UPDATED/CONFIRMED: Evgenia Medvedeva leaving Tutberidze for Orser

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
No, you don't. Which is why there are very few skaters with multiple titles. I just take each season as they come. I enjoy the Russian junios and don't fret that they might lose their jumps when they are seniors. What happens happens. I, too, really like Kostotnaia and Gubanova, but if they don't succeed in seniors, they don' t. If they have one season of wins, that's what they have.
I have to admit I am sweating a bit for Kostornaia because if I were to make a perfect skater, she would skate exactly like her. So hoping I will not have to let go of that. Le sigh.

Bellanca

I am by no means a fan of Evgenia Medvedeva. In this case, she doesn’t even need any defence - I have seen very few blame her. Eteri, on the other hand, did break quite a few ethical rules with that revelation. That’s what most people are on about, without them necessarily belonging to that fan base.

What’s your point? Don’t let this grow into an international warfare in figure skating? It won’t. Brian will probably never learn he’s been challenged by Eteri, and even if he does, he’ll continue doing his thing, he won’t be bothered by it. Now the next interesting thing is what Eteri does to surpass him, so to speak. So I’ve got my bags of popcorn full for the next season.
Actually, I had been speaking recently with a source who is acquainted with Averbukh, who has since commented on this entire situation which prompted my posts today, but let me just mention this:

If Eteri chose to go out and talk about the split with Med, and she did, so what? You’ve taken her to task for it…
It was Eteri’s choice, albeit maybe not the most politically correct, appropriate decision in the eyes of some, to represent herself, etc., but she’s still free to talk about it and answer any and all questions in any way she feels like.

Evgenia is not a little girl, she’s been so mature re this split, according to many, until it’s convenient for her to be, e.g., Eteri is picking on this sweet little girl.

Also, why does it predictably become such a drama-filled big deal followed by a healthy ott reaction to mention the fact that Evgenia has people guiding her through this? That’s not a personal swipe or an insult, it’s a fact. Every athlete does to a certain extent. Why so incredulous and defensive when this topic has been raised?

No one has to like or approve of how Eteri has handled all of this, and you’ve been free to express as much. However, to have such a defensive reaction to a poster mentioning anything that is viewed as being somehow unfair or even hinting at Evgenia being anything less than a saint in this situation has been nothing short of comical. It’s fandom that has gone entirely over-the-top or merely getting too caught up in something that will eventually pass. The truth (usually) lies somewhere in the middle.

I mean, c’mon, they'll both survive and continue to witness and enjoy future success. The only difference now is it will be apart from one another.
Yeah, I have my popcorn set aside, too!
:watch: We'll all have to eventually agree to disagree on many points, or else this thread goes completely :gallopin1. I think it already has! :lol: :barrel

BTW, @Fairuza, my response is also addressing a few posters and not just yourself, but for the sake of time, I condensed it all in my reply to you. Apologies.

IceAlisa

Actually, I had been speaking recently with a source who is acquainted with Averbukh, who has since commented on this entire situation which prompted my posts today, but let me just mention this:

If Eteri chose to go out and talk about the split with Med, and she did, so what?
It was a poor choice, albeit part of a pattern. I think TAT said it best that it was a betrayal of trust to show texts and reveal what may have been said in the heat of the moment and IN PRIVATE. Eteri could have said she is hurt and disappointed but she went with broadcasting intimate details to the world.

And while Eteri and Ilya are foaming at the mouth, Med and Brian are taking a high road. Both Eteri and Ilya attacked Brian but he responded with compassion for Eteri's plight as a coach. It's a great lesson in PR do's and don't.

Bellanca

It was a poor choice, albeit part of a pattern. I think TAT said it best that it was a betrayal of trust to show texts and reveal what may have been said in the heat of the moment and IN PRIVATE. Eteri could have said she is hurt and disappointed but she went with broadcasting intimate details to the world.

And while Eteri and Ilya are foaming at the mouth, Med and Brian are taking a high road. Both Eteri and Ilya attacked Brian but he responded with compassion for Eteri's plight as a coach. It's a great lesson in PR do's and don't.
Well, everyone is pretty familiar by now with how Eteri rolls. She has an edge. ALL coaches play the PR game. Some are sly like a fox. ;)

Bellanca

You are acting really bizarrely. What am I trying?
Then don't. Posters (and there are plenty posting here @ FSU) that have sources are not going to start dropping names because you've asked them to. Plain and simple.

