Eric Radford and Vanessa James to compete in pairs together for Canada

Xsktrx

There aren't enough of these - :rolleyes: on the planet for this statement. If you can find even a single post on here that discusses Meagan as if "she walks on water" then please go ahead and post it otherwise it might be helpful to stop lurching from extreme to extreme in this discussion.
I must have missed the memo where this thread went from “opinions” to “facts only” so consider my “walks on water” opinion swapped for “huge fan”. Love the emoji......

Eladola

But I have no intention of supporting a team comprised of a spineless coward and an supporter of a sexual abuser, so.
This comment demonstrates the worst of social media right now (And I don't even have to take sides),

Entitled, Hollier than thou ,Manipulative
and devalues human beings into a single action or sentence they said or done.

I take it you've stood in tight clothes in front of Olympic audiences and performed
like Eric has that you would call him a spineless coward?

Or handled a close friend or family member being charged very publicly with
a heinous crime like Vanessa has to?

Maybe reconsider 🤷‍♂️

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
No. Her comments about Anna Shcherbakova were wrong. She was body shaming little Anna, who is a CHILD. So she's a misogynist, and well, a total asshole. To see Dave and Jon going with her bs is predictable. Needless to say in the skating world there are MANY who support Eric. Me-again has a reputation for being, well, what you see. Horrid personality. With a loud mouth. And a persecution, narcissistic complex. Perfect for TSL. And some of you on this board.

Somebody needs to be speaking up for Eteri's students because her training and guidance is very destructive her young skaters' bodies. And if you're worried about people attacking children, nobody has attacked Eteri's students on social media more viciously than Eteri herself.

Megan is a nutritionist and both trained and certified with credentials. She graduated from Concordia, University in Montreal. As for your judgements about Megan, I find that when people insult others, they are reflecting back what they dislike about themselves. You call Megan a "horrid person, with a loud mouth" while insulting and denigrating her. Reading your post, these comments would seem to be an accurate reflection of YOU, not Megan.

Peepsquick

Are you suggesting that Eric Radford should not have used basic professional courtesy when breaking off his partnership with Duhamel, with whom he was planning show work? Yes or no answer, please.
I think, it is more the concept of "passing judgment" that is the issue here. Are we meant to pass judgment as fans of figure skating? This is between M. and E. and this, in a nutshell, is why I think that any real conversation should have happened between the two interested people. Public shaming is a very old and imo nasty tool and it usually snowballs into all kind of nastiness.

starrynight

Megan is a nutritionist and both trained and certified with credentials.

I think Meagan is a person of many sides. Sure she's an intense person who is loose on social networks, but she's got a lot of good things to contribute the sport too.

I have read lots of her blog posts and her views on sports nutrition are excellent. Especially her views on counting nutrition, instead of calories and her understanding that proper nutrition is vital for the repair of bodies after training and the prevention of injury.

I think Meagan's sports diet views are so important for the sport because she is all about how a strict performance diet doesn't automatically equal starvation or limiting of nutritional benefit. And she promotes athletic strength in ladies in skating.

And these views are so important in a situation where there are elite athletes in the sport who think drinking water will make you fat. Like literally at the Olympics rinsing their mouths out with water to relieve thirst instead of drinking to hydrate.

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
One of the reasons why she and Eric were able to keep improving, was Duhamel's deep understanding of IJS.

In every Kiss & Cry, she would literally break down what they did element for element, knowing what they needed to do in order to maximise their potential.

That girl was a machine like Irina Rodnina in her heyday.
In this latest interview she actually says Eric was the same, if not more. He just didn't do it in the K&C. She mentioned examples of how he would breakdown the protocols to figure out what they should be doing to get more points.

eta....Just an aside but I hate how the board holds onto things you typed earlier but decided not to post ( doesn't delete properly). I can't even remember what I just removed was about, only that I didn't notice it soon enough :lol:

Last edited:

muffinplus

Somebody needs to be speaking up for Eteri's students because her training and guidance is very destructive her young skaters' bodies. And if you're worried about people attacking children, nobody has attacked Eteri's students on social media more viciously than Eteri herself.

Her being a nutritionist has no relevance and doesn't mean her not so "subtle" body shaming was OK. She also has no expertise to speak of what is going in that camp. It's just as ignorant to assume someone being thin means they are on a starvation diet, and Anna has actually clearly filled out in the last year or so, so that doesn't even apply. I don't know of any Eteri students who "look" unhealthy at this point. Anyways, that's really for another thread, but her comments were not okay

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
For those who also follow the royals threads, it's fun to read all the posts here about Meagan as though they're about Meghan. You just need to sub Oprah for TSL and you're off and running.

