Canadian Ladies 2017-18 season news & updates

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
....if she hits her program. :D

I'm rather intrigued as to what Daleman's SP will be like. :saint:Carmen could have a big impact if it's done really well.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
That's pretty much the tagline for every skater's programme ever :lol:

Touché, but Kaetlyn Osmond fell so many more times than any top ladies skater in the world last year. :lynch: At least twice as many times, hence this mantra applies specifically to her and that short program.

antmanb

Touché, but Kaetlyn Osmond fell so many more times than any top ladies skater in the world last year. :lynch: At least twice as many times, hence, this mantra applies specifically to her and that short program.

Did she fall so much more than other top ladies skater? Obviously Medvedeva is in a league of her own in terms of jump consistency, but was Osmond so much worse than the rest of the top ladies? Worse than Gracie? Worse than Ashley? Pogo? Rad? Sotskova? (Genuinely I can't remember but it's not the impression I had).

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Yeah, she fell over 10 times over the course of the season. Some of them were hard to watch. Not that I was counting because of the huuuuuuuge overhype she was getting in spite of those falls :shuffle: but she did.

Gracie Gold wasn't a top ladies skater last season.

That's why it's best not to get too ahead of yourself with Osmond... or parade around a whiny disclaimer about Medvedeva's scoring when she hits every program the entire season.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
...and the subject has been changed, and being called out doesn't do a damn thing it just gets ignored...once again. ;) which is exactly why I will always call you out on your self-righteous BS forever.

I think Michelle Long and Alicia Pineault should be thrilled to compete amongst such amazing senior ladies! :cheer: best of luck to them.

barbarafan

Yeah, she fell over 10 times over the course of the season. Some of them were hard to watch. Not that I was counting because of the huuuuuuuge overhype she was getting in spite of those falls :shuffle: but she did.

That's why it's best not to get too ahead of yourself with Osmond... or parade around a whiny disclaimer about Medvedeva's scoring when she hits every program the entire season.

Earth to Karpenko..the marks are supposed to be for what is put down on the ice that performance not that in lots of other performances no mistakes were made...She is technically superb & very consistant however her performance choreo and interpetation of the music leaves a lot to be desired...Hence PCS are too high...so yes she is overmarked but still should have won too date...As far as Osmond goes she had a terrible injury that took forever to heal so she could not jump for well over a year and it was slow going after that...Most people would have hung up their skates...Hopefully this yr she will build on her momentum...and we will see.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I'm not blind that marks for Med are too high but the hypocrisy is way worse IMO. It shouldn't be a shock because she doesn't miss. Ever. She's been the best and keeps improving, while Osmond kept falling last season when everybody hyped her up way too much. (Which didn't help btw). You can't really knock Janny's scores much if she keeps hitting, improving, and her biggest competition keeps falling.

Cheers to a successful season ahead where someone actually puts up a fight to beat her (for once)! :40beers: Osmond is good enough to do it, is a sweet person, and would be appalled that her 'fans' are so disrespectful to Janny when she wants to beat her on her own merit. :summer: let's see if she can do it, and if she doesn't she'll be nothing but respectful to Medvedeva like she always is!

Earth to barbarafan, Kaetlyn really likes and respects Janny. :p and vice-versa. :) you can't knock someone for hitting all the time, you respect them for it. Kaetlyn would want the same if it were the other way around, hopefully she can start doing that this year because she's awesome.

Rock2

Sadly (somewhat), repeated clean skates drives your PCS up. Anyone else can benefit from this unwritten rule, which gives me less reason to complain.

Fine to hate the game but not the players. So, given that element of the game, I'd like to see a little run of clean skates from a few top athletes to see what judges do. Not sure if that will happen though but we'll see.

vesperholly

I'm not blind that marks for Med are too high but the hypocrisy is way worse IMO. It shouldn't be a shock because she doesn't miss. Ever. She's been the best and keeps improving, while Osmond kept falling last season when everybody hyped her up way too much. (Which didn't help btw). You can't really knock Janny's scores much if she keeps hitting, improving, and her biggest competition keeps falling.
Since when was Medvedeva's "biggest competition" Osmond? Before last season, Osmond hadn't even been competed at Worlds since 2014 and though she made the GPF last season, she was a distant 4th.

