U.S. Ice Dance 2019-20 season news & updates

platniumangel

Well, Wolfkostin/Chen beat the Browns at Chesapeake and JGP Russia, beat Lavrova/Gart at Chesapeake and Cannon, beat Ales/Tsarik at Chesapeake, Cannon, and Lake Placid. Beat Tkachenko/Kiliakov at Cannon ETA and JGP France, Ling/Wein at Cannon and Lake Placid, beat Lin/Sletten at Cannon and Lake Placid. They lost to DelCamp/Somerville at Lake Placid and to Nguyen/Kolesnik at Cannon, but otherwise haven't been beaten by any other American team all season. The only JGP team they haven't faced is Cesanek/Yehorov, but W/C's JGP scores were both 7-8 points higher than Cesenek/Yehorov's. W/C's SB is second of all American Junior dance teams thus far, seven points ahead of the next American team. I think that's solidifying their spot near the top of Junior American dance. YMMV.

Not to mention W/C fell on the pattern dance section of RD in Lake Placid. If not for that fall, I think they would have won the event. Their scores have been improving since summer competitions. They would have medaled here in Russia if she didn’t have that fall on twizzles in RD. Hopefully the falls are out of their system and the sky is the limit!

Dobre

Not to mention W/C fell on the pattern dance section of RD in Lake Placid. If not for that fall, I think they would have won the event.

I believe they would have been third if they had not fallen and if Davis & Smolkin had not gotten a basic on their spin. Which is irrelevant, since both happened. W&C have very nice potential. (I was totally rooting for them). But they are also brand new and have a lot of experience to gain. They skated beautifully here after they had taken themselves out of the competition in the RD. But they've splatted in 3 of 6 competitions this season so it's not exactly uncharacteristic. More a part of the process. Learning where they are relative to each other and learning how to compete. The potential skating quality, though, is very nice. Moments of wow! and moments of ow!

layman

If Green/Parsons hadn't had a fall in the RD at Lombardia, they might have wound up on the podium---the fall cost them about 4 points.
They have only been skating together a few months. Most teams take years to develop this kind of unison and difficulty. If you watch their skate blades you can see they skate really close together (she tripped him up in the Short).

bcash

The RD concept feels a little unexciting but the FD seems quite cool. Have they done something like this before?

sk8nlizard

Cayuse

Finally took the time to look up the lyrics to the two songs used by McNamarra and Carpenter in their free dance since the clarity of sound is not great from a large arena via video. Rescue sung by Lauren Daigle and No Boundaries by Adam Lambert both have a powerful messages. When the public catches on, I think they will appreciate this dance routine more and more.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^ Has someone started a list of Ice Dance scores this season? I want to see where everyone fits in so far... Are Russia's S&K leading score wise?

When do Hubbell & Donohue debut?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
^^^ Has someone started a list of Ice Dance scores this season? I want to see where everyone fits in so far... Are Russia's S&K leading score wise?

When do Hubbell & Donohue debut?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

wait what? P&C have that score already?????

when did H&D compete??

I went to BCN for a week.. but have I missed that much?????

:confused:

Added later... Ohhhhhh, you have mixed these with last seasons best????? ok.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
wait what? P&C have that score already?????

when did H&D compete??

I went to BCN for a week.. but have I missed that much?????

:confused:

Added later... Ohhhhhh, you have mixed these with last seasons best????? ok.

I didn't compile them, I just copied and pasted the link. :)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Oh My Gosh... that free dance by Chock & Bates is incredible!!!!

Just wow.

I could totally tell she is a snake and he is the charmer. I do love their costumes and hope they keep them.

Such innovative choreography and lines. JUST LOVE this.

If I had a critique.. Im wondering if maybe they are a bit too slow atm but maybe not? Seems ice coverage is lacking due to all the (appropriately placed) stopping and posing....

What a wonderful program!!!!!!

layman

Chock and Bates Free from this weekend:

I love their sassy RD but I am not sold on this free. Too much stopping and posing for me. The dance needs to move out more. Egyptian themes encourage this type of posing and staticness but Grishuk and Platov showed that you can do an Egyptian themed program that moves and flies across the ice. I think Chock and Bates and their team should rework some of the choreography to get more speed and movement in the program.

Dobre

So we are apparently going to pin our hopes at Worlds on Marilyn Monroe and a snake. I am :rofl:. I also, you know, really don't mind. I've always liked character programs. I've never had any kind of fondness for either Marilyn or snakes, but it serves me right for advocating for more character roles in North American ice dance :rofl:.

Jammers

I wonder why H/D aren't competing before the GP? Considering how the end of last season ended and the poor choice in programs they had you'd think they would want to get out there and show that they have better programs and get them out there for the judges to see. Their spot as US number 1 ice dance team is not a guarantee at the moment.

vireo

I'm anxious to see Hawayek/Baker's debut at Nebelhorn. I suspect the battle for the bronze at US nationals could be a turning point. H/B need to put some distance between themselves and the young teams nipping at their heels.

Just noticed that Carreira/Ponomarenko are listed for Nebelhorn too. Can't wait to see how this head to head turns out.

Dobre

Yes, Nebelhorn should be interesting. Six teams from last year's top 24 SB list are scheduled for the event. (As opposed to 2 at the U.S. Classic, 3 at Lombardia, 4 at Nepela, and 4 at the Autumn Classic).

Hawayek & Baker
Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen
Carreira & Ponomarenko
Fear & Gibson
Smart & Diaz
Wang & Liu

(I really like Wang & Liu's RD. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it:)).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information