Eric Radford and Vanessa James to compete in pairs together for Canada

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Duhamel goes all facts facts facts and then comes Lease with his twits where he claims Savchenko wrote in her book things that are not there. I can only imagine what 'facts' TSL will be 'quoting' in a couple of months,especially if Duhamel ceases being their BFF. The skaters really should be more picky about who they talk to and the media they prefer to represent them....

Meagan said quite clearly that Dave and Jonathan are not her BFFs; what more does she need to do to show they are not.:confused:

I dislike Eteri, (ETA: I should say I dislike what I have read of her coaching methods. I don't care one way or the other about her personally, and I don't follow the ladies, so my reactions are based solely on what I read :) ) but I do not think that journalists/bloggists/whoever who interview or quote her frequently are her BFFs. Or are they?

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
But during the interview he said he spoke to Aliona twice and she confirmed. Meagan also said she was aware of 2014 (years after the fact) and 2019.
So far Lease twitted it's written in Savchenko's book and it's a lie. Now he claims Savchenko told him that. Could very well be, but I tend to take all Lease's `facts' with a grain of salt.

Erin

Banned Member
Yeah, I found that interesting too since Vanessa isn't a US citizen and couldn't become one on short notice.
She has a green card and I assume she has had it long enough that she probably could become a US citizen relatively quickly, depending when the tryout was. (Although obviously CV has been slowing things down.)

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Ironic comment given the personal invective in your post. I wonder if we even watched the same interview? Duhamel was surprisingly unemotional, fair, and even generous when discussing Radford.
Yes, "He is not an evil person" is being oh so generous. lol. Maybe I'm still sore from what she said a couple of weeks ago about Anna Scherbakova where she attacked a CHILD. She said she could barely watch her because she was super skinny. Body-shaming, much, Megs? Of course she tried to change her narrative and said "It was due to Covid that I said that!!!!" BS. Anyone who saw that interview knew exactly that she was body-shaming a CHILD. She's not the one to jump on board with. She nasty, and I suppose also a misogynist? A total "Mean Girl".

Last edited:

BittyBug

Disgusted
So far Lease twitted it's written in Savchenko's book and it's a lie. Now he claims Savchenko told him that. Could very well be, but I tend to take all Lease's `facts' with a grain of salt.
As @tony notes, Duhamel independently verified the issue when she said that she was told by her coaching team (much after the fact) that they had in fact discussed a possible pairing.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Meagan said quite clearly that Dave and Jonathan are not her BFFs; what more does she need to do to show they are not.:confused:
I think people already have their ideas of Duhamel finalized and don't want to hear anything else. She LOVES to talk about skating and always has, she pulls random tidbits of info out from competitions that happened 15 years ago, she follows all of the skaters and can rattle off the exact programs they performed at any given competition, she knows the levels, etc. When I asked her to be on my short-lived outlet, she gladly joined myself and PJ Kwong to recap a Grand Prix Final and I think I actually asked her either same-day or maybe the night before. I wouldn't say her appearing as a guest commentator means anything, and actually, some of Dave's biggest sources are skaters/people in the sport that are well-liked by FSU. She didn't even know about her partnership falling apart and supposedly she's a wealth of insider info these days? :lol:

olympic

No: according to the Olympic Charter she will need an exception by the IOC to compete for Canada, since she competed at a championship for another country (France) within three years of the Olympics. (By about a month.) I've read here that both the Canadian and French Olympic Committees have to agree as well.

Her release allows her to compete in any ISU event.
Thanks for the clarification. I think though that CAN wanting another top pairs team and FRA already releasing her will probably mean that the committees will agree per the IOC directive. IDK how hard it is to get an exception from the IOC, though.

@Sylvia unless I am a fan or it's outrageous, I don't really spend the time on posted videos because for me, it's not going to be indicative of what they can do in competition.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Let me put it differently: I think the World and Olympic champion Duhamel should be more picky about the media she chooses to pass her messages. I don't think TSL are journalists/serious media/something the World and Olympic champion should be associated with. Now Meagan a figure skating fan and a girl next door - sure, why not. I tend to think of Duhamel as Duhamel, the World and Olympic champion, not Meagan who comes to gossip with Lease and Bayer in their show. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Sylvia

TBD
@Sylvia unless I am a fan or it's outrageous, I don't really spend the time on posted videos because for me, it's not going to be indicative of what they can do in competition.
Understood. I will say that the quality of their 3twist in the practice clip was what made me think that they had been training together longer than since March (when the CBC Sports article said "the duo officially began practising as a team").

