Korean skating news & updates

seabm7

Dabin CHOI will train one more year. Her objective is participating in Lake Placid Universiade.

It will not be easy for her to get the ticket. Both Yelim KIM and Eunsoo LIM will be eligible for the Universiade, in addition to Hanul KIM.

Marco

With RUS out, KOR girls will have a fighting chance at a medal at Worlds - the first one since Yuna in 2013.

And Junhwan - I always liked him - but he showed such great form at the Olympics that it surprised me. I hope he can carry it over for Worlds. Who knows what scores there can be if he lands that 4toe?!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
With RUS out, KOR girls will have a fighting chance at a medal at Worlds - the first one since Yuna in 2013.

And Junhwan - I always liked him - but he showed such great form at the Olympics that it surprised me. I hope he can carry it over for Worlds. Who knows what scores there can be if he lands that 4toe?!
Korean women has a GREAT shot at finally earning that 3rd spot again. I hope You and Kim can get the job done.

KaoriFan

Wasn’t it just two Korean women at 2010 Olys and Worlds after Yuma won 2009 Worlds? Just Yuna & M. Kwak, if memory serves.

I don't remember! And the rules could have been different from 2009-2010 and 2013-2014. I do remember Yuna's interview with CBC after she won 2013 Worlds. She was happy to achieve spots for her younger Korean skaters.

skatingguy

decently
Did Korean women get three from Yuna winning worlds?

Young You and Yelim have been great this year. I like their skating, and they are underscored. Good luck to them at worlds.

Wasn’t it just two Korean women at 2010 Olys and Worlds after Yuma won 2009 Worlds? Just Yuna & M. Kwak, if memory serves.

I don't remember! And the rules could have been different from 2009-2010 and 2013-2014. I do remember Yuna's interview with CBC after she won 2013 Worlds. She was happy to achieve spots for her younger Korean skaters.
There were 3 Korean in the women's discipline in 2014. Because Kim was the only Korean skater at the 2013 World Championships, and she finished first, she earned 3 spots for the country.

KaoriFan

The Koreans in 2009 were 1st & 17th, that's only enough for 2 entries. Kim was alone in 2009, and by finishing in the top 2 she earned 3 spots.

Do you think something should be done about this scoring system? For instance, if the Koreans knew this kind of outcome ahead of time, why not tell the 17th skater to WD or stay home? Would that have effect on the number of placements?

skatingguy

decently
Do you think something should be done about this scoring system? For instance, if the Koreans knew this kind of outcome ahead of time, why not tell the 17th skater to WD or stay home? Would that have effect on the number of placements?
It's an unusual situation where a country has one strong skater, and the next best skater is quite a bit weaker. Entries for the Olympics have now changed so the situation with 2013 couldn't happen now as the extra entries have to be earned at Nebelhorn rather than directly at the World Championships.

seabm7

Haein Lee will skip Junior Worlds. Instead she is going to Triglav Trophy. Ahsun YUN will replace Haein Lee for Junior Worlds:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Haein Lee will skip Junior Worlds. Intead she is going to Triglav Trophy. Ahsun YUN will replace Haein Lee for Junior Worlds
Thanks! So the 4th to 6th place women at Senior Nationals in January 2022 will compete at Junior Worlds in April:

4 Jia SHIN 204.08 [68.97 (2) 135.11 (4)] http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00111338.htm
5 Seoyeong WI 197.92 [67.45 (5) 130.47 (6)] http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00104794.htm
6 Ahsun YUN 197.09 [64.81 (9) 132.28 (5)] http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00111161.htm

The lone man and ice dance team will be Younghyun CHA (4th at Senior Nationals) http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00102439.htm
and Hannah LIM / Ye QUAN: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00111175.htm

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Haein Lee will skip Junior Worlds. Intead she is going to Triglav Trophy. Ahsun YUN will replace Haein Lee for Junior Worlds:

Hmmmm... interesting decision. I'm guessing the WS points from her 4CCs finish are more than she would get with a Jr Worlds win.

Kateri

void beast
Hmmmm... interesting decision. I'm guessing the WS points from her 4CCs finish are more than she would get with a Jr Worlds win.
You'd think she'd still want the shot at winning Jr Worlds. Seems like a weird choice, but ok. Glad Ahsun gets to go!

