DWTS Season 24

skatfan

Wow, way to play the race card in a thread about a reality show. If Simone hadn't gone home the finale wouldn't have had a white star. Do you think she got the votes over David but the producers said "we can't have that" & ousted her?

I am saying that because there is a heavy white audience, there hasn't been an all minority final because who votes for who. Kinda like American Idol which favored Southern white guys.

BTW if Normani doesn't win I feel it will be Val's choreography & staging at fault because she has been the leader a lot. I liked their freestyle but it didn't have the impact of David's or Rashad's. But she may move ahead based on her body in that amazing cat suit.

I agree. I kept wondering if Val hadn't been offered a troupe. It wasn't a great dance -wonder if the reported ankle injury factored into what we saw.

love skating

Clueless American
Yay for Rashad and Emma! I was shocked at Normani in third. Guess you can't trust twitter. From day one anytime I looked up DWTS on twitter it was all posts about Normani. And yes that finale was way way too long!

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
I thought the ending was horrible.

Here's your mirror ball...but you can't celebrate with your friends. Instead we are going to get on this stupid looking golf cart for no real reason, to go outside so that nobody gets to see you celebrate with your friends because we will run out of time! Whee!

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Two seasons from now (next spring) will be time for a figure skater (and other winter Olys athletes) - I wonder who.... :)

I heard next spring is going to be a junior DWTS instead of the regular one with kid celebrities and kids of celebrities. Not sure if that's definite or a rumor.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I am saying that because there is a heavy white audience, there hasn't been an all minority final because who votes for who. Kinda like American Idol which favored Southern white guys.

Do you vote for whites? Sounds like you're the biased one here. Final 3 had 1 white & 2 blacks so it seems like a heavy white audience isn't as biased as you think. I don't particularly want an all white or an all minority finale - I want the best or the most entertaining to be in the finale regardless of race.

Debbie S

DWTS Junior sounds like a very bad idea. Didn't SYTYCD try a kids version and the ratings tanked? And DWTS is even less about the dancing and more about the drama and backstories and that won't work well with kids. (And I don't want to see Len making a little kid cry!)

I wonder why they chose spring...are the ratings worse in spring than fall so they felt compelled to try something new?

But the timing is too bad for winter Olympians...the show would be a chance for some athletes in the more obscure sports (like Paralympic snowboarding) to be in the spotlight. People may remember the figure skaters but the others will be old news by the fall.

pixie cut

Too many threads to quote in my responses, so I'll just list my points.

I definitely think Normani's ankle injury hampered plans for the freestyle. Not the least bit surprised she finished third.

The ending is always horrible. More than two hours of fluff and then the winner is basically rushed off the stage. The thing with the golf cart was particularly awful.

People associated with the show keep publicly saying that spring 2018 there will be both the regular DWTS and a junior edition. I would say no regular show in the spring means no skaters, but unless a skater wins a gold medal -- and who has a chance other than Nathan Chen -- I don't see the show featuring a skater.

The season Kristi Yamaguchi won DWTS, the three celebrities in the final were Asian American, African American and Hispanic. There goes the theories on a non-white final.

skatesindreams

DWTS Junior sounds like a very bad idea. Didn't SYTYCD try a kids version and the ratings tanked? And DWTS is even less about the dancing and more about the drama and backstories and that won't work well with kids.
I share your concerns.
I'd like to be mistaken.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
My tivo shows a celebrity episode of American Ninja Warrior for charity next week. Derek Hough is one of the celebs. Ashton Eaton is also one of the celebs. He could be an interesting contestant on DWTS if he's willing to do it.

Debbie S

I would say no regular show in the spring means no skaters, but unless a skater wins a gold medal -- and who has a chance other than Nathan Chen -- I don't see the show featuring a skater.
Well, if Nancy Kerrigan can get on DWTS 20+ years after her *silver* medal.... ;) Winning the OGM would dramatically increase the chances of a skater being featured, but I don't think it's a requirement. Laurie Hernandez and Aly Raisman won gold as part of the team, but not individually. Figure skating is the top-rated sport of the winter Olys and any American who medals, or even has a great performance, is going to stand out in their mind.

ETA: Ooops, forgot about Aly's floor gold in London.

