Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
I think it's great we have so many possibilities! :D

We can speculate/argue to death for the next several months -- and I know we will! ;) -- but, in the end, the lady who should be sent to Nebelhorn HOPEFULLY will have demonstrated the necessary consistency and readiness in competition settings and/or monitoring by summer's end to "do the job" that's needed.

natsulian

Something to liven up the thread, let's talk about potential (or dream) layouts for our ladies.

Starting with Karen, I think her layout should be:

2A3T
3Lo
3F
3S
2A3T(x)
3Lz2T2Lo(x)
3Lz(x)

If she can nail this layout without any under-rotations, her base value (assuming all Level 4's) sits at roughly 62.63 points. Additionally, if she can get +3s and +4s (apart from the triple-Flip) across the board, her TES can climb to 77-79 and paired with 70-72 PCS, Karen can score approximately 147-151 internationally in the Free. As for her Short, I think Karen's ceiling is 74-76, so that gives her a total score of 221-227 which would put her in contention for multiple Grand Prix and Challenger medals alongside a 4CC medal, Top 6 finish at Worlds, and maybe Top 6 finish at the Olympics. This is, of course, with the mindset and belief that Karen is going to consistently and cleanly deliver.

If Karen adds the triple-Axel to her repertoire, the story becomes totally different and is contingent upon how consistent she is. With a rotated triple-Axel that earns positive GOE, her Short program's ceiling becomes much, much higher at around 79-82 and her free can reach 160.

Thoughts?

VGThuy

I don't think we'll see her with a 3A. I think Amber Glenn will be the only American lady with Alyssa Liu (depending on where she is) who will have one by the time 2022 Nationals comes around. Glenn's may not be consistent but at least she's shown she can land one in competition. Now, the question with her is if we'll see 2021-Nationals Glenn or if we'll see the Glenn most people know. Karen, I think, can maximize her jump layout the way natsulian posted and keep working on those rotations. They're actually getting better with the callers. If she just show the judges she can be consistent, she'll give them the green light to keep rewarding her with GOE and PCS. If she can do all of that (and stop doing a level 3 spin or two in the LP), she can be a high 140s in the LP or even a 150s skater (if the judges go crazy with scores all-around) and making her a spoiler if other people make multiple major mistakes in either or both the SP and LP. I think that's the most realistic plan for Chen and within her power.

One question is if she should keep her Butterfly Lovers LP for another season for the Olympics in Beijing or try to get a new one. I actually think she can skate that program even better. It could be her "Otonal".

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I don't think we'll see her with a 3A. I think Amber Glenn will be the only American lady with Alyssa Liu (depending on where she is) who will have one by the time 2022 Nationals comes around. Glenn's may not be consistent but at least she's shown she can land one in competition. Now, the question with her is if we'll see 2021-Nationals Glenn or if we'll see the Glenn most people know. Karen, I think, can maximize her jump layout the way natsulian posted and keep working on those rotations. They're actually getting better with the callers. If she just show the judges she can be consistent, she'll give them the green light to keep rewarding her with GOE and PCS. If she can do all of that, she can be a high 140s in the LP or even a 150s skater (if the judges go crazy with scores all-around) and making her a spoiler if other people make multiple major mistakes in either or both the SP and LP. I think that's the most realistic plan for Chen and within her power.

One question is if she should keep her Butterfly Lovers LP for another season for the Olympics in Beijing or try to get a new one. I actually think she can skate that program even better. It could be her "Otonal".
I think she should keep her Butterfly Lovers LP too. It's an absolutely exquisite program and I'm not sure she can top it choreographically, plus she has some areas in which she can improve it and really max out the scoring potential.

olympic

I think she should keep her Butterfly Lovers LP too. It's an absolutely exquisite program and I'm not sure she can top it choreographically, plus she has some areas in which she can improve it and really max out the scoring potential.
I always think of Lulu's extremely emotional performance though, which takes something away from it for me, but that's just me. Karen does the music justice.