Fairuza

Then it’s probably not worth hinting you know better than anyone else, is it?
Oh, I wish Eteri knew the notion of PR - that might make her think twice before she reveals something. But she did play a subtle political game there - or not so subtle - adding fuel to the already simmering discontent of general public with the western countries. So I don’t know whether she lost it or not - quite a few people might have interpreted the whole debacle as the traitor Medvedeva not being able to cope with her loss and betraying a Russian coach and going over to the Canadian who had dared to criticise her girls jumping quads.
Unfortunately, I have no way of finding out whether someone did interpret it like that - but then general intention of that news spot was just that.

IceAlisa

Then it’s probably not worth hinting you know better than anyone else, is it?
Oh, I wish Eteri knew the notion of PR - that might make her think twice before she reveals something. But she did play a subtle political game there - or not so subtle - adding fuel to the already simmering discontent of general public with the western countries. So I don’t know whether she lost it or not - quite a few people might have interpreted the whole debacle as the traitor Medvedeva not being able to cope with her loss and betraying a Russian coach and going over to the Canadian who had dared to criticise her girls jumping quads.
Unfortunately, I have no way of finding out whether someone did interpret it like that - but then general intention of that news spot was just that.
I've seen a few comments on social media that suggested a disappointment and betrayal but thankfully they are few and far between.

Fairuza

I've seen a few comments on social media that suggested a disappointment and betrayal but thankfully they are few and far between.
Well, most people don’t watch figure skating to begin with, so they just won’t care. Most of those who are fans of the sport were not fooled by it, I suppose.

Bellanca

^ :sekret: :yawn: SS fatigue? Yeah, well, that’s not the only thing that is exhausting. :p Rest up, Doctor's orders. ;) Or, try the ignore option, it’s there for a reason. (y)
Sorry for the thread drift, folks... Back to skater leaves coach drama. :watch:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^ :sekret::yawn: SS fatigue? Yeah, well, that’s not the only thing that is exhausting. :p Rest up, Doctor's orders. ;) Or, try the ignore option, it’s there for a reason. (y)
Sorry for the thread drift, folks... Back to skater leaves coach drama. :watch:

:rolleyes: :duh:
:violin:

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Are you talking about yourself in third person now? The sekret source claim is so tired btw.
I'm not going to show ignored content and see to whom you're asking these questions. Instead, I'm going to imagine they are directed at Eteri.

"Eteri has no time for attitude of Zhenya unless she come groveling back to Sambo with Chanel flowers given in large crystal vase fill with Stolichnaya," Tutberidze told the Russian media this afternoon.

I think one of Janny's programs next season should be a cautionary tale about plastic surgery set to "Unpretty" by TLC with Pete Burns voiceovers.

Bellanca

I don't believe anyone is or has suggested that Eteri's behavior or actions are the ideal template to follow when parting ways with a student/skater. Many coaches find themselves having to walk a fine line because more often than not they are dealing with very impressionable, youthful people and their families which can be pretty challenging day after day. Many coaches over the years have suffered PR stumbles when these splits happen. They're human, too and sometimes they make mistakes.

Frank, Rafael and even Brian Orser... who recently commented that he understands and can relate to how Eteri and her team are feeling because he also felt and experienced those emotions after Yuna parted ways with him. I think he probably gets it more than most.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member

Phil Hersh fanning the drama. :drama:

The sport is often a drama fest, but aside from Hersh doing the job of quoting Orser et al, and covering the drama, Hersh is also adding to it by rehashing/mashing past events. Of course many coaches, including Orser, have experienced the uncomfortable drama of students leaving him (and sometimes break-ups are mutually desired, or in fact precipitated by the coach, e.g. Frank Carroll and Timothy Goebel). Dramatic coach/ skater break-ups are never pleasant.

However, I personally do not see the connection Hersh is attempting to make between Orser/ Yuna Kim split and Eteri/ Medvedeva split. IMHO, while the Orser/Kim situation spiraled out of control, and Orser may look back and wish he could have managed some things differently, the circumstances, personalities and behavioral reactions are not that similar. To my recall, Orser was hurt and he responded in a confused and defensive way, but I don't recall him purposefully revealing private confidences shared with his former student. Kim's mother was a huge factor in the Kim/ Orser split, while in the current situation, apparently Eteri is the controlling mother figure as well as the demanding coach. I also think Kim and Med have completely different personalities. The reasons and circumstances surrounding the splits are also different.

In addition, while Orser may be closer to a smart fox than to an innocent bystander, the reality is he's mostly a passionate and skilled coach (and a former champion skater) who has expertise in guiding talented athletes to winning results, and to maximizing their potential. He's learned from his mistakes and from his wealth of experience. Orser also has a great support staff. These are the reasons why he's a sought after coach. When Kim left him, Orser was arguably not yet the wily and accomplished coach that Eteri currently is, nor did Orser have the stable of students that Eteri has at her disposal. And obviously the Canadian and Russian federations are very different.

