Canadian Championships to return to Ottawa - Jan. 6-13, 2022

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
Not even curbside or parking lot pick-up?
Still allowed.

From the Ontario.ca site:

Full list of new restrictions

"Closing indoor dining at restaurants, bars and other food or drink establishments. Outdoor dining with restrictions, takeout, drive through and delivery is permitted."

This might impact athletes who depend on public gyms, even with the exception:

"Closing indoor sport and recreational fitness facilities including gyms, except for athletes training for the Olympics and Paralympics and select professional and elite amateur sport leagues. Outdoor facilities are permitted to operate but with the number of spectators not to exceed 50 per cent occupancy and other requirements."

kates8

Still allowed.

From the Ontario.ca site:

Full list of new restrictions

"Closing indoor sport and recreational fitness facilities including gyms, except for athletes training for the Olympics and Paralympics and select professional and elite amateur sport leagues. Outdoor facilities are permitted to operate but with the number of spectators not to exceed 50 per cent occupancy and other requirements."
I wonder if this will impact holding Canadians in Ottawa?

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
The link to the coloured schedule dated today: https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/2022-CTNSC-Block-schedule-Junior-and-Senior.pdf
For some reason it still includes the Gala on Sunday.

The updated schedule as it currently appears on the website:

THURSDAY,
JANUARY 6
SENIOR OFFICIAL PRACTICE DAY

FRIDAY,
JANUARY 7
12:00 -SENIOR WOMEN SHORT PROGRAM
14:45 – SENIOR ICE DANCE – RHYTHM DANCE
17:30 – SENIOR PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM
18:50 – SENIOR MEN SHORT PROGRAM

SATURDAY,
JANUARY 8
10:30 – SENIOR WOMEN FREE PROGRAM
13:45 – SENIOR ICE DANCE – FREE DANCE
17:15 – SENIOR PAIRS FREE PROGRAM
18:45 – SENIOR MEN FREE PROGRAM

SUNDAY,
JANUARY 9
JUNIOR OFFICIAL PRACTICE DAY

MONDAY,
JANUARY 10
15:00 – JUNIOR ICE DANCE – RHYTHM DANCE
16:05 – JUNIOR PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM

TUESDAY,
JANUARY 11
14:00 – JUNIOR ICE DANCE – FREE DANCE
19:45 – JUNIOR PAIRS FREE PROGRAM

WENESDAY,
JANUARY 12
13:15 – JUNIOR WOMEN SHORT PROGRAM
16:40 – JUNIOR MEN SHORT PROGRAM

THURSDAY,
JANUARY 13
10:50 – JUNIOR WOMEN FREE PROGRAM
14:10 – JUNIOR MEN FREE PROGRAM

mackiecat

@Yyzskater above says an email went out ( I’m assuming to the skaters, coaches and officials that it affects) that says the schedule with out Novice will go on. So did Skate Canada know ahead that Ontario was going to stop all skating except the carded Sr and Jr skaters

skategal

Bunny mama
@Yyzskater above says an email went out ( I’m assuming to the skaters, coaches and officials that it affects) that says the schedule with out Novice will go on. So did Skate Canada know ahead that Ontario was going to stop all skating except the carded Sr and Jr skaters
They probably did.

mackiecat

That’s the only article I’ve seen.
From Bev Smith article.
The twosome, training in Montreal with Julie Marcotte, both got booster shots on Dec. 22. Both felt fatigued afterwards, but thought perhaps it was because of the vaccination.

But on Dec. 23, preparing to go home for Christmas, James took a PCR test that proved positive. She was shocked. She had no symptoms.

The positive test prevented her from giving the virus to her family. And because they recovered in time to practice a bit before nationals, she feels the positive test was a blessing.

Radford felt symptoms at the same time, but they were mild. “I felt like I had a cold,” Radford said on a conference call on Tuesday. “I did feel a little bit of body ache, runny nose, a bit of a cough, but nothing severe at all.”

His positive test came back on Boxing Day.

Eric probably got test on the 24th ( since they would have been closed on 25th)

I also wonder if the booster shot had anything to do with the positive test result

Judy

From Bev Smith article.
The twosome, training in Montreal with Julie Marcotte, both got booster shots on Dec. 22. Both felt fatigued afterwards, but thought perhaps it was because of the vaccination.

But on Dec. 23, preparing to go home for Christmas, James took a PCR test that proved positive. She was shocked. She had no symptoms.

The positive test prevented her from giving the ***** to her family. And because they recovered in time to practice a bit before nationals, she feels the positive test was a blessing.

Radford felt symptoms at the same time, but they were mild. “I felt like I had a cold,” Radford said on a conference call on Tuesday. “I did feel a little bit of body ache, runny nose, a bit of a cough, but nothing severe at all.”

His positive test came back on Boxing Day.

Eric probably got test on the 24th ( since they would have been closed on 25th)

I also wonder if the booster shot had anything to do with the positive test result
I would think that they likely caught it before the booster.

Judy

I hear Nationals are a go but no crowds
It will. Ford had briefly touched on Olympic athletes having exceptions basically. I’d have to go back to see the exact wording but qualifying for Olympics like Canadians is allowed. Along with other sports.

Judy

Well it has been somewhat unseasonably warmer in Ottawa so far but tonight it’s -25 with wind chill. 🥶

Skate Talker

Link to dailymotion archives of live stream

Yyzskater

I find it strange that there is no mandatory testing at Canadian Nationals but the US Nationals obviously required multiple testings.

mackiecat

I find it strange that there is no mandatory testing at Canadian Nationals but the US Nationals obviously required multiple testings.
As stated many times. There are no tests available in Ontario right now. the only people who can get tests are symptomatic high risk individual. So even sick Ontario residents can’t get tested right now.
Additionally Canada and Ontario have MUCH stronger Covid protection orders Than the US. All participants at Canadaians have been given and are wearing KN95 masks.

Yyzskater

As stated many times. There are no tests available in Ontario right now. the only people who can get tests are symptomatic high risk individual. So even sick Ontario residents can’t get tested right now.
Additionally Canada and Ontario have MUCH stronger ********* protection orders Than the US. All participants at Canadaians have been given and are wearing KN95 masks.
Additionally Canada and Ontario have MUCH stronger ********* protection orders Than the US. All participants at Canadaians have been given and are wearing KN95 masks.
While it's true that free rapid tests are hard to come by, there are rapid tests available for purchase whether online or at Shoppers. Simply "highly recommending" that skaters attending nationals get PCR or rapid tests (which is what Skate Canada has done) doesn't seem pro-active enough. And while we have fared better up here than in the US, several of our own skaters are testing positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information