Canadian Olympic Figure Skating Team Announced; also World/4CC/Junior World teams

aftershocks

Banned Member
Yes I never bought that excuse at all, especially who she traded him in for.
It was obviously a private matter that she didn't want to share with the whole world. Who knows what goes on in day to day partnerships?

Yeah? Butt well there's enuf drama in figure skating, without creating additional scenarios out of one's own imagination. :p :COP:

honey

I love I/M but her side by side jumps are a joke and always have been. I can't understand how a skater with that much skill can't learn how to rotate at least one triple. She must have landed a handful of clean side by sides in this whole Oly cycle. The same when she was skating with Maisuradze.

What I find interesting is that in the 2014/2015 season, Lubov actually had a decent success rate with her jumps. It was after that season that the jumps seemed to become much more fragile, and more like when she was with Maisuradze. I'm not sure what this could be attributed to. Maybe more time spent on the pair elements in a new partnership or maybe the pressure to land the jumps became greater. Who knows...

vesperholly

What I find interesting is that in the 2014/2015 season, Lubov actually had a decent success rate with her jumps. It was after that season that the jumps seemed to become much more fragile, and more like when she was with Maisuradze. I'm not sure what this could be attributed to. Maybe more time spent on the pair elements in a new partnership or maybe the pressure to land the jumps became greater. Who knows...
Didn't she struggle with anorexia?

WanderlustTO

I'm not going to start quoting a bunch of posts - but re the suggestion that the Canadian team was 'pre-baked' - who is on the team who doesn't deserve to be there? I'm fine with the team.

Personal preference? I wanted Alaine to make it so bad and was really disappointed it didn't end up that way - but I hardly think Larkyn shouldn't be there. Similarly, I get there are many I/M fans who are disappointed - but I really don't see how Skate Canada was wrong in naming MT/M to the team.

I'm happy and excited about this team. Can't wait for the olympics!

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
Ok. I am coming around to Keegan. He deserves the O spot. I see that he is a team player and a happy competitor

But.....he has horrible clothes and costumes. My hope now is that he takes some of his support money and invests in tailor made clothes that fit his body. He doesn't have to change in any way, just find a good tailor

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I'm hardly a big fan of Kevin Reynolds but I do think he was just pretty harshly that Nationals.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Ok. I am coming around to Keegan. He deserves the O spot. I see that he is a team player and a happy competitor

But.....he has horrible clothes and costumes. My hope now is that he takes some of his support money and invests in tailor made clothes that fit his body. He doesn't have to change in any way, just find a good tailor

I imagine it’s hard to find clothes that fit as a 5’4” male in Alaska. If he lived in LA or Japan, finding clothing that fits better and/or good tailors would be a lot easier. Chances are he has to buy kids clothing a lot and since he’s a man not a kid it doesn’t fit right. He’s far from the only one with that problem, I know many guys with the same issue, if you’re 5’7” or under and not jacked, finding clothes that fit is hard, especially dress clothes. Keegan doesn’t strike me as too concerned about fashion anyways, which is fine.

WanderlustTO

If there is a situation where a skater/team who is heavily in contention for a world/olympic medal misses the national podium b/c of a brutal skate, then I'm fine with Skate Canada sticking its thumb on the scale. But the notion it should start intervening over the #3 skater/team is ridiculous.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
As someone who has had to have every garment adjusted all my life , I know how important good fit is.
I'm sure Keegan would not want to be a clothes horse but it would give him a boost to look like a man in man's clothing instead of poorly fitting boy's clothing.
He has just stepped onto the international stage this week!

WildRose

I thought Keegan’s costumes were fine. Charlie Chaplin’s clothes aren’t supposed to fit right:
https://goo.gl/images/CRAKVv

Marco

It was so sad that Alaine won't get to go to PC after also having missed out in 2014. She was smashing at 2016 Nats. I suppose that was too long ago and she hasn't been able to reproduce that magic since.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Do you mean 'judged' pretty harshly? How and where? Kevin two-footed landings and URed some of his jumps. His presentation wasn't strong either.

Yes, judged, thanks.

He had straight negative 3 GOE on his first and third jumping passes, and I don't recall seeing "-3" for urs and two footing one jump in a combination before.

fan

Yes, judged, thanks.

He had straight negative 3 GOE on his first and third jumping passes, and I don't recall seeing "-3" for urs and two footing one jump in a combination before.

negative GOEs are cumulative. So an UR is -1 to -2, and a 2 foot is an automatic -2 . That adds up to-3.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Right, I know that. I just don't recall seeing -3 across the board for similar jumping passes done by other skaters.

barbk

Tessa & Scott were named.

I wonder how that will play with the Team event: split the dance with Piper/Paul?

mag

Tessa & Scott were named.

I wonder how that will play with the Team event: split the dance with Piper/Paul?

I am fairly sure they will split the women and the pairs. Scott and Tessa will do both.

Rafter

So Skate Canada is sending a lady to the Olympics who doesn’t have a 3lutz. It’s rather shocking.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I was not a fan of how they separated the earlier and later groups of skaters for ladies and men, shunting them off to early in the day as if those groups didn't really matter.

(ETA: fixed to ladies and men. )
They've been doing that for a few years - it's all about the TV schedule :(

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think the skate Canada announcement of BOW was in case Patrick ended up 3rd
They don't need a BOW argument: they could do what the Japanese Fed and the German Fed do by putting in a clause that in extraordinary circumstances, they could make an appointment. USFS in 2014 had a clause that only the top 5 or 6 skaters at Nationals would be included in the selection discussion, unless they had reason to include others in the discussion. (I haven't seen the 2017-18 version of this document.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information