#TeamTrainwreck 23: Perky through the ages!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeschke

Highlights of O.:

• Mark! Stunner in practice, warm-up and competition. He owned that ****ing arena. I was a big fan already, but I am close to uber now!
  • Mark/Jirenbaev bromance
  • Sokolovskaya. I like her Tsareva moments at boards, but she seems so encouraging and connected to her kids! Awesome!
  • Romsky! Had no clue I am that invested. So good seeing him live.
  • Huth and kids. Same as Sokolovskaya. Seems to have great connection to his students. Good to see him thrilling Isaev doing her cardio at practice rink (seeing he is really pushing them - which not always seemed that clear from comeptition skates alone).
  • :gallopin1 boys all through!
  • Freak-Cheer-Trio. Seriously, that RUS dude, king! :rofl: Cheering like hell, watching JGP simultaneously on phone.
  • Turkkila/Versluis FD. That's some beauty! :love:

:( highlights:
  • TUR boys. I really hoped here they could make it somehow (on their own and not counting on SWE NOC, which is not a given regarding Majorov age; I think his chances are better than Josefin's)
  • Yanovskaya. That was really sad to watch her afterwards. It was quite a road for her - I am not sure how long she'll hang on.
  • German fed. Men singles and ladies singles is a mess right now, let's face it. Schott the only one somehow standing strong (with content she skated years ago in JGP)

Final words best described with résumé of bf after watching 9 dance couples:
'Well, that's some crazy freaky world' :rofl:

Vagabond

🇬🇪 official even rocks casual hoodie look!
The Press Office has confirmed that she has a name and even a job title.
Maka-Mariam Giorgobiani
President of Georgian Figure Skating Federation

Here's an interview with her (in Georgian): https://sputnik-georgia.com/20170721/maka-giorgobiani-236719539.html

J

Jeschke

Look who's back :love:
TM1 and TM2 in same event. It's almost like back in the days!

Last edited by a moderator:

Elisheba

Miming with Medvedeva
I have an ignorant question because #ttw posters know all: didn’t Maria Talalaikina swotch to Italy? Why didn’t Italy send her to Nebelhorn instead of Gutmann?

J

Jeschke

I have an ignorant question because #ttw posters know all: didn’t Maria Talalaikina swotch to Italy? Why didn’t Italy send her to Nebelhorn instead of Gutmann?
She seems to be in ITA but no word on official release so far.

Vagabond

It's extremely doubtful that she could gain citizenship on any kind of an expedited basis, let alone in time for Beijin. It made sense to have Gutmann earn what would most likely be her own spot.

Colonel Green

It made sense to have Gutmann earn what would most likely be her own spot.
I don't think that would make sense -- if you have a skater who is more likely to earn the spot, you send them.

Reports suggested a while ago that Talalaikina hasn't actually be released by RusFed, she is just trying to switch anyway. So the most likely explanation for why Italy didn't send her is that they can't.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It's extremely doubtful that she could gain citizenship on any kind of an expedited basis, let alone in time for Beijin. It made sense to have Gutmann earn what would most likely be her own spot.
But that's not the way qualification works: the spot is earned for the country, not the skater. A release is the only issue, since there are no timing issues based on when she last represented Russia.

You'd think a Fed would want to ensure that they're sending the most capable skater to try to earn the spot within their published rules (if they have them). But, clearly, Cyprus didn't send their current best in Ladies, although they might have had an internal rule/deadline of their own, or felt they would lose a skater if they stripped away the opportunity. Plus, there's always the issue of internal politics.

J

Jeschke

Even with my love for Talalaikina, I wouldn't have send her.
She had one international, 4yrs ago in a junior event.
And Gutmann has decent level.

Colonel Green

But, clearly, Cyprus didn't send their current best in Ladies, although they might have had an internal rule/deadline of their own, or felt they would lose a skater if they stripped away the opportunity.
Given the short interval between ACI and Nebelhorn, by that point they conceivably felt it was too late to make a switch.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I said, "most likely." Gutmann will most likely be the skater sent to Beijing if a spot opens up. She is the best woman Italy has at the moment, and Talalaikina is unlikely to become eligible between now and then.
Yes. But that doesn't mean it made sense that she was chosen to compete at Nebelhorn. It was one choice.

Hanna

Skating junkie
It made sense to have Gutmann earn what would most likely be her own spot.
This reminds me, whatever happened to Tornaghi who was the Italian no. 1 just a couple of years ago?

