Canadian Olympic Figure Skating Team Announced; also World/4CC/Junior World teams

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don't know anything about her family, nor have I read anything except how she won Juniors, quit after training a short while in Colorado Springs, and then came back: who are they?

coppertop1

Larkyn will be at the Olympics for the experience. No matter how she does, it will be an improvement step. I really feel for Alaine. She was an outside shot for the second berth in 2014 but this year the third spot was hers to win or lose and she lost it. I hope she keeps going. She can still regain her spot on the World Team.

RoseRed

my opinion is Skate Canada is full of sh**it
They have been saying for 2 days that it is a nationals decision, yet the formal announcement says they are supposed to use 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 and then nationals.I guess they did not think to change the criteria in the announcement on the skate canada site. https://skatecanada.ca/2018/01/canadian-figure-skating-team-named-for-pyeongchang-2018/....Based on who they wanted on the team the judges played with the scores...that is why there is such a large gap.

So D/R and S/B there is no question they should be named to team.
Not so straight forward for the 3rd place.

That is my opinion.
And if by they, you mean Rod Black (because he's the only one I heard say that, and I was watching everything), you can't take that as Skate Canada's position. The guy says wrong things about skating all the time. Ted Barton even corrected him when the stream came back on, that it's not just Nationals placements that are the deciding factor. Also, the placements were correct imo. The SBS jumps were a mess for I/M in both programs, she missed a throw, and their lifts were a mess in the FS too, which is where they normally have a big advantage in GOE. And they weren't at their best PCS at all.

aftershocks

Banned Member
... competitiveness is more important than talent, within reason.

I agree in the sense of knowing how to grab opportunities and having enough self-belief and confidence to just go out there and perform to your ability while having a TAKE NO PRISONERS attitude. Too many talented ladies in the U.S. post MK years, can't seem to rise to that level on the gutsy competitor side of things. It ain't easy. But that's a huge reason why Bradie Tennell is such a breath of fresh air for American ladies fans. At Canadian Nationals in the final flight, Tamura seemed overexcited knowing that she just needed to skate clean and she could move ahead of Austman. Sometimes when you want it so bad and its within reach, the intensity can make your muscles forget their memory. But Tamura is young and talented, and she will have other opportunities. She may need to search for a different coach though to help her refine all aspects of her skating and also to sharpen and strengthen her technical side. None of the skating disciplines are going to get easier as the new generation takes over.

Without talent (i.e., for the ladies 3/3s with full rotations, limber body parts, expressive abilities, choosing the right music and choreo, but moreover being sure to strategize for the points by any means necessary), ultimately competitiveness might answer your knock on the door, but it won't get you into the room where (as Jason Brown knows) 'it happens!'

Last edited:
Reactions: mag

aftershocks

Banned Member
I hope she has a blast in Korea!

Heck yeah. Austman still seemed stunned during the Olympic announcement event, so over the next few weeks the reality will begin to settle in. There are probably stages to the excitement of being an Olympian. I can't even imagine the rush of emotions walking into the Olympic stadium and feeling all that combined energy and emotion of all the athletes.

At this point Austman and so many of the new Olympians who don't hold the pressure of contending for medals, have little to lose and so much to gain. That's a ripe circumstance for just soaking up the experience of a lifetime.

Thanks - Sarah Tamura. I copied the misspelling from someone else.

screech

Larkyn will be at the Olympics for the experience. No matter how she does, it will be an improvement step. I really feel for Alaine. She was an outside shot for the second berth in 2014 but this year the third spot was hers to win or lose and she lost it. I hope she keeps going. She can still regain her spot on the World Team.
I'm thinking her go at the O's will be similar to Liam Firus in 2014 - absolutely no shot of really doing anything (he came 28th - second last) but having the great experience.

Of course, she's one step above Liam, though, in that he had the O's minimum but not Worlds. Larkyn has both.

manhn

When it comes to the BOW argument, I am much more sympathetic when the skater in question has an actual body of work. I am much less convinced when the gist of the BOW argument is that "Well, the other skater is. just. so. bad."

