2018 Fall-Spring TV New/Returning Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

manhn

A Million Little Things is exactly the type of show I will always always watch. I love serialized dramas featuring yuppies. Is it as good as This is Us? Not even, but I will continue to watch. People can have mediocre medical and legal dramas, I don't need every soap opera to be some prestige drama.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Well, I learned what happened with Christine after going to her Wikipedia page. I knew she had done some solo albums and I have her 1984 album entitled "Christine McVie" that includes her hit 'Got a Hold On Me which made it to #10 on the charts in the U.S.

According to her Wiki page, Christine semi-retired for 15 years in 1998 after she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Fleetwood Mac and also received the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music. In September of 2013, she rejoined Fleetwood Mac and appeared on stage at London's O2 Arena.

I'm so glad she returned because Fleetwood Mac didn't seem complete without her at the 2004 concert in Boston.

Christine McVie - Wikipedia.

I'm also watching the concert again on AXSTV, and Stevie is singing Rhiannon. (y)

ballettmaus

The idea is great, but the writing is kind of cliche'd. Not one, but TWO characters who simply can't say, "I thought you had passed away...in the last five years, I've moved on and have found a new partner".

But I think that it's far more complicated than having moved on when it comes to the wife. They were married for 15 years. He was the guy she thought she was going to be with for the rest of her life. I don't think that you just move on from such a relationship and that you just stop loving your husband and flip a switch. I think it's very likely that she still feels something for him and that she now has to sort everything out.

That said, I wish they'd left her single.

PeterG

But I think that it's far more complicated than having moved on when it comes to the wife. They were married for 15 years. He was the guy she thought she was going to be with for the rest of her life. I don't think that you just move on from such a relationship and that you just stop loving your husband and flip a switch. I think it's very likely that she still feels something for him and that she now has to sort everything out.

I don't disagree with anything you've said here. But when you truly love someobody, you're honest with them. And when does hiding something as important as having a new boyfriend from your husband EVER work out well?? I can't believe she's sleeping every night with her newly returned husband while having a boyfriend on the side. Yucky. :(

Well, I learned what happened with Christine after going to her Wikipedia page...

...according to her Wiki page, Christine semi-retired for 15 years in 1998...

True Fleetwood Mac fans knew this.

;) :p

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I don't disagree with anything you've said here. But when you truly love someobody, you're honest with them. And when does hiding something as important as having a new boyfriend from your husband EVER work out well?? I can't believe she's sleeping every night with her newly returned husband while having a boyfriend on the side. Yucky. :(

True Fleetwood Mac fans knew this.

;) :p
You know how much I love Fleetwood Mac! Now you're being bad and sassy! :rofl: :love: :rockstar:

PeterG

I thought New Amsterdam was very strong. Top-notch writing, direction and acting. But about 3/4 of the way through, I wondered if I'd tune in for episode two because there was so much story, all very dramatic and I thought, "they need to slow things down at time and give us a chance to breathe". I need to feel a connection to at least a few of the characters to want to continue with a show. And about that time, they finally did slow things down and there was a nice intereaction between the lead character and the media-savvy top doc. So I'm giving episode two a chance. :)

sk8pics

I thought New Amsterdam was very strong. Top-notch writing, direction and acting. But about 3/4 of the way through, I wondered if I'd tune in for episode two because there was so much story, all very dramatic and I thought, "they need to slow things down at time and give us a chance to breathe". I need to feel a connection to at least a few of the characters to want to continue with a show. And about that time, they finally did slow things down and there was a nice intereaction between the lead character and the media-savvy top doc. So I'm giving episode two a chance. :)
I liked it too, but felt like I needed to catch my breath, especially when we found out the lead character has a serious illness. I'll give it a chance for a few weeks, probably.

skatingguy

decently
The thing with New Amsterdam, and with a lot of shows, is that I wish they wouldn't make their big reveals so obvious.

Japanfan

We're watching a rather strange new Australian/Tasmanian series called 'The Kettering Incident'.

Aliens appear to be pertinent to the story-line.

