Canadian Olympic Figure Skating Team Announced; also World/4CC/Junior World teams

Seerek

Lubov/Dylan were also 4th out of the 4 teams on the Season's Best list with no Grand Prix medals this season. I can't see a Body of Work scenario that could have worked in their favour with a 4th place Nationals result even if incorporating 2017 Worlds/Four Continents results.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
That's not what the announcement says...it says results 2016/17 17/18 plus national results...what a bunch of bullsh**it. They went with national podium after monkeying with some of the marks to make it look closer to who they had decided was going. They got rid of a lot of people at Skate Canada....they need to get rid of more as well as judges who go along with it.

:confused: I'm curious to know who isn't going to the Olympics that you feel deserves to be there. I certainly didn't see anything that deserves a "monkeying with some of the marks" comment. Besides national inflation, there doesn't appear to be any judging that was out of line with performances. YMMV.

ChiquitaBanana

Well now that would also partly explain D/R changing it up for the Olympics season and deciding to part ways with Gauthier to take from John Z/ John K, but with only Bruno as their main coach. Yet probably the main reason they made that switch to train part-time in Florida was to get fresh ideas, a new approach and some spark back into their skating. Gauthier and Bruno may have earlier decided among themselves to give Gauthier the coaching honor in 2014, and then Bruno would coach D/R at their next Olympics (if they made the team, which has never been in question).

That never ever came into consideration in their switch.

ChiquitaBanana

BOW : so much can apply for it. One can have a stellar season and a dismal one the year after. I feel it,s like a baseball player. They might be the best hitter the season before, but they sometimes get caught into a lethargy... Had I/M had an exceptional GP season and skated the way they did at Nationals, they could have had a case... but it was not and the other teams are too close in terms of skills that it would be unfair not to send MT/M. Let say Ruest/Wolfe had the skate of their life and came in 3rd in front of I/M : they would have sent I/M imo.

Olympics are so close to Nationals, you want to see skaters ready to go.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I'm not saying they should have selected I/M based on Worlds 2017. I'm saying there was a reasonable argument based on the most important international event that any Pair but D/R competed in and with Olympic spots at stake and with an injured Radford, which put the third spot at risk.

That's not no BOW argument. It wasn't compelling enough, clearly.

barbarafan

The BOW argument is that they were the highest-ranked Canadian Pairs team at 2017 Worlds and Canada wouldn't have three spots without their result in Helsinki.

and MTM2 had zero results in 2016/2017 due to her concussion. So they did nationals healthy this yr and IM were injured.

barbarafan

MT/M were 3rd at Canadians and 7th at 4CC last year. They only missed fall 2016 events.

I'm gutted for I/M but they were something like 20 points behind MT/M at Nationals.

back to the fact that I/M were marked down by judges...They were 3rd at nationals last year as SB did not compete as they were injured and I/M came 3rd at 4CC last yr.

ChiquitaBanana

and MTM2 had zero results in 2016/2017 due to her concussion. So they did nationals healthy this yr and IM were injured.
Yes, you are right. I am curious as well to understand fully what is your oinion on this topic. They are few names missing in your before-last post so I am confused as whom you think should have made the team.

jmtfti

The fact is there's also no compelling argument against MT/M based on overall results (beyond the strict recent BOW scope), once you discount the rough start. They were able to finish 8th at 2016 Worlds in their second year together, a high enough finish that even absent a 7th place I/M, Canada still would have retained its third spot. This season MT/M also won US Classic and medaled at Cup of China; I/M have zero fall 2017 hardware. Tracking season scores for TFTI, I had an inkling of what may happen when I/M were largely stuck in fourth among the pairs.

The pairs event was a difficult one, to see Canada's arguable second-best pair continue to struggle as they have this season, rather than finally return to the form of which they're capable. I'm still sad by the way things transpired. But there's not a great argument that I/M, given their inconsistencies this season, would be more useful to the team event than the now-healthy S/B if Canada chooses to use two pairs, and based strictly on Nationals results, even if one team may have been underscored or another overscored in PCS, I can't quibble with the actual placements based on what was executed.

barbarafan

Yes, you are right. I am curious as well to understand fully what is your oinion on this topic. They are few names missing in your before-last post so I am confused as whom you think should have made the team.

my opinion is Skate Canada is full of sh**it
They have been saying for 2 days that it is a nationals decision, yet the formal announcement says they are supposed to use 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 and then nationals.I guess they did not think to change the criteria in the announcement on the skate canada site. https://skatecanada.ca/2018/01/canadian-figure-skating-team-named-for-pyeongchang-2018/....Based on who they wanted on the team the judges played with the scores...that is why there is such a large gap.

So D/R and S/B there is no question they should be named to team.
Not so straight forward for the 3rd place.