Erin

Banned Member
But because there have been a number of “oh how hard it has been” stories in the local media which, IMHO, are long on drama and short on truth.

Care to share more details on this?

Japanfan

When it comes to the BOW argument, I am much more sympathetic when the skater in question has an actual body of work. I am much less convinced when the gist of the BOW argument is that "Well, the other skater is. just. so. bad."

Like when Firus gave his spot to Nam, and Nam bombed.

fsfann

back to the fact that I/M were marked down by judges...They were 3rd at nationals last year as SB did not compete as they were injured and I/M came 3rd at 4CC last yr.

How were they marked down? They had NO triple jumps, a botched lift, and a fall on a throw. 4 major mistakes. Their programs really weren't anything special this year (like programs of the past). MTM2 had one error in the FS (and it was minor compared to the 4 that IM had.) I just don't see how anyone can say that I/M were marked down by the judges. The marks that they received were the marks they deserved, IMO.

manhn

Kaillie Humphries and V&M would be the clear cut choices, IMO, but I wasn't sure if any of the skaters doing the Team Event will even participate in the Opening Ceremony. And Kaillie was already flag bearer for the 2014 Closing Ceremony.

screech

The pairs/mens SP is from 10am-1:30pm, and the opening ceremonies are from 8-10pm, with no skating the following day.

Meagan posted the link to the predictions on her facebook, so I highly doubt she'd turn it down if it were offered. Of the two teams, though, I definitely think V/M would be a better pick.

Also, another cute picture of the team heading to the O's, as shared on Team Canada's instagram page
And this one from Kaetlyn's instagram

mag

Please no flag bearing for V&M or D&H, we know how that worked out for Brian Orser and Kurt Browning!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I don't know anything about her family, nor have I read anything except how she won Juniors, quit after training a short while in Colorado Springs, and then came back: who are they?

Her mother Heather (who also used to coach her) was Canadian novice champion in 1974. Also competed nationally as a junior and a senior.

WildRose

Kaillie Humphries and V&M would be the clear cut choices, IMO, but I wasn't sure if any of the skaters doing the Team Event will even participate in the Opening Ceremony. And Kaillie was already flag bearer for the 2014 Closing Ceremony.

Agreed, Virtue and Moir would definitely be the best choice since Kaillie has done the closing. I think I saw somewhere V&M wanted to march in the Opening ceremonies but I could be totally wrong.

skatingguy

decently
I think Mikael Kingsbury's made a pretty good case to be the flag bearer, given his winning streak and utter dominance of men's moguls in the past four years.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Here's a picture of the 2014 Canadian Olympic figure skating team.
https://skatecanada.ca/2014/01/sochi-2014-canadian-olympic-figure-skating-team-announced/

I didn't recall that Gabby attended those Olympics. It must have been a great experience for her and perhaps a confidence-building turning point in her development. The prior Olympic experience should be helpful for Kaetlyn too. But KO has to figure out how to manage her nerves during crunch moments and 'knockout' the competition time.

coppertop1

Here's a picture of the 2014 Canadian Olympic figure skating team.
https://skatecanada.ca/2014/01/sochi-2014-canadian-olympic-figure-skating-team-announced/

I didn't recall that Gabby attended those Olympics. It must have been a great experience for her and perhaps a confidence-building turning point in her development. The prior Olympic experience should be helpful for Kaetlyn too. But KO has to figure out how to manage her nerves during crunch moments and 'knockout' the competition time.

Gabby finished 17th in Sochi. It was definitely great experience and she considering it was her major debut at the senior level, she did pretty well. Kaetlyn was plagued by injuries that season. Great that she's healthy this time. Part of the reason we have two contenders is timing. Kaetlyn and Gabby were still teenagers. They were young and still inexperienced. Now, they're at their peak.

SLIVER

I love I/M but her side by side jumps are a joke and always have been. I can't understand how a skater with that much skill can't learn how to rotate at least one triple. She must have landed a handful of clean side by sides in this whole Oly cycle. The same when she was skating with Maisuradze.

