From Russia with Love [#33]: Summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perky Shae Lynn

Short Interview with Arthur Minchuk about Boikova/Kozlovskii and their plans for th upcoming season

They are thinking about adding to 3toe-Euler-3sal combination and 3Lo (as they did in 2017/18 season) in the LP. Will start their season at FinTrophy ( @Hanna ).

Their new long program is to James Bond soundrack, but Minchuk doesn’t specify which compositions were chosen
I am excited about the Bond sountrack, even though they are so young. I hope it's an exciting program. Has the politiking started yet to position them as a Russian #2 soon to be #1?

RoseRed

I am excited about the Bond sountrack, even though they are so young. I hope it's an exciting program. Has the politiking started yet to position them as a Russian #2 soon to be #1?
Edit: Oh, I get it now. Yeah, seems like from their team's side.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Pretty much. Zabijako/Enbert, well, rather Enbert are old and injured, no one knows whether he'll skate till the Olympics, TarMor never became more than a promising junior. Now with Stolbova and Mishina coming into the game BoiKoz can use some politiing...

Mad for Skating

I think these are important points that often get lost in the romance angle between Stolbova and Morozov.

FWIW, Stolbova/Klimov's 2015 Man and Shadow LP that Morozov choreographed is brilliant. I still think it's of the best pairs programs ever (if not THE best*): an inspired music choice with a stunning mood maintained, with complimentary modern and angular choreography.

Needless to say I'm excited to see what direction he goes with Stolbova/Novoselov. I'm REALLY trying not to get my hopes up, but not yet succeeding. :lol:

*IJS-era.

I think everyone here knows my opinion of Morozov, but I will admit that he did some amazing work for Stolbova/Klimov, and I'm not concerned about him creating good programs for her and Novoselov. I just wish he could use his brilliant brain without also using his wandering hands.

Short Interview with Arthur Minchuk about Boikova/Kozlovskii and their plans for th upcoming season

They are thinking about adding to 3toe-Euler-3sal combination and 3Lo (as they did in 2017/18 season) in the LP. Will start their season at FinTrophy ( @Hanna ).

Their new long program is to James Bond soundrack, but Minchuk doesn’t specify which compositions were chosen

Ooh, this sounds exciting! I think a Skyfall program would be stunning, but tbh I like all the James Bond soundtracks so I think I will like this! My only concern is that it's not a classical program like they usually do; however, I think it will be good to see them trying something new.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
New interview with Sofia Samodurova (I've also posted the link in her cheer thread):

It's very thorough -- she talks about her new programs, the 3 axel, what improvements she wants to make, last season, training camps, etc.

Perky Shae Lynn

Pretty much. Zabijako/Enbert, well, rather Enbert are old and injured, no one knows whether he'll skate till the Olympics, TarMor never became more than a promising junior. Now with Stolbova and Mishina coming into the game BoiKoz can use some politiing...
B&K are still juniorish, but there is something about them. They are both special, and that's rare.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Reading through the new figure skating magazine:
Anabelle Morozova/Bagin moved to Perm with Morozov. Guess it answers the question where he is coaching, does not answer the question how Stolbova agreed to move from St. Petersburg and Moscow to Perm
Davis/Smolkin are officially training in Odintsovo with Samokhin. Didn't know Spilbandt changed his name and location,but ok..

hanca

Values her privacy
Anabelle Morozova/Bagin moved to Perm with Morozov. Guess it answers the question where he is coaching, does not answer the question how Stolbova agreed to move from St. Petersburg and Moscow to Perm
Davis/Smolkin are officially training in Odintsovo with Samokhin. Didn't know Spilbandt changed his name and location,but ok..
Tiukova said in her interview that they are building (or finished building?) another ice skating rink in Perm. It may be that he is able to get much more ice time there than at any established rink in St. Petersburg or in Moscow. Any decent rink in St Petersburg or Moscow would already have an established group of coaches and it could be hard to get there enough ice time. Stolbova would probably do anything to get back to the top, and moving temporarily to Perm is not that huge price to pay.

starrynight

I do wonder if Morozov leaving New Jersey for Perm was a factor in Weaver/Poje choosing to retire (in that they would likely have had to find a new coach (limited options in North America) or move to Perm). How long has he been there?

