Canadian Ladies 2017-18 season news & updates

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Well it doesn't have to be cutesy per se, just more fun and vivacious than Summertime. :p I swear I'll get used to it eventually, I mean if I can deal with La La Land from Ashley I can deal with this. There's still the LP and her huge jumps to look forward to.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
...and the subject has been changed, and being called out doesn't do a damn thing it just gets ignored...once again. ;) which is exactly why I will always call you out on your self-righteous BS forever.

I think Michelle Long and Alicia Pineault should be thrilled to compete amongst such amazing senior ladies! :cheer: best of luck to them.

You do realize this is a thread about Canadian ladies right? So how could it be a change in subject when that is the subject? Also why do you find it necessary to insult people?

aftershocks

Banned Member
At this point.... Osmond might as well do Irma La Douce .... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMPV0eFLxbQ

...... because "Bring on the Men" tune requires too much editing... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Fbi0bsPLw

:lol: Kaetlyn Osmond even has somewhat of a physical resemblance to the young Shirley Maclaine. :)

If Kaetlyn is planning to drop the 'cutesy,' she can't go wrong with the Laura theme song/soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIWTqMoTUM8

I can't wait to see Gabby Daleman's Gladiator. :watch:

Last edited:

Catherine M

That's too bad for Cotop.

Saw on social media that Emily Bausback is going to the JGP in Croatia so its looking like Skate Canada is spreading the limited JGP assignments around, which they should.

4rkidz

You could see the potential for Cotop as she opened with her triple triple, hopefully next time she will be clean as she is certainly a contender

Tinami Amori

mag

I will qualify this by saying I have not seen Cotop live.

Okay, that said, there is something very odd about her crossovers. They seem small and not very powerful which is not at all what I heard from people who say her skate at Challenge and Nationals last year. She does look like she has just had a bit of a growth spurt, but that really shouldn't affect the quality of how she actually crosses and pushes. Did anyone see her live yesterday? Could it just be camera angle? The jumps she landed in the program and the few I saw on the warm up stream looked good, her presentation in nice, but those crossovers were a disraction for me.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

mag

So Tamura has to go up against the world silver medalist and Austman gets Nepela ...

I can understand not sending Austman back to Autumn Classic because she has gone the past two years. I think a smaller European Challenger for Tamura would have given a better comparison, sending Austman to Salt Lake.

ETA:

Whoops, never mind. Just looked at the entries for Nepela. My bad!

ChiquitaBanana

I will qualify this by saying I have not seen Cotop live.

Okay, that said, there is something very odd about her crossovers. They seem small and not very powerful which is not at all what I heard from people who say her skate at Challenge and Nationals last year. She does look like she has just had a bit of a growth spurt, but that really shouldn't affect the quality of how she actually crosses and pushes. Did anyone see her live yesterday? Could it just be camera angle? The jumps she landed in the program and the few I saw on the warm up stream looked good, her presentation in nice, but those crossovers were a disraction for me.

I totally agree. I'd say she skates by pixels... I don't know if it translates well my thoughts though, lol! There is something robotic aout the way she strokes strokes strokes quick quick quick but not with much power from each stroke. More like oumoing pumping pumping, pause, graceful movement, pumping.

That is said, she has tons of potential, she truly skates with her heart and passion, can interpret the music well, is graceful and can do the jumps. It is really a matter of stroking technique. Some lessons with ice dancers would be good for her.

Reactions: mag

Rock2

One important spot open for Junior Worlds.
One potentially-open spot on Olympic team if someone's ready to take a run at Alaine.

Waiting for the contenders to emerge. Standing by....

danafan

Canadian ladies über
One important spot open for Junior Worlds.

Bausback, Colthorp, Cotop, Gran, McGaghey, Pineault, Tamura, and Tobin all have the required junior TES. Yim has the SP minimum only but doesn't have any internationals this season that we know of.