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
New/Returning Shows for the week Sunday September 30/2018 - Saturday October 06/2018: https://www.cinemablend.com/televis...re-schedule-dates-for-new-and-returning-shows

Sunday, September 30
7 p.m. - America's Funniest Home Videos Season 29 - ABC
7:30 p.m. - 60 Minutes Season 51 - CBS
8 p.m. - The Simpsons Season 30 - Fox
8 p.m. - BELIEVE ME: THE LISA MCVEY STORY (TV Movie) - Lifetime
8:30 p.m. - Bob's Burgers Season 9 - Fox
8:30 p.m. - GOD FRIENDED ME - CBS
9 p.m. - Family Guy Season 17 - Fox
9 p.m. - Poldark Season 4 - PBS
9:30 p.m. - NCIS: Los Angeles Season 10 - CBS
9:30 p.m. - REL - Fox (Time Slot Premiere)

Monday, October 1
8 p.m. - THE NEIGHBORHOOD - CBS
8:30 p.m. - HAPPY TOGETHER - CBS

Wednesday, October 3
9 p.m. - SEAL Team Season 2 - CBS
10 p.m. - Criminal Minds Season 14 - CBS

Thursday, October 4
8 p.m. - Superstore Season 4 - NBC
8:30 p.m. - The Good Place Season 2 - NBC (Time Slot Premiere)
9 p.m. - Will & Grace Season 10 - NBC
9:01 p.m. - Station 19 Season 2 - ABC
9:30 p.m. - I FEEL BAD - NBC
10 p.m. - Law & Order: SVU Season 20 - NBC (Time Slot Premiere)

Friday, October 5
12:01 a.m. PT - INTO THE DARK (Anthology Series) - Hulu
12:01 a.m. PT - The Man in the High Castle Season 3 - Amazon
8 p.m. - Fresh Off the Boat Season 5 - ABC
8:30 p.m. - Speechless Season 3 - ABC
9 p.m. - Child Support Season 2 - ABC
9 p.m. - IRRECONCILABLE DIFFERENCES - Reelz

Saturday, October 6
10 p.m. - Versailles Season 3 - Ovation

Please post any updates I may have missed.

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
IMO The first 3 episodes of "American Horror Story: Apocalypse" have been amazing. Especially the last scenes of Episode 3.

And "Fear the Walking Dead" has gotten much better since they killed off most of the original cast. :EVILLE::cheer2::rofl:
I love the addition of Jenna Elfman, Maggie Grace and Mo Collins. I actually like most of the cast now. Jim Brauer :wuzrobbed

Last edited:

Japanfan

And "Fear the Walking Dead" has gotten much better since they killed off most of the original cast. :EVILLE::cheer2::rofl:
I love the addition of Jenna Elfman, Maggie Grace and Mo Collins.

I haven't found that, particularly. I watch the show because as a huge fan of The Walking Dead, I'm somewhat interested in the general themes and story-lines.

I don't think that the acting in this series is anywhere near as good as the original, nor the scripts. And I don't find I am invested in any of the characters - non can compete with Rick Grimes or Daryl or Carol (even Father Gabriel).

I do like Coleman Domingo, but he alone cannot carry the show.

And they killed off my favorite character, Mr. El Salvador (Reuben Blades). I like his daughter as well, but we've not seen her at all in recent episodes.

Looking forward to the Final Rick Grimes Episodes starting Oct. 7. I'm sure they'll give him a heroic send-off.

ballettmaus

I totally agree with you on this. I also agree that she should be honest with her husband. Maybe though, she doesn't know how to tell him? He lost 5 years of his life and at the same time, his reality is that they weren't separated for more than a few hours and they have their kid to worry about, too. I do think they need to sit down and talk though and I also think that if it happens in the next episode then it's still okay. The question is if it will happen.

Susan1

New/Returning Shows for the week Sunday September 30/2018 - Saturday October 06/2018: https://www.cinemablend.com/televis...re-schedule-dates-for-new-and-returning-shows

Sunday, September 30
7:30 p.m. - 60 Minutes Season 51 - CBS

Please post any updates I may have missed.

My usual Paul McCartney alert! I happened to see a commercial for it during Survivor or Big Brother or something or I wouldn't even think about 60 Minutes. I've already set the DVR and added 30 minutes for football run over so I don't miss anything. Although, there doesn't seem to be anything good to watch on Sunday nights anymore anyway. I can save that for my DVR'd Chicago block.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Finally got around to watching Murphy Brown. Neither Mr. Mac nor I were impressed. The writing seemed so forced and the laugh track was jarring. Plus there was too much plastic surgery on display. I find overly obvious face lifts to be very visually distracting.

BaileyCatts

Finally got around to watching Murphy Brown. Neither Mr. Mac nor I were impressed. The writing seemed so forced and the laugh track was jarring. Plus there was too much plastic surgery on display. I find overly obvious face lifts to be very visually distracting.