Last edited:

Dobre

I do wonder if Morozov leaving New Jersey for Perm was a factor in Weaver/Poje choosing to retire (in that they would likely have had to find a new coach (limited options in North America) or move to Perm). How long has he been there?

So, for clarity before I post this in the "coaching changes" update in The Dance Hall, Morozov is moving to Perm as one of his multiple rinks? Or has he left New Jersey all together?

And are we currently not sure where Davis & Smolkin are training? Or do we know if they are training with both Samokhin & Shpilband? Are we currently in limbo wondering whether they have opted to stay in Russia instead? Or are we currently assuming that they have a coach of record in Russia but are really mostly training with Shpilband? Or that they are based in Russia and have Shpilband as a part-time coach? They were in Russia in the last link I saw on them, but that was about a week before Junior Russian Test skates.

Tinami Amori

He had nose surgery a month or two back.
Yes, Dimitriev Jr. had it on June 8th. gave interview saying "it's a growth inside the nasal passage that prevents him from breathing normally". Recovery process was said to be one month.

Ka3sha

So, for clarity before I post this in the "coaching changes" update in The Dance Hall, Morozov is moving to Perm as one of his multiple rinks? Or has he left New Jersey all together?

And are we currently not sure where Davis & Smolkin are training? Or do we know if they are training with both Samokhin & Shpilband? Are we currently in limbo wondering whether they have opted to stay in Russia instead? Or are we currently assuming that they have a coach of record in Russia but are really mostly training with Shpilband? Or that they are based in Russia and have Shpilband as a part-time coach? They were in Russia in the last link I saw on them, but that was about a week before Junior Russian Test skates.
This is the answer.
All Russian skaters (even those who are training abroad) have to be listed among Russian skating schools athletes in order to get more funding and represent schools/regions on regional level.
For example, SinKats used to be a part of Vdokhnovenie school (Mozer’s rink) when they were training in Canton and Evgenia Medvedeva is still a Sambo-70 athlete even if she is now coached by Orser, nor Tutberidze or Tsareva.

Dobre

This is the answer.

Thank you, Ka3sha. Yes, I remember you explaining this before. I did want to check, though, as Shpilband does sometimes do part-time coaching. And sometimes sits with teams (like Polishchuk & Vakhnov), that I then never see him with again so I didn't want to leave the wrong update on the summer dance drama list.

Tinami Amori

I did want to check, though, as Shpilband does sometimes do part-time coaching. And sometimes sits with teams (like Polishchuk & Vakhnov), that I then never see him with again so I didn't want to leave the wrong update on the summer dance drama list.
It's like "study abroad" university arrangement. One is enrolled in a university, officially stays that uni's student and has a supervising professor/teacher, but then takes a year worth of classes abroad at another uni (and the scholar ship and/or financial aid can be used abroad too).

hanca

Values her privacy
That’s a bit harsh to say about team who has one bronze and two silver worlds medals that they never become more than promising juniors. I would say they haven’t fulfilled their potential yet (although Zabijako/Enbert and Savchenko has proved that there is no reason to panic yet. Tarasova/Morozov still can step up and get the medals in a year, two years or five year’s time... Tarasova and Morozov are only 24 and 26 and have three worlds medals. Zabijako and Enbert got their first world medal much later, and so did James/Cipres).

hanca

Values her privacy
Very intriguing interview from Velikov’s group.

Interesting bit - they split up their group of 8 pairs to two training groups according to those who can skate with Galliamov and those who can’t. ‘Galliamov is a very difficult boy. He is very emotional and doesn’t like to be disturbed.’ Wow, that’s a bit honest!

J

Jeschke

Very intriguing interview from Velikov’s group.