Hopefully the new skaters assigned this year (Schmuacher, Bulawka, Dawson) will be successful in getting the score too to give us more skaters to choose from.

:)

http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/tes/stsljustjun.htm

Rock2

The music cutting out literally in the middle of 2A+3T is seriously bad luck. Being able to continue without loss of focus as Ted pointed out was truly impressive. Her 3L came up right after and she nailed it. Kudos.

Good redemption from the SP. Might have saved her chances for a second assignment as a leading contender for JW who has almost no international experience.
I wonder if she'll add the 3Z to this program later in the season....

shutterbug

Cotop was much better in the free skate at JGP Brisbane. Her individual program doesn't seem to be uploaded yet but don't worry, I queued up the full broadcast right at the point of her program ;)

https://youtu.be/Zst6QJnCVtE?t=2h42m58s
Nice recovery from Aurora. :) I like her choice of music - very appropriate for a young girl. I'd like to see her take the time to finish off her movements a little bit more, but overall a good job. And can I just say how much I love Ted Barton's commentary? Always so kind and positive.

barbarafan

Nice recovery from Aurora. :) I like her choice of music - very appropriate for a young girl. I'd like to see her take the time to finish off her movements a little bit more, but overall a good job. And can I just say how much I love Ted Barton's commentary? Always so kind and positive.
Ted is so amazing....Always wonderful words of encouragement for the kids...and I love how he points out what went wrong on the mistakes.

ichiro

Nice redemption from Cotop. Some pointed out that her stroking in general was a little odd. Hope she continues to work on her glide to remedy this. But overall she's coming along nicely.

vesperholly

Nice redemption from Cotop. Some pointed out that her stroking in general was a little odd. Hope she continues to work on her glide to remedy this. But overall she's coming along nicely.
I think I see why - backwards, she lifts up the "over" foot just slightly off the ice, and there's a bit of toe-pushing in the forward crossovers. Makes them look choppy. She rushes, but that might be nerves.

Love her pointed feet in the jumps though. Very promising!

mag

I think I see why - backwards, she lifts up the "over" foot just slightly off the ice, and there's a bit of toe-pushing in the forward crossovers. Makes them look choppy. She rushes, but that might be nerves.

Love her pointed feet in the jumps though. Very promising!

I think you are correct about the crossovers. I also agree that she is very promising! It is really too bad that she is a couple of weeks too young to be considered for the Olympic team. Clearly that rule is not stopping young kids from training the big elements so it really seems rather protectionist, as in making the Olympics a reward for time served rather than skill. Not in all cases of course, but for the third Canadian lady it certainly will be as Cotop, given a level playing field, can certainly out skate some of those considered front runners for the spot. With a senior short I have no doubt she would have three clean triples. I assume she will skate senior at Challenge and Nationals and I really hope her marks reflect what she does and she isn't held down because she can't go to the Olympics.

4rkidz

Gabby Dalemen looking good. She skated in Brian's summer camp show an physically looks very fit, and jumping well. He had some of his up an coming skaters there, a spitfire I really liked is a little girl from Mexico 9 years old with her doubles but great ice coverage an presentation called Natalie Acosta. Another little one of note a Pre Novice skater Brooke McIntosh with clean double axels an her doubles. From the States two little skaters Jamie McSweeney great height on her doubles an lovely presentation an Hetty Shi an cute little thing with nice skating skills.

WanderlustTO

It's been a while since i've checked in and am trying to catch up...can anyone be super nice and indulge me in a quick update re how Daleman/Osmond are looking so far?

ChiquitaBanana

Clearly that rule is not stopping young kids from training the big elements so it really seems rather protectionist, as in making the Olympics a reward for time served rather than skill.

I take the rule as preserving them from psychological and mental point of view from overwhelming events like Worlds and the Big O. Just look what it did to Lipnitskaya and a few others. Too much pressure, too young. I'd increase Olympics age by one more year if it were from me. Keep them mentally sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information