The Dance Hall 5: Ice Dance Fans 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

Per the From Russia With Love Thread, Shpilevaya & Smirnov aren't competing at Russian Junior Nationals.:( So no Junior Worlds? And no decent SB for this season and almost no world standing points to help their transition to seniors next year. Sigh.

legjumper

I'm happy that Hurtado/Khaliavin had such a good competition and hope they can do as well at the Olympics. Securing two spots for Spain is great, and perhaps they can have skate offs at Euros for the world spot from now on.
I think it will be interesting to see if FEDH will have Euros be the only qualifier for Worlds, or if they will involve some other BOW-type criteria in addition to Euros results (e.g., combo of Nationals and Euros results, season's bests, etc.). I'm sure they'll be closely watching the performances and results of both teams at Olympics and Worlds.

wickedwitch

Per the From Russia With Love Thread, Shpilevaya & Smirnov aren't competing at Russian Junior Nationals.:( So no Junior Worlds? And no decent SB for this season and almost no world standing points to help their transition to seniors next year. Sigh.
:fragile: They're my favorite of the baby Russians. I was hoping to see them dominate -- or at least earn JWC and JGPF medals -- this season.

Bigbird

And lucky boy ;) I doubt he would go now to the Olympics if he had instead teamed up with someone like Yanovskaya.

It was the timing of things as well as how they matched up physically. She is actually now much smaller also than his previous partner. The moment though she starts being consistent with her twizzles and they start beating Russian couples, Zhulin might be politely advised to drop them as their coach.

Last edited:

chapis

They may keep it & adjust it to a senior format. They only got to skate it once on the JGP. It certainly hadn't maxed out its potential.

yes, they should keep their program, especially after seeing all the messing programs that presented Pavel/Alla, the Parsons, and even M/C in their first senior year.

lauravvv

Ivan Bukin is not allowed to participate at the Olympics Games. IOC : "No explanation"

http://tass.ru/sport/4895256

Ksenia Stolbova is also out in the Pairs category.

If someone understands what's going on I'll take it.
I don't understand this either. Probably there are some suspicions about doping (although I don't want to believe that)? Or have they said something on some social network that IOC didn't like?

Also, I know that it's not nice to say something like that, but this may be good news to Zagorski/ Guerreiro and Astakhova/Rogonov and their fans.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
There is no official IOC statement yet, Russian media reports that it is because something came up from the records of the Moscow anti-doping lab. We proably won't get the full picture until 29th Jan when the full OAR team is supposed to be confirmed.

Bigbird

There is no official IOC statement yet, Russian media reports that it is because something came up from the records of the Moscow anti-doping lab. We proably won't get the full picture until 29th Jan when the full OAR team is supposed to be confirmed.

Probably doping. IIRC Russia has been banned from doing their own doping tests for a number of events. So maybe Bobrova has been clean consistently and they've found something suspicious about Bukin's. It could be medical related but probably he didn't get official clearance to use it. So it does look like it will be B/S and Z/G who will go to the OGs and WCs. But we'll hear soon enough what is going to happen.

Anyasnake

I would really like an explanation. I don't understand, was he ever tested positive ? At europeans, or before ? Was he ever under any kind of suspicious behaviour ? Not that we know of.
If not, which is the most likely scenario since you need to be stupid to some level to use drugs with everything that is going on right now, what would be the possibilities ? I can't see any. For once, I would like a statement because it's messy.
It's dreadful, because it might follow him forever. I can't imagine a commentator saying every single time they take the ice : "Banned from the Games", like everyone does with Katya and Worlds 2016. Especially when you are that talented.

EDIT : https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/955814916270841857

IOC : "Doping not necessarily the cause". WTH ? Doping or no doping ? Awful PR.

caseyedwards

One of the standards that was being pushed by anti doping people was how much the athletes campaigned against doping. Maybe it is a matter that has to be investigated. Did Bukin make a joke about doping at any point?

Anyasnake

One of the standards that was being pushed by anti doping people was how much the athletes campaigned against doping. Maybe it is a matter that has to be investigated. Did Bukin make a joke about doping at any point?
What do you mean ? That he could have laughed about something even by being innocent and that backfired ? I don't see IOC banning someone for a "bad joke". :confused:

caseyedwards

What do you mean ? That he could have laughed about something even by being innocent and that backfired ? I don't see IOC banning someone for a "bad joke". :confused:
An official requirement of some athletes is to join a Facebook page that is about anti doping so you never know what they are going to demand and it is possible making a joke about doping could mean banning.

Anyasnake

An official requirement of some athletes is to join a Facebook page that is about anti doping so you never know what they are going to demand and it is possible making a joke about doping could mean banning.
I did not know that. But then free speech and everything. But I'm speculating, not right. I'm going to wait for more information I guess. What a mess.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
So based on that tweet, we can't expect any kind of explanation. I find it crazy unless it's some unspeakable personal reason but I can't see what. And what the heck with the non doping thing, what else ? Baffling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information