Status
Not open for further replies.

ice coverage

Olympic figure skating champion Sarah Hughes files to run for Congress

Excerpt:​
Sarah Hughes, the 2002 Olympic figure skating champion, filed paperwork on Monday to run for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives.​
Hughes, 38, filed to run as a Democrat in the 2024 election for the Republican-held New York 4th District, which is adjacent to the district that includes her hometown of Great Neck.​
“Born and raised on Long Island, Sarah is concerned about where we’re headed, whether it’s rising prices, public safety and gun violence, or threats to women’s health,” a spokesperson said in an email. “She’s putting the pieces into place to make an announcement in the next few weeks.”​

May 15, 2023, 8:55 PM EDT​

ETA:​
Her campaign website:

Last edited:

Debbie S

Interesting. Sarah is currently an MBA student at Stanford, has 1 year left. I guess she could complete the degree in time to run, but she does need to establish residency in the district. Anyway, interesting to see where this goes. I know nothing about NY politics...how likely is it that she'd flip the seat? She could just be running to get her feet wet.

Trillian

The 4th was held by a Democrat for almost 25 years until the last election. It also voted for Biden.

My son, who’s a political junkie college student (and had no idea who Sarah was until I sent him the article 5 minutes ago) texted back that the only other person who’s planning to run as a Democrat so far is the candidate who lost last time. [Eta: he actually said the only other “prominent” person, so maybe there are others.] So if no one else jumps in, I’d have to guess she’s a legit contender.

jiejie

Interesting. Sarah is currently an MBA student at Stanford, has 1 year left. I guess she could complete the degree in time to run, but she does need to establish residency in the district. Anyway, interesting to see where this goes. I know nothing about NY politics...how likely is it that she'd flip the seat? She could just be running to get her feet wet.
Just because she is getting a degree in California doesn't mean she established legal residency there. Almost certainly, she has never given up her New York residence status and is therefore eligible to represent the district where her NY home base is. More of an issue is trying to finish an MBA while campaigning, on opposite coasts. Stanford MBAs aren't exactly something you can do online and remote.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
I'm most stunned by the fact that she's getting an MBA on top of a law degree. Overachiever. :lol:

No, just someone born into excessive wealth and privilege with options others don't have. Nice life, to dodder around in school forever and then buy a seat in Congress. I'm rooting for D'Esposito to hold his seat. Of course, Hughes may end up with an ambassadorship or some other bullshit job if the Dems survive (which hopefully they don't).

Debbie S

Almost certainly, she has never given up her New York residence status and is therefore eligible to represent the district where her NY home base is.
Sarah lived in NYC/Manhattan. And the article says the district (on Long Island) is "adjacent" to the one where she grew up. So most likely, she hasn't had residency in the district before so would need to establish it.

SkateFanBerlin

No, just someone born into excessive wealth and privilege with options others don't have. Nice life, to dodder around in school forever and then buy a seat in Congress. I'm rooting for D'Esposito to hold his seat. Of course, Hughes may end up with an ambassadorship or some other bullshit job if the Dems survive (which hopefully they don't).
Wow, did she do something to you? Why would you post something so negative (not to mention partisan) in an unber thread?

Sylvia

TBD
This is NOT an uber thread - it's supposed to be for news relating to U.S. women who are currently competing. You must not be familiar with Private Citizen's posts in the PI forum ;) (people have since replied to PC there re. SH):
Since this thread is supposed to be about current U.S. women competitors, please continue the Sarah Hughes discussion here:

Sylvia

TBD
The FINAL international for U.S. women this season is done - gold to Cleo Park and silver to Annika Chao in the Adv. Novice event at Mexico Cup in Queretaro - their results & details are posted in the competition thread, starting here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/mexico-cup-may-18-21-queretaro-mex.110709/#post-6435557

Pottenger Academy shared these photos of them with their medals and their coaches there (Tiffany Chin & Russ Scott): https://www.instagram.com/p/CsiTZkHul-T/