Jonas

Here's hoping Haein Lee tries the 3Axel at Triglav Trophy. Reportedly, she was going to try it at 4CC, but with an ISU Championship medal on the line it was probably the wiser decision to go clean!

Your thoughts...

gotoschool

Here's hoping Haein Lee tries the 3Axel at Triglav Trophy. Reportedly, she was going to try it at 4CC, but with an ISU Championship medal on the line it was probably the wiser decision to go clean!

Your thoughts...
Misread this post.

gotoschool

I haven't seen anyone post this breaking news but Ichatdelune posted the following information on goldenskate forum:
  • Yelim tested positive for Covid so Haein is going in her place to Worlds
  • In Haein's place Ahsun is going to JW
  • Sungmin (as in Jeon/Choi) has finally found a partner, her name is Sohn Gain(read: gah-in)
Really happy to see Haien Lee at Worlds but it is bittersweet since it would also be nice to see Yelim Kim and of course I am also looking forward to seeing Young You too. In regards to the triple axel, considering the challenges Young You has faced often sucessfully but sometimes not with the triple axel and the difficulties Haein Lee had with it earlier this season, I hope Haien Lee goes with what she feels most comfortable with and allows her to skate with the confidence and aesthetic beauty of her performances at 4CC's especially since she finished ahead of both Young You and Yelim Kim there. Young You and Haein Lee are two of my favorites, so I am really looking forward to their performances and hope they skate great but I will also miss Yellim Kim's performances and hope she gets better.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
@seabm7 posted yesterday in the 2022 Worlds forum that Haein Lee replaced Yelim Kim who “got a positive result from the test before the flight to France on the 19th.”

ETD: I read there was Seoyeong WI's birthday party a few days ago, and the world team members used Taeneung National Training Center in the same time slot. Fans are worried about Junhwan and Sihyeong. South Korea is in the midst of the omicron wave, but the government is relaxing social distancing regulations to open the economy to the full scale in a couple of months.

Young YOU should be OK, since she has arrived in France already.
Scroll up to post #433 for the Junior Worlds entries update (Ahsun Yun replacing Haein Lee).

ETA:
  • Sungmin (as in Jeon/Choi) has finally found a partner, her name is Sohn Gain(read: gah-in)
Thanks!

Last edited:

seabm7

Haein Lee, Junhwan Cha, and Sihyeong Lee took the flight to France just a few hours ago:

Also Judge (Kate) Youngkyung HAN got on the plane, according to her Insta Story.

seabm7

An article on Haein LEE:

Haein got the booster the day before the flight to France, so her team was worried about her condition. (The booster for her age group became availaible in South Korea quite recently.)

She has 3 more competitions planned until the end of the season, Class Championships in Korea, Egna Spring Trophy, and Triglav Trophy.

I think Haein is trying to test her 3A. Korean skaters missed most of B competitions during the 2021-2022 season due to the entry restrictions and slow vaccination schedule, where they could have tested new tricks. Haein tried 3A at GP France this season, which resulted in a disaster.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Really happy that South Korea earned 3 places for next years Worlds. However, I don't share the same optimism many do regarding the atmosphere of the competitions because the same kind of scoring manipulation and discrimination still exists and has been commented on beneath Haein Lee's and Young You's videos. In fact, it is even more extreme when it comes to the rigged underscoring of Haein Lee likely to try to prevent South Korea from getting three places.

My favorite women's LP performance at Worlds was Haein Lee's, yet it was ridiculously deflated down to 7th place in a statistical flashback to 2016 Worlds when my favorite LP by Mao Asada was also brazenly deflated down to 7th place. The lesson this presents to me is don't let manipulated scoring influence my decision on who I think gives the best performance. In fact, even a scoring comparison to the 4CC's strikingly reveals the scoring manipulation against her in terms of deflated tech and PCS, so that Haein Lee's LP performance that received 143.55 at the 4CC's got a 132 at Worlds and to me Haein's performance at Worlds is even a bit better because there seemed to more snap in her jumps. Haein also had graceful fluidity, smooth speed, beautiful flow, crisp and buttery smooth edging and dramatic expression with marvelous musicality with the most effective and surprising use of screams during her last jumps concluding with a beautiful double axel transitioning quickly out of her step sequence, which was finely attuned to the intricacies of the music with many rapid changes of direction movements and woven together so seamlessly like elegant embroidery in motion.

