UPDATED/CONFIRMED: Evgenia Medvedeva leaving Tutberidze for Orser

barbarafan

Seems given all that has transpired, the exact right decision for her.
Can't wait to see what Orser and his team bring to the table.
Shae Lynn as choreographer please!

It is David Wilson. Maybe they could use Shae Lynn for the short or even the exhibition programs.Give Med a chance to recover, get healthy and strong and start from there,

skateboy

skatfan

He should start with being respectful towards her previous coach and all choreographers she worked with. Because he has a long way to grow to be at Medvedeva’s programs level” *spits out drink at keyboard*

Someone forgot to take his meds. LOL. Ilia, Brian's team came out with 2 Olympic medals in singles too. Plus, Brian isn't a choreographer, and omg you actually think Med's programs are really amazing.

Ditto to all who are amazed that Trankov is a voice of reason here.

Red Hot Chili Keegan

Banned Member

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The idea that Medvedeva could do this entirely on her own with no one in the Russian Fed involved is pretty laughable, even it was her idea. Perhaps Tutberidze's real beef is with the Fed for enabling the change without Tutberidze knowing, but it's not as if even Tutberidze would bite that giant mitt directly. Medvedeva is a much easier target.

snoopy

The idea that Medvedeva could do this entirely on her own with no one in the Russian Fed involved is pretty laughable, even it was her idea. Perhaps Tutberidze's real beef is with the Fed for enabling the change without Tutberidze knowing, but it's not as if even Tutberidze would bite that giant mitt directly. Medvedeva is a much easier target.

This. And I would love to know who in the Russian Fed facilitated it. Wheee!

MAXSwagg

I wonder what Mama Tursynbaeva has to say about these new developments (daughter’s new rinkmate)?

Tursynbaeva who? Tursy has no power anywhere. Lol

I don’t know why people are “shocked” at Max. He has always been reasonable and unbiased.

Averbukh is a complete joke.

Last edited:

alexikeguchi

The idea that Medvedeva could do this entirely on her own with no one in the Russian Fed involved is pretty laughable

I agree wholeheartedly, and this is why I think the move and training in Canada won't be too detrimental to Med's domestic results. I wonder if the Fed is getting fed up with Eteri's drama as well. No one can argue with her results at the junior level, but I wonder how TPTB feel about investing in skaters who have a senior shelf life of one to two seasons tops. And it's getting kind of old that it's always the fault of the skater or their over-involved mother when their career fizzles. I don't know any of the people involved personally, but all reports and indications are that Med is very well-mannered, likable, and easy to get along with. I bet she has a lot of support lined up behind her.

GreatLakesGal

I agree wholeheartedly, and this is why I think the move and training in Canada won't be too detrimental to Med's domestic results. I wonder if the Fed is getting fed up with Eteri's drama as well. No one can argue with her results at the junior level, but I wonder how TPTB feel about investing in skaters who have a senior shelf life of one to two seasons tops. And it's getting kind of old that it's always the fault of the skater or their over-involved mother when their career fizzles. I don't know any of the people involved personally, but all reports and indications are that Med is very well-mannered, likable, and easy to get along with. I bet she has a lot of support lined up behind her.

I don't know anything about the Russian Federation but, if Eteri can keep producing young skaters who continue to win Senior Worlds and the Olympics, why would they care how long their shelf life is? I would think their bottom line is the same as that of all the major skating federations: It's all about the medals.

danibellerika

I don't know anything about the Russian Federation but, if Eteri can keep producing young skaters who continue to win Senior Worlds and the Olympics, why would they care how long their shelf life is? I would think their bottom line is the same as that of all the major skating federations: It's all about the medals.
While I'm sure they'll take the W's how they can get them, I think they also see the value in having skaters that actually have a legacy, like a Plushenko. I think they are open to letting that possibility play out. I'm not Russian but I know it's always nice to like a skater because I like them and can enjoy them for years to come, not just because they have the same flag as I do and can win.