That is my opinion.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
my opinion is Skate Canada is full of sh**it
They have been saying for 2 days that it is a nationals decision, yet the formal announcement says they are supposed to use 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 and then nationals.I guess they did not think to change the criteria in the announcement on the skate canada site. https://skatecanada.ca/2018/01/canadian-figure-skating-team-named-for-pyeongchang-2018/....Based on who they wanted on the team the judges played with the scores...that is why there is such a large gap.

So D/R and S/B there is no question they should be named to team.
Not so straight forward for the 3rd place.

That is my opinion.
The Judges didn’t have to “play” with the scores, the skaters did that themselves.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Lubov/Dylan were also 4th out of the 4 teams on the Season's Best list with no Grand Prix medals this season. I can't see a Body of Work scenario that could have worked in their favour with a 4th place Nationals result even if incorporating 2017 Worlds/Four Continents results.

Obviously. As I mentioned in my post #120, I took further I/M discussion to Cdn pairs thread, but the opining has willfully continued over here for some random and/or cantankerous reasoning. :lol:

Last edited:

mag

Austman over Chartrand. I think they made the right choice.

I too think they made the right choice. I would have been annoyed if she was held up as I know she is a SC favourite. She wasn’t held up any more than anyone else and less than some, she fought through the LP and she absolutely deserves the spot. That said, I don’t think Austman has particularly good Skating Skills for her level and I am fairly sure she will not get an 8.00 internationally;)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
On the other hand, she doesn't deserve a 5 in SS.

She has no renowned coach, she was last at SC, and she's only learned her hardest jumps in the last couple of years. Not the profile to get extra favors from SC.

aftershocks

Banned Member
In terms of skating skills, there's no question in my mind for the 3rd Women's spot.

Oh well, I'll join the continued fray in this thread. You like Austman's skating skills over Chartrand's, or over Chartrand's as well as over all the other Cdn ladies below the top two?

While I don't really follow Cdn ladies beyond the top two, I did watch the ladies performances at Cdn Nationals. Both Austman and Chartrand struggled, although Chartrand's difficulties appear to be emotional or something other than a lack of ability. Chartrand was just unable to get herself back to form technically. Her confidence appears to have taken a huge hit for the past several seasons.

In Austman's case, she has a very nice look on the ice, but I don't think her technical abilities surpass Chartrand's, it's just that Chartrand is not skating the way she can, sadly for her. Austman may have relatively better skating skills than many of the other ladies beyond the top two, and she clearly has a different style than Chartrand that some may find more engaging. However, it was so obvious that Austman had to work hard to stay on her feet with many of those jumps. It's just that Austman's huge desire won out and she landed enough technically to eke past the rest for the third spot.

I doubt Austman is going to fare that well among the international field with her current technical arsenal, but gaining the experience will mean a lot. Skate Canada find themselves in the exceedingly lucky position for their ladies division in having two of the best ladies skaters in the world, which will allow them the advantage of grooming a third lady at major international competitions (something that's been unheard of for Canada in decades). Gabby Daleman improving so much in recent years and coming on strong as a topflight contender, along with Kaetlyn Osmond recovering from injury and building back to top form has meant quite literally the Worlds ladies podium for Canada. We shall see what happens at the Olympics. Ladies with huge talent will be fighting with a similar grit that Austman displayed to make the Cdn team, but also with even more determination and skill equal in some aspects and arguably surpassing in other aspects to that of Daleman and Osmond.

I hope skaters in all the disciplines will perform in ways that will make it very hard for the judges at Olympics and Worlds. :watch: Except I am not looking forward to seeing hide nor hair (make that black spots on a yellow background) of Tarasova/Morosov's bleh and :huh: free program.

Last edited:
Reactions: mag

Seerek

That said, I don’t think Austman has particularly good Skating Skills for her level and I am fairly sure she will not get an 8.00 internationally;)

I'm not as critical, but it must be noted that even at a comparatively smaller event like Nepela earlier in the season, Larkyn looked so tense and had her shoulders rather stiff and hunched throughout her programs. Hopefully, this accomplishment will get her to relax a little more.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Yes, the pressure especially on both Tamura and Austman was very intense, each knowing the high stakes of making the Olympic team. Both faltered, but Tamura ultimately imploded, plus Tamura still has the look of a junior.

Last edited:

mag

On the other hand, she doesn't deserve a 5 in SS.

She has no renowned coach, she was last at SC, and she's only learned her hardest jumps in the last couple of years. Not the profile to get extra favors from SC.

None the less she has. She doesn’t need a renown coach, she has a very well connected family. She is the only female skater, as far as I have been able to find, who has been given an international in the past 2 years, who does not have a 3/3 in the short and long. The fact that she was given Skate Canada over Alicia Pineault after Austman’s usual meltdown at Nepela defies explanation. Would Nationals have been different if Alicia had got that assignment? Obviously we will never know.

I say all this not because she shouldn’t be on the team. She absolutely should be. She went to Nationals and won her spot with sheer grit and determination. But because there have been a number of “oh how hard it has been” stories in the local media which, IMHO, are long on drama and short on truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information