Canadian Championships to return to Ottawa - Jan. 6-13, 2022

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
There is no way that Skate Canada would allow this to go ahead with one coach per club. Skaters need to work with their own coach, not someone from the same club that they might not even know. And some big clubs will have too many skaters there for a single coach to be able to manage.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
All the experts and even Joe Biden have said that going back to remote learning isn't an acceptable option. Maybe Trudeau and Ford will see it differently but don't count on it.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I don't think "all" the experts have said that remote learning is no longer acceptable. It's certainly not the same as kids being with their peers and learning as a group in-person, but it's a better alternative than kids catching the v*r*s in crowded classrooms and possibly getting very sick or dying.

Judy

I can't see this going on in the current format. If any athlete gets CV, they are in danger of not being able to attend the Olympics. China will not allow anyone into their country who tests positive and those who have had CV can continue to test positive for months after their isolation is done. At a bare minimum there should be no audience, and before they get on the bus from hotel to rink, they should all be made to take a rapid test and cannot board bus until test comes back negative. Also maybe only one coach per Club. But I really think they need Plan B to hold Senior competition to determine Olympic and 4 CC teams (virtual? small bubble group of top contenders compete live with significant testing or just take Body of work over past 2 seasons). Maybe delay junior for a month or two?
My concern for the olympics would be if they get sick over there even with a milder case. The medalist field might look very different.

Getting sick during training is an issue too of course.

skategal

Bunny mama
All the experts and even Joe Biden have said that going back to remote learning isn't an acceptable option. Maybe Trudeau and Ford will see it differently but don't count on it.
Trudeau has no say or control over education. It’s a provincial jurisdiction so he will stay out of the debate.

So far the provinces have been split on if they will start remote or in-person.

Ontario hasn’t declared their intentions yet.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
My concern for the olympics would be if they get sick over there even with a milder case. The medalist field might look very different.

Good point. I would also be concerned about selective misdiagnosis of a medal favorite declared “sick,” if you get my drift. I hope that, in the course of testing & diagnosing an athlete who is already in China, the decision makers include doctor(s) from that athlete’s country/group. Maybe that’s a discussion for another thread; just reacting to Judy’s post.

Last edited:

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Good point. I would also be concerned about selective misdiagnosis of a medal favorite declared “sick,” if you get my drift. I hope that, in the course of testing & diagnosing an athlete who is already in China, the decision makers include doctor(s) from that athlete’s country/group. Maybe that’s a discussion for another thread; just reacting to Judy’s post.

This thought has crossed my mind too, particularly with a risk of the Russian pairs being misdiagnosed…

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
This thought has crossed my mind too, particularly with a risk of the Russian pairs being misdiagnosed…

Exactly…or - if China & Russia are in cahoots in the testing lab - Japanese women…French dancers…US men, etc. and everyone knows how much I love Team Russia but I want fair play…

Or - not any national bias in particular - something related to Japanese dance…e.g., a miraculous sudden need to call Dai & partner (now the alternates) to the ice.

Everybody stay safe, stay vigilant, protect each national team’s own members once in China.

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Trudeau has no say or control over education. It’s a provincial jurisdiction so he will stay out of the debate.

So far the provinces have been split on if they will start remote or in-person.

Ontario hasn’t declared their intentions yet.
BC has decided to start a week later with in-person classes. It's not an easy decision to make, but having done both, I prefer the in-person. My daughter didn't do well with remote learning and she really missed the socializing & seeing her friends. It's also harder to ask for help when you're on a remote session.

As for universities, so far I'm hearing a lot of them are going virtual till close to end of January. This is in BC, AB and Ontario so far (not all but definitely a few).

skategal

Bunny mama
BC has decided to start a week later with in-person classes. It's not an easy decision to make, but having done both, I prefer the in-person. My daughter didn't do well with remote learning and she really missed the socializing & seeing her friends. It's also harder to ask for help when you're on a remote session.

As for universities, so far I'm hearing a lot of them are going virtual till close to end of January. This is in BC, AB and Ontario so far (not all but definitely a few).
Exactly the same situation here in NS.

Delayed until the 10th but in person.

I have yet to hear a good plan to keep teachers in schools though.

