U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

jenny12

Returning to Rocketman is a great choice for Nathan. I thought he’d be fine anyway with his previous program but this will be more crowd pleasing (even if I hate that dorky hip hop section or whatever it is).

Sylvia

TBD

clairecloutier

A new interview with Jason Brown at Figure Skaters Online:

Before qualifying for the Grand Prix Final, Brown had intentions of competing at the final ISU Challenger Series event of the season at Golden Spin of Zagreb in Croatia. Even after qualifying for the Final, Brown was still listed on the roster for Golden Spin and could have competed at the event which was held Dec.8-11, the same time as when the Grand Prix Final was to occur. However, after discussions with his coach Tracy Wilson, Brown chose not to compete in Croatia and selected to spend the extra time in Toronto, preparing for Nationals.

“It was a tough decision,” Brown explained, noting that after the Final was cancelled, he did consider going to Croatia. “The more we thought about it – we were like, ‘We are four weeks out from the U.S. Championships. We made it this far safely.’ So we kind of made the decision that I was going to stay back.”

aml78

while I liked Rocketman and La Boheme I am not sure these really stand up to a clean Hanyu. I also have to imagine Nathan is pretty disappointed to be repeating programs. I liked the Mozart and I think with the right finesse could have really brought down the house.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
while I liked Rocketman and La Boheme I am not sure these really stand up to a clean Hanyu. I also have to imagine Nathan is pretty disappointed to be repeating programs. I liked the Mozart and I think with the right finesse could have really brought down the house.
Why not? If he does a flip and lutz combo his jumps are more difficult, and I think his La Boheme fw is just as good as Hanyu. I realize that won't be a popular opinion on twitter, but Nathan really has beautiful bladework and movement throughout in the send-off video.

I'll wait to see Hanyu's and Nathan's long to make a decision there.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Why not? If he does a flip and lutz combo his jumps are more difficult, and I think his La Boheme fw is just as good as Hanyu. I realize that won't be a popular opinion on twitter, but Nathan really has beautiful bladework and movement throughout in the send-off video.

I think that La Boheme can absolutely compete with Hanyu's SP this season. They are different types of music - Hanyu's is very traditional classical music and it's a gorgeous program, but Nathan's is just as elegant and exquisite in its own, French musical standard fashion. I'm excited to see what La Boheme looks like skated full out at Nationals (he left out the 3A during the Great Parks send-off show).

I agree about waiting to see Hanyu's FS and Nathan's, most likely, re-worked Rocketman before making any judgments.

Spun Silver

There's also the little fact of their history in head to head competition since the last Olympics. Hanyu is superhuman but can make mistakes and be beatable. (We'll see how he does Sunday.) Nathan is superhuman, makes few mistakes and is all but unbeatable. Knock on wood.

How amazing it would be if Hanyu three-peated though!!

olympic

I think there is a lot saber-rattling in Camp Yuzu as it relates to the 4A talk. Camp Nathan knows strategy and will modify / skate accordingly. Also, Nathan isn't one to be fazed by great skates from Yuzu: Just look at the past few seasons when Nathan had to delay his program because the ice was littered with Pooh-Bears. He would go out and kill it, anyway.

Now, he may want to revisit the idea of 6 quads in the LP and maximize the SP for assurances: Even with a poor skate at SA, he nailed the 4L in the LP. It can be done. Cancellation of the GPF might in the long run be good for his body; fewer aches and pains by February and March, 2022

I made my feelings knows. I don't dislike the EJ program and it would still bring down the house with maximized content, but I would've either revisited the Woodkid or Phillip Glass programs, even the Polovetsian Dance LP or a retooled Mozart program, seriously, before going back to EJ.

Bottom line - I'm not concerned w/ regard to Nathan or his state of mind / choices, or what Yuzu throws out there. Nathan can deal. He has shown it time and again.

ETA - I do wonder if the fact that RUS women throwing out quads including 4z combos and 4Ls lingers in his mind at all, sometimes in Rippon style.

Last edited:

DreamSkates

I distinctly remember coach Raf making a comment about adding something new for the Grand Prix Final event. Which likely means the plan is to have higher tech content than made public so far. Hard for anyone to catch up last minute.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I distinctly remember coach Raf making a comment about adding something new for the Grand Prix Final event. Which likely means the plan is to have higher tech content than made public so far. Hard for anyone to catch up last minute.
Well, he did a 4F and a 4Z-3T in the La Boheme program last week for the Great Parks send off, so that's one certain spot where he's adding higher tech content.

mtnskater

Funny, Rocketman is one of my favorite long programs of all the programs Nathan has done. And I’m usually a classical music fan and was hoping he’d skate to classical music for the Olympics. But Rocketman has such a cool vibe and Nathan does “cool” really well too. I think Rocketman is so well choreographed with great music cuts and the footwork sequence is groundbreaking and epic. Still I’d love to see what he’s done with the Mozart program rework.

Willin

Just watching the first group of the Junior Men's competition makes it seem like the US has a lot of really talented men in the pipeline. Will Annis looks great, Jacob Sanchez is just 14 but it's clear he has plenty of height for a 3A/quads in the future, and Maxim Zharkov is solid. Even Philip Baker and Taira Shinohara laid down good skates and they're hardly the favorites. And that's just Group 1. While the US Ladies are struggling, the US men seem to be doing really well both in the current Senior competitors and the Juniors.

ETA: Kai Kovar, Beck Strommer, and more... The US really has an embarrassment of riches in Junior Men. Hopefully they keep developing them. None of the men here seem bad. Maybe a couple steps from the top, but none are so far they have no hope of eventually getting competitive internationally.

Last edited:

Stephanie

Not sure where to put this, but does still USFS plan to have a junior world selection camp for singles? Given the c*** situation I'm not sure this is the best idea and they might be better off protecting the athletes and choosing the team based and nationals and fall international results (when needed).

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
Jason is having flight problems and is not yet in Nashville. He has rented that he expects to arrive around midday on Friday. I can't figure out how to paste the link on my new tablet.

Latest from Hersh - Jason is still in travel hell
1 / Latest chapter in
@jasonbskates
odyssey, from his mother: his flight today from Atlanta to Nashville cancelled, so rather than wait and risk another cancellation, he and coach Tracy Wilson are driving the 250 miles. He has skates but bags with his costumes currently in limbo

Tavi

Yikes. If I recall, Jason almost didn’t make it to 2014 Nats either - can’t find article now, but pretty sure his car spun out on a snowy Colorado road on the way to the airport. He did make it in 2014, though, and hopefully he’ll make it this time, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information