Canadian Championships to return to Ottawa - Jan. 6-13, 2022

Judy

While it's true that free rapid tests are hard to come by, there are rapid tests available for purchase whether online or at Shoppers. Simply "highly recommending" that skaters attending nationals get PCR or rapid tests (which is what Skate Canada has done) doesn't seem pro-active enough. And while we have fared better up here than in the US, several of our own skaters are testing positive.
They may have gotten hold of rapid tests but the rapid tests are impossible to get here in Ottawa right now. They are giving them out in certain locations which means lengthy lines (kind of defeats the purpose imo). They are definitely not available in Shoppers here right now.

mackiecat

While it's true that free rapid tests are hard to come by, there are rapid tests available for purchase whether online or at Shoppers. Simply "highly recommending" that skaters attending nationals get PCR or rapid tests (which is what Skate Canada has done) doesn't seem pro-active enough. And while we have fared better up here than in the US, several of our own skaters are testing positive.
well good luck getting a rapid test at Shoppers right now. Really only choice is getting expensive Private clinic PCR rests for travel. You know all skaters aren’t rich right?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
You can’t get rapid tests online in Canada. Trust me. I’ve tried.

They are all on back order until end of January and are priced at a minimum of $7.00 for a test.

Most are around $10 per test so a box of 25 (minimum order) is $250.

Some are even more expensive.
I ordered some from this site for family members in Ottawa:
Placed the order December 20 for the only in stock option at the time (Roche test). Well they didn't ship them and placed them on backorder. They also hiked their prices a bit as at the time I order that one and the panbio test they list were $14 each.

So I cancelled my order with them for 25 tests at $375 and when I returned here I bought a bunch of the Bosun tests here for about $5 a test which I note they are now selling on the website for $10 a test. So I bought 100 tests here and shipped to family in Canada and Australia because in both countries it is impossible to find them and they are also a lot more expensive. All for about $500.

mackiecat

Placed the order December 20 for the only in stock option at the time (Roche test). Well they didn't ship them and placed them on backorder. They also hiked their prices a bit as at the time I order that one and the panbio test they list were $14 each.

So I cancelled my order with them for 25 tests at $375 and when I returned here I bought a bunch of the Bosun tests here for about $5 a test which I note they are now selling on the website for $10 a test. So I bought 100 tests here and shipped to family in Canada and Australia because in both countries it is impossible to find them and they are also a lot more expensive. All for about $500.
It is recommended to be taking tests every 12 hours right now if you want to be super safe. To test every skater, and every credentialed person would have been extremely costly as they would need so many tests. Even every 24 hours, which is standard in entertainment industry, would still cost well over $100,000

skategal

Bunny mama
Skate Canada because of the costs and number of tests needed would have probably had to ask for rapid tests from the Federal National Stockpile.

Considering the Feds just put an order in for 140,000,000 tests to be delivered by end of January, I doubt that they would have been able to fill an order by Skate Canada.

Plus the whole issue of using rapid tests on asymptomatic people wouldn’t fly politically right now.

Judy

I’m not one bit surprised. I was expecting this.

Eric doesn’t look like he can get himself and Vanessa safely through a LP right now.

Hope he recovers quickly.
Well they had Covid around Xmas so it likely took a toll along with missing 2 weeks of training. I hadn’t realized there was an outbreak at their training centre.

Judy

Skate Canada because of the costs and number of tests needed would have probably had to ask for rapid tests from the Federal National Stockpile.

Considering the Feds just put an order in for 140,000,000 tests to be delivered by end of January, I doubt that they would have been able to fill an order by Skate Canada.

Plus the whole issue of using rapid tests on asymptomatic people wouldn’t fly politically right now.
Well my niece in Victoria paid $70 in Victoria for a test .. negative and as a nurse said yah .. I’ll do a PCR test and yes positive. I’m still 😳 that B.C. didn’t prioritize boosters for medical care as Ontario did. She is ok though. Lots of her nursing coworkers had to be removed due to Covid.

Yyzskater

In case anyone wants to purchase rapid tests in Canada, they are still available here:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!

Judy

At least the downtown hotel downtown is pretty dead right now In Ottawa. I’m assuming they are staying at a hotel there as they used to.

Nashville would ordinarily be an amazing place to hold U.S. Nationals. I am not even a big fan of country music but likely the only place I’d still like to visit If things ever get back to normal.

Parsley Sage

I ordered tests from this site a few weeks ago. I can cancel any time up until they ship sometime later this month.

I got an e-mail from Canada Strong saying the tests were in stock but when I went to the site, they were sold out.

Judy

They are at the Marriott downtown
Hotels change names/ownership so much here! I know where it is. Yum Baton Rouge restaurant! I haven’t eaten there in so long and it wouldn’t be open for dining .. expensive too. Not that this is about food lol.

pointbleu

I find it strange that there is no mandatory testing at Canadian Nationals but the US Nationals obviously required multiple testings.
What would happen in an ideal world and what is feasible is two separate things. There is a shortage of rapid tests here so how could you politically say you would test x number of asymptomatic people when sick people don’t even know if they got the crud or not…

Yyzskater

I ordered tests from this site a few weeks ago. I can cancel any time up until they ship sometime later this month.

I got an e-mail from Canada Strong saying the tests were in stock but when I went to the site, they were sold out.
They were in stock when I posted. But they sell out very quickly. This is also the case with their N95 masks. They usually restock between 9-11am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information