We had to shut down schools 2 days early in December because so many teachers were sick and/or n isolation.

luckiest1

For what it's worth, I just had a callback from TD Place (I left a message last week in regards to the food/drink policy). The woman said that she has heard they may be reducing the capacity again but ticket holders are safe, they will likely not sell any more tickets. No eating or drinking in any form inside the arena. They will have water fountains where you can fill a bottle or cup and take a sip. In/out priveleges for people to attend restaurants. As far as she is aware the event is going forward.

Judy

I was thinking of them more as legitimately getting sick possibly even before they leave their countries.

Judy

Ontario making an announcement this afternoon at 3 re schools. They are NEVER on time though.

Sylvia

TBD

Parsley Sage

Ontario making an announcement this afternoon at 3 re schools. They are NEVER on time though.
I'm not sure about this. It's only the chief medical officer. Usually when it's about schools, the minister of education is there as well.

Parsley Sage

Global news reporting that the start of school will be delayed 2 days to Jan 5. The delay is to distribute N95 masks to teachers and hepa air cleaners to schools.

Venue capacity will be limited to 50% or 1000 people. Whichever is less.

firefly

Rumours in media is that capacity will be reduced at 1,000 people or 50%, whichever number is lower.

We should know by 4 p.m., but nothing says they won't change the rules again next week.

I have tickets for this event, I really would like to go, but for the life of me I don't understand why the province allows it to go forward with spectators. I feel they are forcing some ticket holders to decide between loosing money and protecting themselves and the city. When I bought my tickets in early December, I did so thinking cases would be higher but that with N95 respirators and rapid testing, it would be safe...

Judy

I'm not sure about this. It's only the chief medical officer. Usually when it's about schools, the minister of education is there as well.
Interesting. I assumed they would be there but who knows. This is still a source though and I would expect more info coming at 3. Or 3:30 (#neverontime).

Last edited:

million$momma

Honestly I'm surprised this event is still happening. Cases are going up again, several events already got canceled or postponed. I really hope the skaters all remain healthy & safe.
The events that have been cancelled so far are team events with round Robin type competition. When 1 member of the team tests positive, all team members must isolate forcing the entire team to with draw. This messes with the entire competition. Skating is for the most part an individual sport. I could see the event closing to spectators before getting cancelled completely.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
Honestly I'm surprised this event is still happening. Cases are going up again, several events already got canceled or postponed. I really hope the skaters all remain healthy & safe.

I hope so too.

It's interesting the discussion here slants towards no spectators or cancel the event while the US thread is mostly on how people plan to attend US Nats safely...

Meanwhile, as far as I can figure out, the 7 day rolling average of new cases per 100,000 is about 60 in the Ottawa health region while it is 115 in Davidson County TN.

We're a cautious lot. :lol:

If they do cut the allowed attendance I wonder how they will decide who gets to go or isn't allowed to go. Ask for volunteers?

kates8

The events that have been cancelled so far are team events with round Robin type competition. When 1 member of the team tests positive, all team members must isolate forcing the entire team to with draw. This messes with the entire competition. Skating is for the most part an individual sport. I could see the event closing to spectators before getting cancelled completely.
At Nationals, most competitors will be flying or driving in from across Canada and have family members with them and stay with them in their hotel rooms. So there will be ~200 competitors / coaches arriving with Skate Canada having no idea who they have been in contact with in past weeks and many of them will not have had any access to testing in advance. It will just take one asymptomatic/symptomatic competitor sitting with or near another one on the bus or in a change room to start the spread quickly. I agree event should be closed to spectators, but unless there is rigorous advance testing and on site testing taking place, this could end badly or worse affect Olympic dreams.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
The news comes conference. I listened to it.
Do you mean the one with Dr. Moore? If so, he said capacity would be reduced to 50% or 1000, whichever is less. Have they sold more than 1000 tickets? If so, who gets the "you can't come"?

Judy

Do you mean the one with Dr. Moore? If so, he said capacity would be reduced to 50% or 1000, whichever is less. Have they sold more than 1000 tickets? If so, who gets the "you can't come"?
I’m still absorbing the whole news conference honestly. I expect they are under that number though.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I’m still absorbing the whole news conference honestly. I expect they are under that number though.
Interestingly, CBC Sports has updated their streaming schedule and they are now showing streams for all the senior, junior, and novice events!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information