I still think MT made the mistake of her life, I am convinced they would have medalled at worlds by now and probably over taken D/R had she stuck with Dylan.
4th in the world and 4th at olys, it is crazy to break it up (who knows what really happened). They were beating D/R on the component score by the last season.

Marinaro has come such a long long way but he's still quite weak. The lifts are pretty scary and a lot of his toe loops are on 2 feet.

danafan

Canadian ladies über

aftershocks

Banned Member
... it is crazy to break it up (who knows what really happened

Kirsten apparently felt Dylan was not going to continue for another full cycle, much less another two full cycles, which is where her head was at. Dylan may or may not have begun thinking of retirement looming at the time. It's clear from interviews and articles of the time that Dylan was surprised (or said he was) by Kirsten's decision.

And here's an article a few months after the Sochi Olympics which reiterates, as I mentioned above, why Kirsten came to the split decision (in her own words):
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/f...ers-dylan-moscovitch-announce-split-1.2627493
"I'm so proud of what Dylan and I achieved in our five years together, and I do want to thank him for everything we accomplished. We are just at different points in our lives right now. I feel that there is an opportunity for me to keep skating for at least one, maybe two, more Olympic cycles, so I want to pursue those options. My plan is to look for the partner who will share in that dream."

However, that's old news and there's no sense in beating a dead horse. Kirsten's choice has been investigated, examined, hashed over, rehashed and litigated in numerous threads here. Kirsten has given interviews, taken the heat and even begged forgiveness and understanding. Both Dylan and Kirsten have long since moved forward and met the consequences of her choice to split up their partnership, whatever the reason (which actually does seem pretty straightforward, however surprising and rankling it appears to still be for some fans).

Marinaro has come such a long long way but he's still quite weak. The lifts are pretty scary and a lot of his toe loops are on 2 feet.

Michael 'Marinara Sauce' is seemingly a very sweet guy, and indeed he has come a very long way. That means he's trainable, adaptable and eager to learn. Plus, Kirsten and Michael are definitely developing an emotional chemistry in their skating. Plus Michael can jump! Something that's pretty cool and sometimes rare for a pairs partner. :p Yep the lifts can be scary. Whoa to his footwork in that last lift in their Cdn Nats fp. :eek: :yikes: At least they were able to laugh about it in the kiss 'n cry. And Kirsten is the one who's in the air trusting her partner to hold on and protect her, no matter what. We aren't in that equation. They seem to be working it out quite well, considering the obstacles when they started out.

Last edited:

SLIVER

Kirsten apparently felt Dylan was not going to continue for another full cycle, much less another two full cycles, which is where her head was at. Dylan may or may not have begun thinking of retirement looming at the time. It's clear from interviews and articles of the time that Dylan was surprised (or said he was) by Kirsten's decision.

And here's an article a few months after the Sochi Olympics which reiterates, as I mentioned above, why Kirsten came to the split decision (in her own words):
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/f...ers-dylan-moscovitch-announce-split-1.2627493
"I'm so proud of what Dylan and I achieved in our five years together, and I do want to thank him for everything we accomplished. We are just at different points in our lives right now. I feel that there is an opportunity for me to keep skating for at least one, maybe two, more Olympic cycles, so I want to pursue those options. My plan is to look for the partner who will share in that dream."

However, that's old news and there's no sense in beating a dead horse. Kirsten's choice has been investigated, examined, hashed over, rehashed and litigated in numerous threads here. Kirsten has given interviews, taken the heat and even begged forgiveness and understanding. Both Dylan and Kirsten have long since moved forward and met the consequences of her choice to split up their partnership, whatever the reason (which actually does seem pretty straightforward, however surprising and rankling it appears to still be for some fans).

Yes I never bought that excuse at all, especially who she traded him in for.
It was obviously a private matter that she didn't want to share with the whole world. Who knows what goes on in day to day partnerships?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information