ISU Skating Awards (3rd edition) - Sunday, Feb. 5, 2023 live from Zurich

Sylvia

TBD
For those interested in watching today: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/isu-skating-awards

On February 5, 2023, the International Skating Union (ISU) will present a unique ISU Skating Awards event, which will be staged and filmed live during the renowned Art on Ice show taking place at the Hallenstadion Arena in Zurich (SUI). By way of this special format and venue, next year’s ISU Skating Awards Ceremony promises to deliver a spectacular experience: several of the world’s top Figure Skaters will offer exclusive interviews and performances within an entertaining show featuring international music superstars.

Reuniting their expertise and passion to celebrate Figure Skating, the ISU and Art on Ice are more than ever committed to presenting a new ISU Skating Awards event bringing together the thrill of a skating show with all the glamour of an Prize-giving ceremony. By contrast to the 2020 and 2021 editions that were exclusively live-streamed, the 2023 ISU Skating Awards will be for the first time produced in front of a live audience and simultaneously broadcasted on the Skating ISU YouTube channel.

Livestream & replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe9IpDYTPww

Nominees (3 finalists in each category): https://isu.org/figure-skating/news...s-of-the-skating-awards-2023?templateParam=15

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
And the winners are...

Most Valuable Skater: Nathan Chen (USA)

Most Entertaining Program: Gabriella Papadakis / Guillaume Cizeron (FRA)

Best Newcomer: Isabeau Levito (USA)

Best Costume: Madison Chock / Evan Bates (USA)

Best Coach: Patrice Lauzon

Best Choreographer: Shae-Lynn Bourne

Lifetime Achievement Award: Katarina Witt (GER)

Special Achievement Award: Ilia Malinin (USA)

More here: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...-of-the-2023-awards-revealed?templateParam=15

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
And the winners are...

Most Valuable Skater: Nathan Chen (USA)

Most Entertaining Program: Gabriella Papadakis / Guillaume Cizeron (FRA)

Best Newcomer: Isabeau Levito (USA)

Best Costume: Madison Chock / Evan Bates (USA)

Best Coach: Patrice Lauzon

Best Choreographer: Shae-Lynn Bourne

Lifetime Achievement Award: Katarina Witt (GER)

Special Achievement Award: Ilia Malinin (USA)

More here: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...-of-the-2023-awards-revealed?templateParam=15
Great for USA! 🇺🇸 Also - WITT!!!! 🇩🇪

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Of the nominees/semi-finalists, I voted for the outrageous and outlandish Gilles/Poirier, but of the finalists, Loena probably would have been my choice. On TV, Chock & Bates' costumes last season didn't read as vibrantly as I've heard they were in person.
I was sort of making a historical comment re: Chock. I didn't really study the entries. :lol:

Desperado

Glad I didn’t watch this live because the setup with the presenters (Johnny Weir and co-host) being backstage and the winners being on-site and on video was very awkward.

The interview with Ilia was adorable though and it was nice to see Deniss, Shae-Lynn and Katarina.

Didn’t think I would ever see James & Radford skate again, but here they were with some nice tricks.

With that shiny top, you can see Aljona is still training hard and so is Denise Biellmann, wish I could have seen her skate more.

Frau Muller

TSL devoted most of yesterday’s weekly This and That to the ISU Awards show.

Adding: The awards show is up on the ISU’s YouTube channel…almost three hours long (including the opening 9-minute countdown clock):

Last edited:

mtnskater

TSL devoted most of yesterday’s weekly This and That to the ISU Awards show.

Adding: The awards show is up on the ISU’s YouTube channel…almost three hours long (including the opening 9-minute countdown clock):

Yes and TSL proceeded to trash Isabeau Levito per usual even though she was voted best newcomer. Then inexplicably they had to again dig into Alysa Liu, even though she is retired, with Dave exclaiming she was an example of technique that did not last after which Dave said he forgot she won a world bronze medal last year and what a strange world championships it was last year. I stopped listening at that point. Was hopeful I’d hear a nice recap of the awards ceremony, but they also trashed that saying it was inappropriate for the sport’s governing body to give out such awards, even though USFS does a reader’s choice award every year. :huh:

Frau Muller

Yes and TSL proceeded to trash Isabeau Levito per usual even though she was voted best newcomer. Then inexplicably they had to again dig into Alysa Liu, even though she is retired, with Dave exclaiming she was an example of technique that did not last after which Dave said he forgot she won a world bronze medal last year and what a strange world championships it was last year. I stopped listening at that point. Was hopeful I’d hear a nice recap of the awards ceremony, but they also trashed that saying it was inappropriate for the sport’s governing body to give out such awards, even though USFS does a reader’s choice award every year. :huh:
Yes, they even dug into Katerina a bit…implying that she won the lifetime trophy because she was conveniently nearby…but also said positive things about her.

I hear the talk about Alysa but didn’t get outright “hate” from it.

I don’t think that they dislike Isabeau…just her jumping technique, which is a leitmotif with many here at FSU (but I disagree).

On My Own

Has there, so far, been any evidence that this has helped skating in any manner? Made it visible to a wider audience, perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information