Totally agree with you. I decided to record it and give it a shot since I loved Murphy Brown in the 90s, but I'm all in on the ABC schedule Thursday nights so it would be weekend watching. I thought it was horrible and could barely make it thru the whole show. Way way WAY too forced, the acting was just bad, and they totally missed the mark on the political humor stuff. Will and Grace know how to do political humor. This was just whining. One less thing to record for me! I'm out. :p

BaileyCatts

New guy on Lethal Weapon = :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Glad I’m not the only one who was impressed by the new guy on Lethal Weapon.
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/lethal-weapon-season-3-riggs-dead-episode-1-spoilers-1202006530/

I have to admit that even though I was totally #TeamClayne during the whole drama (and will always believe it was due purely to Damon's jealousy of Clayne), I tend to agree here. I was leaning toward not watching anymore (because I'm petty that way :lol:), but I do like the show and wanted to see how they handled Martin. Its almost like this script was already written with Martin Riggs in mind, and they just put in some background story to explain the new guy, but the writing is still the Lethal Weapon that's been cultivated the last 2 seasons and it was like it was Martin and Roger during all those cop scenes. And Cole is very Martin-like in his delivery (which is why I think the first few scripts were probably already written before all the drama, or at least they had it story boarded into the next season), and it all flowed very well and it did kind of seamlessly move the story forward. Although I would have liked to seen a proper goodbye for Martin with a funeral versus moving from "I'm sorry" to "six months later" all in 25 seconds. It could have just been like 5 minutes with all the characters at his grave site, but I'm guessing Damon put the kibosh on any kind memorial for Martin (yes, I'm still bitter :p), but whatever. And even though I loved Clayne and Martin, the new guy is not so bad. But they need to steer clear of having him be an emotionally broken man like Martin was and just making him a copy of Martin's story. In conclusion, they did a good job appeasing me. I'm in. :rofl:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
So I finally got caught up on a some of my shows that I didn't get to watch live this week and I continue to love The Good Place. That was SO funny and I'm glad the four of them are together again even though they don't remember each other at all. I also loved the Goldbergs which made me laugh out loud SO many times. That show continues to be my favorite comedy that always manages to hit me right in the feels. :cheer: Just finished watching A Million Little Things too and that one had me hooked by the funeral scene. I totally didn't see those twists coming at all so I'm very interested in seeing how things play out over the course of the season. :)

BaileyCatts

So I finally got caught up on a some of my shows that I didn't get to watch live this week and I continue to love The Good Place. That was SO funny and I'm glad the four of them are together again even though they don't remember each other at all.

Who was the guy the Devil brought in at the end to mess up the foursome? I know he's from the previous season, but I don't remember who his character was?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
All three returning shows in the last two seasons (Will & Grace, Roseanne, and now Murphy Brown) are heavily focused on being relevant in the current political climate, or at least they started off that way. Will & Grace's return premiere, to me, was not good at all because that's all it focused on. But as they shifted back into what made them so good originally, it got better.

I watched the Murphy Brown premiere and I wasn't impressed, either. We will see if it can shift. I get that in both cases, it helps shape storylines, but I got the idea that MB kinda ran with the Roseanne success from last season and tried to go the same direction, if that makes sense.

People aren't into all of these retro things (whether it be TV shows or game consoles or whatever else) because they want something dramatically new. They want more of the same from when it left off.

PeterG

I totally agree with you on this. I also agree that she should be honest with her husband. Maybe though, she doesn't know how to tell him? He lost 5 years of his life and at the same time, his reality is that they weren't separated for more than a few hours and they have their kid to worry about, too. I do think they need to sit down and talk though and I also think that if it happens in the next episode then it's still okay. The question is if it will happen.

Oh, there's no easy way to break the news. In my 20's (and maybe my 30's), this struggle would have been something I would have struggled with as well. Now I'm an old 55 and I figure it's just to blurt out whatever you have to say, get it out in the open, and then start working on the clean-up. :D

And they killed off my favorite character, Mr. El Salvador (Reuben Blades). I like his daughter as well, but we've not seen her at all in recent episodes.

When we saw her wander off into the sunset, I thought, "how long would it take someone to walk all the way to Georgia"?

And "Fear the Walking Dead" has gotten much better since they killed off most of the original cast.:EVILLE::cheer2::rofl:

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Last edited:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Who was the guy the Devil brought in at the end to mess up the foursome? I know he's from the previous season, but I don't remember who his character was?

His name is Trevor but I was wondering the same thing about him and I can't seem to find the answer to that question either. Can someone here help us out?! :eek:

PeterG

Just watched the first episode of the new Magnum, P.I. with Jay Hernandez, who was the main (only) reason I watched the show. Solely because he is stunningly beautiful. The Hawaiian scenery was quite lovely as well. The show was fun enough, but not really my thing. But I imagine people who like a P.I. show with beautiful people in beautiful locations driving beautiful cars, which doesn't take itself too seriously, will really enjoy this show. :)

LeafOnTheWind

I believe he played the demon that was supposed to bring Eleanor to the bad place when everyone still thought Michael was one of the good guys. He arrived with his bad demons and the bad Janet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information