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Let me put it differently: I think the World and Olympic champion Duhamel should be more picky about the media she chooses to pass her messages. I don't think TSL are journalists/serious media/something the World and Olympic champion should be associated with. Now Meagan a figure skating fan and a girl next door - sure, why not. I tend to think of Duhamel as Duhamel, the World and Olympic champion, not Meagan who comes to gossip with Lease and Bayer in their show. Perhaps I'm wrong.
After Lease burned a ton of bridges early on (shortly after he was actually credentialed to stuff!), I really don't think any skaters (past or present) would be the wisest to associate with him. However, after a down period, he's come back with some big names for recaps and interviews, and he has some huge numbers on social media. This is the first time I've given any of his videos more than 5 minutes listen (actually edit- I watched the Michelle Kwan interview), because usually it is just unnecessary complaining and digs at any and everyone in the sport. Seeing how professional and well-done some of the content can be, it drives me crazy that there's the other Perez Hilton-esque side as we saw in his Tweet storm the other day. But remember, that's the kind of outlet he came from before joining up with Jenny.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
There is also some history behind Trankov's beef with Duhamel which is pretty tame, and she explains how Russian skaters are often asked about competitors below them/how they feel about other skaters, which is not something she's ever experienced with North American media while she was competing.
Trankov did say in an interview after Sochi that "skaters" believed MT/M (v1) to be superior to D/R, and they couldn't understand why Skate Canada was backing D/R over them. I wouldn't call that tame, but it wasn't said about me.

As @tony notes, Duhamel independently verified the issue when she said that she was told by her coaching team (much after the fact) that they had in fact discussed a possible pairing.
And it made a lot of sense: they would have known each other while Radford was training with Rachel Kirkland part-time with Steuer, and, presumably, would have been taught the same technique. I don't know if Radford used the same technique with Duhamel, but if Savchenko was looking at the high twist Massot was doing, which was in the book excerpt TAHbKA translated, she might have dismissed Radford out of hand.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
After Lease burned a ton of bridges early on (shortly after he was actually credentialed to stuff!), I really don't think any skaters (past or present) would be the wisest to associate with him. However, after a down period, he's come back with some big names for recaps and interviews, and he has some huge numbers on social media. This is the first time I've given any of his videos more than 5 minutes listen (actually edit- I watched the Michelle Kwan interview), because usually it is just unnecessary complaining and digs at any and everyone in the sport. Seeing how professional and well-done some of the content can be, it drives me crazy that there's the other Perez Hilton-esque side as we saw in his Tweet storm the other day. But remember, that's the kind of outlet he came from before joining up with Jenny.
I didn't watch much of TSL, but my impression is that the decent content came when the skaters who are well spoken made an appearance. For example Duhamel or Wagner don't need an interviewer - give them a mic and let them speak. Both are SO well spoken, SO good in passing putting their thoughts/feelings into the words and hardly even use the `it's like you know'. The most Lease and Bayer had to do is not to interrupt, sit with the smart face and nod. If that's what is considered a good journalist work now-a-days, well, then... damn, it's a low bar

Bigbird

Figure skating and ballet are very brutal environments especially if you don't have a certain exterior or physique that comes from a fair mixture of genetics and hard work. There is always someone more beautiful and thinner and with better lines or longer legs. The ratio of boys to girls doesn't favor the fairer sex. In all aspects where a girl skates with a boy there is almost always that deep seated fear that you can be passed up for another with few exemptions. Read Betina Popova's experiences and there are many others. I've read that in some instances it toughens up women and therefore they're encouraged to expand their portfolios and always ensure that they have other options. So when something like this happens no matter how it cuts you deep to the core. We cannot tell how a person will react. That being said I haven't had the heart to watch the video or read anything past her first comment. It's just a hard raw place. Not many know how to handle the situation with grace so what can you do. She's gained a great deal working with Eric. Hopefully soon enough she'll chin up and take this all in stride. She's got her hardware J/R are going after it and they only have a few wee months to do it. I'm sure Stolbova would be like, "Yeah, good luck with that". LOL.

Tavi

If you think about it, there aren’t that many figure skating podcasts these days, so what better shows should she appear on?

She said she goes on TSL because she loves talking about skating. And when she’s on they don’t gossip, they talk skating. She also said that although she may not always agree with something Dave or Jonathan say, that’s okay because they are all different people with different opinions.

Regarding TSL, they have actually done some really great work - mainly their interviews, but also whenever they have a knowledgeable guest on (ie the four 2021 Worlds recaps), because they take those shows quite seriously and are very well prepared (not 100% sure but I think Dave did study journalism). They have also done some great shows about abuse in figure skating and gymnastics. By comparison, the more gossipy recaps can be really annoying, overly long, and hard to listen to. It seems like those are done without much preparation; they lack any real structure, so they often devolve into gossipy messes. I’m not sure if it’s a deliberate choice or if they just don’t realize it, but it’s really too bad.

skatfan

I think since James/Radford got to go on That Skating Show this week, it was good for Meagan to be interviewed. You go with who calls you.
TSL does good interviews, whatever else one might think of their channel.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Not appear on their vlog so regularly? :shuffle:

Did you watch the interview to see her (to my mind) cogent explanation of why she appears on TSL? And how much interaction she has with Dave and Jonathan outside of TSL?

