Khodorovski's interview with Kolyada

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Boris Khodorovski's interview with Michael Kolyada for ria.ru

BK: What will you do at the 1st channel cup?
MK: I train the usual: work on the jumps, polish the programmes, work on the choreography. In Saransk my LP will be a `Nutcracker' and the LP `A White crow'. As for the jumping competition - am waiting from Mishin's instructions.

BK: You've been working with Mishin for 2 years now. Did you have a conversation on what is next?
MK: Yes, and think Mishin was happy. Said he likes working with me. I dont' want to retire, I like skating.

BK: Many think at the age of 27 it's hard to get on a new level and even more so to hang around for 4 years till the next Olympics
MK: I actually feel I have not reached my potential yet. It's also impossible to predict how will figure skating develop in the near future. There are talks about various directions. No one writes off an option the technical and the artistical parts will be separated. Say, in gymnastics there is an all around and the personal competitions, where different athletes compete. Figure skating might come to the same. My coach and I will be developing according to what will happen with the sport.

BM: Assume you were the ISU president and were to decide how will figure skating develop what would be your suggestion?
MK: I can't imagine myself being a high profile functioner. One would need the appropriate education, experience, and authority that come with the age. No one would allow me to become one now and I'd rather not speculate `what would I do if I were...'

BM: 4 years ago Chen didn't listen to anyone in Korea and went for the highest content in his SP and ended up without a medal. Now he is more experienced and wise and won the so long wanted Olympic gold. Looking back now would you have changed anything in your preparations to the Korea Olympics?
MK: Of course. If I could give today's brains to back then Kolyada I would have changed a lot of things. Just that one can't.

BM: The Olympics is really a special competition that can not be compared to the Worlds?
MK: For me Kore is the only experience and back then I indeed felt a huge difference. I felt like the whole humanity's destiny was depending on me. I crashed under that responsibility. Now I think differently.

BM: The lack of flag, anthem and the `OAR' - did you feel it?
MK: For me it didn't matter. Of course it's an honour competing with your flag, but it's much worse when the Russian athletes are not allowed to compete at all. It's not fair.

BM: You were named the only reason for the team event 2018 defeat, though it was really hard to beat the unbeatable team Canada. How did you overcome it and when did you let it go?
MK: I did let it go a bit, but I still feel the heavy responsibility.

BM: Some think the coaching change for you was initiated by the federation, some point on Mishin who needed a 100% candidate to the Olympics team. Can we close that issue for once and tell about your switch from Chebotareva to Mishin?
MK: It was my decision which I thought about for a while. After I made the decision I found Mishin's phone number. After my call Mishin took some time to consider. 3 days later we were calling the federation to make the switch official.

BM: Did you doubt?
MK: It was hard to notify Chebotareva, who I owe so much. She brought me from the children level to the Worlds medal. She invested so much time, energy and soul in me! I don't know whether I would invest so much in that Kolyada with his moods. I am so grateful to Chebotareva for all she had done for me. I switched to Mishin with a decent technique and Mishin is always notifying her impact on me and always appreciates it.

BM: Was the training process switch easy?
MK: First it felt like I changed jobs. Later I learned I changed everything: from the schedule to the methods of work, from the off ice to the choreography. The switch was hard, but I don't want to discuss the details. After about half a year working with Mishin there were no more hardships.

BM: When did feel your team mate Semenenko is a real rival for the spot in the team?
MK: From the very first day.

BM: During the Olympic season you, as the winner Chen changed both programmes. Last season which was partial due to the соvid you skated a gorgeous programme `The white crow'. Why did you need a new one?
MK: I don't even recall whose idea it was to choreograph `The Schindler's list' for the Olympic season. Mishin or Nikita Mikhailov. But I had a very strong feeling `The white crow' will not remain. I assumed we would change the SP as well. Guess I did want to change something.

BM: Many liked your version of `The Schindler's list'. You didn't want to be compared to Jason Brown who kept his music from the last season?
MK: We competed one after the other in Espoo and everyone asked whose `Schindler's list' is better and how do I feel? How? Ok! At some point Mishin just said `that's it, we are going back to the Crow'.

BM: The fans in the social networks who know absolutely everything assumed not competing at the Europeans was a strategic move. Was the injury that prevented you from going to Tallinn that serious?
MK: Unfortunately you can't do our sport without the injuries. Instead of going to Tallinn I had to go to the physio. I didn't want to risk it taking the Olympic odds.

BM: What was the first reaction on the positive соvid test?
MK: Shock. I did the test right before going to Krasnoyarsk. I felt fine! I was hoping the next test would be negative. I did the first just in case so I could go to the training camp calmly. I was not able to produce a negative test before it was time to go to china.

BM: Did you watch the competition in Beijing?
MK: Figure skating- some. I sank so deep and didn't want to touch that wound again. It was the first Olympics I was not following. Everyone around me were watching, discussing but it went above my head. There are moments when you want just to get into your shell.

BM: Recently a Belgian choreographer Adam Solya came to St. Petersburg to work on the new programmes with Semenenko and Tuktamysheva. He thought very highly of your `White crow'. Did you watch him working?
MK: I don't watch anyone during the practices. Am fully focused on myself and my work. Besides, it's more interesting to see the finished programme rather than the choregraphing process. I had a chance to work with many choreographers, including Lambiel and Averbukh. Each has a different approach and a different vision of me in the character.

BM: In the long run will you be a choreographer or a technical coach?
MK: Am not even thinking of the long run yet. I want to work and be a good competing skater. I'm interested both in choreographing and working on the technique. I don't know how will it work out.

BM: Do you follow your fan groups and your haters in the social networks?
MK: Now I don't even open the social networks. In the sea of positivity there is always a small negative thought that will cause a lot of stress. I'd rather distance myself and not waste my energy in vain. Especially now when so many scary things happen in the world.

BM: Can figure skating save the world?
MK: Figure skating is an art which brings beauty. People who come to watch figure skating, ballet, the art exhibitions can get away from the negativity that comes from everywhere. They can enjoy the beauty, which, as we know, can save the world.

Elka

I think it will take some time before he can compete internationally again.

Every time I see this heading I read it Khodorkovsky's ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information