Russian Athletes Will Be Allowed To Participate in 2021 and 2022 Olympics and World Championships

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
GENEVA (AP) — Russia was banned Thursday from using its name, flag and anthem at the next two Olympics or at any world championships for the next two years.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport’s ruling also blocked Russia from bidding to host major sporting events for two years.

Russian athletes and teams will still be allowed to compete at next year’s Tokyo Olympics and the 2022 Winter Games in Beijing, as well as world championships including the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, if they are not implicated in doping or covering up positive tests.

caseyedwards

All throughout the Cold War and after it was understood that when sports is state controlled that they wouldn’t punish the country or athletes for what the politicians were doing. But now that rule only applies to China. Also with massive “state sponsored” doping programs. It’s not state sponsored. All people in sports are in the government. So what’s going on here with russia? Because it’s not communist sports should not be state controlled anymore. It should all be separated! Why? Of course everyone in Russian sports is in the government but that doesn’t mean the state does all the cheating- the official position WRT China but not russia

Vagabond

Questions that do not appear to have been answered:

1. What constitutes a "major event"? (In particular, is Cup of Russian a "major event"?)
2. Can Russians field teams for the Olympic Team Event or non-Olympic team competitions such as the World Team Trophy?
3. Will the rules about determining the number of entries apply to Russian at the Olympics and ISU Championships apply to these flagless Russians? If, for example, Worlds is held this season and 3A's sweep the podium, will Russia have three entries in the Ladies events at next season's Olympics and Worlds?

Last edited:

caseyedwards

1. What constitutes a "major event"? (In particular, is Cup of Russian a "major event"?)
2. Can Russians field teams for the Olympic Team Event or non-Olympic team competitions such as the World Team Trophy?
3. Will the rules about determining the number of entries apply to Russian at the Olympics and ISU Championships apply to these flagless Russians? If, for example, Worlds is held this season and 3A's sweep the podium, will Russia have three entries in the Ladies events at next season's Olympics and Worlds?
Last time it was “olympic athlete form Russia”- they weren’t denying the existence of Russia. They used to it to classify.

It’s so stupid! Why are they doing this? It doesn’t make any sense anymore. Russia is being very clear- it will not abolish the state-sport links. So ioc is saying until you abolish all state-sport links anyone who is found to be doping will be seen as having been doped by the government

caseyedwards

But of course it’s very possible all of 3A could be banned like Stepanova was banned. Like Bukin was banned. And no one ever knew why they were banned! Like Stolbova was banned. No one ever knew why she was banned by Valerie forneyron! Anyone know why fourneyron banned those people?

Ka3sha

What I got from reading Russian journalists:

1. Only Worlds and Olympics.
For example, Russia (St Petersburg) will still host UEFA Euro 2021 next summer and Championship League's Final in 2022.
2. According to the Head of Russian Olympic Committee, yes, they can. Hockey Federation already said that they will be able to form teams for the Worlds/Olympics.
And (I could be wrong here), this time there won't be any individual 'invitations' , all decisions to be made by Russian Olympic Committee/Federations. Also, athletes who had some doping history and already returned from doping suspencion can take part in the events/Olympics.
3. N/A, but I guess it would be the same as it was in PyeongChang.

UPD: Russian Olympic Committee confirmed that athletes will be able to take part in Olympic team events and will represent ROC, not Russia

Last edited:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
To clarify this:

Russian athletes will not be able to use any flag or name related to 'Russia' like it happened at Pyeongchang 2018 with the OAR name.

This time the IOC will come with some name like 'Neutral Athletes' or something like that but nothing that relates to 'Russia, russian'

Only Russian athletes who meet certain criteria will be able to compete as neutrals at events including Tokyo 2020, Beijing 2022 and the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar - should the nation qualify - under the decision rendered by the CAS.

Russian athletes who have served a doping ban will not be able to represent any neutral team at the Olympics or World Championships.

The country will not be able to host, or be granted the right the stage, any major events during the two-year period where the sanctions apply and it must be stripped of any World Championships it has already been awarded that are due to take place between now and December 16 2022 "unless it is legally or practically impossible" to do so.

caseyedwards

To clarify this:

Russian athletes will not be able to use any flag or name related to 'Russia' like it happened at Pyeongchang 2018 with the OAR name.