Cleo debuted her 2023-24 programs in Mexico (both were choreographed by Misha Ge in March): https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp_arnoPPzd/
Nala” Lion King (Trailerized) - FP
Dans La Nuit [performed by Sarah Brightman, I think] - SP

Annika debuted a SP to "No Roots" by Alice Merton and skated to Adele's "Easy on Me" (her Junior FS music at Nationals in San Jose where she placed 9th).

ptvvibezz

excited for program announcements
Update from Kanon Smith (2021 Junior National silver medalist)
Where do i start. These past few years have been a roller coaster of emotions. On July 19th, 2021, I had broke my ankle for the first time. This injury left me feeling hopeless for the longest time. Recovery and getting back, trying to mentally and physically recover was very draining. Next thing i know, i tore my hip. Everyday was a battle. Being in pain is the worst thing a athlete can be in. Taking months and months off of skating, because we didnt know why my hip was hurting. So many doctors and hospitals only was making my skating worse. But we found the right doctor and found out i tore my labrum. As soon as my hip has healed.... I broke my ankle again. Same ankle, and same exact bone. This was not only mentally but also physically painful. We found out that the bone didnt heal all the way, and that was causing most of my hip pain. We found great doctors, and I took months and months off. I am recovered from all three injuries, and this year is the year i work the hardest. Although the years have been rough, i can only look foward. I am going to work towards all my goals, and become stronger then i once was. I am grateful to have found the light in the tunnel. I want to thank all the pain for making me become a stronger athlete and person. And of course, I want to thank my doctors, my parents, and my coaches for never giving up on me. I am excited to see what the upcoming years bring.

Jammers

I was so looking forward to seeing Kanon Smith develop as a skater she had so much potential as a Junior and then she got injured and we never heard from her again. Sounds like she's going to try to compete again?

emilieh

I was so looking forward to seeing Kanon Smith develop as a skater she had so much potential as a Junior and then she got injured and we never heard from her again. Sounds like she's going to try to compete again?

She placed 6th last fall at Pacific Coast sectionals in a tough field; the top 4 from Coasts went on to finish in the top 6 at Nationals, Mia Kalin (5th) did not qualify either. I thought her effort at Coasts last year was quite strong given the time off for injuries. Hope to see her continue to come back even stronger.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Starr Andrews just posted an major health update on her IG -

Little life update! I have two types of tachycardia. One that was resolved last year by ablation. The second, Atrial Tachycardia recently discovered in the upper left chamber of the heart. It was too risky to ablate given the fact of its location near a very important nerve in the septum. Currently we will visit other treatment plans😊

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
She placed 6th last fall at Pacific Coast sectionals in a tough field; the top 4 from Coasts went on to finish in the top 6 at Nationals, Mia Kalin (5th) did not qualify either. I thought her effort at Coasts last year was quite strong given the time off for injuries. Hope to see her continue to come back even stronger.

I hope she is realistic about what she's capable of. I don't mean that in a negative way, but sometimes it's not feasible to come back from a major injury and be better than you were before, no matter how hard you work.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
I saw Gracie backstage at a local rink show last week and she was still wearing the boot from the broken toe; didn't skate as much in the show as I imagine was initially planned either. Unclear whether she is healing slowly or if something else happened. :(

Sylvia

TBD
Starr posted 2 Instagram story clips yesterday showing her landing a 3S & 3Lo. :)

FSO spoke with Isabeau at Stars on Ice: https://figureskatersonline.com/new...vito-ready-to-start-training-for-next-season/
Excerpt:
FSO: Can you give fans any clues or hints to what your programs are for next season?

Levito: See I would give you clues, but I mean you have to use it in your journal so, unfortunately no. (laughs). But I’ll be announcing them relatively soon.
She says her coach, Yulia Kuznetsova, will choreograph both programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information