In terms of the SP, I believe Young You's greatly underscored performance was the best one for the women with a great combination of powerful movement through her jumps, aesthetically pleasing air position with beautiful whip saw motion in the air, a dramatic flair in expression, fine flexibility, impressive speed and rink coverage and she has improved a lot in the intricacy of her edging in the step sequences. As for Haein Lee's SP, she was obviously lowballed especially in PCS. Sorry to hear that Haein Lee appears to have been forced or strongly encouraged to get a booster so soon to embarking on the stress of an international flight the next day half way around the world and then forced to perform an SP so soon afterwards. This is likely the reason why she made the small mistake on the backend of her combo in her SP, though the rest of the performance was marvelous.

Looking forward to the possible opportunity of seeing Haein Lee, Young You and Yelim Kim all together at Worlds next season, especially since i did miss Yelim Kim's presence at the competition.

zigzig

Really happy that South Korea earned 3 places for next years Worlds. However, I don't share the same optimism many do regarding the atmosphere of the competitions because the same kind of scoring manipulation and discrimination still exists and has been commented on beneath Haein Lee's and Young You's videos. In fact, it is even more extreme when it comes to the rigged underscoring of Haein Lee likely to try to prevent South Korea from getting three places.

My favorite women's LP performance at Worlds was Haein Lee's, yet it was ridiculously deflated down to 7th place in a statistical flashback to 2016 Worlds when my favorite LP by Mao Asada was also brazenly deflated down to 7th place. The lesson this presents to me is don't let manipulated scoring influence my decision on who I think gives the best performance. In fact, even a scoring comparison to the 4CC's strikingly reveals the scoring manipulation against her in terms of deflated tech and PCS, so that Haein Lee's LP performance that received 143.55 at the 4CC's got a 132 at Worlds and to me Haein's performance at Worlds is even a bit better because there seemed to more snap in her jumps. Haein also had graceful fluidity, smooth speed, beautiful flow, crisp and buttery smooth edging and dramatic expression with marvelous musicality with the most effective and surprising use of screams during her last jumps concluding with a beautiful double axel transitioning quickly out of her step sequence, which was finely attuned to the intricacies of the music with many rapid changes of direction movements and woven together so seamlessly like elegant embroidery in motion.

In terms of the SP, I believe Young You's greatly underscored performance was the best one for the women with a great combination of powerful movement through her jumps, aesthetically pleasing air position with beautiful whip saw motion in the air, a dramatic flair in expression, fine flexibility, impressive speed and rink coverage and she has improved a lot in the intricacy of her edging in the step sequences. As for Haein Lee's SP, she was obviously lowballed especially in PCS. Sorry to hear that Haein Lee appears to have been forced or strongly encouraged to get a booster so soon to embarking on the stress of an international flight the next day half way around the world and then forced to perform an SP so soon afterwards. This is likely the reason why she made the small mistake on the backend of her combo in her SP, though the rest of the performance was marvelous.

Looking forward to the possible opportunity of seeing Haein Lee, Young You and Yelim Kim all together at Worlds next season, especially since i did miss Yelim Kim's presence at the competition.
yeah korean and to an extent japanese skaters are so super gipped - medalists not withstanding, the way that mana and wakaba were GRILLED on q's and <'s when someone like kurakova got a clean pass with positive goe on a clearly < or even << 3lz + 1e + 3f need to be addressed. I’m not ready to use the R word but in an age when we are examining subconscious bias it's definitely something that should be examined (along with the excessive q and < of vincent zhou). haters can flame away but I’m speaking my peace and y'all can ignore at your leisure.

seabm7

Yelim Kim has been added to the cast of an Evening with Champions for the Sunday show,

Marco

I don't understand Young You at all, I find her too rough and mechanical.

I do love Haein and am glad they together fought to gain that 3rd spot.

And what is with Korea forcing them to compete over and over?! It's a long season, let them rest already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information