:watch:
I think you've been asked not to bring that up. That thread was closed for a reason.

Excidra

Megs came across as another Megs in the news whining about her lot in life. She is "woke" only to her narcissistic feelings. I mean, seriously, it seems rather obvious why Eric kept this quiet. Professional shows were gone. Vanessa James is an amazing pair skater. Olympics only a year away. Megs is raising a newborn. Why would he make an announcement while he was trying to see if the new pairing would work out? And then to see if Vanessa could represent Canada. Megs has always lacked class. Of course Eric would keep his distance
No. Her comments about Anna Shcherbakova were wrong. She was body shaming little Anna, who is a CHILD. So she's a misogynist, and well, a total asshole. To see Dave and Jon going with her bs is predictable. Needless to say in the skating world there are MANY who support Eric. Me-again has a reputation for being, well, what you see. Horrid personality. With a loud mouth. And a persecution, narcissistic complex. Perfect for TSL. And some of you on this board.

I am not judging you but you woke up and chose violence. 😂😂

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
In this latest interview she actually says Eric was the same, if not more. He just didn't do it in the K&C. She mentioned examples of how he would breakdown the protocols to figure out what they should be doing to get more points.
It's basic professionalism. You work under the certain rules, once you have done your work and got your marks you see what you can change under the given rules. I find it shocking when the skaters don't bother with the rules (Patrick Chan who learned the combo he did was illegal during the press conference; Kiira Korpi who learned her planned content was illegal etc). Duhamel/Radford never stroke me as people who are unable to read/comprehend/follow the rules.

screech

The thing that bugs me about Meagan making comments about Anna's body, is that any time someone critiqued D/R, Meagan would complain that people were attacking her body (even if the criticism in no way was about her physique), and how her body was something she couldn't change. A bit hypocritical, if you ask me...

I definitely feel for Meagan being blindsided, and understand that she's hurt and upset, however I don't think she's handling it the best way. However, neither did Eric.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I have read lots of her blog posts and her views on sports nutrition are excellent. Especially her views on counting nutrition, instead of calories and her understanding that proper nutrition is vital for the repair of bodies after training and the prevention of injury.

I think Meagan's sports diet views are so important for the sport because she is all about how a strict performance diet doesn't automatically equal starvation or limiting of nutritional benefit. And she promotes athletic strength in ladies in skating.
It's slightly off topic, but I actually think this is really important. Meagan trained at the highest level of skating for most of her life, was in pairs (arguably the most dangerous and intense discipline), doing quads, in her 30s, and never had a major injury (that we know of). She obviously knows how to fuel and take care of her body.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
It's because she's clearly accomplished in the areas of nutrition and fitness that her remarks on Anna were disappointing. Whatever valid concerns could have been presented better.

Cachoo

I really don't know how Radford thought he was going to come out of this smelling like roses if Duhamel was the last person to know. There's no way to slice that that makes Radford look good. She should have been the first to know, not the last.
I'm trying to put myself in her tiny skates and I would feel like I've just been fired from my job that I've worked at for years. I do give her leeway to vent about that. But of course partners change all of the time in figure skating. ITA about Radford's decisions regarding informing M.

Erin

Banned Member
It's slightly off topic, but I actually think this is really important. Meagan trained at the highest level of skating for most of her life, was in pairs (arguably the most dangerous and intense discipline), doing quads, in her 30s, and never had a major injury (that we know of). She obviously knows how to fuel and take care of her body.

I generally agree with you, although Meagan did have a foot injury during the last couple of years of her career - that's why they switched from doing the triple toe to the triple salchow, because it was too painful for her to use the toe pick on the triple toe. I remember when Eric was injured in Helsinki in 2017 and couldn't do the triple lutz, they had to replace it with the triple toe, and he was very complimentary of Meagan making that change for him because he knew how painful it was for her to do the triple toe.

Meagan's body was also pretty banged up during the last year she skated with Craig Buntin. I think she had both a back injury and a foot injury, although this does kind of go to your point of her knowing how to take care of her body. She has commented in articles that she was really just barely hanging on at that point and her body was falling apart, so after that, she spent a lot of time learning how to take care of herself better. The injuries she had that year were kind of like her origin story of her healthy lifestyle mantra. I don't necessarily personally agree with all of her methods, but it appears that they have mostly worked for her (foot injury aside) and I think that there are pieces that other people can take from it and adapt for themselves.