Interesting bit - they split up their group of 8 pairs to two training groups according to those who can skate with Galliamov and those who can’t. ‘Galliamov is a very difficult boy. He is very emotional and doesn’t like to be disturbed.’ Wow, that’s a bit honest!
They literally said the same thing about Kostiukovich.
I like the hunger of the young teams!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
IMHO, Russian pairs are the future. The US and Canada have none that are going to challenge for medals, James/Cipres are all the French have and they' ve reached their limit, and the Chinese fed has done nothing to develop new teams. Sui is very injury prone and has missed more seasons than she's competed. The other senior teams are hit and miss. Russia has three senior teams with World and Olympic medals (Stolbova) and new senior and juniors who have dominated juniors for years now. It's a pity only 3 will be on the World, European and Olympic teams.. I don't get it when people say such and such haven't reached their potential. What do you want from them? The young teams are hungry and want medals. The older teams are hungry for more. They want an OGM

hanca

Values her privacy
IMHO, Russian pairs are the future. The US and Canada have none that are going to challenge for medals, James/Cipres are all the French have and they' ve reached their limit, and the Chinese fed has done nothing to develop new teams. Sui is very injury prone and has missed more seasons than she's competed. The other senior teams are hit and miss. Russia has three senior teams with World and Olympic medals (Stolbova) and new senior and juniors who have dominated juniors for years now. It's a pity only 3 will be on the World, European and Olympic teams.. I don't get it when people say such and such haven't reached their potential. What do you want from them? The young teams are hungry and want medals. The older teams are hungry for more. They want an OGM
Well, if you compare what they could have achieved to what they achieved, then you can say that they haven’t reached their potential. They have done better than expected in their first three year of senior career, getting to worlds bronze in their third senior year. I don’t think they could have done better in those years. But then, the following two years, they became less consistent and let other pairs to take the top price. The fourth at the olympics, and two silver at worlds when they were clearly fighting for the gold... In their last season, losing the gold at Europeans... if they were consistent and landed their jumps, those could have been gold or at least a medal at the Olympics. And gold at the Europeans. It is not as if James/Cipres were unbeatable.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Or maybe Tarasova/Morozov have reached their potential, because they never will be consistent and put together two stellar performances and/or deliver like they should be able to in the big competitions.

I hope not. I <3 Tarasova.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
IMHO, fans perceptions have everything to do with which coaching technique they prefer (I'm not that big a fan of Moskvina's skaters as they all have the same flaws. She's NOT the end all of Russian skaters), and the music they choose. However, they all have good technique. It depends on nerves on how well they compete on any given day. What is interesting in Russian pairs now, is the diversity of style and coaches. Morosov has done excellent programs for Stolbova/Klimov and I think he'll do the same for her now if the early reports are any indication. I'm looking forward to the senior test skates to see what all the teams have been doing. Then let the best teams win.

Bigbird

Or maybe Tarasova/Morozov have reached their potential, because they never will be consistent and put together two stellar performances and/or deliver like they should be able to in the big competitions.

I hope not. I <3 Tarasova.

Tarasova is lovely, but as per the Russian experts the girls are expendable, everything is about the boy....blah blah blah.

zebraswan

Tarasova is lovely, but as per the Russian experts the girls are expendable, everything is about the boy....blah blah blah.

What "experts" are you referring to? Nobody says that about T/M. And do you think people are excited to see Stolbova/Novoselov because of him? :rofl:

Dmitriev thinks T/M's issues are partly because of their choreography and a lack of personal responsiblity. It's only his opinion of course, but I have to agree that I always found them too passive in the past, and their programs were not worthy of winning Olys/Worlds. But their careers are far from over. Everyone is on their own path and it's pointless to dwell on what could have been instead of looking forward.

He also talks about the other pairs and skating in general here:

mjb52

If anything it's the opposite - the Russians really seemed to buy into the "presenting the lady" concept for a long time other than with Dimitriev didn't they (I do think this is changing with the younger generation of coaches and skaters)? I would love to know what in T/M's choreography conveys that it is all about Morozov omg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information