Last edited:

Erin

Banned Member
DWTS Junior sounds like a very bad idea. Didn't SYTYCD try a kids version and the ratings tanked? And DWTS is even less about the dancing and more about the drama and backstories and that won't work well with kids. (And I don't want to see Len making a little kid cry!)

I don't know about SYTYCD, but American Idol tried it with American Juniors and that's exactly what happened. (Side Trivia note - actress Lucy Hale got her start on that show so at least something came of it)

pixie cut

Well, if Nancy Kerrigan can get on DWTS 20+ years after her *silver* medal.... ;) Winning the OGM would dramatically increase the chances of a skater being featured, but I don't think it's a requirement. Laurie Hernandez and Aly Raisman won gold as part of the team, but not individually. Figure skating is the top-rated sport of the winter Olys and any American who medals, or even has a great performance, is going to stand out in their mind.

Aly came out of London with two gold medals.

Nancy has a certain renown beyond her athletic accomplishments. Plus, there has been attention lately due to the Tonya Harding movie being made. Her getting on the show is quite different than a skater who gets bronze in 2018.

VGThuy

There's always a first time for everything. But then a gold medal always helps.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
The Cubs played their game last night while the show was happening. I'd be shocked if they didn't announce in the stadium to have everybody call in votes.

Twice this season, there was a rain delay during the DWTS broadcast, and they put the show up on the jumbo-trons at Wrigley Field while David and Lindsay were dancing. Those who never watched the show probably voted then.

There was also a rain delay last night, but there were no fan votes last night, right?

Susan1

Agreed. All this skipping between the outside with random musical numbers is too much. Luckily I had a bunch of household chores tonight so I could get them done and check in once in a while.

ETA: Even David looked surprised at that elimination.

I DVRd the whole thing, saw who won this morning. Do I need to even FF through it all to get to dancing?

screech

Val has always kind of struggled with the freestyle. And I read that apparently the last few seasons for the fusion round in the finale, he's been given the exact same 2 dances to fuse.

Really shows his limitations.

I used to like Val but he's become a bit too much for me. Maks has the cockiness as well, but has a bit more to back it up. And also has the sense of humour to go with it.

ALAN AS A PRO NEXT SEASON PLEASE!!!!

Debbie S

I thought Val did great freestyles for Laurie and Zendaya. The ones he did for Normani and Rumer were more stripped-down, which can work (as it did for Rumer and also for Meryl/Maks). I think the problem with Normani's is that the others were doing big production-type numbers and sandwiched in between, Normani's looked dull (although I didn't think it was).

Agree, Alan should totally be a pro next season.

Ladida

Congratulation to Rashad, he is well deserved winner! :40beers:

I find this season very boring, I didn´t like the choreos much, I can´t remember any dance worth of replaying.

I honestly think that they should Val cut off the show, if Mark neither Derek are coming back, he seems to comfortable and the first half of the season he can comfortable "phone it in", because he has a fan base which will push him into week 7 without much effort. Or give him a very challenging partner, someone like Jessica Long or female veteran would be nice for a change. Producers have been giving talented partners since season 15 it is time for some diversity.

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
I heard next spring is going to be a junior DWTS instead of the regular one with kid celebrities and kids of celebrities. Not sure if that's definite or a rumor.

I hate this idea. Replacing it with a junior edition will bleed the ratings pretty bad once the regular DWTS comes back on. Viewers don't like change from the normal, and a show as old as DWTS can't really afford to be drastically changing things and expecting people to catch on. (I wouldn't watch a junior edition, for one.) Case in point: Amazing Race doing a family edition and afterwards never getting even close to the ratings numbers they had in the seasons before. I think this would be a better idea for a summer series, but those who watch a regular season, then a junior season, then another regular season would get pretty burnt out of DWTS by year's end.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I DVRd the whole thing, saw who won this morning. Do I need to even FF through it all to get to dancing?

Frankly none of the fusion dances grabbed me. I did like seeing Charo's guitar number and the encore numbers from some of the eliminated contestants.

Firedancer

Congratulations to Rashad! He had a great season, including a great freestyle!

SYTYCD did have a kids season. It was terrible and they are going back to the adult format this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information