U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

VGThuy

Jason just needs to head back to Canada. He may be the only one not exposed at this point (of course since he was in the Atlanta airport it is likely too late).
That doesn't sound like a bad plan. Maybe he can petition and be one of the few who haven't been possibly exposed at Nationals given the latest announcement.

Mayra

Jason just needs to head back to Canada. He may be the only one not exposed at this point (of course since he was in the Atlanta airport it is likely too late).
At this point we need to stop pretending that there was ever a question of who is going to the Olympics. Jason is going. Turn the car around and go home. Even assuming he gets to Nashville, after everything he's been through, he's probably not going to be skating his best and is going to rely on the selection criteria anyways.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
For Jason it's a bit different. Ilia could skate a barn-burner and take him out. Certain Jason fans will scream at me for even mentioning it (even though I'm a fan of his myself), but I'm not making it up. It could happen.
Ilia could beat him here, sure. But that doesn't negate the rest of the season. Jason scores well at senior events. The end.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Ilia could beat him here, sure. But that doesn't negate the rest of the season. Jason scores well at senior events. The end.
No argument about that, but it is true that Malinin likely has the means to beat Jason outright If he delivers. Jason was never in the picture for an Olympic medal with his TES, and he would likely be 3rd in line for the team event - in other words, not really needed there.

USFS already has two medal contenders in Chen and Zhou. If Malinin skates lights out and beats Jason, I think they would actually send him without too much of a debate. JMO, and of course, it's 'if'.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Jason is not in the same situation as Nathan, Vincent, K/F, Alysa, H/D or C/B. He is in Group 3 in the selection criteria. All it will take for Ilia to join him in Group 3 is a Top 3 finish at Nationals. So, yes, Jason does need to show up and compete. If not for the snow and knowing how it cripples the southeast generally, if I'd been stuck in Atlanta last night, I'd have not even bothered with trying to fly to Nashville this morning but instead rented a car. 250 miles is about a 4hr drive so it's entirely doable. And, frankly, I might have considered driving from Toronto - two adult drivers could have handled the trip in a day, after all of the insane flight cancellations in the past two weeks coupled with the crazy spread of the crud.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
No argument about that, but it is true that Malinin likely has the means to beat Jason outright If he delivers. Jason was never in the picture for an Olympic medal with his TES, and he would likely be 3rd in line for the team event - in other words, not really needed there.

USFS already has two medal contenders in Chen and Zhou. If Malinin skates lights out and beats Jason, I think they would actually send him without too much of a debate. JMO, and of course, it's 'if'.
Yeah. I don't disagree it could happen, I just don't think it's likely to? But then this may end up last man standing and negative in time so who even knows at this point.

Tavi

It’s really unfortunate that Jason’s flights were canceled but given that most competitors/spectators seem to have arrived in Nashville without nearly as much difficulty, I’m not sure he could / should have anticipated it and decided to drive from Toronto. Also, since Nashville and the rest of middle Tennessee were just hit with 8+ inches of snow, it’s unlikely that driving time /road conditions from Toronto would have been normal.

Trillian

Jason is not in the same situation as Nathan, Vincent, K/F, Alysa, H/D or C/B. He is in Group 3 in the selection criteria. All it will take for Ilia to join him in Group 3 is a Top 3 finish at Nationals. So, yes, Jason does need to show up and compete.

So in that scenario, Jason and Ilia are both group three. They have a skater who has been consistently top 10 in the world for years and made the GPF just this season versus a talented kid who blew the SP in his only senior international. I think some are underestimating how impressive Jason’s track record actually is. There are very few men in the world who can reliably score as high as he does every time out. Ilia has a ton of potential and may have a great showing, but there’s a reason the selection criteria includes more than just nationals. If he manages to place higher than 3rd, who knows. It’s possible.

At any rate, they won’t cancel the event and Jason will find a way to compete. At this point I’d be more concerned about who can test negative in a couple of weeks.

Carolla5501

If they can get here, Jason can take a page from Nathan and skate in a pair of black pants and a T-shirt. We love it just the same. I would be a nervous wreck at this point

His big problem is that snow that we experienced is still on Monteagle and he has to go over that 🙏

olympic

^ Probably YKW, and I'm only speculating, but know there is a good chance it's true. Evil little bastard this thing.

It's not a bad thing for Jason to be driving w/ one person instead of being on a plane full of people right at this moment in time.

Man, is this making me nuts!

I am experiencing a strange set of emotions - I am looking forward to watching but at the same time, scared and wanting it over. I don't trust my emotions if NC were to test positive.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Jason is in the house, and most importantly, so are his skates. Hersh was reporting Marla is going to get Jason his old costumes for both programs - and those costumes were quite lucky at Nationals for him so that should be good.

It would be just like Jason to serenely waltz onto the ice and lay down two beautiful skates after all this chaos. For all the people desperately wanting to throw him onto the trash heap in favour of the flavour of the month or someone with great instagram content, Jason has a great, consistent international record.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Jason is in the house, and most importantly, so are his skates. Hersh was reporting Marla is going to get Jason his old costumes for both programs - and those costumes were quite lucky at Nationals for him so that should be good.

It would be just like Jason to serenely waltz onto the ice and lay down two beautiful skates after all this chaos. For all the people desperately wanting to throw him onto the trash heap in favour of the flavour of the month or someone with great instagram content, Jason has a great, consistent international record.
Look, I'm not trying to throw Jason onto the trash heap for the "flavour of the month or someone with great IG content" - I mean, if that were the case, Jason would be the hands down winner after he shared that security cam video of him slipping off his back porch steps in the ice last month. What I have wanted, all season, are multiple contenders for the open spots, and while I appreciate Jason's international record, it's not the sort of record that should guarantee him a spot on the Olympic team before the skaters even take the ice at Nationals.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Everyone here knows that USFSA picks the team, right, not fans? There's no reason to get triggered if there are some fans that dare to suggest there's a scenario where your fave isn't on the team, since the only things determining the team are the skating here and USFSA selection. It's not American idol. There's no fan vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information