Also, where's Loena??? Why is she not entered for anything? Please don't tell me she's injured again. :fragile:

I am assuming someone in this thread will know. :p

Laney

Back from Oberstdorf :)
Overall: it was sooo good to see some live skating again! :cheer2:
Skipped the first two groups of the ladies, but regret it now. Wanted to take a walk in the beautiful nature but it was so crowed it was no fun.
I feel for Italy and Gutmann. But one can say that the competitions were fair and well judged. Low marks for everybody. (I can´t speak for ice dance as I´m no expert). Sometimes the level was very low, the first groups of ladies and men were kinda painful to watch. (For an Olympic qualifying event.)You have to admire skaters with only double jumps thinking they can earn a spot for the Olympics... So much self considence must be nice to have.
Highlights for me were wellknownJesus, Romsky :cheer: , Vlad :smokin:, Alyssa Liu and the hot Georgians :swoon:
Funniest thing was the victory ceremony ladies when the cover of the big trophy Alyssa got, fall of the podium. She and Kurakova giggled so hard that Kurakova nearly fall of the podium herself. :rofl: I don´t get why the federation doesn´t get rid of the big trophy because that happens nearly every year and the skater have too much to handle with the small trophy, the big one and the flowers...
And as I know you´re courious what horrible gift the skaters got after the exhibition this year I have to dissapoint you - NONE :wuzrobbed Maybe they want the skaters to be lulled in a false sense of security so hopefully next year more skaters will join the competition just to give them next year something even worse than the green aprons, the bavarian hats...
No off to get some well needed sleep :)

Vagabond

Yes. But that doesn't mean it made sense that she was chosen to compete at Nebelhorn. It was one choice.
Assuming that there was a choice (i.e., that Talalaikina had already been released), one could argue that either of the possible choices (sending Talalaikina or sending Gutmann) made sense. To my way of thinking, it makes sense to have the skater who could actually go (Gutmann) try to earn the spot. If she couldn't earn it herself, then neither she nor any other skater who could actually represent Italy in Beijing should be gifted the spot. I would say that this is especially so given that there is a good chance that Talalaikina may not gain Italian citizenship while she is still actively competing. It ordinarily takes someone ten years of residency even to be eligible for Italian citizenship.

Having said all that and having done a little bit of looking on line, I have my doubts as to whether Talalaikina even stands a chance of getting the release.

Ранее Коган сообщил, что федерация не согласилась на переход в сборную Италии Марии Талалайкиной.
Google translation:
Earlier, Kogan said that the federation did not agree to the transfer of Maria Talalaikina to the Italian national team.
Does that mean that the RSFSF might still agree to the transfer or that it has rejected the request?

RoseRed

Finally got a chance to watch the FDs I missed when my Dad called me in the middle. I haven't had time until this evening because I went to a trebuchet party right after Nebelhorn finished. So final recaps:

Nebelhorn Women
Polish/Russian sunshine girl - picked a good day to actually rotate+land all her jumps. So happy for her, lovely reaction :cheer2:
Belarusian/Russian girl - don't care that much about her skating to be honest, but she definitely deserves it. Glad she made it
Alexia - programs are boring, but she landed the jumps
Shabotova (Ukrainian/Russian girl) - really impressed she got it done after how she did at the JGP (30+ points more)
Josefin - she's going to need a lot more for the Swedish Olympic Committee to send her unfortunately
Kailani - yeah, don't like the program at all. But glad she made it. So much better than Cranberry. Now get a new FS please
Gutmann - at least Italy is in the team event (but probably they'll get Sweden's spot anyways)
Cyprus - it was probably too close to change, but other Cyprus girl's score from Autumn Classic would have got a spot easily... :slinkaway

Nebelhorn Dance
Stream - :gallopin1
Finns - pretty costumes, otherwise who knows? Good for them to qualify and get the win here
German #1 - not feeling the program, better than the cancer dance though I guess
Jon Snow and partner - the beginning and end are really cool, not feeling the whole thing but it has potential, glad they were ready in time to make it
Czech sibs - @Colonel Green calling them Sharpay and Ryan made me imagine a High School Musical program for them, and the whole time during the FD I was just thinking how much I'd prefer that to what they did. I'll also accept a Cersei and Jaime program, if they want to go darker. Glad they made it though
Armenians - no idea, thanks stream
Hungary - I just find them generic
Koreans - the big smiles while Anna Hathaway sob-sings are almost as tragic as that lift.
Israelis - don't think I've ever watched this team before here, but I actually liked both programs mostly, shame about the spin (though they wouldn't have made it anyways, and I'm happy with the teams who did)
Aussie (+Canadian) - hopefully they make it in 4 years, when he might actually get citizenship in time (I hope)
Kiwi (+Canadian) - the FD is not great, but I really like their RD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information