Eric Radford and Vanessa James to compete in pairs together for Canada

jao86

the fix is in
jao86, is that you? Seems like just the other day you said:

To which Jammers astutely said.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Uhhhhh, no? I don't need an alt. I stand by what I say. I pay for my membership on this site and have been a member for 8 years. WTF?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I never thought that someone winning a medal at Worlds means you have to love them and think they are the greater thing ever. Or heard anyone say that. There are plenty of Worlds where all the medalists make mistakes and don't skate up to par. It's a sport and sometimes you win ugly.

The accomplishment is that you took showed up, took advantage of the situation, and did enough to win. Not everyone can do this which is why all the people in 4-20 place didn't medal instead.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
I am thrilled to see Vanessa and Eric win bronze here, and if we're honest, it should have been a silver.

Their long program was by far the best they've ever skated, particularly in terms of performance and presentation. My only qualm was how mismatched they were looks-wise at this event. Vanessa is smoking hot, rocking the unitard, agile as ever, and looks like she is 25, not 34. But Eric looked rather creaky at times and kind of like Gay Grandpa out there with that grey hair. I think the grey was enhanced under the arena lights because off the ice his hair didn't look that grey. But the dichotomy in Vanessa and Eric's looks is distracting.

By the way I am a gay of a certain age, so I am allowed to say "Gay Grandpa".

Last edited:

Japanfan

But they still have the medals and the ISU isn't going to mark the results with an asterisk. You can only compete against the teams that finish the competition.

Exactly.

I hate the term 'accidental' when it comes to medals. Urmy has been called the 'accidental' OC, which bothers me a lot.

According to @hanca's logic, all the medals would be accidental.

You might same the same for ladies 1-2, as well.

manhn

Because we don’t know the SP doesn’t exist? M&K didn’t exactly set the SP on fire. I personally think their LP score should have been lower for R&J to overcome the deficit. We get it—other people disagree.

Enough with the “the SP exists for a reason” argument as if other posters didn’t realize skaters do more than one program.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I would have liked nothing more than Miura/Kihara to win gold at Worlds, but if I'm being honest myself, I, too had thought they didn't do enough to go ahead of James/Radford even with the lift not being added until after the program. I know others in the PBP thread felt the same way.

So yeah, people can still be honest about how they felt, know damn well that the SP 'exists', and think there maybe was a little gift there.

ETA- since I love stats. In the scope of just knowing there was a 5.04 point advantage for M/K going into the long, FRA, CZE, USA, NED, and ITA, 5 of 9 on the panel, put enough distance between the two teams in the LP that J/R would have passed them. This isn't an unpopular opinion.

Last edited:

Excidra

M&K had a good season; therefore, the silver medal from worlds was a consolation prize. J/R should've received the silver medal; however, what they produced during the season didn't help their case. Either way, they earned a well-deserved medal

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So yeah, people can still be honest about how they felt, know damn well that the SP 'exists', and think there maybe was a little gift there.
And people can be honest with themselves and not think there was a little gift there.

tony

And people can be honest with themselves and not think there was a little gift there.
You specifically said people were ignoring their SP score. I pointed out that over half of the LP panel gave scores with a wide enough range that they also thought J/R should've come away with silver.

So no, one doesn't have to ignore anything about the SP to still think J/R fairly deserved silver.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
You specifically said people were ignoring their SP score.
I didn't say people. I responded to a particular poster and said they were ignoring the SP.

I can see I have struck a nerve here so I will try to make myself clearer and then I'm out.

Stating your opinion as fact and then saying people who don't agree with you aren't being honest is a dick move. There are many reasonable reasons to agree with the results of the Pairs event, one of which is their poor performance in the SP.

You don't agree and that's perfectly fine with me. I'm not going to insult your character because we disagree.

tony

I didn't say people. I responded to a particular poster and said they were ignoring the SP.
I'll clear up my own words and then move on as well. The second time you replied with this same story regarding the results and needing to consider the SP, you said:
To quote the OP, "if we're being honest," some people definitely forget about it.
So those 'some people' would refer to whom? Any people that forgot their 'crappy SP' existed would be my conclusion. Certainly not limited to the original poster. I was talking off-site with @thvu before the marks came up and I was pretty sure M/K had lost their medal, too. So I would be part of 'some people' and hence why I replied.
Stating your opinion as fact and then saying people who don't agree with you aren't being honest is a dick move. There are many reasonable reasons to agree with the results of the Pairs event, one of which is their poor performance in the SP.
Yes, but you're the one who doubled down on saying you could agree with the result if you forgot about the SP- that sounds like stating an opinion as fact. The only fact I pointed out was that no, more than half of the judging panel also believed J/R did enough to be second best.
You don't agree and that's perfectly fine with me. I'm not going to insult your character because we disagree.
I don't think any character is being insulted?

Anyways, let's see if the medal gives them the motivation to go another competitive season.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't think any character is being insulted?
I find being called dishonest to be insulting. 🤷‍♀️

So those 'some people' would refer to whom?
I was thinking more of casual fans who only saw the FS because they watched broadcasts that didn't show all SPs. It's a common problem with how skating was shown in the US for decades but having live streaming of everything has helped a lot.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

... :) my impression has been that Meagan started her calculations even before getting in the K&C...!! she did so while still on the ice, at the end of their performance... If honestly, this utter rationality took away from me any enjoyment to watch D/R skating.

I was happy Eric and Vanessa paired up though the age certainly is a factor for them. I strongly believe if J/R would have had an experienced and wise coach and appropriate choreography they would be great, eventually.
Agreed. It's like taking someone to a movie you really like, and instead of them given you their opinion afterwards, they talk about how much money the film has made.

I know that is how D/R strategised and mapped their progress. But doing so really took away any magic from their actual skating.

Excidra

If J/R stay on for another season, I hope they go to a new coach. I would love to see what Savchenko could do for them.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

If J/R stay on for another season, I hope they go to a new coach. I would love to see what Savchenko could do for them.
They were lucky to win bronze with such a shaky evening of free skating from everyone. I think they should cash in on their success and turn pro while they can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information