ISU SKATING AWARDS - LIVE

skatingguy

decently
I'm pretty sure there's a typo (from the ISU, how shocking) in the Best Costume entries. Adam Solya likely belongs with Loena's costume, not C/B's.

I'm a fan of Loena, but that's Best Costume, seriously?
Yup. I wondered about that when I typed it up because I didn't think Solya worked with any of the Montreal skaters. I checked the my original nominations post several lines up, and yes Solya is not listed with Chock/Bates.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Winners (in bold)

Most Valuable Skater:
Ilia Malinin 🇺🇸
Kaori Sakatmoto 🇯🇵
Shoma Uno 🇯🇵

Best Newcomer:
Nina Pinzarrone 🇧🇪
Kimmy Repond 🇨🇭
Hana Yoshida 🇯🇵

Most Entertaining Program:
Kevin Aymoz 🇫🇷
Lilah Fear/Lewis Gibson 🇬🇧
Adam Siao Him Fa 🇫🇷

Best Costume:
Madison Chock/Evan Bates 🇺🇸
Free Dance - Designed by Madison Chock
Loena Hendrickx 🇧🇪
Free Skating - Designed by Loena & Jorik Hendricks, Adam Solya

Haein Lee 🇰🇷
Short Program - Designed by Yu Mi Kim (Edgeplus)

Best Choreographer:
Shae-Lynn Bourne 🇨🇦
Stephane Lambiel 🇨🇦
Beniot Richaud 🇫🇷

Best Coach:
Mie Hamada 🇯🇵
Stephane Lambiel 🇨🇭
Sonoko Nakano 🇯🇵

Lifetime Achievement Award:
Brian Orser 🇨🇦

Special Achievement Award:
Deanna Stellato-Dudek 🇨🇦🇺🇸

Well, about one of the only things I agree with is the special achievement award, that was kind of cool. If Madison’s not gonna win best costume two years in a row then I’m fine with Loena getting it. Although Loena changed her free program costume before Europeans, which was very basic, a black pair of tights. Big whoop. I wonder which version they voted on

A crime that Nina didn’t win best newcomer this year. I can’t even remember any of Hana’s programs.

skatingguy

decently
Refresh my drink, why do people not like her…
Something about a history of emotional, and physical abuse of her students.
I can’t even remember any of Hana’s programs.
But you wanted her choreographer to be nominated for Best Choreographer?

Panja

I watched, and again (as in other years) had the feeling that it's all singles that get the awards. Just one ID-couple among the nominees (Lilah and Lewis) and one pair skater to get the Special Achievement Award. Well, at least a pair skater got that, and I have enormous respect for Deanna so that one is ok. Also liked Brian Orsor getting the Life Time Achievement Award. Would have loved to see Kevin as the Master entertainer with his Bolero, but that was not to be. The one with the most followers on social media seems to be valuable, which to me is not the only criterium for engaging with the audience and making figure skating popular beyond the traditional fans. I was hoping for Nina or Kimmy to get the Best Newcomer Award, but alas it was not to be either. I was pleased to see another Choreographer at Centre Stage than before, as well as other nominees for the coaching. Sure, it's fluff and can be missed, but I for one did like the watch and also was pleased with the presenters.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
What does " Most Valuable Skater " even mean in an individual sport??
It makes total sense in a team sport but this is nonsensical :confused:
Didn’t Ilia win this two years in a row?
I guess that it tops a Four Cs gold medal (honor and money earned)?

I found it funny that the stages of the vocalists and dancers twirled around the ice, as skaters tried to not get hit by them! It was also hard to spot Hana Yoshida on the ice until almost the end of her number. The camera focused on the singer on that wacko stage, then focused on an ice dance couple…finally, Hana glided in.

So is this what new audiences want?

Last edited:

Debbie S

If Madison’s not gonna win best costume two years in a row then I’m fine with Loena getting it. Although Loena changed her free program costume before Europeans, which was very basic, a black pair of tights. Big whoop. I wonder which version they voted on
Madison won the past "2 years in a row," for the Snake and Alien costumes. This would have been her 3rd.

This is the costume Loena won for: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3NbpISNsjk/

orbitz

Most valiable skater without any championship title. Or dear...
OK, he got that title for 4A last year. But this year, why?

Repeated as National Champion. Won a some Grand Prix competitions this year in addition to the GPF. Other than those then yup, "without any championship title" at all. Zilch. Nothing. Nada.

skatingguy

decently

Repeated as National Champion. Won a some Grand Prix competitions this year in addition to the GPF. Other than those then yup, "without any championship title" at all. Zilch. Nothing. Nada.
I think the point being he hasn't won an ISU Championship, as compared to the two other skaters who were nominated who are both reigning two-time World Champions.

airgelaal

And his competitors were nonames?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Didn’t Ilia win this two years in a row?
I guess that it tops a Four Cs gold medal (honor and money earned)?

I found it funny that the stages of the vocalists and dancers twirled around the ice, as skaters tried to not get hit by them! It was also hard to spot Hana Yoshida on the ice until almost the end of her number. The camera focused on the singer on that wacko stage, then focused on an ice dance couple…finally, Hana glided in.

So is this what new audiences want?

No idea who won it before. I have never seen this awards show.

On My Own

He did land the 4A in the SP and establish another milestone this season. I don't really think it matters all that much, and I'm sure Ari Zakarian had a hand in it, as Chenbot Twitter is currently accusing the prestigious ISU Skating Awards of.

One fun moment from Lifetime Achievement Award was Kurt telling Brian he was his mom's favorite. That's... about it.

coppertop1

What does "valuable skater" even mean? These awards seem like the ISU try to be modern (and failing)

airgelaal

He did land the 4A in the SP and establish another milestone this season. I don't really think it matters all that much, and I'm sure Ari Zakarian had a hand in it, as Chenbot Twitter is currently accusing the prestigious ISU Skating Awards of.
And also lost to Fa. Or will we give him a reward every year for 4A?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Ilya, but I don't understand what other skaters have to do to get this award now that Ilya is there.

skatingguy

decently
And also lost to Fa. Or will we give him a reward every year for 4A?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Ilya, but I don't understand what other skaters have to do to get this award now that Ilya is there.
I'm not sure exactly, but Malinin's the only skater in the past couple of seasons to get a lot of attention outside the skating bubble, and that for that reason I would call him the 'Most Valuable Skater' to the ISU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information