Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Which Movies Might You See? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• Feb. 16th - Black Panther – Action adventure with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyo

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • March 2nd - Red Sparrow – Mystery thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Mary-Louise Pa

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • March 9th - A Wrinkle In Time – Adventure fantasy with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Oprah Winfr

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • March 16th - Tomb Raider – Action adventure with Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins and Kristin Scott T

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • March 30th – Ready Player One – Sci-fi adventure with Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and Simon Pegg

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • May 4th - Avengers: Infinity War – Adventure fantasy with nobody famous

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • May 18th - Deadpool 2 – Adventure comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin and T. J. Miller

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • May 25th - Solo: A Star Wars Story – Adventure fantsy with Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Woody

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • June 8th - Ocean's 8 – Action thriller with Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • June 22nd - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Action sci-fi with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

emason

Saw ‘Roman Holiday’ yesterday. Audrey Hepburn was absolutely superb in her very first movie. Not many have won the Oscar in their debut movies (Ben Kingsley comes to mind)

It may have been her first starring role, but it wasn’t her first movie. She has several bit part credits, including a scene in The Lavendar Hill Mob, before this.

Gregory Peck’s contract gave him sole credit above the title, but after filming started he went to the producers and asked that Hepburn also get credit above the title. He said, in essence, that he would be the most hated man in Hollywood if she didn’t get title credit as she was that good in the role.

VGThuy

Saw ‘Roman Holiday’ yesterday. Audrey Hepburn was absolutely superb in her very first movie. Not many have won the Oscar in their debut movies (Ben Kingsley comes to mind)

It may have been her first starring role, but it wasn’t her first movie. She has several bit part credits, including a scene in The Lavendar Hill Mob, before this.

Gregory Peck’s contract gave him sole credit above the title, but after filming started he went to the producers and asked that Hepburn also get credit above the title. He said, in essence, that he would be the most hated man in Hollywood if she didn’t get title credit as she was that good in the role.

When I revisit Audrey Hepburn, what comes to my mind is that she must have swept in Hollywood like such a breath of fresh air. I don't think there has been anyone like her before or sense though a lot of people have tried to make their own version of her or made comparisons to her.

Japanfan

The trailers for that new movie about dogs... something about rain... looks pretty stupid too. (The dog wants to be reincarnated as a human and the actor voicing him is horrible.)

The voice-over in 'A Dog's Purpose' was actually very good.

Generally I don't like dog movies where the dog speaks human in voice-over and the dog's perspective is given. One of my favorite dog movies is 'Marley and Me', told from the human perspective. I thought that film imparted a lot of wisdom.

The trailers for that new movie about dogs... something about rain... looks pretty stupid too. (The dog wants to be reincarnated as a human and the actor voicing him is horrible.)

I don’t know much about the story but my reaction to the trailer was cars, dogs, and Milo Ventimiglia, sounds like the perfect date movie :lol: We both love dogs, cars for my husband, and I’ll always be Team Jess ;)

watchthis!!

I'll pass on this film, with no offense to Mr. Rogers intended. Too much sugar is not a good thing.

:slinkaway

What have you heard about Hanks' performance being too over-the-top?

I watched "A Dog's Purpose" on pay-per-view. What a stupid movie. A dog needs several lifetimes to figure out a dog's purpose, which dogs are pretty much born knowing.

:p

I saw that. Made me tear up for sure. But the dog did not need several lifetimes to figure anything out.
The dog needed several lifetimes to help characters in the movie bring about resolutions to their lives.

I wouldn't say it's a stupid movie. It's a sentimental movie made for sentimental movie. For those with personalities that run cool, this movie isn't made for them.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

wait! Is this The Art of Racing In The Rain? It finally got made? Oh I think I need to see this one. I loved the book even though I cried my eyes out reading it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I wouldn't say it's a stupid movie. It's a sentimental movie made for sentimental movie. For those with personalities that run cool, this movie isn't made for them.
Yes, if someone doesn't like this movie it's because they are a cold bitch. Not because the movie wasn't made very well. Because sentimental movies can never be poorly done. :rolleyes:

watchthis!!

Yes, if someone doesn't like this movie it's because they are a cold bitch. Not because the movie wasn't made very well. Because sentimental movies can never be poorly done. :rolleyes:

How would you know that this movie is poorly made? It won't be playing in theatres until August 9th.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I know people will enjoy The Art of Racing in the Rain, I’m not one of them. I’ve also seen the TV spots for it so many times this week I’m ready to boycott it out of sheer aggravation.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw ‘Alone in Berlin’ (2016) on dvd. I thought the main female character looked like Emma Thompson, and it turned out that’s who she was. She becomes the character and is almost unrecognizable. She is outstanding. She and Brendan Gleeson (father of Domnhall Gleeson) play the grieving couple who lost their son in the war, in Nazi Germany. It changes their faith in the Fuehrer and they start secretly leaving cards with messages against Hitler - a very dangerous thing to do. The movie is dark, scary and sad,but never boring. It is based on a true story. The acting was very good, by the two main actors, and by Daniel Bruehl who plays the police detective trying to catch the suspect.

