Foolhardy Ham Lint

Isabeau's short program music for the Olympic Season. Let's make it happen!

Sylvia

TBD
So how will the 3 U.S. women finish at Skate Canada Int'l later today? From USFS' recap:
With a score of 65.19, [Audrey] Shin trails Rino Matsuike of Japan in third by just over one point. Skating to "Pina" by Thom Hanreich and "Lilies of the Valley" and "All Names" by Jun Miyake, Shin earned positive grades of execution on all of her elements, opening with a well-executed triple toe loop-triple toe loop combination and earning Level 4 on each of her spins and her step sequence.
Lindsay Thorngren and Starr Andrews finished less than one point apart, ending day one in fifth and sixth with scores of 61.99 and 61.07, respectively.
ETA - I enjoyed my first viewing of Lindsay's SP to Windmills of Your Mind by Venus, choreographed by Sandra Bezic - 4 photos by Mao Yanzheng, including one of her deeply arched Ina Bauer! https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy7jFaKO9Pc/

Here's a Fan Zone article by Rachel Lutz that was published before Starr competed at Skate Canada International:
Confirmation that Starr's FS music is Lea Michele's Glee cover:
Longtime coach Derrick Delmore choreographed Andrews' free skate, set to the "Glee" cover of "Being Good Isn't Good Enough."
"It's a beautiful program," Andrews said. "Listening to the music just makes me smile. I watched 'Glee,' and I love Rachel Berry. She's a drama queen. I was happy to be able to turn this into a program."
As I posted earlier, she skated to this version of the song at the Peggy Fleming Trophy in July 2021.

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

Lindsay Thornton has improved so much as a skater. She`s lovely lines and better skating skills this last year. If she hadn`t had the unders she would have had a tech score of 73 and might have been on the podium. I know that`s a big if but she deserves more attention than I think she gets. She was the top American here.

I`m not the uber type but maybe someone could create a thread for her.

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Season Best Total Scores of 159+ as of Oct. 16, 2023 (Sherry Zhang & Annika Chao are the ones competing Junior domestically):

5Isabeau LEVITOUSAISU CS Nebelhorn Trophy 202323/09/2023198.79S
14Bradie TENNELLUSAISU CS Budapest Trophy 202315/10/2023185.84S
24Elyce LIN-GRACEYUSAISU JGP Istanbul 202308/09/2023179.16J
32Sherry ZHANGUSAISU JGP Armenian Cup 202306/10/2023175.18J
34Ava Marie ZIEGLERUSAISU CS Finlandia Trophy 202308/10/2023173.60S
37Clare SEOUSAISU CS Budapest Trophy 202315/10/2023171.94S
43Audrey SHINUSAISU CS Autumn Classic 202315/09/2023169.04S
45Sarah EVERHARDTUSAISU JGP PGE Solidarity Cup 202329/09/2023168.69J
53Annika CHAOUSAISU JGP Bangkok 202325/08/2023164.04J
64Sonja HILMERUSAISU CS Nebelhorn Trophy 202323/09/2023160.13S
65Mia KALINUSAISU JGP Osaka 202316/09/2023159.93J

ISU Season Best Total Scores of 171+ updated after Skate Canada International (Oct. 28):
4Isabeau LEVITOUSAISU GP Skate America 2023 - 2nd22/10/2023208.15S
16Amber GLENNUSAISU GP Skate America 2023 - 5th22/10/2023189.63S
17Lindsay THORNGRENUSAISU GP Skate Canada International 2023 - 5th28/10/2023189.52S
20Bradie TENNELLUSAISU CS Budapest Trophy 2023 - 1st15/10/2023185.84S
29Elyce LIN-GRACEYUSAISU JGP Istanbul 2023 - 4th [176.11 at JGP ARM, 2nd]08/09/2023179.16J
33Audrey SHINUSAISU GP Skate Canada International 2023 - 7th28/10/2023177.14S
39Sherry ZHANGUSAISU JGP Armenian Cup 2023 - 3rd06/10/2023175.18J
40Starr ANDREWSUSAISU GP Skate Canada International 2023 - 8th28/10/2023174.82S
42Ava Marie ZIEGLERUSAISU CS Finlandia Trophy 2023 - 5th08/10/2023173.60S
45Clare SEOUSAISU CS Budapest Trophy 2023 - 3rd15/10/2023171.94S

