Eric Radford and Vanessa James to compete in pairs together for Canada

puglover

I guess I am just musing but "if" Vanessa and Eric make the progress they hope for, if they are chosen to represent Canada and if nothing hinders the holding of the Olympics it would seem to be quite a different experience for Eric. In Korea he was with Canada's dream team, old friends who came up the ranks together with age and experience on their side. They were aiming for the top prize in the team event and Eric and Meagan for an individual medal. The team and the individual skaters did better than even hoped. Four years later it is a very different landscape. He is much older than most of the skaters. Obviously, he feels it is worth it to go for it even if the results may not be what he experienced before.

Japanfan

Most skating fans/observers have read about how much work it was for them to achieve "pairness" and have observed her approach to skating in what she's written, her quotes, and her behavior in Kiss 'n Cry, and who would blame him for wanting a different partnership in which he found more ease and simpatico, particularly at his age and life circumstances?

He's certainly entitled to pursue a different relationship. However, IMO Meagan was the driving force of the two. If Eric hadn't had the success he did with Meagan, he wouldn't be skating with Vanessa.

I don't really feel either is entirely in the right or in the wrong, as there are two sides to the story. Just hope that Megan can move on with her life and be happy.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
general ≠ universal
principle ≠ rule
general principle ≠ universal rule

The General and the Universal

Principles vs. Rules

Principle vs Rule - What's the difference?

Take, for example, this:

As a general principle, how the victim feels should take precedence. As a general principle, a female pairs skater whose partner sent sexts to two girls, how those girls feel should take precedence and govern how that skater conducts herself. It is not, however, as you suggest, a universal rule. Where, for example, the female pairs skater has been instructed by her counsel, law enforcement, or her federation to conduct herself in a certain way or where the pairs skater is herself a victim of abuse at the hands of her partner, there is an exception to the general rule, namely that her own concerns take precedence. Hence, there is no universal rule.

I am sure that you mean well, Wyliefan, but your black-and-white view of how other people should conduct themselves does a disservice to victims and to the legal process.
Man, it really is the off-season!

VICK B.

I would love a quick summary because I stopped reading around page 17. Have I missed anything important that I should go back to?

I meet Meagen many years ago, she had a tough personality but friendly to me... I always wondered how they got along... I guess it is just business and not really friends...

Xsktrx

I’m in my bedroom with wine and candles, waiting to see if someone is going to pay attention to me. So if I could get the Coles Notes on this from you later, that would be great, thanks. :shuffle:
Here is the Coles notes version. Eric decided to return to competition/shows with Vanessa. Meagan publicly declared she was hurt. This thread has gone off in 25 different directions and the goal is 1000 posts. And finally Vanessa and Eric will skate to lots of cheers from the fans, a few silent boos and won’t care about any of this by then. And only Meagan’s most diehard fans will still be thinking about her when the new pair takes the ice. Cold but true.

anonymoose_au

You're not using twitter in a good way.
I actually have a positive experience on FS twitter. I only follow reliable accounts and I don't engage with the fringy people.
Follow your friends and people you trust. Ignore the others.
I can't seem to find them though. I follow people who seem normal and then suddenly they'll tweet something like "I know we all hate Victoria and Katsalapov" and I'm like "Noooo?" Or Yuzu comes second (justifiably) and they go off.

I have better luck finding like minded persons on Instagram TBH, but even then I'll be following along happily and suddenly get a nasty surprise 😱

happycamper2554

I can't seem to find them though. I follow people who seem normal and then suddenly they'll tweet something like "I know we all hate Victoria and Katsalapov" and I'm like "Noooo?" Or Yuzu comes second (justifiably) and they go off.

I have better luck finding like minded persons on Instagram TBH, but even then I'll be following along happily and suddenly get a nasty surprise 😱
You'll have a hard time finding twitter support for Nikita. But there is a lot of Vika support, especially in the V/M hardcore anti P/C crowd. It's enough for me to enjoy. Sometimes you just have to be on an island.

PeterG

I guess I am just musing but "if" Vanessa and Eric make the progress they hope for, if they are chosen to represent Canada and if nothing hinders the holding of the Olympics it would seem to be quite a different experience for Eric. In Korea he was with Canada's dream team, old friends who came up the ranks together with age and experience on their side. They were aiming for the top prize in the team event and Eric and Meagan for an individual medal. The team and the individual skaters did better than even hoped. Four years later it is a very different landscape. He is much older than most of the skaters. Obviously, he feels it is worth it to go for it even if the results may not be what he experienced before.

If I had the chance to compete in an Olympics knowing that I was guaranteed to come in dead last, I would grab that opportunity with as much of a steel grip as I could muster.

But then I'm also the kind of person who would honestly mean it if I ever was lucky enough to say, "it was an honour just to be nominated".

:)

Foolhardy Ham Lint

If I had the chance to compete in an Olympics knowing that I was guaranteed to come in dead last, I would grab that opportunity with as much of a steel grip as I could muster.

But then I'm also the kind of person who would honestly mean it if I ever was lucky enough to say, "it was an honour just to be nominated".

:)
I once came fourth in an egg and spoon race. Only because I knew people who knew people who knew Jeff Gilloolly.

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
Actually, their interviews are generally very good - respectful and obviously well prepared with good questions - rather than snarky or gossipy.
I’ve never been a podcast/online interview watchee for anything.

For some reason that format doesn’t capture or hold my attention (not sure why) so I stopped trying.

I’m open to have my mind changed by TSL.

Bigbird

What will they skate to this season though? We haven't even begun to think about that? What if they turn out to be Canada's version of Stolbova and that other guy? So all this emoting and extreme vexation would have been for nothing? Sigh.

Peepsquick

Many Olympians, well the vast majority go through major self-searching when they retire. Who are they apart from an athlete training 6 hours a day and having their mind focussed on their goal 24/24? Depression, wandering around redefining yourself as someone else than a skater... Not easy.
Add C.... to that and your world may just fall apart!

Last edited:

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
What will they skate to this season though? We haven't even begun to think about that? What if they turn out to be Canada's version of Stolbova and that other guy? So all this emoting and extreme vexation would have been for nothing? Sigh.
'That other guy' = Andreï Novoselov ;)

mjb52

Stolbova/Novoselov were my absolute dream team:(
I can't remember, did they ever even do a competition? In a weird way, they had the bad luck to coincide with the rise of a bunch of strong young teams, so that it may have felt like they weren't "needed."

Excidra

This team representing Canads will certainly put the pressure on KMT and MM, who have had several seasons to cement themselves as leaders in Canada. Their inconsistency and small jumps will certainly be outclassed if Radford and James can quickly gain consistency and and be able to do the big tricks. Vanessa has wanted to land a quad salchow for sometime now and I think it might happen with Eric.

Two spots for Canada for the Olympics means it will be a dog fight for those two positions. One team will be coached by the brother and the other team by the sister. Let the games begin.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I can't remember, did they ever even do a competition? In a weird way, they had the bad luck to coincide with the rise of a bunch of strong young teams, so that it may have felt like they weren't "needed."

They came 5th at the Russian GP in a very weak field, then he got injured before Nationals and they were never seen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information