The background score by Alexandre Desplat is wonderful but it was ruined by horrible subtitles (e.g. calm music, sad music, etc. appearing on the screen, and ‘birds chirping, crow cawing, etc. on the screen). Normally I don’t have a problem watching a movie with or without the subtitles, but I thought this was a German movie so I selected the English subtitles. Every character spoke English and for sometime I wondered if it was dubbed, but it wasn’t. It really was an English language film. Once I got stuck with the subtitles I tried to ignore them but couldn’t.

Other than that, this is a wonderful movie. 9/10. I was shocked when I saw it had only 6.5 on imdb.

Last edited:

misskarne

Yes it is racing in the rain. I’m not a dog person movie goer but I will go see it because I’m a milo fan. Love him.

The book was recommended to me as a motorsport fan, as the entire story is effectively metaphors for motor racing and the sub-plot is Denny's fledgling racing career. It's a gorgeous story but also very sad.

Japanfan

Here's the trailer for 'The Art of Racing in the Rain'.

I'll watch it for sure, although on Pay-Per-View, not in the theater. I'm a sucker for dog movies period, but if the dog is a golden retriever, I'm done for.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Just saw "Once upon a time in Hollywood". Meh. Each of the lead actors got one or two decent scenes. Margot Robbie was barely there. Wayyyyy too long and meandering; he could have easily cut off 20-30 minutes. And the ending was anticlimactic. Bleh. 4/10 maybe just for the two leads being good.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw ‘Alone in Berlin’ (2016) on dvd. I thought the main female character looked like Emma Thompson, and it turned out that’s who she was. She becomes the character and is almost unrecognizable. She is outstanding. She and Brendan Gleeson (father of Domnhall Gleeson) play the grieving couple who lost their son in the war, in Nazi Germany. It changes their faith in the Fuehrer and they start secretly leaving cards with messages against Hitler - a very dangerous thing to do. The movie is dark, scary and sad,but never boring. It is based on a true story. The acting was very good, by the two main actors, and by Daniel Bruehl who plays the police detective trying to catch the suspect.

The background score by Alexandre Desplat is wonderful but it was ruined by horrible subtitles (e.g. calm music, sad music, etc. appearing on the screen, and ‘birds chirping, crow cawing, etc. on the screen). Normally I don’t have a problem watching a movie with or without the subtitles, but I thought this was a German movie so I selected the English subtitles. Every character spoke English and for sometime I wondered if it was dubbed, but it wasn’t. It really was an English language film. Once I got stuck with the subtitles I tried to ignore them but couldn’t.

Other than that, this is a wonderful movie. 9/10. I was shocked when I saw it had only 6.5 on imdb.

Quoting my own post-

When I told a friend about the subtitles describing the music, or the birds chirping,she said the subtitles are for those who cannot hear. They describe it to them. It made a lot of sense.

misskarne

Quoting my own post-

When I told a friend about the subtitles describing the music, or the birds chirping,she said the subtitles are for those who cannot hear. They describe it to them. It made a lot of sense.

....what did you think they were for?

VGThuy

Usually movies have multiple English subtitle options, one for the hard of hearing and another one that's just dialogue, which is what most people are used to having. Some movies don't have options though.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
....what did you think they were for?

If you read my original post -

I thought it was a German language movie so I turned on the English subtitles.

So the answer to your question - for translation.

Always ready to jump on others without reading the context. That’s FSU, not just You.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

I saw this a while ago. I thought was good too.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I got to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood tonight. Was in Toronto so will have seen it before it starts in Australia.

I really enjoyed it and feel it is best movie for quite a while. I tend to agree with others who thinks it drags in places. I do think it works best when there is dialogue because it is the interaction between characters that makes it and Tarantino does great dialogue. I think DiCaprio and Pitt were great. I was laughing quite a bit. My favourite scene

Where the young girl and DiCaprio were talking about the story he was reading and also the scene where he threatened to shoot her. Those worked very well.

I felt the end was very good and tied it all in nicely.

There were a few other things I noticed which I am sure were deliberately put in

Brad Pitt's car looked the same as Uma Thurman's in Kill Bill
The scene where the girl in the pool is thrashing about reminded me of Terminator 2

BTW - there was a Whilhelm Scream in there. I had to laugh when I heard it. Recently a friend of mine showed me a clip on Youtube of all the Whilhelm Screams in movies. I don't think I could miss it now.

canbelto

I saw it tonight as well. Overall really enjoyed it. Leo and Brad were great and that scene at the Spahn ranch was amazing. Parker Love Bowling’s scene with Leo was also great.

watchthis!!

Kidnapping Mr. Heineken is a very good movie, it's about five men who kidnap the beer company tycoon. They end up receiving the largest ransom ever paid out. Jim Sturgess, Sam Worthington and Ryan Kwanten (True Blood) play three of the five kidnappers. Anthony Hopkins plays Heineken. Everything about the movie is well done, fantastic script, great performances and spot-on direction. But for some reason the movie was not released theatrically in North America. Very strange, not sure what anyone could want more from a movie than what this one gives up. 100% recommended.

Trailer for Kidnapping Mr. Heineken: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=He-z_L1rGEA

I saw ‘Alone in Berlin’ (2016) on dvd...
This was a great movie. :40beers:

I also thought Zoe Bell was hilarious.

There's a 2004 documentary (Double Dare) that looks at the lives of two of Hollywood's stuntwomen. Zoe Bell is one of them. I've never forgotten about her since seeing this movie!

Trailer for Double Dare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmoD97dEAuM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information