Top 5 ISU SB SP scores as of today:
4Amber GLENNUSAISU GP Skate America 202321/10/202371.45S
8Isabeau LEVITOUSAISU GP Skate America 202321/10/202370.07S
16Audrey SHINUSAISU GP Skate Canada International 202327/10/202365.19S
17Bradie TENNELLUSAISU CS Budapest Trophy 202314/10/202365.09S
18Ava Marie ZIEGLERUSAISU CS Finlandia Trophy 202306/10/202365.07S

Top 6 ISU SB FS scores as of today:
4Isabeau LEVITOUSAISU GP Skate America 202322/10/2023138.08S
13Lindsay THORNGRENUSAISU GP Skate Canada International 202328/10/2023127.53S
21Bradie TENNELLUSAISU CS Budapest Trophy 202315/10/2023120.75S
24Elyce LIN-GRACEYUSAISU JGP Istanbul 202308/09/2023119.41J
29Amber GLENNUSAISU GP Skate America 202322/10/2023118.18S
37Sherry ZHANGUSAISU JGP Armenian Cup 202306/10/2023114.66J

Last edited:

Allskate

I enjoyed my first viewing of Lindsay's SP to Windmills of Your Mind by Venus, choreographed by Sandra Bezic
This already is my favorite program of Lindsay's. I think they did a great job picking music that fits her on ice demeanor.

For some reason, though, I found myself thinking about how Yuka Sato would have skated to this song. She was so good skating to slower, quieter, and gentler music.

Jammers

Lindsay has so much potential with how she skated here at SCI her skating skills are improved and her speed is a bit better too i put her in the top 4 of US ladies sorry but it's not going to happen for Audrey with her underrotated jumps or Starr and her 1980's jump content. Lindsay needs to rotate those jumps though to break through at US Nats. What i do wish for Lindsay though is she didn't skate so deliberately and by the book but had more attack in her skating.

layman

Lindsay Thornton has improved so much as a skater. She`s lovely lines and better skating skills this last year. If she hadn`t had the unders she would have had a tech score of 73 and might have been on the podium. I know that`s a big if but she deserves more attention than I think she gets. She was the top American here.

I`m not the uber type but maybe someone could create a thread for her.
Is there any way to teach a skater to pull in tighter and rotate faster? I think Lindsay has excellent natural spring but she does not pull in tight enough to the get the rocket rotations that some skaters (like Isabeau) are able to achieve.

I think if Lindsay could learn to pull in tighter (and quicker) and rotate faster, it would instantly clean up her unders.

Last edited:

layman

Lindsay has so much potential with how she skated here at SCI her skating skills are improved and her speed is a bit better too i put her in the top 4 of US ladies sorry but it's not going to happen for Audrey with her underrotated jumps or Starr and her 1980's jump content. Lindsay needs to rotate those jumps though to break through at US Nats. What i do wish for Lindsay though is she didn't skate so deliberately and by the book but had more attack in her skating.
I think Starr did quite well for "1980's jump content." She got the 3 flip back into the LP (she did two of them, one in combination) and she did two 3 loops (her best jump; both in combination). So I think she is adding the technical content back (like we saw with Carolina Kostner). She just needs to work on cleaning up those jump landings. She got quartered (there were no under calls though) on almost everything and it killed her score.

SkateFanBerlin

Is there any way to teach a skater to pull in tighter and rotate faster? I think Lindsay has excellent natural spring but she does not pull in tight enough to the get the rocket rotations that some skaters (like Isabeau) are able to achieve.

