ISU SKATING AWARDS - LIVE

airgelaal

I'm not sure exactly, but Malinin's the only skater in the past couple of seasons to get a lot of attention outside the skating bubble, and that for that reason I would call him the 'Most Valuable Skater' to the ISU.
To be honest, the backflip from Fa has become more famous all over the world :rolleyes:

On My Own

To be honest, the backflip from Fa has become more famous all over the world :rolleyes:
Google 'skater does backflip' and all I get is Surya Bonaly links, but when I Google 'skater does quad Axel' I get Malinin links including news articles in major publications that don't notice skating outside of the Olympics.
I agree, but with Fa, airgelaal means a video of his backflip at EC went viral on Reddit and twitter.

Mind you, I don't think that matters as much as Malinin's 4A. V/M have been going viral repeatedly since mid January, but I doubt most of those people even know their names.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Google 'skater does backflip' and all I get is Surya Bonaly links, but when I Google 'skater does quad Axel' I get Malinin links including news articles in major publications that don't notice skating outside of the Olympics.
That seems to be along the lines of what they were looking for:
Most Valuable Skater:Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple who promoted Figure Skating ā€“ due to a successful competition season, creating (social) media attention and engagement in 2023 (GP 2022 accepted).

skatingguy

decently
That seems to be along the lines of what they were looking for:
Most Valuable Skater:Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple who promoted Figure Skating ā€“ due to a successful competition season, creating (social) media attention and engagement in 2023 (GP 2022 accepted).
So Siao Him Fa's backflip wasn't eligible for consideration. @airgelaal

airgelaal

name me a non-figure skating fan who knows what an axel is :rolleyes:
And once again we return to the 4A. He already received an award for it last year.
I can understand why ISU and Ari Zakarian are betting on him. Ilia is young and hungry for victories. There is a huge chance that he will remain in the sport after the Olympic Games in Italy. I think the Fa was given an award for this reason too. The ISU needs stars with long careers.
But this is all about marketing, and not about the true meaning of awards.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
name me a non-figure skating fan who knows what an axel is :rolleyes:
And once again we return to the 4A. He already received an award for it last year.
I can understand why ISU and Ari Zakarian are betting on him. Ilia is young and hungry for victories. There is a huge chance that he will remain in the sport after the Olympic Games in Italy. I think the Fa was given an award for this reason too. The ISU needs stars with long careers.
But this is all about marketing, and not about the true meaning of awards.
At least in the US, Iliaā€™s landing of the 4A made news outlets in a big enough way that I got push notifications when he did it the first time. Of course, that wasnā€™t this season- but still. The only other times in recent memory that I got a push notification about figure skating was ā€˜Valieva misses podiumā€™ and ā€˜Nathan Chen is in 17th placeā€™ or whatever it was in 2018. It was worldwide headline news, too.

Your judgment may be clouded by Fa having done the backflip at Euros a month ago, but I assure you that the quadruple Axel was a much bigger story.

I still stick to the awards being stupid and pointless. An MVP award doesnā€™t relate in any form to skatings biggest medals.

bardtoob

I would think this event would be another name for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

airgelaal

At least in the US, Iliaā€™s landing of the 4A made news outlets in a big enough way that I got push notifications when he did it the first time. Of course, that wasnā€™t this season- but still. The only other times in recent memory that I got a push notification about figure skating was ā€˜Valieva misses podiumā€™ and ā€˜Nathan Chen is in 17th placeā€™ or whatever it was in 2018. It was worldwide headline news, too.

Your judgment may be clouded by Fa having done the backflip at Euros a month ago, but I assure you that the quadruple Axel was a much bigger story.

I still stick to the awards being stupid and pointless. An MVP award doesnā€™t relate in any form to skatings biggest medals.
When? He jumped it for the first time in the summer of 2022. It's February 2024 now.
Once again, he has already received an award for 4A. Shall we give him an award for it every year?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
When? He jumped it for the first time in the summer of 2022. It's February 2024 now.
Once again, he has already received an award for 4A. Shall we give him an award for it every year?
I said it wasnā€™t this season in my first reply. But they are taking into consideration the Grand Prix in 2022, and apparently nothing of 2024. So you want to count Faā€™s Shanghai Triphy backflip? Oh wait. Hardly anyone on this board even knew about that.

Itā€™s a stupid awards ceremony that, Iā€™m going to repeat, SIX PEOPLE decide the winners. Leave it to FSU for the thread to spiral out of control because of those six peopleā€™s decisions šŸ˜‚

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
I agree, but with Fa, airgelaal means a video of his backflip at EC went viral on Reddit and twitter.