I get that Dave and Jonathan are easy to rag on for their opinions, and I have done it myself. But their interviews are surprisingly (to me) good. With good questions. I learn from the skaters.

That is all I can ask.

BittyBug

Disgusted
I have not historically been a fan of TSL, but recently they've had excellent interviews - Elena Bechke, Todd Eldredge, and yes, Meagan Duhamel. When they have accomplished skaters on the show the discussion is more technically focused with little to no gossip, and I've found the conversation quite interesting.

skylark

I guess I am just musing but "if" Vanessa and Eric make the progress they hope for, if they are chosen to represent Canada and if nothing hinders the holding of the Olympics it would seem to be quite a different experience for Eric. In Korea he was with Canada's dream team, old friends who came up the ranks together with age and experience on their side. They were aiming for the top prize in the team event and Eric and Meagan for an individual medal. The team and the individual skaters did better than even hoped. Four years later it is a very different landscape. He is much older than most of the skaters. Obviously, he feels it is worth it to go for it even if the results may not be what he experienced before.
Eric has specifically stated he's not primarily going for the results.

skylark

Someone said they might consider watching/listening to TSL interviews. I don't know if they were being facetious or not -- but if anyone is interested, I can highly recommend beginning with the following:

with 1) Rudy Galindo, and

2) Caitlin Yankowskas

They're excellent, the subjects of the interview are inspiring, and they're highly appropriate to the current conversation.

anonymoose_au

Did you watch the interview to see her (to my mind) cogent explanation of why she appears on TSL?
I haven't and I won't, because to me it doesn't matter how "good" TSL is at interviews. They are cruel, toxic bullies and I see no reason to give them a pass.

Did they give Liza Tuk a "pass" when they called her fat? When they trashed Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov (I believe Meagan herself joined in on that party)? When they accused Sergei Rozanov (without a lick of evidence) of dating Aliona? Or when they say the most horrible things about skaters and then interview them later like they're best friends while all the sneering and bitching about them and having a good old laugh with their fans about it?

And honestly I find it hypocritical as Hell that people who are the first to "cancel" skaters for some random comment in the heat of the moment are perfectly happy to listen to those two.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I really don't know how Radford thought he was going to come out of this smelling like roses if Duhamel was the last person to know. There's no way to slice that that makes Radford look good. She should have been the first to know, not the last.

Japanfan

Yes, "He is not an evil person" is being oh so generous. lol. Maybe I'm still sore from what she said a couple of weeks ago about Anna Scherbakova where she attacked a CHILD. She said she could barely watch her because she was super skinny. Body-shaming, much, Megs? Of course she tried to change her narrative and said "It was due to ********* that I said that!!!!" BS. Anyone who saw that interview knew exactly that she was body-shaming a CHILD. She's not the one to jump on board with. She nasty, and I suppose also a misogynist? A total "Mean Girl".

I don't know exactly what Duhamel said, but will point out that she is very concerned with nutrition and fitness. She's studied nutrition and SFAIK, has acquired certain credentials.

Could it be that she is just concerned about girls being healthy, while participating in a sport where eating disorders are common? Like so many other people?

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I really don't know how Radford thought he was going to come out of this smelling like roses if Duhamel was the last person to know. There's no way to slice that that makes Radford look good. She should have been the first to know, not the last.
Because Me-again is only about herself and how her selfish narcissism would react that she's been replaced??? We saw it. She is still a Mean Girl. Really an obnoxious person. It killed me seeing both Dave and Jon kissing up to her. Oh puhlease. Well, they at least got her on their tabloid show for clicks, so it worked. You all were suckered. Lets' support the new team James/Radford. At least Vanessa will have lines, and can create PCS that Me-again could never do.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Because Me-again is only about herself and how her selfish narcissism would react that she's been replaced??? We saw it. She is still a Mean Girl. Really an obnoxious person. It killed me seeing both Dave and Jon kissing up to her. Oh puhlease. Well, they at least got her on their tabloid show for clicks, so it worked. You all were suckered. Lets' support the new team James/Radford. At least Vanessa will have lines, and can create PCS that Me-again could never do.
I mean, if I had any inclination at all to support James/Radford, you being a total wanker wouldn't be doing much to further that inclination.

But I have no intention of supporting a team comprised of a spineless coward and an supporter of a sexual abuser, so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information