I think if Lindsay could learn to pull in tighter (and quicker) and rotate faster, it would instantly clean up her unders.
I see the spring also. Probably not the same thing but her split jump is impressive - high for someone with long legs.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I'm glad to see Starr getting the 3 Flip back in successfully. One of the biggest knocks against her as a skater has been her jump content, so if she can improve there, she's much more likely to be successful.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
This already is my favorite program of Lindsay's. I think they did a great job picking music that fits her on ice demeanor.

Totally agree. My only thing with her is her nearly constant unhappy look. She always seems to display how unhappy she is IMO and if she could at least fake it and show some happiness I could get into her even more.

bladesofgorey

Totally agree. My only thing with her is her nearly constant unhappy look. She always seems to display how unhappy she is IMO and if she could at least fake it and show some happiness I could get into her even more.
She's not unhappy during competitions and on camera, she's anxious. Part of that is just her natural expression too. She's not a dour person irl at all, she's just somewhat introverted which adds to her coming across as very serious/shy on tv.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

She's not unhappy during competitions and on camera, she's anxious. Part of that is just her natural expression too. She's not a dour person irl at all, she's just somewhat introverted which adds to her coming across as very serious/shy on tv.

hmmmm I dunno..her Lea S, and occasionally alexia P just always seem so unhappy

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
lol I saw people saying the same thing about Torgashev at skam and I didn't get that impression at all (that he is miserable skating). He just seems a bit introverted, but I thought he had fabulous expression. It's just not as big as others 🤷‍♀️

peibeck

Simply looking
I posted something last season about hearing how naturally introverted Thorngren is, which is why I am thrilled with her artistic progress this season.

In comparison, it's more surprising to have seen the USFS fluff where Torgashev described himself as introverted, because even as a junior his performance skills were off the charts. However, maybe being an artistic, talented male who does figure skating has made for a tough life outside of skating when he was growing up in FL? I know we can be snarky online here, but kids who are so addicted to social media can be a million times worse.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
There weren't many women doing triple flips in the 1980's, let alone two in the same program. :shuffle:

Maybe Starr could've challenged Jill Trenary or Holly Cook, but she wouldn't have held a candle to the likes of Yamaguchi, Harding, or Kerrigan. She has no lutz, and her flip is not consistent. Her jump content is closer to what was done in the 1980s than it is to the current era. Maybe it's more 1991-92 than 80s if we want to be technical.

Trillian

FWIW, this is exactly how Lindsay has always come across to me. I’ve never gotten an unhappy vibe, but I do think the anxiety has been apparent at times to a degree that gets in the way of performance. That’s something I have no doubt she can overcome.

In general, I’ve been so struck by how much Lindsay has developed the rest of her skating beyond the jumps over the last few years. It’s one of the most impressive transformations I’ve seen and I would imagine it’s a testament her work ethic and willingness to listen to feedback. I’m excited to see how she does this season.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I can't find the exact tweet, but Starr mentioned at SC that she'd had another heart surgery over the summer. So frankly, 1980s content or not, I think what she put down this weekend was pretty impressive.

when it was commentated on this week I had no idea…..

Sylvia

TBD
I can't find the exact tweet, but Starr mentioned at SC that she'd had another heart surgery over the summer.
The info originally came from this article that I posted before Skate Canada: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...-looks-toward-more-medals-and-world-team.aspx
When she was finally ready to kick off the season, she had another heart surgery for two different types of tachycardia [link to Starr's June 9th IG post] that she has dealt with for over a decade.
"It's nice to know that I'm diagnosed and I know what I have," she said. "Before, I didn't know what it was."
By early July, she finally had programs, but normally she would be competing by July, along with everyone else at her rink.
ETA for @morqet - Golden Skate quoted Starr after her SP in the mixed zone via their X/Insta accounts: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy6v7rpvsy5/
I had to undergo another heart surgery this summer so I got into the season a little later. So I am just getting back into competition mode and we will see how it goes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information