U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Polina has Andrew Torgashev on her podcast today for an update on his injury and lots more great conversation:

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ I recommend listening to Torgashev's podcast episode - lots of interesting info.

Andrew's sole competition this season was Glacier Falls (late July 2021 when he was able to land all of his triples through Lutz) -- he recounted how his right foot injury flared up again after he went into new boots and forced him off the ice at end of August and that he has not jumped at all since then. At the beginning of December (when he taped this podcast with Polina), he was doing 2 sessions daily of just skating skills with non-impact/weight-bearing (on his foot) training off the ice.

He intends to keep competing :cheer: and concluded the podcast with: "I'm going to do everything in my power to have a successful rest of my career. And I hope that it can be enough to have people remember my name after I retire & what I was doing on the ice. That, ideally, is the ultimate goal for me. It's just work & persistence."

Fingers crossed he will be able to have a successful comeback starting in 2022-23! :)

ETA - ICYMI, previously posted fan cam of Torgashev's Flamenco SP at Glacier Falls on 7/30/21: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnsyikYkeZs

Last edited:

Tavi

^^^ I recommend listening to Torgashev's podcast episode - lots of interesting info.

Andrew's sole competition this season was Glacier Falls (late July 2021 when he was able to land all of his triples through Lutz) -- he recounted how his right foot injury flared up again after he went into new boots and forced him off the ice at end of August and that he has not jumped at all since then. At the beginning of December (when he taped this podcast with Polina), he was doing 2 sessions daily of just skating skills with non-impact/weight-bearing (on his foot) training off the ice.

He intends to keep competing :cheer: and concluded the podcast with: "I'm going to do everything in my power to have a successful rest of my career. And I hope that it can be enough to have people remember my name after I retire & what I was doing on the ice. That, ideally, is the ultimate goal for me. It's just work & persistence."

Fingers crossed he will be able to have a successful comeback starting in 2022-23! :)

ETA - ICYMI, previously posted fan cam of Torgashev's Flamenco SP at Glacier Falls on 7/30/21: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnsyikYkeZs
I really enjoyed this interview - I think Polina did a great job and I was so impressed by Andrew’s thoughtfulness and maturity. Really looking forward to his return!

Sylvia

TBD
Congrats to Yaroslav Paniot! https://www.instagram.com/p/CXh8eYcrd7A/
GOALS:
In 2015 I set out on a journey to become a citizen of the United States, my home for the last 10 years. I have a successfully completed that process and I am happy to say I am a U.S. Citizen!
🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
I look forward to pursuing my goals as a TEAM USA skater, and I am so honored to represent the United States of America in my pursuit to return to the Olympics as a proud AMERICAN! See you on the ice!!

Sylvia

TBD
I came across the first of NBC Olympics' figure skater profiles to be published on their website (Dec. 8) - "As part of our preparation for the 2022 Winter Games, NBC Olympics sent questionnaires to multiple athletes to learn more about their lives both inside and outside of sports. Here’s what we found out about Zhou":

ETA - here's a 4Lz practice clip Vincent shared yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXeUJripr8w/

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from Jason's fan thread:
Twitter Spaces Live audio recording with Jason, Meryl, Elladj & Nick McCarvel from yesterday [Dec. 13] - Jason had some really fun/funny as well as thoughtful/revealing (about his mindset 4 years ago) moments: https://twitter.com/Olympics/status/1470530505401643011
"Read on to see some of Jason's answers [transcribed from the Twitter Space live chat] below, as well. His responses have been edited for clarity and length."