Mind you, I don't think that matters as much as Malinin's 4A. V/M have been going viral repeatedly since mid January, but I doubt most of those people even know their names.

I find Surya so much more memorable and didnā€™t she land them on one foot? She did hers as an FU kind of to the judges were I donā€™t know why the hell Adam did hisā€¦made no sense to me. Almost had no purpose, like he was saving it for a couple years, and just decided to do it at that event.

airgelaal

I said it wasnā€™t this season in my first reply. But they are taking into consideration the Grand Prix in 2022, and apparently nothing of 2024. So you want to count Faā€™s Shanghai Triphy backflip? Oh wait. Hardly anyone on this board even knew about that.

Itā€™s a stupid awards ceremony that, Iā€™m going to repeat, SIX PEOPLE decide the winners. Leave it to FSU for the thread to spiral out of control because of those six peopleā€™s decisions šŸ˜‚
And yet he was given an award too. Of all the nominees in his category, he was the weakest and yet he won. The backflip is the most entertaining thing in his program.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
I recall at one competition, when her skater got off the ice after a subpar effort, Yamada slapped the skater right across the face.

Waitttt what???? Are we talking about the same coach ā€¦. the one who sometimes works alongside Tammy gambil ? ANL could bulldoze herā€¦

If itā€™s the coach Iā€™m thinking of. It is completely shocking to me. Wow

Desperado

Itā€™s my second time watching this weird event and I was so annoyed that they kept showing everything but the skaters.

The hosts had a thankless task. Kurt did well considering the awkward setup and his co-host did a great job explaining what the jury looked for in a ā€œMost Valuable Skaterā€ and also retelling the story Kurt has told her about his mom and Brian Orser blowing her a kiss after his performance.

I also loved to see how surprised and emotional Deanna was a her accomplishment award. I liked how she thanked Maxime (love how she pronounces his name the QuĆ©bĆ©cois way) and they both looked like they enjoyed their on ice performance. The constant cuts to the singer wereā€¦ a choice.

Did Alexa and Brandon do another routine that wasnā€™t shown? She was wearing what I can only call a pale green garter belt at the end. It seemed like Gabriella was wearing the same? I definitely missed seeing fun things there.

Also:

Dave Stewart performing Eurythmics songs without Annie Lennox is a tragedy.

Lastly:

I was ok with Iliaā€™s tank top until I saw it was mesh and hello nipples galore! I hate feeling like a creepy old voyeur.

sus2850

And yet he was given an award too. Of all the nominees in his category, he was the weakest and yet he won. The backflip is the most entertaining thing in his program.
Adam also did a backflip at this awards ceremony

livetoskate

I recall at one competition, when her skater got off the ice after a subpar effort, Yamada slapped the skater right across the face.
That was Young You, not too long ago- 1-2 years ago? It was a light slap, looking almost in jest, but still rude & uncalled for.

cailuj365

To me, MVP shouldn't mean who has the most titles. A championship title is an award in itself. These ISU awards are just some type of feel-good, light award for recognizing something beyond competitions. I'm sure the winners are happy for like 20 minutes and then pack the statue in the corner of their suitcase and go about the rest of their day.

Personally, I don't think these awards should be held during Art On Ice. AOI doesn't have any significant connection to ISU, and the focus of the show seems to be more on the singers and the show skaters than the competitive skaters. If they continue with it, the awards should just be given during the Worlds gala or banquet.

sus2850

By the way: The awards show has been invented by Ari Zakarian. He is Malininā€˜s agent. So of course Ilia will be there and will probably win awards constantly.
The awards were Zakarianā€˜s idea and he pitched them successfully to the ISU.
Here is the original press release, I was at that press conference during worlds 2019 where they informed about the plans for the new awards show and Zakarian plus the Art On Ice representative were present.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
By the way: The awards show has been invented by Ari Zakarian. He is Malininā€˜s agent. So of course Ilia will be there and will probably win awards constantly.
The awards were Zakarianā€˜s idea and he pitched them successfully to the ISU.
Here is the original press release, I was at that press conference during worlds 2019 where they informed about the plans for the new awards show and Zakarian plus the Art On Ice representative were present.
Okay, I remember that now, that it was going to debut at 2020 Worlds in Montreal. And I see now how the format is, online voting and then panel for the final three.

eta... deleted as I found the answer. I see the panel today is made up of skaters so fair enough if they want to have fun giving these awards to other skaters.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information