ISU Skating Awards To Debut At 2020 Worlds

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Must say it is entertaining reading the angst this is causing amongst fans. Come on guys, you all secretly love this sh*t. The ISU listened to the fans and have now given them what they want - a further chance to b*tch endlessly about more stuff to do with international skating. Just go with it and have fun.

I am sure if they called it "Eurovision: the Figure Skating" the reaction would have been totally different.

Rob

Beach Bum
And the most important question is: who wants to engage in some bloc voting? :lol: :yikes::scream::bloc:

Tinami Amori

Must say it is entertaining reading the angst this is causing amongst fans. Come on guys, you all secretly love this sh*t.
I am openly hating this sh*t... It introduces show-business factor, scandals potential, voting fraud and financial interests into an already subjective sport.. AZ's idea of selling VIP seats for tenth of thousands of dollars, to "sit next to Kardashians" is a horrid idea, a circus. The methods used by the "likes of Kardashians" to gain attention, popularity and hype is not something that competitive FS needs... it will end up getting "ugly".

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I am openly hating this sh*t... It introduces show-business factor, scandals potential, voting fraud and financial interests into an already subjective sport.. AZ's idea of selling VIP seats for tenth of thousands of dollars, to "sit next to Kardashians" is a horrid idea, a circus. The methods used by the "likes of Kardashians" to gain attention, popularity and hype is not something that competitive FS needs... it will end up getting "ugly".

By Joni Mitchell, who (as a Canadian) wrote the following:

"But now it's just another show
And you leave 'em laughing when you go"

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Well....... Zakarian is no Henderson, and Figure Skating is no Africa.. :D

Well done (and easily by me researched) - I found the Henderson and Africa (and Saul Bellow) references in her quotes regarding the song's inspiration on Wikipedia.

The song is even skating-related this season, so not even so far off-topic.

VGThuy

I’m right there with you. I don’t even know how much I enjoy the sport anymore to be honest.

Tinami Amori

I’m right there with you. I don’t even know how much I enjoy the sport anymore to be honest.
Not "awards" related, but i enjoyed the sport a lot more before every pee-wee skater and former skater/coach was given a "gadget and fingers" to publish all sorts of BS, fotos and comments to get attention and to stay relevant.. :D

reut

"Two coaches, two choreographers and one athlete in the Best Costume category have been added to the long list of candidates of the inaugural ISU Skating Awards"

Benoit RICHAUD and David WILSON were added as choreographers;
Hongbo ZHAO and Mie HAMADA were added as coaches;
In costumes I didn't notice who was there before to be able to compare, too many entries.

Also, didn't see if it was already mentioned:
"The winners will be determined by a star-studded Jury composed of Eric Radford (CAN), Miki Ando (JPN), Surya Bonaly (FRA), Tatiana Navka (RUS) and Todd Eldredge (USA)"

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
And isn't Mie Hamada the subject of a lawsuit alleging mistreatment of young skaters?

Live the jury, though. Too bad this is a horrible, mostly mis-executed idea.

starrynight

Just on the topic of costumes, I repeat my opinion that the award should go to the designers and not the skaters.

In particular I thought Brad Griffies’ creations for Gracie Gold at Nationals were really impressive.

The use of the cone shaped or ‘spiked’ rhinestones was so impactful.

Rebecca Moose

Banned Member
FINALLY some skating to watch!

totally not surprised there are so many debbie downers here about the format.

mariah better win MVP for ladies. 🇺🇸

and I want to see a tie between eteri and mie hamada for best coach. 🤣🤣

kostornaia has too many nominations.

J

Jeschke

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I’m still on the “this is a terrible idea and bad for the sport” train, but I hope I’m wrong.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I can understand being upset when the awards were scheduled to take the place of Worlds exhibitions, but complaining about the ISU awards in the middle of a pandemic, when the entire 2020-2021 season is in doubt, is sour grapes at this point.

Any exposure the athletes and sport can get is a good thing, even if the implementation is a hot mess, which I'm anticipating.

manhn

Was anyone actually complaining!

But I don’t mind them. Mindless fun and maybe we will see them dressed up. I want the Emmys to go on. I need Mandy Moore and Catherine O Hara to get their deserved Emmys.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Was anyone actually complaining!
And even if they were... if someone thinks they are stupid, then that's what they think. It doesn't make it "sour grapes" especially since none of us are in the running for one.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
And even if they were... if someone thinks they are stupid, then that's what they think. It doesn't make it "sour grapes" especially since none of us are in the running for one.

That would be fun to watch! An award for the most notorious FSU fan 🤣🤣

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Seeing as July is, um, starting next week, it might be an idea to release the list of nominees ASAP and get some buzz going.

Ka3sha

Seeing as July is, um, starting next week, it might be an idea to release the list of nominees ASAP and get some buzz going.
They already got enough buzz from Russian fans, I‘d hate to be in the shoes of their social media manager :yikes:

ISU didn’t include Alina Zagitova in the preview video and now there are hundreds of comments under each post accusing ISU of corruption, asking how much did it cost to exclude Alina and all that stuff:lol:
It’s all over Russian sports press, too

Last edited:

Ka3sha

The International Skating Union (ISU) reveals the three nominees in each category of the ISU Skating Awards 2020 which will take place on July 11, 2020 and will be Live Streamed on ISU Skating Awards page from 16:00 CEST.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information