You also underline your bias when you call Med "Janny". Scores are not cumulative - though Med's reputation certainly precedes herself, especially in PCS marks.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Out of everything I said to underline my bias, you went with me calling her Janny? :lol: that's her nickname and lots of people call her that, I'm sure if Osmond had one she'd be called that nickname by people here too?

I'm pointing out the bias elsewhere, Id love to see someone be able to compete with Evgenia Medvedeva but so far nobody has stepped up to the plate. I named Osmond because she's the one everyone is putting their hopes on to do it, hence me naming her as the biggest competition? She's the current world silver medalist. Kind of a lame way to try to expose my bias, you could've pin pointed many other things I said but you went with me calling her Janny. :p

I'm team Janny over Kaetlyn because of all the sh!t Osmond ubers have been throwing her way the past season, not necessarily because I prefer one over the other. I'm trying to point out the bias if you will. :) She hit all year while she was crapped on by fans, and Osmond fell apart many times.

It doesn't have to be that way this season.

They are both awesome and I just don't care for the Osmond fans. Its pretty self explanatory why I dont like them at this point. It's not Kaetlyn. It seriously boggles my mind how people that I consider to be otherwise really smart, can't see/smell their own crap and act surprised when it gets thrown back at them. How can you not see how ridiculous the double standard is? Evgenia Medvedeva hits, nobody else does. The end. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah you would all see what I mean by now (obviously, I've said it so many times now), if you were ever going to see it to begin with. I just keep going on and on and on and all of my rants don't mean a damn thing, you will all be the same way this year regardless of how they skate, so I'll just let things play out in peace.

Let's hope Kaetlyn Osmond has some clean competitions this year!:cheer:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
As far as Osmond goes she had a terrible injury that took forever to heal so she could not jump for well over a year

It's silly to argue about it all. I wonder what that's really like for skaters: dealing with injuries in a comeback season, compounded by nervous jitters affecting your confidence? At least try to be honest about our faves, eh?

Yes, in the first season that Kaetlyn came back from injury (2015-16), she had a great deal of trouble staying upright with some gorgeous programs, so much so that she did not make the Canadian ladies World team (even as much as Canadian judges would have preferred her to win or make the team). Kaetlyn placed third at Cdn Nats, and Canada in 2015-16 could only send two ladies, so Daleman and Chartrand went to Worlds. Daleman placed 9th at 2016 Worlds and Chartrand came in 17th (even as Canadian #1, so she struggled afterwards with rep and confidence).

What a difference a year makes, eh!

Probably a great deal of Kaetlyn's troubles in 2015-16 were based on having been off for her injury and dealing with comeback healing process. OTOH, Kaetlyn has never been perfectly consistent. She is known for experiencing competitive stumbles. I'm sure her struggles in 2015-16 season were not helpful for her confidence. She likely resolved to fight back after she failed to make the World team. By the skin of her nose, Kaetlyn overcame jitters in her 2017 World fp after laying down a bravura sp. It's quite clear that Kaetlyn was doing her damnest to get through that fp. Some of the jumps were shaky, and she doubled out on one. But she managed to make it through. Clearly, it was all about her overcoming nervous jitters. That's why she collapsed to the ice in relief and joy at the end. Getting through that obstacle course of personal butterflies to win World silver, has bolstered Kaetlyn's confidence.

Meanwhile, Gracie Gold had a golden opportunity to break through in a big way at 2016 Boston Worlds. It seemed that Gracie might have gotten over her very evident nervewracking hurdles at 2016 U.S. Nats, but no it was not to be. Even despite skating well in the sp at Boston, and only having a couple of not too bad mistakes in the fp, Gracie fell to 4th. Medvedeva (who had hiccoughed in the sp in Boston but was protected by the judges and placed in 3rd ahead of a clean Ash Wagner) prevailed to win big time: her first World championship. Also in Boston, Pogorilaya did not implode, so Gracie bit the 4th place bullet by 2.40. Unfortunately Gracie took the loss hard, harder than the narrow 2.40 margin of her fp errors would warrant. The rest is history. But how soon we forget the pesky details. There was the opportunity for a Gold-Medvedeva rivalry, but it was not to be.