SkateFanBerlin

I came across the first of NBC Olympics' figure skater profiles to be published on their website (Dec. 8) - "As part of our preparation for the 2022 Winter Games, NBC Olympics sent questionnaires to multiple athletes to learn more about their lives both inside and outside of sports. Here’s what we found out about Zhou":

ETA - here's a 4Lz practice clip Vincent shared yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXeUJripr8w/
It was great to see an American interview where the skater actually said something. His struggles with depression and his sleepless nights sound real. Thanks for sharing.

mackiecat

As an athlete he's currently exempt from the travel restrictions in Canada - he doesn't even have to be vaccinated.
This is not true. Currently all vacillated travellers with a negative PCR test do not have to quarantin. Previously, even if vaccinate, with a negative test, there was still a 10 day quarantine ( removed in early July?)
The athletes at Skate Canada were treated differently as they were in a secure bubble and not out in the general population.

skatingguy

decently
This is not true. Currently all vacillated travellers with a negative PCR test do not have to quarantin. Previously, even if vaccinate, with a negative test, there was still a 10 day quarantine ( removed in early July?)
The athletes at Skate Canada were treated differently as they were in a secure bubble and not out in the general population.
Athletes were given an exemption to the vaccination rules when they were announced in September, and that exemption will be removed on Jan 15, 2022.

mackiecat

Athletes were given an exemption to the vaccination rules when they were announced in September, and that exemption will be removed on Jan 15, 2022.

That was for NHL, NBA and MLB coming into Canada to play a game. They were restricted to the arena and team hotel only and needed to pass a PCR test. This is similar to the rule for Skate Canada International. It wasn’t for people training here.

Sylvia

TBD
Phil Hersh's article, published just now:
They are the short program to Charles Aznavour’s version of “La Bohème” and the free skate to an Elton John medley that Chen used in the 2019-20 season, which ended prematurely when the onset of the Covid pandemic forced cancellation of the 2020 World Championships in Montreal.
Chen was to revisit them for the first time competitively at this season’s Grand Prix Final two weeks ago, but it was cancelled because of complications related to the new Covid variant. So the revival now is likely to come at the 2022 U.S. Championships, in which Chen will seek a sixth straight title in a men’s competition that begins Jan. 8.
Chen said “probably” when asked in a Monday media Zoom call if he would use the 2019-20 programs at nationals.
ETA: https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1473100767171170305
“My future is still pretty undecided right now– whether I want to continue or I don’t is still very much up in the air. I’m looking forward to going back to school in August. In this current moment, I’m still enjoying what I’m doing.”

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Phil Hersh's article:
It's an improvement for sure (I was totally on-board dropping both programs this year from the start) but I really wish he'd repeat his 2021 free skate. I know Rocket Man has a fun choreographic sequence at the end and maybe Nathan feels better with that program, but Glass was much better IMO.

sk9tingfan

It's an improvement for sure (I was totally on-board dropping both programs this year from the start) but I really wish he'd repeat his 2021 free skate. I know Rocket Man has a fun choreographic sequence at the end and maybe Nathan feels better with that program, but Glass was much better IMO.
I agree with you. That free skate is a masterpiece, but not recognizable by the public. It's really too bad because skaters and devoted fans/commentators were all in rhapsodies over the Glass program.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
YES YES YES!!! La Boheme is my favorite Nathan SP, and Rocket Man LP (especially the ending choreographic sequence) is a definite Olympic moment. Potential to go viral with millions of 4-year casual fans watching!
Same! 🤩 I AM sad though about his Mozart program because it's a masterpiece imo, and I've grown to love it. Also, Nathan had mentioned that he was saving Requiem for the Olympics. He must be so disappointed that some fans just didn't 'get' it. Perhaps, if Heaven willing he medals at the Olympics, he can perform to Requiem as his exhibition program?

olympic

Eh. The Elton John LP is my least fave in comparison to his 2019 and 2021 programs. I think he could use the Philip Glass program and it would still be fresh because it hasn't been performed in front of a real international audience

Tahuu

Yes to Rocketman! Its energy will entertain and appeal to the Olympic audience better than the beauty and sophistication of Philip Glass. Additionally Nathan didn’t achieve all level 4 with his Rocketman at the 2019 GPF, didn’t get to perform it with his new costume at the canceled 2020 Worlds.

I am also excited at his la Bohème SP. A 4F, 3A // 4Lz3T layout is close to the maximal short program difficulty under the current rules.

The bottom line is he can improve on both programs despite they were his personal bests.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information