This time the IOC will come with some name like 'Neutral Athletes' or something like that but nothing that relates to 'Russia, russian'

Only Russian athletes who meet certain criteria will be able to compete as neutrals at events including Tokyo 2020, Beijing 2022 and the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar - should the nation qualify - under the decision rendered by the CAS.

Russian athletes who have served a doping ban will not be able to represent any neutral team at the Olympics or World Championships.

The country will not be able to host, or be granted the right the stage, any major events during the two-year period where the sanctions apply and it must be stripped of any World Championships it has already been awarded that are due to take place between now and December 16 2022 "unless it is legally or practically impossible" to do so.
So this does mean Russia is banned even as a qualifying nation as well or no? The big question is about the 3A. If Russia is banned in any capacity even an organizational capacity how do you have 3A in beijing? What’s the status of Russian qualifiers in skating events?

Braulio

Russia as a nation is banned, but skaters will be send to the figure skating events and the team event, only this time they will not be able to be named 'Olympic Athletes from Russia' instead they will use the IOC flag, IOC anthem and the name is yet to be decided but it could be 'Neutral Olympic Athletes'

All the team events in those sports like Hockey, Volleyball, Handball, Basketball, will compete not as Russia of course but as I mentioned 'Neutral Olympic Athletes'

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
To clarify this:

So that disqualifies Bukin from future Olympics or Worlds? Or Just in the next two years?

Ka3sha

@Braulio , I am wondering what is the source, because all Russian media/journalists and even the head of Olympic Committee said quite opposite things.

And the ESPN article mentions that it is allowed to use name ‘Russia’ on the official uniform, for example, but only in addition to ‘neutral athletes’. Also, fans will be able to use flags and symbols in the stands (unlike at 2018 Olympics, if I remember correctly)

Braulio

So that disqualifies Bukin from future Olympics or Worlds? Or Just in the next two years?

We don't know as he was never charged (publicly) with a doping case, we don't know why he was not invited to 2018 Games so it is uncertain right now to call him out of Beijing too. But of course that shadow of a second 'un-invitation' is there, I am sure Russian Skating Federation will work hard this time to make clear he is allowed to compete

Braulio

@Braulio , I am wondering what is the source, because all Russian media/journalists and even the head of Olympic Committee said quite opposite things.

And the ESPN article mentions that it is allowed to use name ‘Russia’ on the official uniform, for example, but only in addition to ‘neutral athletes’. Also, fans will be able to use flags and symbols in the stands (unlike at 2018 Olympics, if I remember correctly)

Well, russian media can say whatever they interpret but the CAS is very clear

Link:
Russian flag banned from Tokyo 2020 and Beijing 2022 (insidethegames.biz)

source: insidethegames

AND

CAS document
CAS arbitration WADA v. RUSADA: Decision - Tribunal Arbitral du Sport / Court of Arbitration for Sport (tas-cas.org)

Yes, Spectators are free to bring the Russian flag into venues as International Federations and code signatories will not be required to prevent them from doing so.

Vagabond

The CAR has published a five-page summary of its as'yet-unreleased ruling. I can't link to it right now, but anyone can find it by opening the link in Post #6 and following the proper link in that article.

Sylvia

TBD
CAS DECISION IN THE ARBITRATION WADA V. RUSADA
Lausanne, 17 December 2020 – The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has issued its decision in the arbitration procedure between the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and the Russian AntiDoping Agency (RUSADA), with 50 intervening parties, including the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) and the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF).
The CAS Panel unanimously determined RUSADA to be non-compliant with the World Anti-Doping Code (WADC) in connection with its failure to procure the delivery of the authentic LIMS data (Laboratory Information Management System) and underlying analytical data of the former Moscow Laboratory to WADA. As a consequence, the Panel issued a number of orders which come into effect on 17 December 2020 for a period of two years, i.e. until 16 December 2022.