Last edited:

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
So she's the Tom Brady of figure skating from a nutrition standpoint?

pat c

It's because she's clearly accomplished in the areas of nutrition and fitness that her remarks on Anna were disappointing. Whatever valid concerns could have been presented better.
Probably she could have, but it is a human failing. ;)
So she's the Tom Brady of figure skating from a nutrition standpoint?
Who? Ok I looked it up, football. Different sport, different nutrition and fitness requirements I'd guess.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Who? Ok I looked it up, football. Different sport, different nutrition and fitness requirements I'd guess.
Tom Brady has some decidedly unorthodox views on nutrition and eating about which he is bordering on messianic. He also markets his own supplements and AFAIK has no formal training in nutrition.

The only similarity is the evangelism for their respective beliefs.

BittyBug

Disgusted
I looked up where Duhamel's nutrition qualifications come from and the schools sound decidedly quackery.
Really?

Mind you, much of what is taught about nutrition at least in the U.S. (I know you're in IRE) is the result of lobbying by the agricultural industry, including the much flawed food pyramid. We might all be better off if traditional norms about nutrition were challenged, especially considering the environmental damage caused by much of the worlds' food habits.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Well, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. In the US, it's unregulated in most states, and easier than becoming an "ordained" minister to preside of weddings. (No idea how this works in Canada.)

There's a reason she's using the term nutritionist and not dietitian. One is a real profession with regulation and oversight while the other is practiced by those who push Veganism onto pets and babies.

pat c

The Canadian School Of Natural Nutrition is the largest provider of holistic nutrition education with 14 provincially-licensed classroom locations across Canada, plus Online Distance Education (see separate listing in “Top Online Holistic Nutrition Certifications” below). They are focused on providing their students and graduates with practical career tools that they can use to succeed in their professional career. They also emphasize student support networks and services with their Alumni Association.

Their program in natural nutrition includes 18 holistic nutrition courses (with 1/3 of them being science courses), real-life case studies, and a final board exam available in a part-time (2 year), a full-time (1 year), or an accelerated learning (<1 year) format. The program requires approximately 1200 hours to complete (including self-study time).

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Tom Brady has some decidedly unorthodox views on nutrition and eating about which he is bordering on messianic. He also markets his own supplements and AFAIK has no formal training in nutrition.

The only similarity is the evangelism for their respective beliefs.
My association of the two of them was meant to be a general one. I like your use of the word "evangelism".

BittyBug

Disgusted
I'm going off every doctor I know who tells me never to trust someone who calls themselves a nutritionist.
Did every doctor you've ever known also tell you that nutritionists push veganism on pets and babies?

U.S. medical education is notoriously lax on nutrition (https://www.tmc.edu/news/2019/09/food-for-thought-medical-schools-lack-nutrition-education/) so I would not look to the average medical doctor for advice on nutrition, or who is qualified to give advice on nutrition.

As for nutritionists being qucks, here's a link for you to The Marino Center, which is part of Beth Israel, one of the leading hospitals in the U.S and associated with Harvard Medical School. Note that their counselor has a BS in Nutrition. Not a Dietician.

Erin

Banned Member
Well, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. In the US, it's unregulated in most states, and easier than becoming an "ordained" minister to preside of weddings. (No idea how this works in Canada.)

There's a reason she's using the term nutritionist and not dietitian. One is a real profession with regulation and oversight while the other is practiced by those who push Veganism onto pets and babies.

While I think we are veering pretty far off topic, I just want to point out that you're using US standards, which don't always apply in Canada. In this specific case, Duhamel lives in Ontario, where nutritionist is not a protected title, but it is one in Alberta, Quebec, and Nova Scotia. This was something that can be googled in two seconds.

MsZem

I see the sea
As for nutritionists being qucks, here's a link for you to The Marino Center, which is part of Beth Israel, one of the leading hospitals in the U.S and associated with Harvard Medical School. Note that their counselor has a BS in Nutrition. Not a Dietician.

She is listed as licensed and registered dietitian-nutritionist, Susan Carroll, RDN, LDN - is that who you meant? Affiliated with a hospital that is affiliated with HMS doesn't really say that much.

I don't think Duhamel's expertise should be belittled, and I agree that MDs don't necessarily know much about nutrition. But Duhamel's qualifications are more limited, I would imagine, than someone of Ms. Carroll's background.

Anyway, Duhamel's health and fitness are in themselves testament to her knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information