him. He was first nominated in 1976, but this is his first ever win. I adore him.

Last edited:

screech

Am I the only one watching?
No surprise in Rachel Brosnahan (who looks gorgeous and gave a good speech). A bit of a surprise in Alex Borstein (the odds were on Kate McKinnon). She won her first ever emmy just last weekend (voice acting for Family Guy). It's been a good week for her! I literally gasped when Bill Hader won lead comedy actor. So happy for him!!

Also, Amy Sherman Palladino is annoying.

VGThuy

I'm not watching but keeping up with the PBP. I didn't like Barry much, but congrats to Winkler and Hader. I think the Maisel wins were deserved but it's not like I watched all of the nominees to make that determination.

screech

SURPRISING win by Merritt Wever (Godless). Penelope Cruz was the odds on favourite (which I didn't agree with based on her performance), but thought Judith Light might have won.

Based on the audience cheers, I almost thought Ricky Martin might have won lol. But of course Jeff Daniels got the win - he was the odds on odds on odds on favourite. And has given the best speech of the night so far.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I'm watching tonight even though I'm in the same boat and only watch like six shows that are nominated for anything. I was rooting for Ted Danson (I LOVE The Good Place! I just finished binging S2 over dinner tonight) and now I'm rooting for This is Us to win. The show has been really odd IMO. I don't like the way they're giving out the awards. It seems very disjointed and just isn't working for me.

screech

Regina King winning over Laura Dern was a bit of an upset, but glad Darren Criss won. And Ricky Martin was adorable, jumping up and down behind him when his name was called, and actually looked happier than anyone else.

screech

Aaaand, I think that was the first time someone has used their acceptance speech to propose. Congratulations to director of a variety special, and his new fiance! She looked so genuinely surprised. And the crowd reactions were great!

screech

Holy crapload of upsets tonight!
David Harbour was the favourite to win supporting actor, but Peter Dinklage won
Yvonne Strahovski was the favourite to win supporting actress, but Thandie Newton won.

I'm getting worried for Matthew Rhys, since he was the favourite for lead actor... If overrated Sterling K Brown wins...

VGThuy

I wonder how these experts choose who is a favorite and who isn't? There isn't really a lot of overlap between the Globes, SAG, and Emmys (and the fact that the Emmys take place many months after), and the Emmys have always been a bit unpredictable at times even with all their repeat winners (none outside of Dinklage this year). It's not like that Tony Awards NYT poll that has a statistically significant number of Tony winners telling you who they voted for.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Don't diss my Sterling!! He's fabulous (but I think others had better years than he did on TIU this past season....I would give the award to Justin if he had been nominated).

screech

YAY!!! If I could have picked any one single award, I would have picked Matthew Rhys, who is and has been so brilliant in The Americans. And the scene they showed in his nomination clip was so amazingly heartbreaking to watch. Also loved his non-proposal to Keri, and her reaction shot.

Also, congratulations to Claire Foy! That was a bit of an upset too, since most people thought it would be Elisabeth Moss or Sandra Oh. I've been meaning to watch The Crown, so I guess I should get around to it...

Allskate

I'm glad to see Matthew Rhys win. He's been fabulous. I like Sterling K. Brown, too. It's just that I think that Rhys has been underappreciated.

Very happy about the wins for Maisel. I loved that show from the pilot episode.

I missed Henry Winkler winning.

Cachoo

First the proposal was the best moment and they ended on time which feels like a small miracle. I was disappointed that "Patrick Melrose" did not win anything as I thought it was much better than Ryan Murphy's "Versace" series. Don't get me wrong-- Darren Criss was wonderful but Cumberbatch's Melrose was probably the best Emmy nominated performance I've ever seen by an actor in any year. (I'm still up in the air about best actress.) I was glad to see anyone associated with "Godless" win. Merritt Weaver was wonderful in that series. When I saw that Jeff Daniels was the bad guy I thought they might have made a casting mistake. Silly me: He was as chilling as they come and his acceptance speech was good. And it was nice to see Henry Winkler so happy after his win.

screech

Surprisingly, apparently at 31, Darren Criss is the second youngest person to ever win in his category (the youngest is Anthony Murphy at 17 in 1973).
He's also only the 3rd or 4th person of Asian descent to win an acting Emmy - British/Pakistani Riz Ahmed won in the same category last year, and Archie Panjabi of Indian descent won for supporting actress in a Drama in 2010. I say 3rd or 4th, because Iranian Shohreh Aghdashloo won miniseries supporting actress in 2009, but many people don't really consider the Middle East to be part of Asia, even though it Iran is geographically part of the continent.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing there aren't many Welsh acting winners, which would make Matthew Rhys one of the only. Also, looking at his Wikipedia page under awards and nominations, it seems like this is the only major award he's won!!

Also, apparently that's the dress Alex Borstein wore when she married her now ex-husband!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information