I am the first to tweak and criticize Orser when I feel it's warranted, which is not that often. And I have not been a fawning fan of Med by any means. But I do respect her passion, talent, determination, moxie, and above all, her courage and her professional attitude.

I don't know a lot about Eteri, except what I've read and what I've seen of her at competitions. I disagree with some of her strategies and tactics as a coach, but she obviously has been successful. She will surely continue to succeed in achieving winning results with her skaters. Hopefully moving forward, Eteri will use this experience as a learning opportunity, and refrain from directing further petty bitterness toward Evgenia.

Last edited:

lala

I like Orser as a coach as a person thus I don't wish him that Evgenia to leave him like she did with Eteri . But I wonder what would happen here....;)

IceAlisa

I like Orser as a coach as a person thus I don't wish him that Evgenia to leave him like she did with Eteri . But I wonder what would happen here....;)
They haven't even started working together yet. Also we really don't know everything that went on between Eteri and Evgenia. We'd only heard one side of the story and it's unlikely we will hear the other.

analia

All this Eteri-bashing is so bizarre. Evgenia (and it seems like everyone on this board) knows what kind of person she is. I remember Voronov once called her a hot-tempered southern woman no point arguing with. We've all met those in life. They aren't going to keep quiet. Evgenia, having been with Eteri for so many years know exactly what's going to happen and chose to do the parting the hard way, probably because she doesn't want to get yelled at in person. I would do the same and take the tv dirty laundry. Both get what they look for - one to let off some anger, one to come out unscathed after splitting with long-term coach. People say stuff like Eteri should be better at PR as if keeping nice and quiet is the best practice of PR. It might be for Orser, not for Eteri Tutberidze. Eteri lost a top student and comes out ever more not-to-be-messed-with, which is her brand to begin with. In many less passive aggressive countries toughness is considered a wonderful quality, possibly the only important one to have.

bardtoob

I don't know why everyone always seems to forget the fact that JULIA WAS SICK and that her career was not going anywhere, whichever coach she went to, because she had to drop out and get herself better. You wouldn't think it was that difficult to remember.
@SHARPIE goes off for a brief holiday in Greece, and the whole board goes crazy! :(

I hope Sharpie is doing Greece like Shirley Valentine :summer:

IceAlisa

All this Eteri-bashing is so bizarre. Evgenia (and it seems like everyone on this board) knows what kind of person she is. I remember Voronov once called her a hot-tempered southern woman no point arguing with. We've all met those in life. They aren't going to keep quiet. Evgenia, having been with Eteri for so many years know exactly what's going to happen and chose to do the parting the hard way, probably because she doesn't want to get yelled at in person. I would do the same and take the tv dirty laundry. Both get what they look for - one to let off some anger, one to come out unscathed after splitting with long-term coach. People say stuff like Eteri should be better at PR as if keeping nice and quiet is the best practice of PR. It might be for Orser, not for Eteri Tutberidze. Eteri lost a top student and comes out ever more not-to-be-messed-with, which is her brand to begin with. In many less passive aggressive countries toughness is considered a wonderful quality, possibly the only important one to have.
I am confused. I come from a Southern city in Europe with traditionally temperamental people but I fail to understand how Eteri’s behavior is to be considered tough, let alone a deterrent to future defections. Eteri herself had said this isn’t the first time. And I would guess, not the last.
To me all that carrying on is a sign of weakness and being calm is a sign of strength. Just like not screaming or moaning during a painful procedure is a sign of strength.

Also, there are many ways to go public with your disappointment besides revealing your student’s private information. She could have said a number of things but she chose to show and tell. TAT doesn’t approve of this and calls it a breach of trust—does this make TAT weak?

Finally, once again, we haven’t heard Med’s side of the story.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Now you have papers all around saying Med tried to keep Alina out of the Olympics. It was really selfish thing to do on Eteri's part.

To be fair, Med's comment is understandable. That is, if she did in fact make it and it has been translated correctly.

She probably said something to the effect of "I wish you'd kept her in Juniors", given that she made the comment at the Olympics IIRC.

She started the season as the favorite for Olympic Gold, and was supplanted by a skater younger than her. She had probably gotten comfortable with the notion that the OG medal was her's, and along comes an upstart. It's not surprising that she may have felt Zags rained on her parade.

Of course it would be have better for her to have not made that comment. But she's young and was emotional when she made it, so I think she can be forgiven.

I guess the coach is feeling very emotional about the situation as well. I think that she too can be forgiven and doesn't merit the harsh criticism she's getting in this thread.

Skaters and coaches are human, after all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information