ChiquitaBanana

I was born and raised in Russia (it was actually USSR then) but I've lived in the US for over 20 years now. IMO, Zhenya has done all that's required of her in this situation. She has publicly thanked her former coach and has said only positive things about her. I think Eteri's problem isn't that she wasn't thanked in person but that she wasn't told in person that Zhenya was leaving. But I think in a complex sensitive situation like this, it isn't always possible to tell the coach in person. As a mature adult, Eteri should be able to understand this but she doesn't seem to be willing to.

It looks like Medvedeva would fear Eteri’s reactions and it seems she was right. It is always hard to leave someone who has/had so much power on you and was a motherly figure.

becca

While I'm sure they'll take the W's how they can get them, I think they also see the value in having skaters that actually have a legacy, like a Plushenko. I think they are open to letting that possibility play out. I'm not Russian but I know it's always nice to like a skater because I like them and can enjoy them for years to come, not just because they have the same flag as I do and can win.
There's value in having a veteran skater you can rely on to deliver good results every time. As we saw at Worlds this year. There's no guarantee with the juniors how long they will last. Med's past puberty too. I don't think its a case of Russia NOT wanting an established star.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Eteri isn't done yet. Apparently she was on TV again this morning saying that she hopes Evgenia has the decency to come by, give flowers (those flowers again!) and say thank you.
"Of course, I wouldn't like to see her for the first time at a Grand Prix but rather that she had the decency to come by, give me flowers and I don't know, say thank you. That's one. And two, unfortunately this isn't a new situation for me. I'd already run into athletes who left me." said Tutberidze live on Channel One.
https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20180509/1136623068.html

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I have seen coaches who cause massive problems for skaters because the skater decide to make a change, whether that be just seeking another opinion or changing who they want to learn from. People change, move on and in Medvedeva's case just probably grown up and is seeking new inspiration to take her to the next level. The problem is when the coach takes it personally rather than acknowledging that it is just time. For the skater it is like leaving a job and starting a new one.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Can someone enlighten me here? Unless I'm way off base, Orser has never been the choreographer for his students, correct? (Just as Eteri isn't the choreographer for hers... it's done by Averbukh and others, no?)
Tutberidze did choreograph for her skaters. At least according to the wiki page Medvedeva skated her programmes on the junior level.

On a different matter - am not certain Bourne's choreography would suit the Russians. Radionova skated a Bourne's choreographed programme and being as much of a diva as she is I couldn't help thinking I wish someone less stiff would do that choreo. Like Wagner

MsZem

I see the sea
If I had to pick a Canadian choreographer for Medvedeva, I'd go with Buttle or Nichol. Nichol is capable of great work with the right inspiration (see Kostner) and I feel like she and Medvedeva might surprise us.

But even Wilson would be a welcome change.

poths

Interesting comments from Orser regarding the lack of athlete autonomy in the Tuts group. She would want to change that fast if she plans on lasting in the sport. The ideal motivational climate affords the athlete choice and autonomy over their training. If that is removed, all that's left is winning. And when they lose....the motivation to continue fades. Fast. If Tut is to learn anything it's to change that motivational climate in her group and give the athlete some level of authority. Her 'abusive' feedback is another huge problem in terms of motivation but ...one thing at a time.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
This assumes that Tutberidze is interested in her athletes’ longevity. I see no evidence that she’s interested in anything but results. She has called skaters “material” to work with as well as “product” before. You don’t ask your material or product what they would like to skate to or how they would like to develop artistically. You look for product and replace material when it stops delivering.

poths

I can't fault Averbukh for standing up for his choreographic process. We know that Med got Lip's hand-me-down program as an early senior, but after that, the programs were designed for her. If he thinks that Orser is misrepresenting the situation, he has every right to say it.
For her. Not with her. Asking for some input after everything has already been decided is pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information