Spiralgraph

^^^ I think of Lu Chen's program too, but that happened in 1998, almost 24 years ago. Most casual fans, (maybe even ardent fans) don't remember what skaters did five years ago, never mind 5 Olympic cycles ago. If Karen wants to keep Butterfly lovers she should. It's a lovely progam and if she improves her technical content, it will be even better.

olympic

^^^ I think of Lu Chen's program too, but that happened in 1998, almost 24 years ago. Most casual fans, (maybe even ardent fans) don't remember what skaters did five years ago, never mind 5 Olympic cycles ago. If Karen wants to keep Butterfly lovers she should. It's a lovely progam and if she improves her technical content, it will be even better.
Totally agree that it's fine for Karen. I could listen to the music forever.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I think its too risky to send Starr. If she misses the 3toe/3toe in the short and doesn't show a 3 lutz, we might lose the spot. I would send Liu or Bell. Glenn is too much like Bobek (could win, but could also finish last).
Agreed. Have any of the summer 2021 club competitions been announced, to proceed either in-person or virtually?

Sylvia

TBD
Starr announced her FS music today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNKeehFp2lB/
I thought it was cool seeing Starr's national commercial during Worlds :): https://www.instagram.com/p/CNDQldPFCzP/
Aaron Mendez shared a 2-minute behind-the-scenes feature of filming with Starr on the ice (at Lakewood Ice?): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNHJOTvBWSm/
Ride along as I try to survive slipping around the ice with the super talented Starr Andrews for a @guaranteedrate spot. Starr was so great to collaborate with, willing to try new things and just a pleasure to work with.
Her latest promo photo for Guaranteed Rate: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNIZZj2FgT_/

melanieg

USFS has updated its ISP list:

Starr Andrews
Mariah Bell
Karen Chen
Elsa Cheng
Amber Glenn
Gracie Gold
Hanna Harrell
Finley Hawk
Tamnhi Huynh
Rena Ikenishi
Gabriella Izzo
Mia Kalin
Pooja Kalyan
Isabeau Levito
Jessica Lin
Alysa Liu
Heidi Munger
Emilia Murdock
Paige Rydberg
Clare Seo
Audrey Shin
Kanon Smith
Bradie Tennell
Lindsay Thorngren
Violeta Ushakova
Sierra Venetta
Kate Wang
Emily Zhang
Adele Zheng
Ava Ziegler

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks! I believe these are the new additions:
Mia Kalin
Heidi Munger
Emilia Murdock
Kanon Smith
Ava Ziegler
Mia, who turned 13 in February, is now ISU Junior age-eligible for 2021-22 and she recently shared a footwork clip from her new SP (from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite): https://www.instagram.com/p/CNLERj1HyM7/

Kanon, who will turn 13 later this month, is the 2021 U.S. Junior silver medalist and Ava, who turned 15 in February, is the Junior pewter medalist.

Last edited:

Debbie S

I checked about a week ago and no Philly posted on the USFS website or on the Ice Works website. In the past, Ice Works always had a "save the date" posting.
The USFS qual season announcement said that Collegiate Nats would be held in conjunction with the Philly comp (as it was 2 years ago) so I assume the Philly comp will be taking place. Dates are last week in July.

Not one of the major comps (at least, not for FS), but Chesapeake Open (Laurel, MD) will be held Aug 4-8, barring a major turn of events (in a bad direction).

Sylvia

TBD
Broadmoor Open is currently scheduled for June 27-July 3, 2021. My latest hearsay info is that Skate Detroit and Glacier Falls are being planned for this summer as well. I plan to start a 2021 U.S. Club Competitions info thread in the Kiss & Cry section after more info becomes available.

Courtney Hicks, who was listed in the 2020-21 ISP, spoke about her surgery in January to repair a hip labrum tear after the 26-minute mark of Polina Edmunds' March 23rd podcast (she didn't submit a FS video for Nationals virtual qualifying due to her injury and hopes to be back on the ice this month):

ETA that Hicks and Ting Cui are not listed currently but they and others will have the opportunity to re-qualify in the future.

Last edited:

Vagabond

I guess Thursday was April fools? I’ve been away from the boards with an injury.

Can someone help me out, did USFSA select ladies for Japan open?
Nope. The Japan Open isn't for ages yet. And, AFAIK, the Japanese Federation makes the selections. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information