Canadian Championships to return to Ottawa - Jan. 6-13, 2022

Lil Sarah

Do you mean the one with Dr. Moore? If so, he said capacity would be reduced to 50% or 1000, whichever is less. Have they sold more than 1000 tickets? If so, who gets the "you can't come"?
Since there can't be "season ticket holders first," it should go by the date & time you ordered tickets.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Just saw this on twitter - didn't see an announcement from Skate Canada yet.

"Skate Canada announces that Canadian Nationals will be a closed-door event: No live audience and media moved to online only. Crushing sign of the moment, especially for the athletes looking to book Olympic spots in front of friends and family not able to travel to Beijing"

nylynnr

"Skate Canada announces that Canadian Nationals will be a closed-door event: No live audience and media moved to online only. Crushing sign of the moment, especially for the athletes looking to book Olympic spots in front of friends and family not able to travel to Beijing"
Skate Canada sent out a press release about this --

Effective immediately:
  1. No live audience will be permitted in the TD Arena for the CTNSC. This means all purchased tickets will be refunded. Only essential accredited people will be allowed in the facility. TD Place will notify each ticket holder, via email, and will process refunds by January 15, 2022.
  2. The Senior Event will run as planned. However the Gala, scheduled for Sunday, January 9, 2022, has been cancelled.
  3. Media access will be available virtually. Information will be released to accredited media once available.
  4. The Junior Event will run, however changes to the planned schedule may be necessary. An updated schedule will be released in due course.
  5. The Novice Event will be postponed and will be rescheduled to a later date.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

I was thinking this was almost a guarantee by New Years Day. I imagine the US might be thinking about something similar at this point- not because of the risk of severe cases, but because breakthrough cases are increasing at a crazy rate.

nylynnr

I was thinking this was almost a guarantee by New Years Day. I imagine the US might be thinking about something similar at this point- not because of the risk of severe cases, but because breakthrough cases are increasing at a crazy rate.
I think it would have had to announce that today.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Skate Canada needs to update their website and social media because it still has a link to buy tickets.

I hope the novices will get to have their nationals at a later date. Their virtual event last year was cancelled too.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
This is the email I just received,

IMPORTANT CHANGES TO 2022 CANADIAN TIRE NATIONAL SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
OTTAWA, ON: With the rapidly escalating situation with the Omicron variant and the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Skate Canada has made several difficult decisions in respect of The Canadian Tire National Skating Championships (CTNSC) scheduled to take place from January 6-13, 2022, at TD Place Arena in Ottawa, ON.

Effective immediately:
  1. No live audience will be permitted in the TD Arena for the CTNSC. This means all purchased tickets will be refunded. Only essential accredited people will be allowed in the facility. TD Place will notify each ticket holder, via email, and will process refunds by January 15, 2022.
  2. The Senior Event will run as planned. However the Gala, scheduled for Sunday, January 9, 2022, has been cancelled.
  3. Media access will be available virtually. Information will be released to accredited media once available.
  4. The Junior Event will run, however changes to the planned schedule may be necessary. An updated schedule will be released in due course.
  5. The Novice Event will be postponed and will be rescheduled to a later date.

In a joint statement, Skate Canada President, Karen Butcher, and CEO Debra Armstrong commented:

“The health and safety of all participants in the Championships is of paramount importance. We understand this is disappointing for our fans and stakeholders. However, our priority is to preserve the competitions necessary for the selection of teams for the Olympic Winter Games and ISU Championship events.”

Skate Canada appreciates the ongoing support from the figure skating community. The event will be available via live stream on CBC.ca.
CHANGEMENTS IMPORTANTS APPORTÉS AUX CHAMPIONNATS NATIONAUX DE PATINAGE 2022 CANADIAN TIRE
Ottawa, (Ont.) - Avec augmentation de la situation concernant la variante Omicron et la pandémie de COVID-19, Patinage Canada a pris plusieurs décisions difficiles en ce qui concerne les Championnats nationaux de patinage Canadian Tire (CTNSC) qui doivent avoir lieu du 6 au 13 janvier 2022 à l’aréna TD Place d’Ottawa, en Ontario.

En vigueur immédiatement :
  1. Aucun spectateur ne sera autorisé dans l’aréna TD pour le CNPCT. Cela signifie que tous les billets achetés seront remboursés. Seules les personnes essentielles accréditées seront autorisées dans l’établissement. La Place TD avisera chaque détenteur de billet, par courriel, et traitera les remboursements d’ici le 15 janvier 2022.
  2. L’événement senior se déroulera comme prévu. Cependant, le Gala, prévu pour le dimanche 9 janvier 2022, est annulé.
  3. L’accès aux médias se fera de façon virtuelle. L’information sera communiquée aux médias accrédités dès qu’elle sera disponible.
  4. L’événement junior se déroulera, mais l’horaire sera modifié. . Un mis à jour de l’horaire sera publiée s prochainement.
  5. L’événement novice sera reporté à une date ultérieure.

Dans une déclaration conjointe, la présidente de Patinage Canada, Karen Butcher, et la chef de la direction, Debra Armstrong, ont commenté :

« La santé et la sécurité de tous les participants aux Championnats sont d’une importance primordiale. Nous comprenons que c’est décevant pour nos fans et nos acteurs concernés. Cependant, notre priorité est de préserver les compétitions nécessaires à la sélection des équipes pour les Jeux olympiques d’hiver et les championnats de l’ISU. "

Patinage Canada apprécie le soutien continu de la communauté du patinage artistique. L’événement sera disponible en direct sur CBC.ca.

Debbie S

I'm sorry for the fans and family members who planned to go. And sorry for the skaters....for some, this could be their last (or only) Nationals. I know this will (hopefully) keep them healthy, but it still sucks. :(

USFS isn't likely to follow suit. They want/need the money.

Judy

I hope the people here that were flying in with hotel etc accommodations can get refunds. Although it is the right thing to do I understand the disappointment as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information