PDF (5 pages): https://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/CAS_Media_Release_6689_decision.pdf

ETA the condition re. the Russian athletes' uniforms:

iv. Russian Athletes/Athlete Support Personnel shall participate in a uniform to be approved by the relevant Signatory which shall not contain the flag of the Russian Federation (current or historical), or any national emblem or other national symbol of the Russian Federation. If the uniform contains or displays the name “Russia” (in any language or format), the words “neutral athlete” (or an equivalent) must be displayed in English in a position and size that is no less prominent than the name “Russia”. For the avoidance of doubt, the uniform may contain the colours of the flag of the Russian Federation (current or historical) (collectively or in combination).

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Well, russian media can say whatever they interpret but the CAS is very clear
no, they are actually saying the same thing - just a lot depends on the interpretation and emphasizing on the certain things (in both Russian and non-Russian media)

Thank you for the link!

Also, as far as I understand (please, correct me if I am wrong and misinterpreted this), this
The Athlete/Athlete Support Personnel shall not be subject to suspension, restriction, condition or exclusion imposed by a competent authority in any past or future proceedings which remains in force at the time of the specified event.
means that athletes who had already served their band and whose cases had been closed, could compete at the events?

Tinami Amori

For the avoidance of doubt, the uniform may contain the colours of the flag of the Russian Federation (current or historical) (collectively or in combination).
That's what i read too. Also about athletes' participation. I read: Athletes who already served their suspension and are cleared, can participate.

caseyedwards

Russia as a nation is banned, but skaters will be send to the figure skating events and the team event, only this time they will not be able to be named 'Olympic Athletes from Russia' instead they will use the IOC flag, IOC anthem and the name is yet to be decided but it could be 'Neutral Olympic Athletes'

All the team events in those sports like Hockey, Volleyball, Handball, Basketball, will compete not as Russia of course but as I mentioned 'Neutral Olympic Athletes'
But how is it done in a way that only benefits Russia? Wouldn’t an neutral Olympic athlete team be open to all neutrals of all countries? So there is no reason to expect “neutral Olympic athletes” teams or spots will only be for Russians. So if “neutrals” can get three spots in ladies why do Russians get those spots?

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I find it all interesting. 2018 was a weird Olympics to have Russian athletes compete under a neutral flag. I’m surprised they are allowed to compete again under the same circumstances. Wouldn’t a ban mean no athletes from Russia? Why allow them then strip that country?

Vagabond

I find it all interesting. 2018 was a weird Olympics to have Russian athletes compete under a neutral flag. I’m surprised they are allowed to compete again under the same circumstances. Wouldn’t a ban mean no athletes from Russia? Why allow them then strip that country?
Because the athletes who will be allowed to participate weren't involved in the doping.

If Russia doesn't shape up, however, there won't be any Russian athletes competing, clean or not.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Because the athletes who will be allowed to participate weren't involved in the doping.

If Russia doesn't shape up, however, there won't be any Russian athletes competing, clean or not.
I get that they punished the country for a few athletes who were doping, but why strip the flag and allow them to compete anyways? What message are they trying to send?

Orm Irian

I get that they punished the country for a few athletes who were doping, but why strip the flag and allow them to compete anyways? What message are they trying to send?
They weren't punishing the country because individual athletes doped. They were attempting to punish the country for an extensive programme of state-sponsored doping without unduly punishing individual athletes who had no record of being involved in the programme (willingly or otherwise). Unfortunately, it seems that when a country is willing to corrupt, abuse and/or harm its own athletes in order to win medals as a start point, that kind of line-walking defeats the purpose of the sanction - so long as the country gets to be in any way linked to further medals, the wrist-slap gets shrugged off as meaningless. And to be fair, it pretty much is. They need to go for an extended full-on ban, but just like in any sport, where money is involved that's unlikely to happen. Look at how lightly Australia's cheating cricketers got off, after all.

Tinami Amori

Just a reminder. The current punishment is not for doping. It is for OLD data manipulation, which was not even conducted by RUSADA, but by some "old timers" in another administrative entity of Russia. It's a continuation of an "old saga" from what took place before 2018 Olympics.

Last edited:

soogar

I'm confused. At what point are they going to stop punishing Russia for the same thing? It seems like beating a dead horse. Also, who knows if there even will be an Olympics within the next two years. With the way everything is going, looks like things will be delayed another year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information