Instead of two U.S. ladies making the World podium in Boston, after a number of years of Gold and Wagner flirting with podium opportunities, two Russian ladies grab gold and bronze. A U.S. lady (Ashley Wagner) takes silver and the U.S. thus reaches the World podium for the first time in 10 years. (Despite this uncharacteristic drought, amazingly U.S. ladies still hold the record for the most medals won at Worlds: 26 gold; 22 silver; 24 bronze).

But the tables have turned in a different direction with Japan and South Korea's Kim Yu Na dominating over the past 10 years, Russia coming on strong over the past 6 years, and Italy's Carolina Kostner grabbing medals here and there ever since her first bronze in 2005. Canada has never been a great power in ladies, but that has changed too. It didn't happen overnight either. Gabby has been steadily improving. Chartrand was showing competitive talent in recent years, and there was hope for the remarkable Kaetlyn who first began to show promise on the senior World scene in 2013, now having come back all the way from injury. The NA throne was ceded, and unexpectedly but very deservingly and excitingly another NA duo have climbed aboard the elusive World podium. And they ain't gonna give it up easily, having overcome personal challenges and tasted sweet victory.

Gabby saved the day in 2016 and made some noise coming in 9th at Worlds, and she only continued to get better and better. As far as nerves, everyone has them. Gabby has spoken about how her coaches try to distract her before she goes out on to the ice to keep her from overthinking and becoming agitated. I believe both Gabby and Kaetlyn will keep what they've learned in their back pocket. I totally would like to see Medvedeva scored accurately on PCS and not deified as unbeatable, because she's not.

There are also new, young and very talented Junior ladies entering seniors from Japan and Russia. And there's the strong possibility that Karen Chen may continue to challenge competitively. She certainly has the programs to do just that. Ash Wagner has the chutzpah to be in the mix, and Gracie Gold should not be completely counted out, despite her past notorious struggles. Mirai has the talent to surprise as well. It's all a matter of rep, luck, holding one's own during the GP and trying to make a statement that Med is not the only star in the firmament. I think that Kaetlyn and Gabby have an edge going into the new season, and if they can build successfully on their rep advantage during the GP, they will remain very strong contenders throughout the season.

It's just that anything can and does happen in figure skating.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Hmmm, here's what Buyanova (coach of Sotskova and Radionova) had to say about Daleman and Osmond, when asked in an interview -- posted in GSD):

"EV: How serious is the rivalry of the Canadians Osmond and Daleman?
EB: I like them both: strong, jumpers, very feminine and it's a big advantage. It's kind of a skating I always liked: I like it when the jump is not big, but huge. So they both can be dangerous at the Olympics. We should not underestimate them."

antmanb

:confused: Did she pee in your cornflakes? Actually I went back and watched some of her LPS and she did have plenty of big painful falls (4CC was particularly brutal), but genuinely I didn't see any hype going into worlds. Personally I love her skating and was really pleased that she got that silver medal at worlds (just like I was happy that Wagner did it the year before too).

But I think it's hard to determine who the top ladies skaters are in general because of inconsistencies among all of them, and injuries taking out Miyahara so its a pretty big field.

:rofl: so this is all about your silly feud with Danafan. Ok i'll leave it then :lol:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Right it's best to just leave it be, I'm very stubborn and just can't help myself when it comes to certain people. Kaetlyn rocks, Evgenia Medvedeva rocks, this is boring and so :yawn: even to me now, who cares anymore it's Olympic season. New year new chapter, learning from the past is fun.

