2017 Fall-Spring TV New/Returning Shows

BaileyCatts

Rise ...... so it seems I have no idea what "Spring Awakening" is about because I thought it was about teenagers living in Germany on the cusp of World War II. Apparently ..... that ain't right. :wideeyes: No wonder I have not been able to make sense of the whole story line regarding the play. I've just been following the interactions with the characters. :rofl:

manhn

I know nothing about the musical either. I actually do not like the music.

The lead actor and character sucks. I love Rosie Perez and I hate that she is in the wrong side. I want her to be the central character.

The kids are really all great. The central teen couple were so rational in their talk tonight, I was amazed. The show started slow (And the central guy SUCKS) but I hope there is a second season.

gkelly

Rise ...... so it seems I have no idea what "Spring Awakening" is about because I thought it was about teenagers living in Germany on the cusp of World War II. Apparently ..... that ain't right. :wideeyes:

I'm not familiar with the musical, but the play was written in the 1890s and (in the words of Wikipedia) "criticises the sexually oppressive culture of nineteenth century (Fin de siècle) Germany and offers a vivid dramatisation of the erotic fantasies that it breeds."

I'd say it also deals with academic and other pressures on young teenagers in addition to sexuality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Awakening_(play)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Awakening_(musical)

BaileyCatts

^^ Yeah, I went and read about the musical and boy could I have not been further from the truth.:wideeyes: I have no idea what I'm thinking of when I thought it was set in World War II era.

cmk

I was a huge Knots fan back in the day - long before pvrs it aired twice a week where I live, on the US network and a Canadian station, and I'd watch both times :)

When I lived in the US a few years back I caught some reruns on the Soap network (which was also running the current Y&R every evening, very handy for a working girl, back when the show was good!) and I thought it really held up well.

Sadly only the first two seasons (yawner) ever seemed to show up on tape or DVD, and I no longer have access to Soap :wuzrobbed
Soapnet is gone. It got replaced with Disney Jr. The tv guide channel sometimes shows y &r but the show isn't good right now.

cmk

So this isn't the Bonnie Franklin show? :confused:
Bonnie Franklin passed away several years ago. Pat Harrington is also gone. I'm sure the reruns of the original show are on a tv channel somewhere ( I haven't been able to find it on any of the channels in my package though). The Netflix version of one day at a time has a Cuban-American family. I believe Rita Moreno is the star.

Seerek

Bonnie Franklin passed away several years ago. Pat Harrington is also gone. I'm sure the reruns of the original show are on a tv channel somewhere ( I haven't been able to find it on any of the channels in my package though). The Netflix version of one day at a time has a Cuban-American family. I believe Rita Moreno is the star.

Yes, Rita Moreno plays Grandmother Lydia in the Netflix One Day At a Time, but the lead is in fact Justina Machado (as Penelope). Season 3 will start filming soon.

Seerek

Barry on HBO will be classified as a comedy when it gets submitted for awards, but when watching the first few episodes, I find it's in a category all its own. When it's dark, it's really dark, but still has a self awareness/tongue in cheek approach that does not make it a drama by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information