Do Daleman and Osmond go head to head at all this year before Nationals (besides the potential GPF)? The competition between those two really bring out the best in each other, I doubt it'll happen though unless they both do a smaller competition. It would be a good idea early on before the GP IMO, just to make sure they're both ready to attack at the first event.

mag

Unless Osmond decides to Challenge, I doubt they will face each other. Daleman has done Challenge the past couple of year. Wonder if she will again?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
So the summer series standings were updated: https://info.skatecanada.ca/hc/en-c...1063/Senior_Women_Summer_Series_-_082117b.pdf

The top 5 skaters are the ones who have already received international assignments (Osmond and Chartrand GP, Austman to Nepela Trophy Pineault and Long to SLC).

Emy Decelles didn't get to use her score from Thornhill so she doesn't move up the standings.

Austman has by far the top single score of those in contention for the Skate Canada pick.

If Long got an assignment and her best score was 144.35, I wonder if others with similar scores will be considered. That would include Wong, Tobin, Tamura, Deguise-Léveillée, Tamura, maybe Emy Decelles (based on her Thorhnill score which is not in this chart).

No subs were listed for the SLC event.

Hopefully the list for Autumn Classic and the other senior Bs will be updated soon!

Mallet and Kim Decelles didn't skate in the summer series so I wonder if they might be considered for an international. Mallet missed last season and has no current TES minimum and Kim Decelles only has the 4CC/Olympics short minimum from last year.

Catherine M

I wonder if the TBD at Skate Canada will be left open till after Austman and Pineault skate their B internationals!? Or does the name have to go in before that!?!?

Rock2

I wonder if the TBD at Skate Canada will be left open till after Austman and Pineault skate their B internationals!? Or does the name have to go in before that!?!?

While not being on the national team doesn't exclude you from international assignments as we are seeing, I have to think the SC slot will go to a national team member. Someone else would have to seriously kick butt in the summer series to impact that thinking. Hasn't happened.

Austman and Tamura will be monitored at camp next week and I think the decision will be all but made at that point between the two.

kalamalka

Unless Osmond decides to Challenge, I doubt they will face each other. Daleman has done Challenge the past couple of year. Wonder if she will again?
Since Challenge is the week before GPF, if either/both make it (hoping for both of course), they won't go. I'd also be surprised if Osmond did it if she doesn't make GPF - it's a long way (and expensive) to Montreal from Edmonton, and no reason to disrupt training that much for no real competitive purpose.

Tinami Amori

Do Daleman and Osmond go head to head at all this year before Nationals (besides the potential GPF)? The competition between those two really bring out the best in each other, I doubt it'll happen though unless they both do a smaller competition. It would be a good idea early on before the GP IMO, just to make sure they're both ready to attack at the first event.
I have a gut feeling that it is Daleman this year who will be Osmond's biggest challenge.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It's never been published, but it's apparently a fact that there is a deadline for announcing the TBD's. Going from the last decade or so, that deadline has been between mid-August the very beginning of September. The ISU made an exception for the French Fed for some years, and let them fill the TBA's after French Masters, but it's been a while.

They can pull host skaters and substitute anyone who has basic senior eligibility. Some Feds have no problems with that, but I don't think it's been done, or at least often, by USFS, Skate Canada, or the Japanese Fed.

We should see the TBD's announced soon.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I just have to say, in light of recent music news I think that "Candyman" would make an adorable new SP for Osmond. :inavoid: maybe for 2020 Worlds? :glamor: Or something along those lines, with a navy girl uniform like Isabelle Delobel had in 2009(?) in the OD. :kickass: it would contrast Black Swan so well and show off what makes her sparkle.

honey

I just have to say, in light of recent music news I think that "Candyman" would make an adorable new SP for Osmond. :inavoid: maybe for 2020 Worlds? :glamor: Or something along those lines, with a navy girl uniform like Isabelle Delobel had in 2009(?) in the OD. :kickass: it would contrast Black Swan so well and show off what makes her sparkle.

She actually did an exhibition to this back in 2013.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MN01KrNWHFo

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
IMO, KO is a gorgeous, gifted skater and elegant young woman. That Candyman thing was horrid. But that is me.

Rock2

There comes a time in everyone's career where they just gotta lose the 'cutesy' and become an adult. Happened to D10, Yamaguchi, Asada, Sui/Han and a bunch of others.

Keep moving, KO, and don't look back....

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information